1. Post #801
    February 2009
    847 Posts
    What I mostly hate are those server owners that replace the Normal Door Stool with WireMod Door (So it's in "Tools" AND in "Wire") thinking that everyone knows how to use wire (I had to learn the most basic shit just for that, you know, to use the wire tool)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Chile Show Events

2. Post #802
    December 2008
    2,123 Posts
    I do hate how people will know all about wire, don't give tips or help other people with wire, then use it against other people. Like they find all these ways to get around certain rules or shit in servers. I wish it was simple to understand, but when I watch YouTube tutorials, I don't even understand how they figured it out in the first place with all the chips. I usually use wire for bigger things when I don't have enough numbers on the numpad (thrusters, turrets). A lot of people have skill in building, but then there's that whole crowd of people who know wire and just make all of our things we built seem like shit compared to all these things the wire nerds build (tracking turrets, bombs, etc.) Wire was a great tool, but now it's just abused.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

3. Post #803
    Dennab
    May 2008
    968 Posts
    I do hate how people will know all about wire, don't give tips or help other people with wire, then use it against other people. Like they find all these ways to get around certain rules or shit in servers.
    There's a part of the wire community that is tainted with elitism, but most of the time it's just builders who have the "I'm not a tutorial, leave me alone" attitude. The ones who exploit Wiremod for mischievous purposes are mingebags.
    I wish it was simple to understand, but when I watch YouTube tutorials, I don't even understand how they figured it out in the first place with all the chips. I usually use wire for bigger things when I don't have enough numbers on the numpad (thrusters, turrets).
    Some are natural with it, some have the capability to learn how to use it, some may have some difficulty with it, and some just can't get it.

I myself am not that good with Wiremod and I can't work on even the simplest things without in-game help. For now I'll just be happy with my thruster planes and my vanilla props & tool'd cars.
    A lot of people have skill in building, but then there's that whole crowd of people who know wire and just make all of our things we built seem like shit compared to all these things the wire nerds build (tracking turrets, bombs, etc.) Wire was a great tool, but now it's just abused.
    First of all, non-Wire contraptions can be masterpieces. Second, I don't think it's nice to call the humble (but not the "noble") Wire builders "nerds".

Though Wire has paved the road even further, many Wire builders are settled with their cookie-cutter behaviors while waiting to do the same to the creations of the innovative ones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

4. Post #804
    ForMod2013
    June 2009
    2,843 Posts
    I honestly think its made it better, you know, learning new things, making more advanced contraptions, I thinks its great, I don't know too much about wire butI plan on learning more in the future.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #805
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    12,223 Posts
    It has ruined GMod to a certain extent, I agree, but it is still worth using. I remember my days of pushing numpad buttons to steer a boat I built out of Portal and HL2 props (before I started playing online), but I don't want to go back. I've had too much fun with wire.

Unfortunately, my copy of wire is corrupted, so a lot of the key tools (i/e, grabber, thruster, and a few others) refuse to work.

Anyone know where I can get a non SVN download for wire that isn't corrupted?

6. Post #806

February 2009
    16 Posts
    wiremod hasnt ruined it entirely, the use of keyboard for the pods and stuff like that was really needed. but yes, many wire things just go too far. for example, the table making machine: makes a table in just 30 seconds. wow. amazing.

in other words, yes, it has ruined gmod in the way ppl can brag about it, and not teach others cus they think they are good and no one else is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

7. Post #807
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,062 Posts
    in other words, yes, it has ruined gmod in the way ppl can brag about it, and not teach others cus they think they are good and no one else is.
    Yes, but most people object to be treated like a walking Wire Wiki.

If you ask something simple, like "What does applyforce do?", it can be answered by the wiki. If you ask something more complicated, like "How do I make a flight expression?", there are tutorials, or there is trial and error.

I was once asked, "Hey, can you teach me how to make a shield device that spawns props with a prop spawner and faces them towards other players, so they can't shoot me?". That's not tutorial, that's a full fledged system that would require testing.

Asking other people questions is fine, but they are not under obligation to help you. You do not pay them. You are not their boss. Do not, under any circumstances, act like you're the one being slighted when they tell you to kindly eat shit and fall off a goddamn bridge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #808
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    A lot of people have skill in building, but then there's that whole crowd of people who know wire and just make all of our things we built seem like shit compared to all these things the wire nerds build (tracking turrets, bombs, etc.) Wire was a great tool, but now it's just abused.
    But I think you're kind of wrong in a way, yes, an automated turret can be really technically cool, but people how make really good ones are very few. Then there are people who make very visually awesome contraptions, they are also very few. However, some people excel at both, that's when they start creating truly impressive contraptions...

And when someone excel at both skills and show of something, it seems as if everyone just focuses on the fact that wiremod was used... what about the other part? The actual design and structural integrity mostly requires equal thought as well, I'd say those are from the "vanilla" part of gmod.

But as people clearly expressed here, a flying plate over your head is not impressive, and a bathtub car is not impressive either... so what's so wrong with contraptions that have been built out of "equal parts" vanilla gmod and wiremod skills?... because clearly, things wouldn't be half as impressive if they didn't look the part.

To explain it differently; someone creates a "surround music player" in gmod... very impressive! But would it be impressive if there was only sound? No? But if there was only props? No? Hmm...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

9. Post #809
    March 2008
    1,130 Posts
    Wiremod is usefull, but there are jackasses who are showoffs.

Also, E2 is way to complicated, i think they should keep E1 for normal people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

10. Post #810
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    Wiremod is usefull, but there are jackasses who are showoffs.

Also, E2 is way to complicated, i think they should keep E1 for normal people.
    E2 is an improvement from E1, the only "forced" changes that has been made is a better if-statement construct and that you need to specify persistant variables (to avoid spelling errors). And some minor changes to functions and their names.

Anything else is imaginary or perceived, the extensions/improvements are strictly optional. Apart from the two changes above, you should be able to literally copy-and-paste most expressions, with exceptions for potential minor "compilation errors".

11. Post #811
    October 2009
    128 Posts
    I personally think that wire-mod has ruined Gmod. Before it used to be about the building. Now, 3/4 of the contraptions forum is boring wire-mod shit that half of us don't understand and even if you did, is boring as hell.
    Don't get me wrong, I think the people that use wire-mod are smart to understand it, and it is useful for gcombat and the like. I just think people have taken it too far, "Wow, another engine, never seen that before!" I just wish we could go back to the old days where building skill still counted.

/rant
    I disagree. Wiremod is just an scripting addon. It can't ruin GMod unless there's something extremely wrong with it, and I find nothing wrong with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #812
    June 2008
    6 Posts
    I personally agree with you in full :]

13. Post #813
    S.T.A.R.S Member and Honorary B.O.W
    May 2008
    1,725 Posts
    I don't find anything wrong with wiremod, It's really interesting finding out how crazy I can make something before it crashes my game. :V

*Offtopic: However, as I was about to update my wiremod (something I havent done in awhile, which I should have) I find I'm perma banned with no reason.

This angers me, I have litteraly done nothing at all there. Maybe because my account was idle

*Nevermind, I found out i was autobanned because of some Coppa rules or something...

14. Post #814
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    I don't find anything wrong with wiremod, It's really interesting finding out how crazy I can make something before it crashes my game. :V

*Offtopic: However, as I was about to update my wiremod (something I havent done in awhile, which I should have) I find I'm perma banned with no reason.

This angers me, I have litteraly done nothing at all there. Maybe because my account was idle

*Nevermind, I found out i was autobanned because of some Coppa rules or something...
    That's correct, during the new forum update some people got automatically banned (not having agreed to the US COPPA-rule). There's a post over on wiremod about it, including an email address to which you can send your username to get it fixed (if you for some reason still isn't unbanned).

15. Post #815
    May 2008
    1,725 Posts
    That's correct, during the new forum update some people got automatically banned (not having agreed to the US COPPA-rule). There's a post over on wiremod about it, including an email address to which you can send your username to get it fixed (if you for some reason still isn't unbanned).
    I got the address and sent the e-mail yesterday. I'm not sure how long it's going to be before I'm unbanned but If it's gotten lost in the lines persay it's the same as here, scientwist.

Also, what is this "Coppa rule"?

16. Post #816
    June 2007
    459 Posts
    Most of the time I just like to use chips for nostalgia. Which is kinda why I stave off learning E2 for that kind of stuff.

Man, I was shattered when make a box with speakers on every side (so thats like 6) and i was wiring them all to a Button that was ( 0 - 100000) so I could make the pitch really high and annoying. And he's like,
    Yeah or you could do that in 5 seconds through E2 :\
    I replied: or I could take 10 seconds and do it this way.

17. Post #817

August 2009
    32 Posts
    "[VgU]StevoB[ADARI]: Now if you don't have wire you are a minge/noob on gmod. You just don't like wire because you don't know how to use it.
    [CC2] Mr.F!žZŸ -: stfu."

As long as i don't use it, then i'm okay. But since 90% of gmod players use it, yes it ruined gmod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

18. Post #818
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,017 Posts
    It has split most of the community, but it is very powerful, and if not abused, very fun.
    You've got to remember, Wire is an addon, just like phx and stacker, yet I don't see any threads about those.
    The mingebags ruined Garry's Mod, Wiremod just made it easier for the smarter ones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

19. Post #819

August 2009
    32 Posts
    It has split most of the community, but it is very powerful, and if not abused, very fun.
    You've got to remember, Wire is an addon, just like phx and stacker, yet I don't see any threads about those.
    The mingebags ruined Garry's Mod, Wiremod just made it easier for the smarter ones.
    You don't see a thread about the others addons because you aren't banned from a server or being called a minge for not using it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #820
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,017 Posts
    Hence the adminge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #821
    September 2008
    283 Posts
    You don't see a thread about the others addons because you aren't banned from a server or being called a minge for not using it.
    That didn't make sense at all...

Wiremod didn't ruined Gmod. The thing that ruined gmod are those kids doing things that they think it's cool but it's not (sex pose with rag doll, shooting everywhere)
    The mingebag are the one who post things that are useless and shity!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

22. Post #822
    November 2008
    1,538 Posts
    I do think E2 ruined gmod
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

23. Post #823
    May 2008
    1,725 Posts
    What about making things like an emergency return teleporter?

Example:
    Make a Teleporter Module activated by keypad.
    Place a locater beacon somewhere youd like to go back to.
    Player weld the TM to yourself after making it no collide with anything.
    Find yourself somewhere unsafe? Teleport out!

It's not completly sound, but it mostly works and is pretty fun. Works well with cars too if you set the Z-axis to the right height, but with different heights in terrain it can become a hassle if someone moves your locater. Also not forgetting to put an X or Y offset to the locater, you don't wanna prop-lag in/onto the locater.

24. Post #824

August 2009
    32 Posts
    Yes, thats cool. But tell me who does that, instead of making a auto-turrent that kills everyone?
    Wire IS cool, the only thing that made wire bad are the players.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events

25. Post #825

August 2008
    3 Posts
    wow i dont even think garry's mod would be half as fun with out wire. it allows for more multiplayer friendly contraptions. your just too lazy to figure it out. i took a programming class in high school that was more complicated than wire and trust me that class was easy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

26. Post #826
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,062 Posts
    Yes, thats cool. But tell me who does that, instead of making a auto-turrent that kills everyone?
    Wire IS cool, the only thing that made wire bad are the players.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

27. Post #827
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,016 Posts
    E2 has too many features. I enjoyed Garrys mod before the E2 actually.

nuff said.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #828
    August 2008
    614 Posts
    I am starting to hate wire because every god damn time it's updated I have to reinstall gmod completely because something keeps messing with wire and making it refuse to update or even reverse update.

29. Post #829
    May 2008
    1,725 Posts
    I am starting to hate wire because every god damn time it's updated I have to reinstall gmod completely because something keeps messing with wire and making it refuse to update or even reverse update.
    Then that means your updating WireMod incorrectly. You may want to go Wires site and re-read the install instructions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #830
    Streetwise Angel Booksmart Devil
    January 2010
    3,043 Posts
    Nah, I don't think that Wiremod ruined garrysmod. Even though I can't wire for the life of me, it looks spectacular, and I just need to get my act together and get to leaning it. >.<
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #831

October 2009
    122 Posts
    Oh yes, lets get rid of the most popular thing on gmod. To be honest, the only reason I still play gmod is because of wiremod. (And PERP2, can't forget that.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #832
    January 2010
    5,139 Posts
    I HATE IT its to hard and i saw a fucking mingebag crash a server with a wire mod thing witch lit up the map with well i don't know but it lagged like shit...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #833
    teh

January 2010
    10 Posts
    I find wiremod to be awesome!
    I've took the time and watched some tutorials on, let's say, how to build an automatic door or turret and I've learned the steps by heart. However I'm not yet in the "wiremod" logic.
    I see great potential though. I'll try coprehending sometime.

I don't see how it ruined gmod, to be honest. I've been using the original gmod for a year or more and ideas still come to mind. I use the PHX3 models even less now. I find a fort built of fences and barrels pretty awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Greece Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #834
    October 2006
    2 Posts
    Wow, I can't believe this thread is still going. Slowly, moving nonetheless.

Wiremod is a great addition to Gmod, but the Gmod community itself needs a little work.
    Its been quite some time since I've gone onto a server that supports Wire and haven't seen a phx plate kill someone, autoturrets or one of the other spammed ideas.

The cause though is obviously, in my opinion, is that, the kids hop on a Wire Wiki, learn how to do one basic yet "fun" (abuse-able) contraption, and once they finish the tutorial, they haven't learned a thing so they continue to create what they do know.

In my time, I have seen absolutely amazing wire contraptions, ones that have made me question why I haven't joined the bandwagon (I'm an old school Gmodder myself.)
    Which does show that Wiremod is an amazing adaptation to Gmod,
    It's just sad to see how little its used for constructive purposes.

35. Post #835
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,017 Posts
    It's not bad.
    Just the other day I made an applyForce ZPM block using E2, 3 zpms, and a zpm block (both from stargate resources)

I had it where you hold E on a zpm to pick it up/put it down.

36. Post #836
    May 2008
    1,725 Posts
    I hadent noticed this thread until my dated earlier post (defending wiremod BTW) and it's the reason I decided to update my long stagnent gmod and wire, I also got the most recent PHX3 update (late).

Theres a few things I've tryed to build myself but I'm not really that great at inovation with wire yet still, Like I had tryed to build an auto homing missile, but I couldent get the vector thrusters to aim right. Which brings me to E2, which brings a type of latent insanity to gmod and I've seen some really wild shit come from E2.

I think wiremod should come with Gmod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #837
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,017 Posts
    It's been in Garry's Mod for years and Garry doesn't take any notice. I don't think that will ever happen.
    And yes, I'm very active on the forum right now.

38. Post #838
    May 2008
    1,725 Posts
    It's been in Garry's Mod for years and Garry doesn't take any notice. I don't think that will ever happen.
    And yes, I'm very active on the forum right now.
    You're probably right but I figure he just doesn't want to put out an update every time theres an update to wire, it would be very tedious.

39. Post #839
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,017 Posts
    /agree\
    \agree/

Only thing I don't like is that exported wiremod doesn't show the right update.

40. Post #840

April 2008
    4 Posts
    I see quite the trend in this topic... First it was GMod vs WireMod, now its WireMod vs. E2.

Both are the exact same thing - people who don't get it whining. Either they try and just dont understand how to use it, or they dont even try at all. Either way, they whine because they dont understand how to use WireMod.

Personally, I think to create truly great contraptions, you need BOTH Gmod and wiremod, either gates or E2. I tend to stay on the Wiremod/E2 side myself because I can't build worth crap. I'm fine with that. If you are better at building than wiring, then stick with that, you dont need to complain about wiremod because you can't wire. Get over it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)