1. Post #1
    June 2007
    24 Posts
    Requirements for installation:
    -GCFScape <http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/fil...cfscape131.exe>
    -Portal and EP2 <duh>
    -Knowledge of the difference between left clicking and right clicking.

Installation method:
    1.Navigate to “[your server location]/server/orangebox

2.Create two folders in the orangebox folder, one called ep2, the other called portal.

3.Navigate to “ProgramFiles/Steam/steamapps”

4.Double click the .gcf file called “Episode two content”, once open, double click the folder called “ep2”. Right click the folder called “models” and in the pulldown menu that pops up, click extract. Choose the folder that you created earlier “ep2” and click ok, and it will begin extracting. Repeat this for the “sound” folder, "scenes" folder and "scripts" folder. Close GCFScape.

NOTE:If you are only after the portal/ep2 models, then disregard any given information about extracting sound and materials folders, but it is necessary to install scenes and scripts to avoid crashes. Also, if you want to save time, you can just hold down control and select multiple folders for extracting at once.

5. After the previous extraction is complete, open up “Episode two materials.gcf”. Double click the folder called “ep2”, then right click the materials folder, then select extract from the pulldown menu, and select the folder you created earlier, “ep2”, and click ok. Close GCFScape.

6.After the previous extraction, open up “half-life 2 episode two english.gcf”. Double click the folder called “ep2”, then right click on the “sound” folder, select extract from the pulldown menu, from the menu that pops up, select the folder you created earlier, “ep2”, and click ok. Close GCFScape.

7. Now that ep2 is out of the way, you can begin installing the portal content. Assuming you still have your steamapps folder open, open up “portal content.gcf”. Double click the folder called “portal”, then right click the folder called “materials”. From the pulldown menu, select extract, then from the menu that pops up, select the folder you created earlier, “portal”, and click ok. Repeat this for the “models” folder, “sound” folder, "scripts" folder and "scenes" folder. Close GCFScape.

8. After the previous extraction, open up “portal english.gcf”. Double click the folder called “portal”, then right click the folder called “sound”, select extract from the pulldown menu, then form the menu that pops up, select the folder you created earlier, “portal”, and click ok. Close GCFScape.

9. Installation complete, well done.

Yes this guide was optimised for novices, so I’m sorry for the repetetiveness. And no it has nothing to do with science, there is no "guide" icon.

If the content does not show up, cut and paste the portal and ep2 folders and move them back one folder to the server root.

Update:Added a small snippet that tells you to install scripts and scenes, this fixes the jalopy crash issue and makes the hunter npc produce proper sounds, aswell as the flechette gun. Thanks to "BODYPRINT" for providing the information on fixing the jalopy crash.

Update: I hear one can also install Steam on a dedicated server and download the GCF files. This is an alternative option if uploading is slower than downloading from Steam.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 6Zing Zing x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,821 Posts
    How do I install this to my theoretical dedicated server in a datacentre with my 32kbps upload speed?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    June 2007
    24 Posts
    Catdaemon posted:
    How do I install this to my theoretical dedicated server in a datacentre with my 32kbps upload speed?
    [theoretically]You don't :p. Send them a disk if you're terribly desperate. Or leave it uploading until it's finished...Or wait till some official method is available.[/theoretically]

4. Post #4
    August 2005
    3,941 Posts
    Hmmm. I didn't create two new folders, I made an addon instead. I thought adding two new folders wouldn't work.

Edit:

The models folder is just 500 mb anyway. It shouldn't take more than a night to upload to your server Catdaemon.

5. Post #5
    June 2007
    24 Posts
    CapsAdmin posted:
    Hmmm. I didn't create two new folders, I made an addon instead. I thought adding two new folders wouldn't work.

Edit:

The models folder is just 500 mb anyway. It shouldn't take more than a night to upload to your server Catdaemon.
    I think he was only using that as an example, at least I think so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    August 2005
    3,941 Posts
    I don't think so. He asked how to do this in #gmod.

7. Post #7
    June 2007
    24 Posts
    CapsAdmin posted:
    I don't think so. He asked how to do this in #gmod.
    Ok, I just assumed because he used the term "theoretical".

8. Post #8
    December 2007
    5 Posts
    CapsAdmin posted:
    How exactly did you make an addon? That sounds like a better option to me.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,126 Posts
    Code:
    "AddonInfo"
    {
    	"name"		"HL2:EP2 Content"
    	"version"	"1.0"
    	"up_date"	"18th January 2008"
    	"author_name"	"Daxter Fellowes"
    	"author_email"	""
    	"author_url"	""

"info"		"HL2:EP2 Conetent"

// Won't be active unless the following GCFs are available and
    	// are mounted
    	"GCFRequires"
    	{
    		"0"		"420"
    	}
    }

10. Post #10

November 2005
    13 Posts
    In instruction 6, change it to "Half-Life 2 Episode 2 English", since there is no episode 2 english gcf file. Confused me for a bit.

edit: Oh and also, do we need to extract episode 1 content, I never did, does that mean I should have before?

Also, if we downloaded the tf2 stuff from valve, we don't need to extract tf2 content right?

11. Post #11
    June 2007
    24 Posts
    Axim posted:
    In instruction 6, change it to "Half-Life 2 Episode 2 English", since there is no episode 2 english gcf file. Confused me for a bit.

edit: Oh and also, do we need to extract episode 1 content, I never did, does that mean I should have before?

Also, if we downloaded the tf2 stuff from valve, we don't need to extract tf2 content right?
    Thanks for that, and it really depends, once you know how to install one game's content than the rest is self explanitory. If you want to view ep1 models, which there isn't really many of anyway, just extract them from the appropriate GCFs and if you have downloaded the tf2 content then their is no need to extract them from GCFs.

12. Post #12
    May 2007
    12 Posts
    I have dedicated server that's runned by ArtOfWarCentral, I need to add CS:S Content. If I create a folder for CS:S content, with the models and materials inside, Do I name it "cstrike" or what?

13. Post #13
    June 2007
    24 Posts
    UCAGOASHADOW posted:
    I have dedicated server that's runned by ArtOfWarCentral, I need to add CS:S Content. If I create a folder for CS:S content, with the models and materials inside, Do I name it "cstrike" or what?
    Well for css content, you can use the hlds update tool to download everything, I've never tried extracting them, but yes the folder would be called "cstrike".

14. Post #14
    May 2007
    12 Posts
    I'm having a bit of trouble with hlds update tool. I don't really know how to use it and I'm sort of confused.

15. Post #15
    June 2007
    24 Posts
    UCAGOASHADOW posted:
    I'm having a bit of trouble with hlds update tool. I don't really know how to use it and I'm sort of confused.
    http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/s...d.php?t=480582

16. Post #16
    May 2007
    12 Posts
    When I have hlds update tool, and I click on it, it starts up something then closes in 1 second. I'm not sure what this is. Help?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it, thank you.

17. Post #17
    loc
    October 2005
    10 Posts
    That helped me a lot. Thanks.

One problem: If anyone spawns a rollermine, the server crashes with a engine error. Do you have the same problem or is something wrong with my installation?

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    97 Posts
    Catdaemon posted:
    2 days old, you might have already done this, but just for other people reading this thread... Most game control panels will allow you to upload a .zip or .rar file and then unpack it via the control panel once it is uploaded. This took my 500MB folder down to a manageable 130MB which only tool about an hour to upload at my 45ish kb/s.

19. Post #19
    April 2007
    1,093 Posts
    loc posted:
    That helped me a lot. Thanks.

One problem: If anyone spawns a rollermine, the server crashes with a engine error. Do you have the same problem or is something wrong with my installation?
    My server crashed once because a player spawned a rollermine in space.

20. Post #20

October 2007
    52 Posts
    Ah thanks this helped a lot.

21. Post #21
    July 2008
    2 Posts
    Thanks alot for this, really helpfull.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,126 Posts
    If content is there but it just doesn't seem to be working, take a look at the cfg/content.txt

23. Post #23
    January 2008
    12 Posts
    Great guide, thank you very much for posting this.

24. Post #24
    August 2008
    21 Posts
    great guide can this be stickied?

25. Post #25
    August 2007
    187 Posts
    Very well written guide.

26. Post #26
    September 2007
    2 Posts
    Catdaemon posted:

What I did was install steam on to my dedicated server and downloaded the games, through the dedicated server. Then I just pulled the GCF's out of the correct folder. This saved me from using 8 to 10 hours of constant uploading.

27. Post #27
    August 2008
    1,209 Posts
    when i open it it says: failed to open file. error: 0x00000020. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONGM?????

28. Post #28
    May 2011
    26 Posts
    Requirements for installation:
    -GCFScape <http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/fil...cfscape131.exe>
    -Portal and EP2 <duh>
    -Knowledge of the difference between left clicking and right clicking.

Installation method:
    1.Navigate to “[your server location]/server/orangebox

2.Create two folders in the orangebox folder, one called ep2, the other called portal.

3.Navigate to “ProgramFiles/Steam/steamapps”

4.Double click the .gcf file called “Episode two content”, once open, double click the folder called “ep2”. Right click the folder called “models” and in the pulldown menu that pops up, click extract. Choose the folder that you created earlier “ep2” and click ok, and it will begin extracting. Repeat this for the “sound” folder, "scenes" folder and "scripts" folder. Close GCFScape.

NOTE:If you are only after the portal/ep2 models, then disregard any given information about extracting sound and materials folders, but it is necessary to install scenes and scripts to avoid crashes. Also, if you want to save time, you can just hold down control and select multiple folders for extracting at once.

5. After the previous extraction is complete, open up “Episode two materials.gcf”. Double click the folder called “ep2”, then right click the materials folder, then select extract from the pulldown menu, and select the folder you created earlier, “ep2”, and click ok. Close GCFScape.

6.After the previous extraction, open up “half-life 2 episode two english.gcf”. Double click the folder called “ep2”, then right click on the “sound” folder, select extract from the pulldown menu, from the menu that pops up, select the folder you created earlier, “ep2”, and click ok. Close GCFScape.

7. Now that ep2 is out of the way, you can begin installing the portal content. Assuming you still have your steamapps folder open, open up “portal content.gcf”. Double click the folder called “portal”, then right click the folder called “materials”. From the pulldown menu, select extract, then from the menu that pops up, select the folder you created earlier, “portal”, and click ok. Repeat this for the “models” folder, “sound” folder, "scripts" folder and "scenes" folder. Close GCFScape.

8. After the previous extraction, open up “portal english.gcf”. Double click the folder called “portal”, then right click the folder called “sound”, select extract from the pulldown menu, then form the menu that pops up, select the folder you created earlier, “portal”, and click ok. Close GCFScape.

9. Installation complete, well done.

Yes this guide was optimised for novices, so I’m sorry for the repetetiveness. And no it has nothing to do with science, there is no "guide" icon.

If the content does not show up, cut and paste the portal and ep2 folders and move them back one folder to the server root.

Update:Added a small snippet that tells you to install scripts and scenes, this fixes the jalopy crash issue and makes the hunter npc produce proper sounds, aswell as the flechette gun. Thanks to "BODYPRINT" for providing the information on fixing the jalopy crash.

Update: I hear one can also install Steam on a dedicated server and download the GCF files. This is an alternative option if uploading is slower than downloading from Steam.
    How do I use the Steam option? I have the requirements to do so but have not yet found a "Download GCFs" feature for either game.

29. Post #29
    DaemonServers UK
    April 2009
    432 Posts
    To get the .gcf files you must own the games and have them downloaded and played at least once, then you can follow the above steps.

30. Post #30

April 2009
    121 Posts
    thanks but.. um.... how do i install ep1....

**EDIT** i really really need to start checking post dates....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,525 Posts
    thanks but.. um.... how do i install ep1....

**EDIT** i really really need to start checking post dates....
    Just follow this golden rule:

If it's not on the first two pages, it's probably 1+ years old, or really not worth bumping anyways. Glad to see someone stepping up and being accountable, though.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    Just throwing this out there, not trying to hijack anything, but it may or may not help people.

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1044633?highlight=

Im currently teaching myself VC++ so I can rebuild the program in a more efficient manner.

33. Post #33

May 2010
    14 Posts
    sorry for the necrothreadia. How do I put the content on my dedi? I own a mac...