1. Post #1
    Q42
    August 2006
    160 Posts
    Rant:
    The recent spacebuild has been extremely disappointing to me, due to over complication and slow-running-on-my-computer-itude, and not to mention that RD has totally outstayed it's welcome in my books.

Thus, This addon is not for people who want to build a shipping crate with hoverballs and some kind of resource network with the (rather boring) purpose in mind of exploring bits and chunks of a binary space partition.

Instead, I built it for myself and anyone else with this goal in mind: Just building something cool to go in space without any bells, whistles, or arbitrary space death. This addon is dedicated to all those builders who just want to bloody well build something, without any arbitrary restraint to their creativity.

What does this do?
    This addon allows you to use spacebuild maps in the regular sandbox gamemode with properly simulated planetary gravity. This avoids both gamemode switching and code-heaviness. It also uses an updated version of my spacebuild gravity module, with updated math and a slightly better algorithm. This means that it is way, WAY easier to get things into orbit around a planet than previously.

In addition, it won't conflict with the spacebuild gamemode, and will in fact add the SGM simulation to it and fix whatever objects their own script misses when checking gravity.

It does not affect player gravity, because affecting player gravity is more annoying than useful IMO. I could change this if a lot of people ask.

V1.2
    -now with convars.
    -some performance fixes.

gm_sbx_gravitypull is the strength of the gravity in multiples of normal gravity

gm_sbx_gravitydecaystep is the falloff step of the gravity.

Setting gm_sbx_gravitypull to 0 gets extremely good performance for large space battles.

Some tard has been going around telling people how buggy this is. Protip: I've never found a single bug with it. If you find a bug, TELL ME SO I CAN FIX IT ARGH DON'T COMPLAIN IF YOU DON'T WANT IT FIXED

V1.1
    -takes drag out of space.

V1

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    555 Posts
    Looks Cool...does it support LS2 and RD2?

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,020 Posts
    Looks really cool. I hope to see this up on a few servers as I'd like to give it a shot. Especially planetary gravity :D

4. Post #4
    Q42
    August 2006
    160 Posts
    EragonRulez posted:
    I don't see why not, but you won't need either. That's the point.

5. Post #5
    June 2007
    172 Posts
    Cool , well done Q42!

6. Post #6
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    EragonRulez posted:
    I think you're missing the point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    2,942 Posts
    The point he has missed.

8. Post #8
    September 2007
    120 Posts
    So you can't die anymore in space but you still keep the no gravity thing? Nice.

Much better for gcombat also.

9. Post #9
    April 2007
    37 Posts
    Quick question to make sure things are perfectly clear: this is for sandbox so no gamemode has to be selected in order to activate it, and the idea is that you get everything from spacebuild maps minus "drowning"/damaging effects, correct?

And I think it would be awesome if you made it affect player gravity. I guess I'm the first person to ask. :)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,859 Posts
    Actually, make it a toogle convar thing for player gravity. That way, it doesn't have to be one way or the other.

11. Post #11

August 2005
    51 Posts
    I like the idea of player gravity toggling, also, Nice work!

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,739 Posts
    Ahaha, I lol'd at the title. I do love this though, now I can have just regular space build without the annoying drowning noise.

13. Post #13
    Q42
    August 2006
    160 Posts
    I'll explain my reasoning with the player gravity: If you're building a space station, would you rather that space didn't affect players so that you could walk properly in the corridors, or would you rather that it more realistically made you unable to move? I'd rather walk, but I'll see about that convar.

Foda posted:
    Ahaha, I lol'd at the title. I do love this though, now I can have just regular space build without the annoying drowning noise.
    :D

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,859 Posts
    I'm also against the gravity adjustment - I'm just saying it would be nice to have it either way.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    425 Posts
    Q42 I LOVE YOU! this is exactly what i want!

16. Post #16
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,109 Posts
    This is really good - It's like Spacebuild without the complication.

As well made as they are, the SpaceBuild 2 and Weapons system was far too complicated to actually have any fun at all (QCombat was simple and good ;)); I'd spend 20 or so minutes rigging up a resource generation network only to destroy it in battle. It was just too much effort.

17. Post #17
    November 2005
    11 Posts
    EragonRulez posted:
    That's exactly why I never release anything. The first post is "Does it support <insert wire related thing here>?". Once you've said no to that you lose 90% of the audience.

Nice to see other rebels in this forum though. :)

18. Post #18
    Q42
    August 2006
    160 Posts
    ShadowWolf posted:
    That's exactly why I never release anything. The first post is "Does it support <insert wire related thing here>?". Once you've said no to that you lose 90% of the audience.

Nice to see other rebels in this forum though. :)
    People seem to be tired of connecting tubes together by now.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,498 Posts
    Q42 posted:
    People seem to be tired of connecting tubes together by now.
    It was fun for a while, I made a PHX panel that jumped up and down :(

20. Post #20
    March 2007
    128 Posts
    Q42 posted:
    I'll explain my reasoning with the player gravity: If you're building a space station, would you rather that space didn't affect players so that you could walk properly in the corridors, or would you rather that it more realistically made you unable to move? I'd rather walk, but I'll see about that convar.

:D
    Well until there's a solution to the "it randomly starts flinging you around inside a contraption that's in space" problem that won't work either :) But hey I'd agree - I'd rather have gravity. Why Valve designed movement in zero-g to allow you movement laterally but not vertically is a mystery to me.

On a side note, excellent addon! I'll have to test it out today in my Orbiter.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    214 Posts
    This is way cool! :D
    Think I found a ... umm "LaGrange Point"(?) in gm_spacebuild3 where gravities from the surrounding planets sort of cancel each other out. Definitely need a map with just 2-3 planetary bodies. Getting something in orbit is a pain in the butt now with all the bodies being so close.

22. Post #22
    Q42
    August 2006
    160 Posts
    tuusita posted:
    This is way cool! :D
    Think I found a ... umm "LaGrange Point"(?) in gm_spacebuild3 where gravities from the surrounding planets sort of cancel each other out. Definitely need a map with just 2-3 planetary bodies. Getting something in orbit is a pain in the butt now with all the bodies being so close.
    Even just one huge planet in the center of a big void would do it.

In gooniverse I've noticed that all the space dreck tends to end up under the one ruined civ planet. I think I need some convars to control how the gravity acts too.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    517 Posts
    I think this might actually become more popular than spacebuild.

Spacebuild has become so overly elaborate that getting anything done in a multi-player server is more frustrating than fun.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    214 Posts
    paul1290 posted:
    I think this might actually become more popular than spacebuild.

Spacebuild has become so overly elaborate that getting anything done in a multi-player server is more frustrating than fun.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it did. It takes too much time and stuff to make a working spaceship with LS and RD to enjoy a quick ride in space. :(

25. Post #25
    April 2007
    151 Posts
    Q42 posted:
    Maybe a selectable option, somewhere? To turn player gravity on and off...

tuusita posted:
    Think I found a ... umm "Lagrange Point"(?) in gm_spacebuild3...
    That's exactly what it is. *thumbs up* Basically, there are five Lagrange points "in the vicinity of two orbiting masses" where a third, smaller mass can orbit at a fixed distance from the two larger masses. Meaning it's a stable orbit, and the smaller object doesn't shift position.
    The Halo installations use a Lagrange point between a gas giant and (one of) it's moon(s).
    Hooray for physics!

On-topic, this is a great addon. I was having so much trouble with the other one, I had to uninstall it.

26. Post #26
    August 2006
    18 Posts
    The concept is great, and I appreciate it since Spacebuild was wonderful until it got too complicated. Although, on sb_Gooniverse, it is very choppy and I only get around 15 fps on average. Without this addon the map runs smoothly with much higher fps.

27. Post #27
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    14,134 Posts
    I wish more things were this simple. I miss the times of Gmod 9.0.4 when things were much simpler, where a man could be a space ship and fly it around without having to monitor 30 different systems, and people could build vehicles without having to rope over a million insignificant things together just to make the vehicle move forward, and people shot homing pink saw blades out of rocket launchers.
    (Wire killed online sandbox for me.)

28. Post #28
    Q42
    August 2006
    160 Posts
    thed3f posted:
    The concept is great, and I appreciate it since Spacebuild was wonderful until it got too complicated. Although, on sb_Gooniverse, it is very choppy and I only get around 15 fps on average. Without this addon the map runs smoothly with much higher fps.
    with or without that bloody spacestation?

29. Post #29
    August 2006
    18 Posts
    Q42 posted:
    with or without that bloody spacestation?
    The small thing made out of phx props? With.

30. Post #30
    June 2005
    347 Posts
    tuusita posted:
    I wouldn't be surprised if it did. It takes too much time and stuff to make a working spaceship with LS and RD to enjoy a quick ride in space. :(
    Well LS isn''t needed for SB, LS can be used with it. But you don't need it. But most server just have it installed.

SB itself just provides the gravity changes, sets some environment variables(and has some basic stuff for high-temperature Sunburn planets and stars) and add bloom/color effects to things like stars and planets.

LS uses those environment variables and makes you need things like air, coolant, ..., Temperature damage, Pressure damage, .... So without LS you wouldn't have to much work building stuff either in SB.

31. Post #31
    Q42
    August 2006
    160 Posts
    thed3f posted:
    The small thing made out of phx props? With.
    Delete it. Don't know why, but it lags like nothing else.

Edit:

snake_1_1 posted:
    Well LS isn''t needed for SB, LS can be used with it. But you don't need it. But most server just have it installed.

SB itself just provides the gravity changes, sets some environment variables(and has some basic stuff for high-temperature Sunburn planets and stars) and add bloom/color effects to things like stars and planets.

LS uses those environment variables and makes you need things like air, coolant, ..., Temperature damage, Pressure damage, .... So without LS you wouldn't have to much work building stuff either in SB.
    Ptchah. This is not your advert thread.

You make CDS, I make SpaceBox. You put in heat damage for realism, I take it out because nobody wants it. It's not a matter of how long the feature list gets, it's a matter of quality. I'm not saying that this is BETTER than spacebuild, but what I am doing is fulfilling a demand in the community, free of ego.

32. Post #32
    June 2005
    347 Posts
    Q42 posted:

Edit:

Ptchah. This is not your advert thread.

You make CDS, I make SpaceBox. You put in heat damage for realism, I take it out because nobody wants it. It's not a matter of how long the feature list gets, it's a matter of quality. I'm not saying that this is BETTER than spacebuild, but what I am doing is fulfilling a demand in the community, free of ego.
    I wasn't replying to your thread, just to the post someone made about LS being needed with SB while it's not.

Your addon is good for people who don't want the things SB has extra. If people want to use yours then they should. Not everyone like the extras SB has, so it could be good for them to have an alternative.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    214 Posts
    I agree with you here, Q42.

This addon is for "quick space builders" and their (/our?) simple constructions. I don't have enough free time to spend on making a complete spaceship nowadays but I DO like spacebuild. So this one here hits the spot for me. :)

34. Post #34

August 2007
    15 Posts
    Can someone explain the difference of spacebox to sandbox?

I played spacebox and I can't tell the difference :/

35. Post #35
    Q42
    August 2006
    160 Posts
    You wouldn't, until you load up a spacebuild map.

36. Post #36
    April 2007
    37 Posts
    How about everyone quit fighting about it like 5 year olds and just accept that some people like one and some the other? Play your gamemode of choice and quit bashing the other.

37. Post #37
    August 2006
    18 Posts
    Q42 posted:
    Yup I did and it works great now. This is infinitely fun. Great work. :)

38. Post #38

April 2007
    35 Posts
    I agree with you Q42. Space build is becoming WAY to complex. I mean, I don't mind having to make a ship with life support but now it's like you need a resource to power EVERYTHING. Not to mention the fact that it causes some serious lag.

39. Post #39

August 2007
    15 Posts
    Q42 posted:
    You wouldn't, until you load up a spacebuild map.
    I did

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    6,845 Posts
    My god... my prayers have been answered! I'm not the only one who hates wire! Thank you ...

Thank you god...

*Cries*