1. Post #561
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,450 Posts
    I lost smartness here, so I'm going to edit my post.

2. Post #562
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    603 Posts
    The toggleConsole(false) does not seem to work. :(

3. Post #563
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    31 Posts
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but are there textures on anything? All I get is grey models.

4. Post #564
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,072 Posts
    nullsquared posted:
    I think you might actually "temporarily fix" that by typing in:
    Code:
    toggleConsole(false)
    Let me check my code to see which function it was, exactly...

Damn. And all this time I thought my CMOS battery died, and that's why I lost all of my personal settings.

Be back in a few seconds.
    The CMOS battery only saves your BIOS settings and time and date. :science:

5. Post #565
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,450 Posts
    Sippeangelo posted:
    The toggleConsole(false) does not seem to work. :(
    Hm... What about d_toggleConsole(false)? I just can't remember what I named the darn function.

6. Post #566
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    603 Posts
    nullsquared posted:
    Hm... What about d_toggleConsole(false)? I just can't remember what I named the darn function.
    Nope :(

7. Post #567
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,450 Posts
    Sippeangelo posted:
    Nope :(
    There we go:
    Code:
    ss->registerCFunc("enableConsole", &LuaAPI::enableConsole);
    So you'd need to type in:
    enableConsole(false)

Edit:

Master Shake posted:
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but are there textures on anything? All I get is grey models.
    Then you don't support the shaders. Try the fall backs posted back a few pages. Actually, everyone try the fall backs if it's going to slow.

And, I'll say it again - at this point, it's better to just wait for the beta. I've fixed so many bugs by now, and there's more to go.

8. Post #568
    Zye
    August 2007
    44 Posts
    nullsquared posted:
    O_o

What hardware do you have? Never heard of such ... oddness.
    Decent, but it happens everytime, though I always enter something wrong and I can't see The "C" in "Console" or anything I type.

Whoa, run-on sentence.

9. Post #569
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    31 Posts
    Crashed

...eh, I'm done trying out the development build. Like you said nullsquared, it will be better to wait for the beta. From what I got to see, though, you did a great job. I'm going to explain the quirks I had with it, and maybe it will help you in beta development (or maybe it won't).

I've got a PCIe slot with a shitty Radeon X300 (WOO!). Of all games I've played on the computer (almost exclusively Source games), I can run them all on decent settings. I've got 2 gigs of RAM.

Anyway...here is how I crashed:

I was running it on D3D primarily, and the textures didn't load. I got a smooth framerate though, and I tossed a few gray cubes through a few gray portals and they landed on the gray floor. I noticed that text didn't show up in the game, I had to load the level blindly, typing invisible letters into the invisible console.

So, then I changed it to OGL and fired it up. The text showed up fine, and the intro (the logos) looked less grainy than before. Yay! So I load the map, and it seems to load fine. Lo and behold, textures appear!

...But then the strangest thing happened: My computer's monitor stopped recognizing the computer...at all. the little green power light turned yellow, and I couldn't do anything about it. I shook the mouse, tapped the keyboard, CTRL+ALT+DEL, everything. So I powered down the computer and rebooted.

Is it my shitty setup that crashed me, a bug in your coding (involving OGL), or a bit of both?

Either way, good luck, I'm looking forward to it.

10. Post #570
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,450 Posts
    That almost sounds like my shaders killed your machine (actually, yours too, Zye). They're extremely long, and there's a possibility that your card had trouble running it. D3D mode just didn't do the shaders, and since they passed under OpenGL, your card just gave up. Or something. I just tried on my X850XT - same thing (same generation of cards). Yeah, it really seems like the long shader passes as "OK", and then is too complicated for the card, so weird stuff happens. Obviously, will be fixed when I get around to actually doing graphics compability.

Wait, did any of you try the fall backs HashBox posted? They might actually fix both lag and crashes. Maybe.
    http://www.2shared.com/file/2821507/...fallbacks.html

11. Post #571
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    31 Posts
    nullsquared posted:
    That almost sounds like my shaders killed your machine (actually, your's too, Zye). They're extremely long, and there's a possibility that your card had trouble running it. D3D mode just didn't do the shaders, and since they passed under OpenGL, your card just gave up. Or something. I just tried on my X850XT - same thing (same generation of cards). Yeah, it really seems like the long shader passes as "OK", and then is too complicated for the card, so weird stuff happens. Obviously, will be fixed when I get around to actually doing graphics compability.

Wait, did any of you try the fall backs HashBox posted? They might actually fix both lag and crashes. Maybe.
    No, I didn't bother to go through it after I had done a reboot. But now that you've dragged them out of the thread, I might as well reinstall your dev build and the fallbacks. I will troubleshoot my graphics card with the fallbacks and report back. My computer has had trouble in OGL mode on other programs before, so I think I will only test the fallbacks in D3D.

If I get any weird results, I'll post them. It'd be nice if you cater to us low-end graphics card users in the beta, but it shouldn't be one of your priorities. I can handle going through a couple of unsupported betas if it is too outrageous of an optimization (y'know, it's about time to get a new card).

EDIT:

That link to fallbacks didn't work. I searched 2shared for "fallbacks" and found just one file on the site that is named that. So I'm downloading that. I'll post the direct link if I can get it, 2shared is being weird.

That should be it.

...Huh, it is the same url as yours. Maybe it didn't load the first time as a fluke. Well, click my link if nullsquared's doesn't work, even though they look the same.

12. Post #572
    Zye
    August 2007
    44 Posts
    What file do I put the fallbacks in?

13. Post #573
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    31 Posts
    Zye posted:
    What file do I put the fallbacks in?
    Just drop both file folders and all the files within that come in the download into the "data" folder. When it prompts for you to overwrite things, say "Yes to All."

14. Post #574
    January 2008
    334 Posts
    I'm getting this error on both of my computers:

main.log posted:
    19:21:06: D3D9RenderSystem::createRenderWindow "Portalized", 1024x768 windowed miscParams: FSAA=2 vsync=false
    19:21:06: D3D9 : Created D3D9 Rendering Window 'Portalized' : 792x573, 32bpp
    19:21:06: D3D9 : WARNING - disabling VSync in windowed mode can cause timing issues at lower frame rates, turn VSync on if you observe this problem.
    19:21:06: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to create Direct3D9 Device: Invalid call in D3D9RenderWindow::createD3DResources at D:\Ogre_CVS\ogrenew\RenderSystems\Direct3D9\src\Og reD3D9RenderWindow.cpp (line 573)
    Any ideas?

15. Post #575
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,409 Posts
    Invalid Call is an error on his part I think.. either that or you don't have the latest DirectX properly installed.

16. Post #576
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,450 Posts
    y0haN posted:
    Invalid Call is an error on his part I think.. either that or you don't have the latest DirectX properly installed.
    You don't have the latest DirectX. Also, try the fall backs.

17. Post #577
    January 2008
    334 Posts
    nullsquared posted:
    You don't have the latest DirectX. Also, try the fall backs.
    I tried fallbacks on both computers, still nope. My better computer has (I'm positive) the newest DX9, so I don't know what the problem is.

Here is full error log in case it helps:
    main.log posted:
    22:15:48: Creating resource group General
    22:15:48: Creating resource group Internal
    22:15:48: Creating resource group Autodetect
    22:15:48: SceneManagerFactory for type 'DefaultSceneManager' registered.
    22:15:48: Registering ResourceManager for type Material
    22:15:48: Registering ResourceManager for type Mesh
    22:15:48: Registering ResourceManager for type Skeleton
    22:15:48: MovableObjectFactory for type 'ParticleSystem' registered.
    22:15:48: OverlayElementFactory for type Panel registered.
    22:15:48: OverlayElementFactory for type BorderPanel registered.
    22:15:48: OverlayElementFactory for type TextArea registered.
    22:15:48: Registering ResourceManager for type Font
    22:15:48: ArchiveFactory for archive type FileSystem registered.
    22:15:48: ArchiveFactory for archive type Zip registered.
    22:15:48: FreeImage version: 3.9.3
    22:15:48: This program uses FreeImage, a free, open source image library supporting all common bitmap formats. See http://freeimage.sourceforge.net for details
    22:15:48: Supported formats: bmp,ico,jpg,jif,jpeg,jpe,jng,koa,iff,lbm,mng,pbm,p bm,pcd,pcx,pgm,pgm,png,ppm,ppm,ras,tga,targa,tif,t iff,wap,wbmp,wbm,psd,cut,xbm,xpm,gif,hdr,g3,sgi
    22:15:48: DDS codec registering
    22:15:48: Registering ResourceManager for type HighLevelGpuProgram
    22:15:48: Registering ResourceManager for type Compositor
    22:15:48: MovableObjectFactory for type 'Entity' registered.
    22:15:48: MovableObjectFactory for type 'Light' registered.
    22:15:48: MovableObjectFactory for type 'BillboardSet' registered.
    22:15:48: MovableObjectFactory for type 'ManualObject' registered.
    22:15:48: MovableObjectFactory for type 'BillboardChain' registered.
    22:15:48: MovableObjectFactory for type 'RibbonTrail' registered.
    22:15:48: *-*-* OGRE Initialising
    22:15:48: *-*-* Version 1.4.6 (Eihort)
    22:15:48: Loading library RenderSystem_Direct3D9
    22:15:48: Installing plugin: D3D9 RenderSystem
    22:15:48: D3D9 : Direct3D9 Rendering Subsystem created.
    22:15:48: D3D9: Driver Detection Starts
    22:15:48: D3D9: Driver Detection Ends
    22:15:48: Plugin successfully installed
    22:15:48: Loading library Plugin_CgProgramManager
    22:15:48: Installing plugin: Cg Program Manager
    22:15:48: Loading library Plugin_ParticleFX
    22:15:48: Installing plugin: ParticleFX
    22:15:48: Particle Emitter Type 'Point' registered
    22:15:48: Particle Emitter Type 'Box' registered
    22:15:48: Particle Emitter Type 'Ellipsoid' registered
    22:15:48: Particle Emitter Type 'Cylinder' registered
    22:15:48: Particle Emitter Type 'Ring' registered
    22:15:48: Particle Emitter Type 'HollowEllipsoid' registered
    22:15:48: Particle Affector Type 'LinearForce' registered
    22:15:48: Particle Affector Type 'ColourFader' registered
    22:15:48: Particle Affector Type 'ColourFader2' registered
    22:15:48: Particle Affector Type 'ColourImage' registered
    22:15:48: Particle Affector Type 'ColourInterpolator' registered
    22:15:48: Particle Affector Type 'Scaler' registered
    22:15:48: Particle Affector Type 'Rotator' registered
    22:15:48: Particle Affector Type 'DirectionRandomiser' registered
    22:15:48: Particle Affector Type 'DeflectorPlane' registered
    22:15:48: CPU Identifier & Features
    22:15:48: -------------------------
    22:15:48: * CPU ID: GenuineIntel: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    22:15:48: * SSE: yes
    22:15:48: * SSE2: yes
    22:15:48: * SSE3: yes
    22:15:48: * MMX: yes
    22:15:48: * MMXEXT: yes
    22:15:48: * 3DNOW: no
    22:15:48: * 3DNOWEXT: no
    22:15:48: * CMOV: yes
    22:15:48: * TSC: yes
    22:15:48: * FPU: yes
    22:15:48: * PRO: yes
    22:15:48: * HT: yes
    22:15:48: -------------------------
    22:15:48: D3D9 : Subsystem Initialising
    22:15:48: ***************************************
    22:15:48: *** D3D9 : Subsystem Initialised OK ***
    22:15:48: ***************************************
    22:15:48: D3D9RenderSystem::createRenderWindow "Portalized", 1024x768 windowed miscParams: FSAA=2 vsync=false
    22:15:48: D3D9 : Created D3D9 Rendering Window 'Portalized' : 792x573, 32bpp
    22:15:48: D3D9 : WARNING - disabling VSync in windowed mode can cause timing issues at lower frame rates, turn VSync on if you observe this problem.
    22:15:48: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to create Direct3D9 Device: Invalid call in D3D9RenderWindow::createD3DResources at D:\Ogre_CVS\ogrenew\RenderSystems\Direct3D9\src\Og reD3D9RenderWindow.cpp (line 573)

18. Post #578
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    603 Posts
    Awesome! Works prefect on my machine now when we have mastered the console problem.

Verry nice shaders.

Anyway, you should polish how shadows and light is drawn when you look through portals.
    I put a portal in another room than the one you start in, and looked through the portal in the other room. The starting room had no light except some light that appeared have traveled through the portal?!
    Can light travel through portals?

19. Post #579
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,450 Posts
    Sippeangelo posted:
    Awesome! Works prefect on my machine now when we have mastered the console problem.

Verry nice shaders.

Anyway, you should polish how shadows and light is drawn when you look through portals.
    I put a portal in another room than the one you start in, and looked through the portal in the other room. The starting room had no light except some light that appeared have traveled through the portal?!
    Can light travel through portals?
    Light will travel through portals for the beta. It really shouldn't tax high end machines, either, as long as you support multiple render targets. In the case that you don't, you'll be limited to a very forward rendering technique, and no light through portals. But, no, it doesn't work through portals for this "dev build".

20. Post #580
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    953 Posts
    nullsquared posted:
    Light will travel through portals for the beta. It really shouldn't tax high end machines, either, as long as you support multiple render targets. In the case that you don't, you'll be limited to a very forward rendering technique, and no light through portals. But, no, it doesn't work through portals for this "dev build".
    1x Winner (list)

Can't wait for the public beta

21. Post #581
    May 2007
    84 Posts
    The readme doesn't help at all, it says i should write this in console:
    dofile(dd.."test_lua.lua")
    And when i press enter, some errors comes up.

22. Post #582
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,450 Posts
    robink93 posted:
    The readme doesn't help at all, it says i should write this in console:
    dofile(dd.."test_lua.lua")
    And when i press enter, some errors comes up.
    Your post doesn't help at all, either. What errors come up?

23. Post #583
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    953 Posts
    by thee way nullsquared, when can we expect a status report on beta progress?

24. Post #584
    May 2007
    84 Posts
    nullsquared posted:
    Your post doesn't help at all, either. What errors come up?
    Well, it works now, but i can't move, or look around.

25. Post #585
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    603 Posts
    robink93 posted:
    Well, it works now, but i can't move, or look around.
    I had the same problem. You probably closed the console with the X button on it.
    Åress the § key instead. If it does not work, write enableconsole(false) in the console! :D

26. Post #586
    May 2007
    2,004 Posts
    So what are the fallbacks?
    Will they give it a better framerate?
    Cause I thought I read something along those lines...

27. Post #587
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    953 Posts
    1STrandomman posted:
    So what are the fallbacks?
    Will they give it a better framerate?
    Cause I thought I read something along those lines...
    The fallbacks deactivates the complex shaders to make it run better on lo-spec machines, or older graphiccards.

28. Post #588

February 2008
    10 Posts
    nullsquared, good to see you're still working on things, cant wait for the beta :)

Zye, I had this problem when using either DirectX or OpenGL, but I cant remember which, try to switch them, and see if that helps, and also try the fallbacks if you haven't already.

I figured the random reboot was due to my card being a bit too old, but I also thought that no application should ever be able to crash the graphics card that badly, as it should simply ignore anything it doesn't like/understand. I've also only ever seen it happen in OGRE, on both Windows and Linux, even with the OGRE demos that come with the source. So thats kinda strange, may be a bug on OGRE's part.

Heh. A virus that could crash the graphics driver in that same way could be fun :P

29. Post #589
    July 2007
    357 Posts
    So null,w hat stage are you at and is it anywhere near the beta release?

30. Post #590
    July 2007
    77 Posts
    very trippy but what would happen if you put the portal in the portal ?

31. Post #591
    December 2006
    77 Posts
    No, it won't divide by zero.

See the beginning of this thread and the previous one.

32. Post #592
    JYC

March 2008
    1 Posts
    Hi, nullsquared, let me start off by saying that I'm selfish guy. I'm here because I want to play your game on my Linux box.

But it's your game. No one can take that away from you. You're know immortalized (in at least the people who seen your vids) as the one person who beat Valve.

Whatever fears you have about open source, many people, including me, can tell you that it isn't true if you select a good license, like the GPL (not LGPL, because that would allow game companies to make money using your code without release their game's source).

Disclosing your source when you release your beta would defeat a major purpose of open source: porting to Linux and OSX (and fixing dem Vista bugs). If we all can work together (well, I'm not too good at C++ or Lua, but there are probably really good Linux programmers who would love to play your game too), we can all enjoy your work.

Please =D?

Anyway, if you don't open source (D=), I would at least suggest you put your work under, like, Creative Commons or something. Portal 2 is just around the corner...

33. Post #593
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    548 Posts
    This doesn't work for me, it won't load the map or whatever.

34. Post #594
    December 2006
    77 Posts
    JYC posted:
    Hi, nullsquared, let me start off by saying that I'm selfish guy. I'm here because I want to play your game on my Linux box.

But it's your game. No one can take that away from you. You're know immortalized (in at least the people who seen your vids) as the one person who beat Valve.

Whatever fears you have about open source, many people, including me, can tell you that it isn't true if you select a good license, like the GPL (not LGPL, because that would allow game companies to make money using your code without release their game's source).

Disclosing your source when you release your beta would defeat a major purpose of open source: porting to Linux and OSX (and fixing dem Vista bugs). If we all can work together (well, I'm not too good at C++ or Lua, but there are probably really good Linux programmers who would love to play your game too), we can all enjoy your work.

Please =D?

Anyway, if you don't open source (D=), I would at least suggest you put your work under, like, Creative Commons or something. Portal 2 is just around the corner...
    Why open it's source when there's no need for that? I think Null can compile for linux, or someone can do it for him... We don't need open source. I mean, it would be awesome if it was, but I remember there was something about that in the previous thread.

35. Post #595
    April 2007
    1,145 Posts
    JYC posted:
    You're now immortalised (in at least the people who seen your vids) as the one person who beat Valve.
    He hasn't 'beaten' Valve. Valve didn't make a tech demo, they made a game. They could have made scaleable portals, but what would be the point? Valve didn't start from scratch, neither did Null.

He said he wasn't going to make it open source.

Also, fixed.

36. Post #596
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,002 Posts
    After I finally got it working, when I start the game, enter the console command, etc.. it..well...goes black, shows the game screen for a split second, them my computer...reboots.

What do i do?

37. Post #597
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,450 Posts
    NovembrDobby posted:
    He hasn't 'beaten' Valve. Valve didn't make a tech demo, they made a game. They could have made scaleable portals, but what would be the point? Valve didn't start from scratch, neither did Null.
    I did not "beat" Valve. We can discuss this once I release the beta. Also, NovembrDobby, Valve had Source² (a full-blown game engine with a mature renderer, AI system, physics system, logic system, and so on). I had a basic renderer and a basic physics system.

@ problems: What do you do at this point, you ask? You do this: wait. Wait 'till the beta. Seriously, I can not stress this enough. I've fixed SO MANY bugs and issues, and the beta is actual "play", not "load a test level thing to play around with physics".

I don't know if I'll make it open source. Maybe. That's all I'll say: maybe.

38. Post #598
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    548 Posts
    When I launch it, I can't move. :(

39. Post #599
    April 2007
    1,145 Posts
    nullsquared posted:
    NovembrDobby posted:
    He hasn't 'beaten' Valve.
    I did not "beat" Valve.
    Right...

nullsquared posted:
    I had a basic renderer and a basic physics system.
    So as I said, you didn't start from scratch.

What've you been up to with it lately?

40. Post #600
    May 2007
    2,004 Posts
    ace13 posted:
    The fallbacks deactivates the complex shaders to make it run better on lo-spec machines, or older graphiccards.
    so how do I use these,
    fallbacks?