1. Post #1
    April 2008
    36 Posts
    First off, Allthough this is a mod, the game it mods, for which there is no thread, is included with the download, so it is in the right section. Also, I'm new here.

The Orange Block is a complete version of the builder's mod (TBM) for blockland (the original free beta), along with the death to block deathmatch mod. Both have been enhanced semi-extensively. The original free blockland beta, like it's successor, was a multiplayer sandbox game where you build with legos. The better mod adds over 300 bricks (I've actually counted) and tools for manipulating them and saving groups of them client-side. The Better Mod also allows players to create switches, which, similar to the current Blockland's switches, can move, fade, cloak, and mount weapons and particles to, bricks and people (Coincidentally, these were some of the first features of TBM, long before the retail release of Blockland). Death to Block, a mod for TBM, adds weapons and several minigames, including team deathmatch and capture the flag. All the weapons in this enhanced version (a total of 54 not including the ones mounted to vehicles) can be mounted to bricks along with TBM's particles and accessory objects. I'll add a video to show how some of these work later. In addition to these two main mods, there are several smaller community mods included in this package. There's the Cemetech AI 3, which adds bot support to deathmatches (including teams).There's the "Dirt Brick" mod, which, in addition to unlocking a few K'Nex pieces, adds a brick that you can "mine" with the pickaxe, which then respawns 60 seconds later. And there are all of Calc84maniac's mods, which in addition to making iGobs (groups of bricks selected with the iGob tool) scalable, enhance the switches and add "turret" switches, which shoot whatever weapon you've mounted at anyone within the preset range.

EDIT- heres some "media":

New link!

2. Post #2
    May 2005
    53 Posts

Haha, Oh lawd.

Grand Theft Lego.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    January 2008
    20 Posts
    Since you're new here, I suggest adding media to your post, before your get flamed.

4. Post #4
    June 2007
    62 Posts
    RJ101 posted:
    Haha, Oh lawd.

Grand Theft Lego.
    Are those NPCs or real people?

5. Post #5
    March 2006
    24 Posts
    aids

6. Post #6
    December 2007
    5 Posts
    RJ101 posted:

Haha, Oh lawd.

Grand Theft Lego.
    Looks like a certain hotel incident involving AIDS and pools.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    April 2008
    36 Posts
    TBM never had a virus. It DID however at one point have code that would act much like a virus if copied into another mod. To my knowledge this was never used and later removed, but I don't blame you for being cautious. After all, you did help make it. If anyone does find a virus or malicious code, other than the joke program "funtown.bat", please report it and it's location within the mod.

8. Post #8
    July 2007
    167 Posts
    Could you make a new link i don't get a winrar save thing etc. :(

9. Post #9
    June 2007
    177 Posts
    "Service Temporarily Unavailable
    The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later."
    Does any one have another link to the main download?
    EDIT: I got it downloading. Just had to reboot. :|

10. Post #10
    April 2008
    36 Posts
    I'm working on a mirror.

11. Post #11
    March 2006
    24 Posts
    DShiznit posted:
    TBM never had a virus. It DID however at one point have code that would act much like a virus if copied into another mod. To my knowledge this was never used and later removed, but I don't blame you for being cautious. After all, you did help make it. If anyone does find a virus or malicious code, other than the joke program "funtown.bat", please report it and it's location within the mod.
    back from when the exploit was first discovered:
    The details of the TBM exploit have been uncovered by Harold "LabRat" Brown of the Torque community.
    For complete information, see this thread. ( The server that once contained the thread Crashed, losing the file )

Basically, TBM detects AiO installations and compromises them so that anyone can connect to the compromised server and then proceed to upload and execute any script they want. There are a number of things a malevolent person could do to a compromised server including overwriting all of the script files, effectively removing the entire game.

If you have installed TBM at any point in the past, I am forced to recommend that you delete your Blockland directory and re-install the game.

from the official Blockland website, a year or two ago:
    do NOT use TBM

Rumors have surfaced recently that the makers of TBM have developed scripts that will damage a users Blockland directory if they attempt to use TBM code or models in a way that they don't approve of. I questioned Rob and MCP (aka Kier) of the TBM crew about this on IRC and they admitted to developing such a script. I questioned them separately about other hacking incidents involving TBM, which they both admitted to, but they tried to pin the blame on each other. These people cannot be trusted and their mod, TBM, should be considered a security risk.

MCP has shown a tendency towards spite, vengeance and hacker ethics. I recommend you delete TBM and its auto-updater immediately.
    And don't forget all the spamming and other malicious scripting that the TBM crew later did to users of other mods, with all the game crashing and server spamming.

Sorry, but using TBM as a base for any mod or game is a terrible idea and a huge security risk for anyone using it.

12. Post #12
    July 2007
    167 Posts
    DShiznit posted:
    I'm working on a mirror.
    Where is it? :ninja:

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    4,520 Posts
    Guess what. Retail > TBG or whatever the fuck you fags call it now.

edit:

OH HAY PHATSTREAT! :D

14. Post #14
    April 2008
    36 Posts
    PhatStreet posted:
    back from when the exploit was first discovered:

from the official Blockland website, a year or two ago:

And don't forget all the spamming and other malicious scripting that the TBM crew later did to users of other mods, with all the game crashing and server spamming.

Sorry, but using TBM as a base for any mod or game is a terrible idea and a huge security risk for anyone using it.

I already explained what the exploit was, and that it was removed. I haven't been able to find one, but if you can find any security risks in this installation, by all means, report them. Just tell me the script and I'll have it cleaned, or even removed entirely if possible.

Edit:

nige111 posted:
    Guess what. Retail > TBG or whatever the fuck you fags call it now.

edit:

OH HAY PHATSTREAT! :D
    Yes, TBG was a complete failure.

Edit:

Kakis posted:
    Where is it? :ninja:
    I just added it to the main forum post on mix-networks (check the link in my first post)

Edit:

TheCombine2 posted:
    Are those NPCs or real people?
    NPCs (clonebots), with weapons mounted to them.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    4,439 Posts
    TBM is the better mod for the (FREE) Blockland. It's not very user-friendly though. (brick-wall learning curve.)

Boo hoo, it had a 'virus' that could crash servers using copied TBM files (because everybody was copy+pasting files from TBM into their own mod), but it was never used.

I stopped playing it because I ran out of ideas, and Dshiznit was the only person playing.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    4,520 Posts
    It wasn't a virus. IT WAS AN EXPLOIT, THAT WAS NEVER USED.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    351 Posts
    Looks interesting, but I just wanted to say... "The Orange Blocks".

If I had Blockland though, I would consider this.

18. Post #18
    March 2006
    24 Posts
    DShiznit posted:
    I already explained what the exploit was, and that it was removed. I haven't been able to find one, but if you can find any security risks in this installation, by all means, report them. Just tell me the script and I'll have it cleaned, or even removed entirely if possible.
    You don't know that. You don't even have access to all of the source code of the mod that you're basing this on.

Have you even looked at the scripts in your mod? There are multiple compiled scripts to which the source is not available. You have absolutely no way of telling if the exploits and malicious scripts were really removed.

And given that you don't have access to those scripts, it's not possible AT ALL for you to have the exploits removed either.

19. Post #19
    April 2008
    36 Posts
    PsYchOsIs posted:
    Looks interesting, but I just wanted to say... "The Orange Blocks".

If I had Blockland though, I would consider this.
    The free blockland beta is included with this

Edit:

PhatStreet posted:
    You don't know that. You don't even have access to all of the source code of the mod that you're basing this on.

Have you even looked at the scripts in your mod? There are multiple compiled scripts to which the source is not available. You have absolutely no way of telling if the exploits and malicious scripts were really removed.

And given that you don't have access to those scripts, it's not possible AT ALL for you to have the exploits removed either.
    You make it sound like there's a whole lot of dso only scripts. There's a total of 5, not counting the one that isn't exec'd I'll ask for the sources next time a dev starts up TBM for nostalgia's sake. You are right though, that I don't know exactly what each script does. But according to the original devs, they removed the exploit, and from the very little I can read of the dso's in wordpad there doesn't appear to be anything harmful. If there is malicious code in any of the 5 dso-only scripts, It can't do anything beyond the game's folder.

20. Post #20
    December 2007
    10 Posts
    ... It was called 'The Better Mod'. Not 'The Builders Mod'.

21. Post #21
    April 2008
    36 Posts
    It was originally called "The Builder's Mod" and was changed to "The Better Mod" when other mods started ripping it off. I call it the Builder's Mod because I think it's arrogant to say anything is better than anything.
    Also I've been working on an update:

22. Post #22
    April 2008
    36 Posts
    I just released an updated version that adds some vehicles, changes existing vehicles, changes a few weapons, and adds dozens of face and chest decals
    Also the website has changed:\
    http://www.thebettermod.org

23. Post #23

May 2008
    9 Posts
    its shit cause it ain't free.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    1,085 Posts
    |Budgieboy! posted:
    Hehe, 08'ers.

25. Post #25
    April 2008
    36 Posts
    |Budgieboy! posted:
    It is free. You're thinking of the retail version. This is a mod of the original free beta, which also includes said beta, so you only have to download the one thing from the files section of http://www.thebettermod.org

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    3,113 Posts
    I'll stick with my retail blockland thanks.

27. Post #27
    July 2007
    5 Posts
    I can't click the Orange Block link.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    215 Posts
    Doesn't this game not have physics?

(User was permabanned for this post (Reason: Stop fucking about on my account.) [event] 101767 [/event])

29. Post #29
    July 2007
    5 Posts
    We need a server. I see none on the list, except for a "Wolf's place", but it's down now.

30. Post #30
    April 2008
    36 Posts
    There are a couple servers on right now. The more people play, the more servers there will be. As for physics, there are 12 vehicles, each with unique physics, and you can use clones of yourself to do various things (elfprince made a fully automated car factory using clones and switches), and there are 54 unique weapons that do various things in various ways, but besides that there are no physics. Also I just made a torrent of it that can be downloaded from the pirate bay if you're into that kind of thing.
    http://piratebay.org/tor/4222103/The..._Block_1.4.zip

EDIT-
    More pics:

Also, to correctly spawn the vehicles I added, you'll need to use these console commands:
    commandtoserver('pelican');
    commandtoserver('legobike');
    commandtoserver('legohorse');
    commandtoserver('legoplane');
    commandtoserver('pimpmobile');

Help files are viewable with f1

31. Post #31
    April 2008
    36 Posts
    New poster:

also I might be working on another update...

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    4,874 Posts
    Damnit! This actually looks pretty impressive, too bad I just bought blockland :mad:.

On a related note, does anyone know what happened to the facepunch blockland server.

33. Post #33

June 2008
    1 Posts
    hey can you make the game into a zip file with out making me have to torrent me if you do could you email the link to me at brettdavenport@msn.com thanks

34. Post #34
    Dennab
    March 2008
    287 Posts
    seth5235 posted:
    hey can you make the game into a zip file with out making me have to torrent me if you do could you email the link to me at brettdavenport@msn.com thanks
    Buy it.

35. Post #35
    March 2006
    24 Posts
    aids

36. Post #36
    April 2008
    36 Posts
    actually, most systems can render up to 1000 bricks without lag.

Anyway, I've just released a new version, the orange block 1.5, which can be downloaded from the tbm files section of thebettermod.org:

http://www.thebettermod.org/files/ca...bm-client.html

It is a .zip file

You must be registered on that website and be logged in to download.

37. Post #37
    April 2008
    36 Posts
    I released an update about a week and a half ago, it adds toggle-able blood/gore (there are a few glitches with this system), emotes, a tutorial, and a bunch of map-related saves I forgot to include in the last release. I also did an @$$load of balancing to the weapons, (some spray, some take more time to reload, etc.) and I added two new hats, Burger King, and Batman.
    Screenshots:

38. Post #38
    April 2008
    36 Posts

OBAMA '08!

39. Post #39

June 2008
    47 Posts
    Downloaded it and played for a while, too bad there are only 2 servers.

Host the FP server, save the humanity.

40. Post #40
    April 2008
    36 Posts
    That's part of why I'm trying to get people to play. Elrune just released an assload of star wars igobs on the forums: http://thebettermod.org/forum.html?f...d=1465&catid=3

Edit:

hmm, I should post a screenshot of the better fires:

note that the storm trooper helmet crap has since been removed from first person view.