74 Posts
    Oh yeah, I will soon try that out!

2. Post #122
    March 2009
    22 Posts
    Sorry for bad English
    I'm new on Hl2 modding

I have a question:

Is possible to add Motion Capture animation (bip file) and convert in to smd for use in Npc?

And

Is possible to convert smd animation in bip files or bvh 3dsmax compatible

I would like make some dance animation with Alyx or other Npc

3. Post #123

April 2009
    4 Posts
    Hey, firstly I just want to say great tutorial! It's allready helped me alot, however I have 1 problem however noobish it may sound.

I'm using 3DS MAX 09 and using wunderboys export plugin, I've got the model to appear in the Model Viewer with the bones being selectable etc but I cannot edit their constraints. For example I select my models forearm and select each of the axis and try move the slider but it remain motionless, am I exporting my model wrong?

Since the tutorial uses Cannon's exporter its hard to follow, for example "Export a SMD again, only call it "ragdoll.smd" and save it as a Skeletal Animation this time.". The only relevant option available to me is "Export Sequence SMD" and requests a range, do I simply use this and set the range "0 to 1" or am I missing something.

Any help would be appreciated as I need to at least try get this working so I can prototype other models for similar use.

Thanks,
    Vern

4. Post #124
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,086 Posts
    Sorry for bad English
    I'm new on Hl2 modding

I have a question:

Is possible to add Motion Capture animation (bip file) and convert in to smd for use in Npc?

And

Is possible to convert smd animation in bip files or bvh 3dsmax compatible

I would like make some dance animation with Alyx or other Npc

Yes, it's possible, you have to animate using the model skeleton. If you're going to use Alyx, you'll have to decompile Alyx model file to get the smd files, work on them, make the animations and then recompile.

5. Post #125
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,086 Posts
    Hey, firstly I just want to say great tutorial! It's allready helped me alot, however I have 1 problem however noobish it may sound.

I'm using 3DS MAX 09 and using wunderboys export plugin, I've got the model to appear in the Model Viewer with the bones being selectable etc but I cannot edit their constraints. For example I select my models forearm and select each of the axis and try move the slider but it remain motionless, am I exporting my model wrong?

Since the tutorial uses Cannon's exporter its hard to follow, for example "Export a SMD again, only call it "ragdoll.smd" and save it as a Skeletal Animation this time.". The only relevant option available to me is "Export Sequence SMD" and requests a range, do I simply use this and set the range "0 to 1" or am I missing something.

Any help would be appreciated as I need to at least try get this working so I can prototype other models for similar use.

Thanks,
    Vern
    Have you assinged bones with each vertex of the model ? Or weight bones ? Because maybe you've done everything ok, and you can move the arms, forearms, etc but there's no vertexes assinged to that bone and it appears to move nothing...

6. Post #126
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    651 Posts
    maybe he forgot to use the test slider..

anyway I'm going to redo the video I think, its way too long.. and I want to fit it under 20mins.

also I don't know anything about animation compiling for NPC's. but I'm pretty sure the skeleton used in hl2 is a biped, therefore the rotation axis of the bones of the 3dmax biped should match the axis position from the HL2 skeleton. meaning, yeah you could use a biped in max, apply bip mocap data to it, and export to smd for your ragdoll. you'd just have to keep in mind to have your bipeds bones to match the pivots and general length of the original hl2 skeleton.

there are probably better ways to do this, but this is what I would attempt

7. Post #127
    March 2009
    22 Posts
    maybe he forgot to use the test slider..

anyway I'm going to redo the video I think, its way too long.. and I want to fit it under 20mins.

also I don't know anything about animation compiling for NPC's. but I'm pretty sure the skeleton used in hl2 is a biped, therefore the rotation axis of the bones of the 3dmax biped should match the axis position from the HL2 skeleton. meaning, yeah you could use a biped in max, apply bip mocap data to it, and export to smd for your ragdoll. you'd just have to keep in mind to have your bipeds bones to match the pivots and general length of the original hl2 skeleton.

there are probably better ways to do this, but this is what I would attempt
    Thanks for this info , I made some Dance mod for Fallout 3 and Oblivion and now I want try for Half life 2

8. Post #128
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    651 Posts
    sorry, I'm going to have to cancel the video for the time being.

my windows got a nasty virus. it's completely taken over my computer, programs can't start, updates are disabled, sites are redirected or blocked. and I'm getting access denied errors everywhere, and I'm the soul admin of winxp.

anyway it's at a point where I feel it would be way easier to buy a new harddrive and re-install WinXP.
    as it seems all my hardrives, including Vista which I had setup as duel boot are infected ~_~

So I might be offline for a week.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #129
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    651 Posts
    ? board posted reply twice
    (REMOVE POST)

10. Post #130

April 2009
    4 Posts
    Yea I've attached the appropriate vertexes to each bone and weighted them accordingly, I'll re-do some of the steps to make sure I hav'nt missed anything and post again later hopefully, thanks.

11. Post #131
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    5,043 Posts
    I'm guessing this would be basically the same in XSI, Am I right?

12. Post #132

April 2009
    4 Posts
    Ok sorry this sounds really dumb! however I found out why I could'nt move my bones in the HLMV... it was because I did'nt notice the test slider >.> I thought moving the constaint slider moved the bones in the preview.

So if you would like, it might be beneficial to other users showing the test slider highlighted :D in one of your images. Still thanks alot and I can't stress enough how helpfull this tutorial was, Kudos to you and thanks replying to my posts.

Hopefully the next lot of steps will work, thanks again!

P.S. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNC056XvMh0

- Vern

13. Post #133
    November 2008
    477 Posts
    I keep getting a bunch of errors when trying to compile:
    Code:
    WARNING: Model has 2-dimensional geometry (less than 0.500 inches thick on any axis)!!!
    (...)
    WARNING: Model has 2-dimensional geometry (less than 0.500 inches thick on any axis)!!!
    WARNING: COSTLY COLLISION MODEL!!!! (365 parts - 20 allowed)
    WARNING: Error with convex elements of C:\Documents and Settings\Utilizador\Ambiente de trabalho\Modeling\Bioshock\wat/prop.smd, building single convex!!!!
    Model has 3 convex sub-parts
    Collision model completed.
    ---------------------
    writing c:\programas\steam\steamapps\duarte018\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\models/Bioshosckwrenchlolmdl.mdl:
    Error opening c:\programas\steam\steamapps\duarte018\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\models/Bioshosckwrenchlolmdl.mdl! (Check for write enable)
    halp
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Portugal Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #134

April 2009
    4 Posts
    Code:
    Error opening c:\programas\steam\steamapps\duarte018\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\models/Bioshosckwrenchlolmdl.mdl! (Check for write enable)
    I've had that problem a few times, all that it means is that you've not set up your directory or have misstyped something. Check your .qc file for the following lines:

Code:
    $modelname "Humans\Group01\male_02.mdl"
    $model "male_02" "male_02_reference.smd"
    I'm pretty sure that "$modelname "Humans\Group01\male_02.mdl"" is the line you wanna focus on, and obviously change the model name and directory to suit your game/mod.

For the other warnings you get I can't offer any advice, sorry.

15. Post #135
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    651 Posts
    @-The_D-
    please post your project folder, qc and all your smd's. I've never seen that error before

@Vicousvern
    I've encountered this error a real long time ago.. and I don't think it has anything to do with the qc.
    ?is this your first time compiling, and have you ever been successful compiling anything yet? I believe your SDK may not be setup properly

16. Post #136
    November 2008
    477 Posts
    EDIT3: Nevermind. I got it. I was missing the "models" folder in the ep2 folder. Thanks for trying to help though.

Yes, it is my first time compiling, and I haven't tried to compile anything else yet.

http://imgkk.com/images/jeruaic7.png - QC + smd folder.
    http://imgkk.com/images/yzgrsa20.png - the smd
    http://imgkk.com/images/b8zwo34m.jpg - size comparison

I'll try to compile a simple cube now.

EDIT: I didn't get any errors when changing the SDK's launch options. Does that have anything to do with it?

EDIT2: I'm also getting a WARNING: AppFramework : Unable to load module p4lib.dll! error in the beginning.

Code:
    GUIStudioMDL 2.2/Source -  2007 Neil 'Jed' Jedrzejewski - http://www.wunderboy.org/

Loaded QC file - "C:\Documents and Settings\Utilizador\Ambiente de trabalho\Modeling\Bioshock\aCube\prop.qc"

Created command line: C:\Programas\Steam\steamapps\duarte018\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\studiomdl.exe -game "c:\programas\steam\steamapps\duarte018\half-life 2 episode two\ep2" -notxbox "C:\Documents and Settings\Utilizador\Ambiente de trabalho\Modeling\Bioshock\aCube\prop.qc"

WARNING: AppFramework : Unable to load module p4lib.dll!
    qdir:    "c:\documents and settings\utilizador\ambiente de trabalho\modeling\bioshock\acube\"
    gamedir: "c:\programas\steam\steamapps\duarte018\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\"
    g_path:  "C:\Documents and Settings\Utilizador\Ambiente de trabalho\Modeling\Bioshock\aCube\prop.qc"
    Building binary model files...
    Working on "prop.qc"
    SMD MODEL C:\Documents and Settings\Utilizador\Ambiente de trabalho\Modeling\Bioshock\aCube/prop.smd
    SMD MODEL C:\Documents and Settings\Utilizador\Ambiente de trabalho\Modeling\Bioshock\aCube/ragdoll.smd

17. Post #137
    October 2007
    17 Posts
    What happened with the testing of that poly cruncher did it work?

18. Post #138
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    651 Posts
    lets find out :)

unfortunately the mdoel is naked, so no screens for now.

19. Post #139
    October 2007
    17 Posts
    Couldn't you blur it...

In fact I don't really wanna see it anyway. lol.

I still wanna know if it works though.

20. Post #140
    diaoyudao shi ZHONGGUO de
    December 2007
    4,094 Posts
    I've been having a texture issue. I used 3dripperdx to rip a necromorph from Dead Space to 3dsmax8. For some reason on every rip, the model has yellow/purple distorted textures applied to it. I apparently am missing a texture named 0000000. Any ideas?

21. Post #141
    December 2007
    4,094 Posts
    -double post snip-

22. Post #142
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    651 Posts
    games are using adavanced masking techniques to speed up and improve the materials of there game. it can also be a way of optimization that many companies are now taking notice of.

so for one, theres a good possiblity that the maps are being miss assigned. so you'll have to reassign the maps. the important part is that the model has mat place holders, so your able to easilly reassign.

also 00000000 happens to everything I've ripped. if you go into your material editor theres a utlity called clean multi materials. this will delete any unused materials in your scene. 0000000 isn't used for anything, so it's alright if it's missing.

my advice to you is, to double check your model's UV map. by adding the modifier called UVWwarp and going to edit UVs. you'll see the wires of the UV map.. if they look logical (not borken shunken ..etc) then your UVs are good an indeed you have mis-assigned materials.

then the issue is, just you reassigning the mats.

you may also want to consider changing the graphics settings to high or low, to see if 3dripperdx can grab a better rip that way.

PS, last year i think I tried to rip from dead space.. from what I can recall it was not a happy experience. games are using stronger protection to block external programs from hooking into the games memory. and alot of the time cause undesired effects when ripping with a hook program link 3dripperdx. though i can remember that 3dripperdx did work for me. the yellow maps may be ARGB normal maps or texture masks

23. Post #143
    December 2007
    4,094 Posts
    you may also want to consider changing the graphics settings to high or low, to see if 3dripperdx can grab a better rip that way.

though i can remember that 3dripperdx did work for me
    Tried to find UVWwarp, couldn't. I'll try messing with my settings. Thanks!

24. Post #144
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    3DS Max or 3D DX Ripper is swapping all of the textures around around causing my renders to display normal maps as textures, etc. :(
    Is this a common error or is this just a specific error limited to a game - UT3 - do I have to fix this manually?

25. Post #145
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    651 Posts
    uts becoming more common as games start to use more bizarre mapping methods.

just re-assign the textures until one fits.
    and I'm not gonna lie, I've spent anywhere from 3 to 5 hours re-assigning textures for just one model.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #146
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    oh shit (oh shit/oh shit/oh shit)

cue London Bridge

27. Post #147
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    651 Posts
    I'm uploading my video tutorial for ragdolling.

it ended up being about 12 parts I think. 10min each.

it took 2 days to do them all, so even though there crappy I'm still gonna post them here. they'll hopefully be an alternative to those too lazy to read the actual tut I wrote here

28. Post #148
    October 2007
    17 Posts
    Are those uploads done yet, i've read the tut, but its not working for me i'll watch these and see if it works then.

29. Post #149
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    I'm a sad widdle wubber duck :(

Honestly, though what is the "weld threshold", anyway?

30. Post #150
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    651 Posts
    another word for threshold would be range.

0.001 would be 100th of a single unit in 3dsmax. the larger the threshold or larger the range. the more 3dsmax will weld your model. if the threshold was say 100, your entire model would disappear. because all the vertices are within 100 units. and since what welding does, is combine one vertex into another. if you use a large threshold everything would get combined.

so we use a small threshold, or range, or factor.. so that only small breaks are welded. and your model doesn't get damaged.

the prompt you got from 3dsmax there is just simply saying, there were no breaks found in your model using the given welding range. this prompt is good and is what we want when using 0.001

31. Post #151
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    Oh. I see. Thanks!

(you know, might want to update the OP with that.)

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    651 Posts
    I'll use youtube's annotation feature to sub that in.

otherwise here are the series of tutorials
    Part 1 : - Getting Alyx from HL2 (includes me getting banned bonus)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZXJnNl1Fr0&fmt=22

Part 2 : - Smoothing your Model & Creating a Skeleton
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxy6RYzrKpA&fmt=22

Part 3 : - Rigging your model
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKKGu_pt9iY&fmt=22

Part 3B: - Rigging your model Extended
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5zqu2tqUs8&fmt=22

Part 4 : - Creating your Collision Model & Exporting Your SMDs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf4S-wFNN4Q&fmt=22

Part 4B: - Optional Exporting in 3dmax 2009 (Only for People Using 3DSMAX 9, 2008, or 2009)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14nyUpeSYlU&fmt=22

Part 4C: - Amending Mistake in Part 4 (Exporting Proper Ragdoll.SMD)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d48q95vcDYE&fmt=22

Part 5 : - QC Setup & Compiling
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIRk3Z5UhEo&fmt=22

Part 5B: - QC Scripting for Face Flexes (Only Applies to 3dmax 6, 7, or 8 users)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIlCOqlGKy8&fmt=22

Part 6 : - Setting matterials
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyodBSpiD8Q&fmt=22

Part 6B: - Amending Mistake in Part 6 (Shows VMT Fix)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qRxXQnlhj8&fmt=22

Part 7 : - Setting Bone Constraints
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9WU3AH93r0&fmt=22

Part 8 : - Showing Phong Materials
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOiKHFo5mZU&fmt=22
    sorry there are soo many. theres about 13. each about 10mins.

33. Post #153
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    Don't mind if I bug you with another question - what bone/fin sizes are you using? 3DS Max 9 defaults to 10 for the width and height which is massive.

34. Post #154
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    651 Posts
    anything between 1-2, assuming you've sized your model to roughly alyx's size

35. Post #155
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    Cool, thanks again.

36. Post #156
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    651 Posts
    hm.. wait I don't think I even address how to weld in the video.

I'll make a part B for Video2 to go a bit indepth on how to do some simple operations like weld.

37. Post #157
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    Yay, you reuploaded Magnet's tutorials :D

38. Post #158
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    651 Posts
    I would upload it on youtube, but I never obtained his permission for that. I did how ever get the OK to rehost it for you guys. it's been there since 2007 I think

39. Post #159
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    Really? I tried to find them last year and all I found were broken links and the Spongebob model (or was it the South Park turd?) he used.

(aw snap, it was PBJ man)

40. Post #160
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    Oh god, I spent so much time fixing vertex weights only to suddenly realize that your tutorial doesn't apply to bodies with armor and other static parts. Phew, I'm pooped.