1. Post #161
    October 2007
    45 Posts
    awinnarisme posted:
    You set the gamemode to SB3 right?

Anyways, the system appears to work. But it has horrible balance issues.
    [list][*]The fusion generator uses liquid nitrogen WAY faster than I can create it.[*]Heavy water creation appears to use more energy than a fusion reactor creates, and uses more water than 2 medium pumps can make.[*]As far as other issues go:[*]Plants are still broken.[*]The suit dispenser should use liquid nitrogen.[/list]
    Me and my friends are not having any issues with the plants. How are they broken?

2. Post #162
    July 2007
    218 Posts
    myself posted:
    When plants are connected to CO2 tanks, they don't output oxygen. In space, they don't take any CO2, and don't create any oxygen. In an atmosphere, they take CO2, but don't produce oxygen. Once they are out of compressed CO2, they use the atmosphere's, which works.

Also, when outputting oxygen to tanks, they also output oxygen to the atmosphere, which I don't think they should. (They might also take CO2 from the atmosphere and tanks, which shouldn't happen either.)
    Taken from the RD3 thread.

3. Post #163
    June 2005
    347 Posts
    awinnarisme posted:
    You set the gamemode to SB3 right?

Anyways, the system appears to work. But it has horrible balance issues.
    [list][*]The fusion generator uses liquid nitrogen WAY faster than I can create it.[*]Heavy water creation appears to use more energy than a fusion reactor creates, and uses more water than 2 medium pumps can make.[*]As far as other issues go:[*]Plants are still broken.[*]The suit dispenser should use liquid nitrogen.[/list]
    I'll check them all out later today ;)

4. Post #164
    May 2008
    35 Posts
    snake_1_1 posted:
    I'll check them all out later today ;)
    GHAGFARFAF FIX MY PROBLEM

5. Post #165
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,924 Posts
    Oh be quiet.
    How's it going snake?

Edit:

I mean SB3 :P

6. Post #166
    April 2008
    220 Posts
    Features:
    * More LS complication!
    * Break SB2 stuff!
    * Brush Envs (WIP present in SB2 SVN, if Snake hasn't been too scared and removed it already.)

Not looking too good man... Anything else then introducing a shitload of new bugs because it's a rewrite?

Edit:

SVN Link: http://spacebuild.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
    Put this in garrysmod/gamemode/<sb3 folder that you checked out>, not in addons!

7. Post #167
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,924 Posts
    Closing the topic now.
    And well it's final, FP will never see the release links of SB3/LS3/RD3/....

FP Just produces stuff like this:

http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/s...3#post11662803
    Both by snake.
    So, about that link you just gave...

Edit:

And I have SB3. I just asked if there has been any changes in a while... have to play GMod again and update my SVNs

8. Post #168
    April 2008
    220 Posts
    Naw, I'll go add some more stuff to SB2 and call it a day. SB3 didn't implement any new algorithms, it just kept using that same O(n * num_planets) algorithm so there really was nothing new with it other then breaking a shitload of stuff and making LS more complicated. Again.

Edit:

Oh, and they changed the coding style from mostly readable to blended-papaya style.

Edit:

imadaman posted:
    Both by snake.
    So, about that link you just gave...

Edit:

And I have SB3. I just asked if there has been any changes in a while... have to play GMod again and update my SVNs
    If what I had said was really just bullshit and I was just a noob that liked bitching because I couldn't understand it because my IQ was lower then 43 then he'd just ignore me and release it.

As it is, when one of your ex-dev who is most likely better then you says that your system is shit and it needs a re-write usually that's the best time to bail out with some semblance of dignity left.

9. Post #169
    May 2008
    35 Posts
    OlivierHamel posted:
    Naw, I'll go add some more stuff to SB2 and call it a day. SB3 didn't implement any new algorithms, it just kept using that same O(n * num_planets) algorithm so there really was nothing new with it other then breaking a shitload of stuff and making LS more complicated. Again.

Edit:

Oh, and they changed the coding style from mostly readable to blended-papaya style.

Edit:

If what I had said was really just bullshit and I was just a noob that liked bitching because I couldn't understand it because my IQ was lower then 43 then he'd just ignore me and release it.

As it is, when one of your ex-dev who is most likely better then you says that your system is shit and it needs a re-write usually that's the best time to bail out with some semblance of dignity left.
    Quit yer bitchin. It's drownin out my bitchin.

10. Post #170

June 2006
    2 Posts
    I hope this isn't as stupid question but I've a feeling it might be. I have installed SB3, RD3 and both are working fine. But my life support menu has only to subheadings (gravity plating and storage devices) and when I click on them it comes up with a blank menu?

Anybody got any idea why? And how might I fix the problem? Thanks.

Edit:

And now it only displays gravity plating. Lol.

Edit:

Ok now I it only displays environmental controls, and in the tools menu. WELP.

11. Post #171
    April 2008
    220 Posts
    YouKnowWho posted:
    Anybody got any idea why? And how might I fix the problem? Thanks.
    Get RD2/LS2/SB2. SB3 & friends are all brokenz.

12. Post #172

June 2006
    2 Posts
    OlivierHamel posted:
    Thanks will try that.

13. Post #173
    August 2007
    30 Posts
    OliverHamel posted:
    What rock have you been living under...
    SB3/LS3/RD3 are all shit loads more stable than LS2/RD2 and SB2. Also, your the one who broke the prop damage system in CDS and added a crappy lag-fest effect to the CDS shield. So quit your complaining and go fix your own stuff first.

Also people, I'd recommend you don't get SB2/LS2 if OliverHamel (LPine) is updating them, they'll be broken after a while.

I'm done with LPine (his alt), now back on topic.. :p

Nice work so far Snake, and I'm liking the new version of the valves you've added. ;)

14. Post #174
    Old Member
    January 2006
    350 Posts
    Stop reporting people just because they have a different opinion to you, folks.

15. Post #175
    April 2008
    220 Posts
    mikfoz posted:
    Stop reporting people just because they have a different opinion to you, folks.
    :blah: If you can't defend yourself against rational arguments the solution isn't to go bother a moderator.

Edit:

Syncaidius posted:
    What rock have you been living under...
    SB3/LS3/RD3 are all shit loads more stable than LS2/RD2 and SB2. Also, your the one who broke the prop damage system in CDS and added a crappy lag-fest effect to the CDS shield. So quit your complaining and go fix your own stuff first.

Also people, I'd recommend you don't get SB2/LS2 if OliverHamel (LPine) is updating them, they'll be broken after a while.
    They're not broken right now, and they won't be in the future.
    As for the shield effect, apparently people didn't like my low lag particle variant so I did what they asked for, a bubble like effect and to be fair CDS was never the most stable of systems, mostly due to those ridiculous logic branches everywhere and I did my best (well, no, that would be a lie, I did a quick effort, since I wasn't all that interested) to fix it. If you're going to apply that logic elsewhere then I suggest that you bitch about Rambo6 for not fixing the bugs that are left in Redead.

16. Post #176
    May 2008
    35 Posts
    If anyone's still interested, I fixed my problem by renaming my "Spacebuild 3" folder to "Spacebuild3".

Also you all need to stop nerd-bitching at each other in a public thread. Go verbally cockslap each other on MSN or something; leave it out of the Spacebuild help thread.

17. Post #177
    April 2008
    220 Posts
    More Trolley posted:
    Spacebuild help thread
    :loleyes:
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

18. Post #178
    July 2008
    39 Posts
    I have 3 ideas for LS devices:

1) Water Extraction System
    Uses the Oil Drill model from Tiberium.
    After a 1 minute warmup period, extracts water from the ground.
    Works anywhere, as long as it is placed on the ground.
    Produces 100 water at a cost of 150 energy per second on high.
    Produces 10 water at a cost of 15 energy per second on low.

2) Hydrogen Fuel Cell
    Uses the Heavy Water Electroliser model from SB2.
    Makes power from Hydrogen.
    Works anywhere.
    Produces 100 water & 100 energy at a cost of 200 hydrogen & 200 air per second on high.
    Produces 10 water & 10 energy at a cost of 20 hydrogen & 20 air per second on low.

3) Water Electrolysis Cell
    Uses the Coolant Electroliser model from SB2's Hydrogen Addon.
    A fuel cell in reverse.
    Works anywhere.
    Produces 200 hydrogen & 100 air at a cost of 100 water & 100 energy per second on high.
    Produces 20 hydrogen & 10 air at a cost of 10 water & 10 energy per second on low.

I think that they would make Hydrogen WAY more useful, and water much easier to get (if you can make enough energy).
    I would be happy to make them, though I would have to learn LUA first. :)

19. Post #179
    July 2007
    79 Posts
    dylanwinn posted:
    3) Water Electrolysis Cell
    Uses the Heavy Water Electroliser model from SB2.
    A fuel cell in reverse.
    Works anywhere.
    Produces 20 hydrogen & 10 air at a cost of 10 water & 10 energy per second.

I think that they would make Hydrogen WAY more useful, and water much easier to get (if you can make enough energy).
    Can someone say H2O splitter?

I'd only suggest larger H2O splitters, the Hydrogen-generator (since hydrogen is practically useless) and looking into Climate regulators, in their current state they seem to REMOVE the atmosphere around it.
    That and binarysystem has some serious lighting issues.

Otherwise SB3 is fairly good. Unfortunately I can't run it because srcds insists on making the server computer hang for no reason.

EDIT:
    Also, LPine, do you have to try to shit on every thread that is not yours?

20. Post #180
    Bestest polish IFAPer
    February 2007
    4,915 Posts
    NO MORE OVERCOMPLICATIONS. D:

21. Post #181
    March 2008
    718 Posts
    Just a little thing for you who didn't notice, OliverHamel = LPine = YouKnowWho = LuaPineapple. And despite my thoughts of LPine being a Lua God, he IS being an arse right now. Just thought I'd let you know.
    And LPine, I may know next to naught about lua, but dust because you dislike snake's decisions on how to make it (CAF), doesn't mean it's broken and/or worth bashing.
    At any rate, at least we all know SB3 is good, I mean, there's a good few people both bashing AND defending! Proven fact: Anything bashed to near death must be awesome, so long as there's people left defending it that is!

Edit:

BBOOBBYY! posted:
    NO MORE OVERCOMPLICATIONS. D:
    Who is this guy? By the looks of his ratings, he just crawled out of the OIFY.
    (I just had to say that, his reply was so...)

Anyways, I don't think SB3 can get any more complex, not without making a physicist wonder what the hell is going on. Well, without exaggeration, I think the LS3, for the most part, is primarily done now (still waiting on oxygen scrubbers and hydrogen-powered reactors, mostly) and won't get any more complex. If you are one of the few who wish for even more complexity, make an addon for LS3.

22. Post #182
    October 2007
    45 Posts
    Levybreak posted:
    Anyways, I don't think SB3 can get any more complex, not without making a physicist wonder what the hell is going on. Well, without exaggeration, I think the LS3, for the most part, is primarily done now (still waiting on oxygen scrubbers and hydrogen-powered reactors, mostly) and won't get any more complex. If you are one of the few who wish for even more complexity, make an addon for LS3.
    It is still to soon to say that. Its missing some things to me. Some things what I hoped for was a fuel cell that snapped on to something that resembled the RD 2 Resource pump, so it could be quickly transfered without linking it with the link tool. The other thing I had hoped for was Life support thrusters, but this is still my opinion though.

23. Post #183
    July 2008
    39 Posts
    Fuel cells and electrolysis cells:

They need to be there, and they need to have large capacity, but the ability to run at a lower capacity as well.

Hydrogen Reactors:

A generator that uses hydrogen, but produces much more energy than a fuel cell is absolutely necessary. It should, however, be very large and easily destroyed.

LS Engines:

There should be at least one LS Resource powered engine, and it should be much more powerful than a single thruster ever could be, and feature wire control inputs. A warp drive version would be awesome.

LS Thrusters:

Would be nice, but not a top priority.

Just my opinion, though! ;)

-----------------

LS Engine Ideas:

Fusion Rocket
    Fuses Hydrogen & propels Helium out the back
    Requires Hydrogen
    Most powerful, but hogs resources, requires a warmup time.

Chemical Rocket
    Rapidly Oxidizes Hydrogen & propels Steam out the back
    Requires Hydrogen & Air
    Second most powerful, uses more hydrogen than a fusion rocket, but starts instantly.

Nitrogen Rocket
    Superheats Nitrogen & propels it out the back
    Requires Nitrogen & Energy
    Mid Power, not too efficient, but starts instantly.

Hydrogen Ion Propulsion System
    Ionizes Hydrogen & propels it out the back
    Requires Hydrogen & Energy
    Second Least Powerful, but fairly efficient, requires a warmup time.

Ion Drive
    Propels Electrons out the Back
    Requires Energy
    Least Powerful, but uses very few resources.

24. Post #184
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    Sorry if this is something very obvious, but I have tried to for about an hour to get it working, and it still doesn't.

At first I downloaded everything from glua. I extracted it all to the correct places (everything in addons except for SB3 which went in gamemodes). Loaded up Gmod and started a game on binary system with the SB3 gamemode selected. The menu was there and I could select 'generators', but when I attempted to spawn any of them, it gave me a lua error. I tried to spawn other things, but NOTHING other than a supply connector would spawn, and even that just spammed me with errors.

Then I found the SVN link for SB3, tried that (after deleting the old gamemode folder) and things still wouldn't spawn, but now I don't even have generators on my menu.

If necessary I can post what the lua errors actually said.

Edit:

Sorry, ignore that. I just deleted all SB2/LS2/RD2 stuff and it now works fine. I expect that it says that somewhere, but you really should move all the information about this into one place... like the first post.

25. Post #185
    May 2008
    35 Posts
    Is there any way of loading saved spacebuild games without it spazzing out?

26. Post #186

November 2006
    2 Posts
    mecaguy03 posted:
    About the warp drive- wasn't there a inter-server stargate on a network of spacebuild servers once? a inter-server warp drive would be AWESOME.

i can't wait untill i can warp from sb_gooniverse to GM_Galactic_RC1

:D
    Tomatonet servers are linked by inter-server stargates.

27. Post #187
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,239 Posts
    Not sure if this is a shit question:

But from what I can tell so far, Pretty much anything that has an axis or ballsocket in it will turn into an abrupt lagfest if it leaves the atmosphere of a planet and hits space. In other words, any ship with a door or hatch.

This did not happen in SB2, so I suspect it has something to do with the code in the Spacebuild3 Gamemode.

I have already tried Weld latches, adjusting the weight, and elastics. All ended in lag-fest disaster. I thought I would let you know about this problem. Because of it, the whole gamemode is unplayable for me as my ships would be confined to atmosphere lest the explode if they tried to leave it.

I thought I would let you know about that compatibility issue.

28. Post #188
    March 2008
    718 Posts
    wasn't a problem for me. :D
    I just weld-latched the 2 things that are ball-socketed... then placed it up into space.

29. Post #189
    June 2005
    347 Posts
    Madman_Andre posted:

But from what I can tell so far, Pretty much anything that has an axis or ballsocket in it will turn into an abrupt lagfest if it leaves the atmosphere of a planet and hits space. In other words, any ship with a door or hatch.

This did not happen in SB2, so I suspect it has something to do with the code in the Spacebuild3 Gamemode.

I have already tried Weld latches, adjusting the weight, and elastics. All ended in lag-fest disaster. I thought I would let you know about this problem. Because of it, the whole gamemode is unplayable for me as my ships would be confined to atmosphere lest the explode if they tried to leave it.

I'll check it out but I don't know if I will be able to do much about it.
    I've made the SB3 system more accurate when it comes to changing the gravity. I didn't change the way it got set (since well there aren't much ways you can set the gravity). So the problem is caused more because it's more accurate then being caused by anything else...

30. Post #190
    July 2008
    39 Posts
    Try using a hinge instead of a ball& socket. Also, use a taught rope to hold the hatch shut during flight. That tends to minimize lag, although not completely eliminate it. But, unless you plan to be walking around the cabin of your spaceship while it is moving, the lag isn't a real problem, as it generally doesn't effect other players. Worst case, just go without the hatch, it's not really necessary...

THE "..." STRIKES AGAIN... lol

31. Post #191
    August 2007
    30 Posts
    dylanwinn posted:
    LS Thrusters:

Would be nice, but not a top priority.
    Those might be available sooner than you think (snake knows what I mean). ;)

32. Post #192
    July 2008
    39 Posts
    ohh! Yay!

Now I don't have to make them!

33. Post #193
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,682 Posts
    Madman_Andre posted:

As far as I know, this problem has nothing to do with SB, since I've been using it since 1.8 and the spazzing hydraulics didn't start until the Engine Change that Broke Everything (Capitalized for historical recognition).
    Just tossing this out there, someone might want to look into it.

34. Post #194
    July 2008
    39 Posts
    Yes, the Historic Engine Change That Broke Everything is responsible for well, everything. However, I have not been able to replicate this problem. Simply attach the door with a hinge, then hold it shut with a winch. Zero lag.

Seriously, Andre, it works!

35. Post #195
    May 2008
    35 Posts
    so...
    saving?

36. Post #196
    July 2008
    39 Posts
    lol... Use Advanced Duplicator. GMOD's save feature isn't so perfect.

37. Post #197
    May 2008
    35 Posts
    TO THE GARRY

38. Post #198
    April 2006
    12 Posts
    Tinosku posted:
    Tomatonet servers are linked by inter-server stargates.
    Mind posting HOW? It will not do such for me.

Now, question about SB3. Iv tried it,its,eh , Ok *I gota get used to it, but i'm likin the new system*
    My question? How the hell do pumps work. Because for me, they don't.

39. Post #199
    June 2005
    347 Posts
    1) connect them to a Resource Node
    2) press use
    3) select one of the pumps on the right (right list = pumps in range)
    4) press connect

If all went well the pumps should be connected

Note: A system like the old pumps (hose) will be put in again later on for people who liked that more

5) Select the resource you want to transfer on the right
    6) set the rate in the middld
    7) press set rate (or update rate or whatever I called it)
    8) repeat step 5 -7 for each resource you want to set the transfer rate for

9) press Turn on button on the bottom-right.

Edit:

Wire can be used optionally for turning on/connecting/disconnecting/turning off to.

40. Post #200
    July 2008
    39 Posts
    Ya, I find these new pumps confusing, but the old ones were a lagfest. Go ahead and bring the old pumps back, but a version of the new pump that does not require you to set the pumprate would be nice.

EDIT:

Anyone have a guide to SB3 mapping?
    (I found a guide on SB2 mapping, and a SB3 mapping cheatsheet, but a SB3 guide would be nice)

EDIT:

Can anyone explain these flags (ie: are they percentages, etc..):

* Atmosphere
    * Oxygen (O2)
    * Carbon Dioxide
    * Nitrogen
    * Hydrogen

EDIT:

Why is it that I can't seem to get the same version of SB_Forlorn that the servers use?