January 2010
    654 Posts
    What server is everybody on?
    Brandywine

2. Post #562
    The Doctor Is In
    September 2009
    24,005 Posts
    I think Brandywine is the server that the majority of FPers frequent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #563
    January 2010
    654 Posts
    Names Chonco
    Don't ask.

4. Post #564
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    2,664 Posts
    Snowbourn

5. Post #565
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    873 Posts
    Snowbourn.

6. Post #566
    Tuba Player Extraordinaire
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    So it is between Brandywine and Snowbourn?

7. Post #567
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    2,664 Posts
    Brandywine is US whilst Snowbourn is EU. They don't use the same client.

8. Post #568
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    June 2007
    1,659 Posts
    I've decided to finally try LOTR online, downloading the client just now.

I'll probably be looking to be playing a fighter/tanking class, any suggestions on build? (I've never played this before so correct me if I'm assuming anything)

9. Post #569
    January 2010
    2,368 Posts
    I've decided to finally try LOTR online, downloading the client just now.

I'll probably be looking to be playing a fighter/tanking class, any suggestions on build? (I've never played this before so correct me if I'm assuming anything)
    Fighter = Champion.
    Tanking = Guardian.

Captain is a nice middle ground of goddamn fucking everything except for ranged attacks, but I enjoy it immensely as it's allowed me to practice every possible bit of being a Fellowship/Raid member without having a restrictive specific class.

10. Post #570
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    2,664 Posts
    There's also Wardens. They are built more as an offtank though, taking care of lots of not-as-hard hitting mobs. The devs admitted that they were inspired by the spartans from 300 when designing the Warden.

11. Post #571
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    873 Posts
    If you're in the EU, now's your chance to get the Lonelands quest pack for just 50 Turbine Points. It's on deal, 86% off.

12. Post #572
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    2,664 Posts
    WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT, TURBINE AND CODEMASTERS ONLINE UNVEIL THE LORD OF THE RINGS ONLINE™: RISE OF ISENGARD™

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment unveiled today The Lord of the Rings Online™: Rise of Isengard™, the latest expansion to the award-winning free-to-play massively multiplayer online roleplaying game (MMORPG) developed by Turbine. Rise of Isengard will expand the online world of Middle-earth where players will join forces to press further eastward into the legendary region of Isengard. Rise of Isengard will be available for purchase in the LOTRO Store in the Fall of 2011 with an increased level cap, the new region of Isengard including the legendary tower of Orthanc, enhancements to monster play and much more!

“2010 has been a year of unprecedented growth for The Lord of the Rings Online with our successful introduction of a free-to-play option for our players,” said Kate Paiz, Executive Producer of The Lord of the Rings Online. “This is going to be another outstanding year for the game as we progress on our journey toward Mordor and it all begins with our upcoming November update. The journey will carry through 2011 ending with our arrival in the epic region of Isengard where players will confront the raging war and shadow that has spread across Middle-earth.”

NEW FEATURES
    [list][*]Experience the Rise of Isengard – The Epic Story continues as the Grey Company makes its way south into Dunland, but troubles arise as their road takes them into lands where Dunlending forces, marshaled by the Wizard Saruman, prepare for war. The Rangers must seek new allies and face dangerous new foes, chief among them the traitor Saruman, whose web of intrigue threatens to endanger your quest, your friends, and your life.[*]Increased Level Cap — Players will be able advance their characters up to level 70, gaining access to new traits, virtues, skills and class quests. [*]Expanded Monster Play – LOTRO’s monster play system will get a major revamp including opening up the feature to all players, changes to monster player skills and advancement and a brand new region for players to battle for or against the forces of evil. [/list]

Monsterplay revamp! Fuck yesssssssss!

13. Post #573
    January 2010
    2,368 Posts
    Getting closer to Gondor/Rohan, I like it. Does this mean Mines of Moria will be F2P as I heard rumoured before, or no? I've been tempted to buy it now that I'm level 49 and getting close to the standard cap, and also I'm going to need Legendary Items if things keep up.

14. Post #574
    July 2010
    5,555 Posts
    How does monster play work? Someone explain to me please and I may consider upgrading sometime in the future.

15. Post #575
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    2,664 Posts
    Getting closer to Gondor/Rohan, I like it. Does this mean Mines of Moria will be F2P as I heard rumoured before, or no? I've been tempted to buy it now that I'm level 49 and getting close to the standard cap, and also I'm going to need Legendary Items if things keep up.
    No idea about Moria getting free. Although you can still do Tasks. And if I'm not mistaken, you will get a legendary weapon and access to the full system as it is a part of the epic books - which is free.

How does monster play work? Someone explain to me please and I may consider upgrading sometime in the future.
    Give me an hour or so.

Edited:

When you first click the monsterplay button at the main screen, you are taken to a new screen where you chose one out of the 6 characters: Uruk Warleader (buff, healing, tanking), Uruk Black-Arrow (range DPS), Orc Reaver (melee DPS), Orc Defiler (healer, debuffer), Warg Stalker (stealth, melee DPS) and Spider Weaver (melee/ranged DPS, debuff & utility).

You are then transported to the starting area of the bad guys - Gramsfoot. You start out at max level but rank 0. You advance and get better by killing other players.

Here you see me. A rank 8 (out of 15) Black-Arrow. There are 3 tiers of different maps to get around easily. You gain them by completing a series of quests at each stronghold. The higher tiered map, you'll end up at a better spot and the map got a shorter cooldown. There's also a map back to base. But you get that one from the start.

To the left in green you see the most important feature a new player should focus on. These are your passive stats. The ones filled in with yellow are those you start with. The reds are ones bought. These are class specific so as a new BA you will 3 yellow blocks and 2 empty red boxes in the Damage bar. In comparison, Warleaders can never get 5 Damage.
    I actually numbered those wrong. It should be 0, 1, 2, 3, 4. Which represents the rank you are able to buy new levels for your passive skills shown in that window.

The currency you use to buy stats, skills and appearances for is DP, Destiny Points. You are awarded these when completing quests and when killing enemy players. This is server wide. So if you earn 100 000 DP with one of your monsters, you can spend them on your newly created ones too. Even on your good characters!

Here I show you the store in which you buy your skills and abilities. I'm down to my last passive now which I will get on my next rank. After you've completed the first batch of passives at rank 4. You start another one at rank 5. Here you get more detailed passive increases, which in my case means ranged damage, ranged criticals, power regeneration and something else I forgot.

To the right you see my war tab. Here I can track my progress and weep over the mountain of Infamy I must accumulate.

The questionmark is a bit of a bitch. The base Infamy/Renown rewarded is 100. And it is multiplied by the victim's rating. So if you kill me 1v1, you should gain 134 Renown. I'm not sure how Rating is awarded. You gain when you kill and lose when you die.

Here I'm killing some freeps. Everyone that took part in killing this poor bastard get a percentage of damage done rewarded in Infamy.
    Within groups and raids, Infamy is split between everyone regardless of ones involvement. You usually are down to about 5 per kill. But in massive raid fights you can easily get 3000-4000 in a few hours.

Highest ranked creep on our server.

Killed by the highest ranked freep (free people) - Etheldar.

I hope this was helpful. If you got any questions I'm here to answer them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #576
    July 2010
    5,555 Posts
    That was very well done. It looks sweet. How would I go about upgrading my account though?

17. Post #577
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    2,664 Posts
    You need VIP to access monsterplay. Buy one month of game time and you are set to go. If you feel that it isn't really your thing, you don't have to continue your subscription.
    And once your sub runs out, you will be a Premium member permanently.

18. Post #578
    January 2010
    352 Posts
    is there an FP kinship on brandywine?

Edited:

nevermind, didn't know once you make a character on a server it doesn't carry on to the others

19. Post #579
    July 2010
    2,005 Posts
    Just made a character on Snowbourn.

20. Post #580
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,793 Posts
    What features are exclusive to paid accounts?

21. Post #581
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    873 Posts
    What features are exclusive to paid accounts?
    http://www.lotro.com/betasignup/vipchart.html
    There are some parts of this that are slightly outdated, e.g. even as a premium player you get 5 Character Slots now, but it gives a good general overview.

22. Post #582
    July 2010
    5,555 Posts
    You need VIP to access monsterplay. Buy one month of game time and you are set to go. If you feel that it isn't really your thing, you don't have to continue your subscription.
    And once your sub runs out, you will be a Premium member permanently.
    Could you give me a link please? The website is absolute crap for buying stuff. I'm from the UK aswell.

23. Post #583
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    2,664 Posts
    Don't know if they've changed it since F2P. But go to: https://cogaccounts.codemasters.com/?skin=lotro and log in to your account. It should say "activate subscription" or something similar to the right.

24. Post #584
    July 2010
    5,555 Posts
    Don't know if they've changed it since F2P. But go to: https://cogaccounts.codemasters.com/?skin=lotro and log in to your account. It should say "activate subscription" or something similar to the right.
    Thanks, I just can't log in now.

Using the same password and username but it won't work. If i try to register it takes me to the LOTR register which I know I did since i'm playing the game.

Edited:

Found out now. I had to go onto the Turbine account and upgrade from there. However the link you gave me, it couldn't even find my account name and when I went to sign up, it said my username wasn't taken.

25. Post #585
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    2,664 Posts
    Oh right, how silly of me. I thought you were playing the European client. They got different account pages and clients.

Glad you got it to work though!

26. Post #586
    July 2010
    5,555 Posts
    Thanks for all your help bro. :buddy:

I'll probably buy a time card though, if those still work. Since it's $15 for 1 month but $10 for 60 days...

27. Post #587
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    873 Posts
    We should be seeing the November update soon...
    Release Notes: http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Relea...pdate_Official

28. Post #588
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    2,664 Posts
    Oh god. I completely forgot!

29. Post #589
    July 2010
    5,555 Posts
    Update is now live. woop.

30. Post #590
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    2,664 Posts
    Still got to wait a week. :/

31. Post #591
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    873 Posts
    Have they confirmed the EU release date?

32. Post #592
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    2,664 Posts
    This is what they said on the forum last friday.

"We are expecting delivery of the new build next Tuesday and therefore until we have had the opportunity to test and verify the new code we won't be able to firm up any launch dates. Assuming there are no critical problems with the EU version, we are tentatively targeting a 7th December launch date."

33. Post #593
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    873 Posts
    Hmm, not too bad I guess. Still a long time to wait for all those juicy LRM updates.

34. Post #594
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    2,664 Posts
    This is a breeze compared to the wait of the F2P update
    And I've gotten kinda used to it. All previous updates have arrived a week or so later here in Europe.

Although I must admit, I'm eager to play my lrm too.

35. Post #595
    July 2010
    5,555 Posts
    I got the update today. :raise:

36. Post #596
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,136 Posts
    Man, I'm getting faster download speeds than I've seen in a long time. Its staying right around 3.5Mb/s

37. Post #597
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    2,699 Posts
    Idk why but I enjoy this game more than WoW, It feels funner and more like im not doing the same thing, and since It relates to a series of awesome books!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #598
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    873 Posts
    Idk why but I enjoy this game more than WoW, It feels funner and more like im not doing the same thing, and since It relates to a series of awesome books!
    I also really prefer the graphical style to WoWs, it's not so cartoony.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #599
    July 2010
    5,555 Posts
    and films.

40. Post #600
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    2,664 Posts
    How's the new winter home-thingey? I'm kinda curious.