1. Post #1
    July 2007
    51 Posts
    I can easily model, as well as texture, but it seems like there is no documentation for how to make addons for gmod. The modding page on garrysmod.com only explains how to make tutorial videos, and if I'm correct none of them have been made. I can install any program, I can get my models and textures into almost any format needed. I have Wings3d as the modeller, and I have paint.net and Gimp for textures, I have source sdk and XSI mod tool as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    603 Posts
    Too bad you need nothing of those to make addons!

With addons, do you mean like model packs or actual code?
    You can learn GMod lua here: http://wiki.garrysmod.com/wiki/?title=Lua
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    July 2007
    51 Posts
    I have literally hundreds of models I want to add to gmod, I don't think that requires any kind of lua.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    April 2008
    10 Posts
    No what he means is that info file that you put into your folder so that you can just unzip it into the add ons folder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

5. Post #5

August 2007
    6 Posts
    You need to add Spawn Icons which require Lua.

Sorry bud.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,830 Posts
    No you don't.
    Gmod automatically creates icons.
    9.0.4er.
    :mad:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

7. Post #7

June 2008
    18 Posts
    Haha, yeah GMod 10 (10 or 11 whichever you prefer) does automatically generate spawn icons. You need to make an info file containing details such as author name e-mail etc.

Here's some sample code:
    Code:
    "AddonInfo"
    {
    	"name"		"Addon Name"
    	"version"	"Version *****"
    	"up_date"	"Upload Date"
    	"author_name"	"*****"
    	"author_url"   "http://websitehere.com"

"author_email"	"E-Mail"

"info"		"Small Description of your addon"

"GCFRequires"
    	{
          		//"0"	"220"
    	}
    }

8. Post #8
    July 2007
    51 Posts
    Please, really now. I have the models in wings, how do I make the vtx's and vtf's that gmod uses? I know how the info.txt works, and it's pointless to even explain it when it's self-explanatory, basically the same as the old TDF's back in Spring RTS.

9. Post #9
    August 2009
    516 Posts
    Even if this topic is a year old I'll ask : How do you make addons be only admin usable? (Spawnable)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Bulgaria Show Events

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,410 Posts
    Even if this topic is a year old I'll ask : How do you make addons be only admin usable? (Spawnable)
    Like the manhack gun?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    November 2008
    245 Posts
    ffs, its in the lua code, not the addons.

if you REALLY want a personalized addon, look for the shared.lua file in the addons folder of the object u wanna make admin-only and find ENT.adminspawnable and set it to true, and ENT:spawnable, set it to false.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    October 2009
    2 Posts
    I still dont get it, how do i make a mod on gmod??
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    November 2006
    1,450 Posts
    I still dont get it, how do i make a mod on gmod??
    It depends what kind of mod you want to make.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    October 2009
    204 Posts
    I make all kinds of mods, it's just common sense.
    If I want an Airplane, I make an airplane :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

15. Post #15

February 2010
    6 Posts
    I'm insanely new to making addons so new i dont know how to make them so what software do i need to make addons????
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,625 Posts
    I'm insanely new to making addons so new i dont know how to make them so what software do i need to make addons????
    Notepad.

Preferably notepad ++
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

17. Post #17
    Oh you, look at the thread dates, (I don't like 10'ers bumping all the threads)
    You have to learn Gmod LUA http://wiki.garrysmod.com/?title=Lua_Tutorial_Series

Edited:

Oh my god, what a post.

Edited:

Oh my god, what a post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

18. Post #18
    January 2010
    49 Posts
    Oh fuck! Dasboshitte!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Philippines Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    June 2010
    6 Posts
    Hey, i know its been a while sense this was active, but what the heck - i am curious how i could add units from knights of the old republic to Gmod in an addon as NPC units. They dont have to be playable or hold weapons, they just have to stand there and look pretty :)

i'd appreciate any asistance!

20. Post #20
    August 2006
    581 Posts
    Hey, i know its been a while sense this was active, but what the heck - i am curious how i could add units from knights of the old republic to Gmod in an addon as NPC units. They dont have to be playable or hold weapons, they just have to stand there and look pretty :)

i'd appreciate any asistance!
    You would probably have to export and import the models from KOTOR into a model editor, if that's possible, and then save it using a editor compitable with source (creates .mdl files). There's probably a lot more complications, but that's all I know.

Edited:

Models/Skins subforum would be more specifically educated to help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

21. Post #21
    June 2010
    6 Posts
    You would probably have to export and import the models from KOTOR into a model editor, if that's possible, and then save it using a editor compitable with source (creates .mdl files). There's probably a lot more complications, but that's all I know.

Edited:

Models/Skins subforum would be more specifically educated to help.
    thanks for the info! from the entity-addons i have used in game so far, they seam to work great, and i'd be willing to settle for that with my models. I am going to UC Berkley this week and will be working in a great computer lab, and staff so i'll see what i can dig up on an editor. Any further details would be great if at all possible.

22. Post #22

June 2010
    1 Posts
    what program is needed to make objects like the stuff in the stargate mod and like the stuff in the entities catagory in the ingame menue

23. Post #23
    April 2010
    2,547 Posts
    Stop bumping this thread, people. It's almost 2 years old.

Make new threads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24

October 2010
    1 Posts

(User was permabanned for this post ("Gimmick" - PacificV2))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Argentina Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    2,024 Posts
    You need to add Spawn Icons which require Lua.

Sorry bud.
    You do not know what your talking about , You can set spawn icons in setting/spawnlist
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete France Show Events

26. Post #26
    October 2011
    10 Posts
    Look i don't care how old this is but I need to figre out how to make model packs ready for workshop i got the files needed and i have use my prop in gmod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1Late Late x 1 (list)