1. Post #1
    May 2008
    231 Posts
    GMod 10 Server Tutorial

After all the trouble i had when setting up my server i decided to make a new tutorial that explains every thing I know of from scratch.
    (also you don't need to know much of anything about computers to do this tutorial :D)
    The first thing you're going to want to do is make a new folder where you want your server to be
    ( mine is C:\server (so you would make a folder called server is the root of your hard drive)
    After that's done click this link: http://www.steampowered.com/download/hldsupdatetool.exe
    save it and put it in the folder you just made. Now you need to open the command prompt (its okay if you've never heard of this before :D)
    For XP users fallow number 1 and Vista users number 2

1: open the start menu click Run and type cmd and hit enter, now there should be a black box with some letters and stuff.

2: open the start menu click All Programs find Accessories click it now click Command Prompt, now there should be a black box with some letters and stuff.

Now that that's all over (P.S. your probably going to need to do that alot more)
    click on the black box and type this cd C:\<the folder you just made> and replace
    <the folder you just made with the name of the folder you just made!
    so for me it would look like this cd C:\server
    Now (if your still even reading this) type this hldsupdatetool.exe and hit enter
    Now when it is done type this hldsupdatetool -command update -game garrysmod -dir C:\server and replace server with the folder you made at the start
    NOW YOUR DOWNLOADING YOUR SERVER!!!!! :D When it does finish (it can take a few hours) you are going to need to make a shortcut to run your server
    now open the folder you downloaded the server to and open notepad and type cd C:\server\orangebox\ (replace server with the name of the folder you made at the start)
    hit enter and type this srcds.exe -game garrysmod now hit enter now click file now hit save as and type this gmod server start.bat (TYPE .bat AT THE END!)
    and in the drop down menu that says save as type change it to All Files now save it where you want now just click that to start up your server anytime you want!
    now open the folder you made at start then open the folder called orangebox, now this is going to look sort of like your gmod root folder but this one is for your
    server now if you open the folder called garrysmod you and then the one called addons here you can install addons for your server just like you do for your computer

Now if you have a router you are going to need to do port forwarding first go here http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm pick your os and fallow that
    next go here http://www.portforward.com/english/r...outerindex.htm find your router model number click it then find the link called Half Life 2 Steam Server
    click it now fallow that and then your done with port forwarding
    now you are going to need to set up your server with all the addons you want (you get to pick e'm!)

Now setting your self as admin, first you need to start your server and join it then minimize GMod then goto the server window click on the players tab find you and wright down you Steam ID
    now close GMod and your server then open your server folder open the folder orangebox open garrysmod then open settings now look for users.txt open it now it probably won't look to recognizable as anything
    now hold CTRL and press A then click Delete now replace copy all this:
    From after this line
    "Users"
    {
    //
    // This is your users file
    //
    // You can use this file to add people as admins on your server
    // Add them to the relevant section
    //
    // If you're a Lua coder you can add your own sections and use them
    // in your script by doing pl:IsUserGroup( "admin" ) etc
    //

"superadmin"

{
    "your name" "your steam id"
    "" ""
    }

"admin"
    {
    "" ""
    }
    }

Until before this line
    and replace your name with you steam name and your steam id with your steam id that you got just before this (and leave the quotes on both of them)
    Then save it and close it. Now for an Admin script i like ULX go here http://ulyssesmod.net/?UL=download download the ULX with Ulib (i think the third)
    and install it (note that the default install directory for the server folder is srcds so just replace that with you server folder name), now to use admin commands type this in the chat !menu and that will bring up the admin menu there are sortcuts
    for all the commands but I'm not going to talk about those.

and for updating your server open the command prompt cd (go back if you forgot how) to the server folder and type this

hldsupdatetool.exe -command update -game garrysmod -dir C:\server (and replace server with your server folder name)

If you have any questions or Comments just post away.

Thanks! (I hope this helps!)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2

June 2008
    5 Posts
    When it ask's the server ip address what do you put because there are load's of ip address's to pick from.

3. Post #3
    May 2008
    231 Posts
    Do you mean the router ip the gmod server ip? or what? Also are you talking about the portforward.com parts or not?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

4. Post #4

June 2008
    5 Posts
    Kokopelli13 posted:
    Do you mean the router ip the gmod server ip? or what? Also are you talking about the portforward.com parts or not?
    When i portfoward on the Livebox it asks for a server ip and when i type in the ip from the dedicated server it says wrong internal ip.

Also when you say this. "and for updating your server open the command prompt cd (go back if you forgot how) to the server folder and type this.."
    the "command prompt?" is that were you go to the start menu and click run. and type command??

5. Post #5
    May 2008
    231 Posts
    Well for opening the command prompt fallow this part "For XP users fallow number 1 and Vista users number 2

1: open the start menu click Run and type cmd and hit enter, now there should be a black box with some letters and stuff.

2: open the start menu click All Programs find Accessories click it now click Command Prompt, now there should be a black box with some letters and stuff."

As for your port forwarding problem I looked at the livebox guide and when it asks for the server IP put in the static IP of your computer (the first portforward.com guide)

Hopes this help! :)

6. Post #6
    May 2008
    231 Posts
    Sorry double post.... :(

(just trying to something with this post....)

Tell me if that works!
    \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

7. Post #7

June 2008
    5 Posts
    Soo i use static IP
    i have been tolled to use my static IP , my lan ip , and my computer's ip! so i will now try static IP and when i have finished it should work then.
    I will reply soon

8. Post #8
    June 2008
    10 Posts
    Thanks for the guide, I'll have to try that out. Just a quick question, is there any way I can set a password to only allow my friends to join? How would I do that? Thanks.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,126 Posts
    J4ck M posted:
    Thanks for the guide, I'll have to try that out. Just a quick question, is there any way I can set a password to only allow my friends to join? How would I do that? Thanks.
    sv_password "thepasswordyouwant"

10. Post #10
    June 2008
    627 Posts
    this should get locked with yellow text at the top of the Server Hosting Forum :D

11. Post #11
    May 2008
    231 Posts
    J4ck M posted:
    When you start the server on the "main" tab there's going to be settings like map and things like that, one of them is player passowrd, just set that to whatever you want.

PayamT posted:
    this should get locked with yellow text at the top of the Server Hosting Forum
    Thanks! :D

Also I'm thinking of making some bat scripts to make it easier to set up (so all you gotta do is click wait and run) and If you think that's a good Idea tell me.

12. Post #12
    August 2007
    10 Posts
    How do I configure it? I have the armpit one. There is absolutely nothing in the configure tab. Please help!

13. Post #13

May 2008
    21 Posts
    How do you update you're dedicated server?

14. Post #14
    June 2008
    4 Posts
    When I enter C:\Myserver, I get somtheing that says that it's not noticed as command.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,515 Posts
    When I do this:

Now when it is done type this hldsupdatetool -command update -game garrysmod -dir C:\server and replace server with the folder you made at the start

It does the same thing as doing the step before it. I don't know what is wrong with it.

16. Post #16
    foxcock
    June 2008
    6,873 Posts
    Kokopelli13 posted:
    NOW YOUR DOWNLOADING YOUR SERVER!!!!!!
    Nothing happened.

It just brought back up the installer.

17. Post #17
    August 2008
    8 Posts
    This is just tops! I have been wanting to do this for months now. Thank you!

18. Post #18
    November 2007
    100 Posts
    RedBlade2021 posted:
    When I do this:

It does the same thing as doing the step before it. I don't know what is wrong with it.
    you need to cd to the directory it installed into, eg

cd C:/Program Files/Valve/HLServer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #19

July 2008
    5 Posts
    When i try to install it the command prompt says checking bootstrapper version... then closses

20. Post #20
    Dennab
    February 2008
    168 Posts
    Hey, First of all, i would like to say, Great Tutorial! This is a very well done tutorial(its follow not fallow) And I'm just wondering why my Server does not show up in the server's list? i have my ports forwarded to my static IP - address and it shows up when i start my server, but my server just doesn't show up? I don't understand why? If you could, please help me..? Thank you very much.

21. Post #21

August 2008
    1 Posts
    everything has worked so far, but i click my shortcut to start it up the server thing opens up but when i click start it says "Your RCON password must consist of 3 characters and consist of only letters and numbers" but i dont want a password so what do i do.

22. Post #22
    August 2008
    1 Posts
    hellmonkey27 posted:
    everything has worked so far, but i click my shortcut to start it up the server thing opens up but when i click start it says "Your RCON password must consist of 3 characters and consist of only letters and numbers" but i dont want a password so what do i do.
    Your RCON password is the admin password I think?

Also, great tutorial. I'll be giving this a go when I have chance.

23. Post #23
    July 2008
    13 Posts
    Bump :)

Nice, But try to reformat the way you lay it out. It is confusing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #24

January 2008
    3 Posts
    do i type my steam name or my steam username in the super admin grup

25. Post #25
    July 2007
    44 Posts
    When I choosethe Directory and press next it says this "Half-Life Dedicated Server Update Tool Setup has detected that you are currently running the Half-Life Dedicated Server Update Tool on this machine. For the Half-Life Dedicated Server Update Tool to be installed correctly, you must shut down the instance of Half-Life Dedicated Server Update Tools that is already running.

Once Half-Life Dedicated Server Update Tool Setup has completed you can safely restart the tool.

Installation will now exit"

But that was the only thing running on my computer besides the internet to read this. The hldsupdatetool was the only thing running besides the internet. What do I do now? (I have windows XP).

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,017 Posts
    Hello.
    When i go into that folder or do anything with the hdlsupdatetool it says memory cannot be writen/read. then windows shuts down (not the whole windows just explorer.exe

also, i directed it to the file, but it says it does not exist. this is probebly an error within the file rather than my pc.

Edit:

Please make it a bit more advanced and helpfull.

"so for me it would look like this cd C:\server
    Now (if your still even reading this) type this hldsupdatetool.exe and hit enter"
    that starts an install right? it is in f:\valve

"Now when it is done type this hldsupdatetool -command update -game garrysmod -dir C:\server and replace server with the folder you made at the start
    NOW YOUR DOWNLOADING YOUR SERVER!!!!! "

that just starts up the install from above. i dont get it. please help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,275 Posts
    I have done absolutely everything.

I have followed every possible tutorial I can find on server creation but my new router refuses to work.

The server is installed correctly/updated/working fine

The ports are 100% correct

but it still won't show on the server list.

and when I set my server to use port 27015 it goes to 27016.
    27014 work, 27016, 27017, etc. But it won't stay on 27015.
    This is probably a clue but I don't know what it means.

28. Post #28
    August 2007
    53 Posts
    I keep trying to do the thing to replace but I keep getting this. 'C:\server' is not recongnized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file, or it gives me this The syntax of the cammand is incorrect. I have no idea what to do. Please help me.

29. Post #29
    September 2008
    23 Posts
    one_question posted:
    When it ask's the server ip address what do you put because there are load's of ip address's to pick from.

how do i put adv dupe files on gmod.org

30. Post #30
    May 2008
    3,082 Posts
    Can this run under Linux through Wine without having X installed?

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    5,383 Posts
    Ok hold up, So exactly What should I type in commands cause it says path could not be specified. I already have my Folder up its named Server and i have the file in it
    so what do i type word for word

ex.-cd C:\server...blah blah

32. Post #32
    June 2008
    59 Posts
    can someone help me i have 2 pcs with one i am hosting and with the other i try to find the server but i can't find it why ?

33. Post #33
    fucking incredible
    September 2008
    4,622 Posts
    This still doesn't work for me. When I type hldsupdatetool -command update -game garrysmod -dir C:\server it only activates the hldsupdatetool and downloads to the default. When I try switching it to download to C:\server it says:
    Half-Life Dedicated Server Update Tool Setup has detected that you are currently running the Half-Life Dedicated Server Update Tool on this machine. For the Half-Life Dedicated Server Update Tool to be installed correctly, you must shut down the instance of the Half-Life Dedicated Server Update Tool that is already running.

Once Half-Life Dedicated Server Update Tool Setup has completed, you can safely restart the tool.

Installation will now exit.

It's really annoying, please help!

34. Post #34

August 2008
    3 Posts
    how fo I set rcon?

35. Post #35

September 2008
    1 Posts
    my multy player sever saed that steam not runing

36. Post #36
    March 2009
    5 Posts
    I have everything ready, and I'm sure that I did it all right. Now how exactly do I open up my Garry's Mod server?

37. Post #37

March 2007
    12 Posts
    i found this tutorial very very messy and to tucked into a corner and not as well explained as i would have wanted it didnt help me at all.

would have wanted it more in detail and a little more air btw the lines but yea what can u do

38. Post #38
    March 2009
    14 Posts
    Great tutorial!
    But still a problem. My server doesnt show up on Internet, even though it is set to Internet =P.
    could it be because im using Garrys Mod 11 or is that okay?
    Thanks! =)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    8,442 Posts
    -im a dumbass-

40. Post #40
    April 2009
    721 Posts
    I have successfully forwarded these ports: 1200, 27000-27015, 27020-27039
    I have disabled all antivirus software as well as the Windows firewall.
    But my friend is still unable to join. He's tried connecting through friends, typing "connect xx.xxx.x.x" in console and he's tried looking in the server list but he couldn't find it.
    I have tried typing in "sv_lan 0, sv_region 0, heartbeat 1" In console but he still cannot join.