1. Post #1
    Gold Member

July 2006
    388 Posts
    [release]Do not post a thread asking what gun to get, read this instead!

As you can imagine if everybody new who visited this forum created a new thread to ask what gun to get did just that, we'd have very little good material in the forum. Besides, it's your choice what gun you get, we can't decide for you. So, for sake of saving mess, here is the generic advice given out:

If you're new we advise you choose an AEG (Automatic Electric Gun). This is because sniping takes a lot of skill and patience, and experience using camouflage effectively. Sniper rifles (Spring) have less fire-rate than AEG's, but more power and range. As there are many AEG's on the market, there is a lot to choose from. Some are considerably better than others.

If you want a G36 variant or you just want a gun that will be worth the money, we would generally advice a JG/ECHO1 G36C/K. If you specifically do not want a G36, an ECHO1 P90 or AGM M4/M16 would be other good options. All three of these guns are relatively cheap, tough, reliable, ergonomic and pack a good punch. All three of these guns retail at considerably less than $150. If you are not willing to spend at least that much on guns Airsoft is not for you. Do not ask us for the best gun for $20 or less, they are all equally shit, don't cry when we give you our answers. For guns we recommend AirsoftGI (US), RSOV (HK), or EBanned (WorldWide).[/release]
    [release]Do not post a thread asking what kit to get, read this instead!

For the same reason as the above box, here's some guidelines on kit. Assuming you know the environment you are playing in, you need to select a camouflage that will work. If you play in temperate forest Flecktarn, CADPAT, MARPAT, British DPM, Multicam, or US Woodland should work. If you play in arid terrain look for the desert counterpart of whichever camouflage you desire. Which camouflage you choose will be largely dependent on preference and price. For obvious reasons such as we can't see where you're playing we cannot choose your camouflage for you. Local military surplus stores should stock a variety of camouflage and gear for you to look at and compare, and often people in there can give you advice as they know the area. If after looking your local military surplus store you can not find the kit you want, and Google isn't giving you any good results, try BDU.com (US), or EBanned (WorldWide)

For gear such as belt kits and vests unless you're specifically trying to pull off a certain loadout yet again I'd advise you to consult the local surplus store first. Sadly with military gear you have to spend a considerable sum to get an all-round good loadout. For people just starting out I'd advise pre-designed vests, such as the LA Special Forces Vest, the South African Assault Vest or the Hong Kong Police Vest. You can get these vests from most places including on-site, but online I'd suggest looking for vests on Polimil (UK) and AirsoftGI (US).[/release]

The following is ripped from here, and is therefore not something I take credit for.

BY COMING HERE YOU ARE ACCEPTING THAT YOU WILL GET:

-Constructive Criticism that you probably wont listen to anyways, but should if you know what's good for you.
    -Better Ideas from other people that you probably don't want to admit are better.
    -Most likely flamed by BlueSaint at some point for calling something the wrong name or something. ( Clip =/= Magazine )
    -The website you are shopping at is probably shitty. (see below for good sites)

:siren:Good websites you should shop from::siren:
    Code:
    Clothing/Gear/Camo

http://www.hassayampasurplus.com - Based in the US of A, fantastic  costumer service, and great obscure camos.
    www.ebairsoft.com - Based in asia, has some cheap offbeat camo.
    www.flecktarn.co.uk - You'd never guess what they sell. Great selection,  good service by phone.
    www.polimil.co.uk - Have a browse, they have great service and a large  selection of useful bits and bobs.
    www.opsgear.com - This site is the place to get gear for your airsoft  needs. They also have a small selection of guns but this site is  dedicated to gear.
    www.bdu.com - American site primarily for buying combats.
    www.soviet-propaganda.com/ - Good customer support, based in Russia.
    www.skippersmilitarysupply.com/ - US based, Russian gear.
    www.redforces.com/ - Soviet/modern gear.

Airsoft Stores

UK
    www.fire-support.co.uk - Reasonable pricing (for the UK anyway), good  service.
    www.airsoftscotland.co.uk - Complete rip-off, although they get good  deals on Pyros.

USA
    www.airsoftextreme.com - Easy to navigate and has some of the best guns  in stock.
    www.airsplat.com - I'm joking, seriously. Do not buy from here.
    www.airsoftgi.com - AirsoftGI is basically the god of Airsoft stores.  There are almost no complaints from them but apparently there Returns  need some work.
    www.evike.com - Not reliable on shipping dates, but they have a large  selection.

Hong Kong/China Dealers
    www.wgcshop.com - Okay prices, Seem to have to get quotes on the price  before you actually buy.
    www.rsov.com - Brilliant service, postage is steep unless you buy in  bulk, in which case it's the cheapest site around.
    www.redwolfairsoft.com - Another Chinese retailer, good prices, some  rare pieces.
    www.ebaybanned.com - Brilliant prices, good service and delivery. The  horror stories are from people who didn't read the on-screen  instructions when buying.
    Canadian Dealers
    VelocityArms.ca - No opinion, Seems to carry a LOT of things, almost  looks like a canadian AGI.
    CapitalAirsoft.ca - No opinion, A hodgepodge of high-range and low range  AEGs, doesn't have many in stock at a time.
    BuyAirsoft.ca - No opinion, Hard to navigate, OK selection.
    Mach1Airsoft.com - No opinion, A hodgepodge of high to mid-range AEGs,  terrible site design and not many parts to buy.
    :siren:READ THIS IF YOU ARE FROM THE UK AND WANT TO START AIRSOFTING, THERE ARE LAWS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT!:siren:

Code:
     Some good websites to purchase Two-Tone weapons from are:
    www.zerooneairsoft.co.uk - will spray paint any weapon two tone for FREE
    www.actionhobbies.co.uk - has a selection of specially made two tone  weapons
    www.airsoftworld.co.uk - same as above and apparently two tone any  weapon other than GBB for 20 quid
    www.surplusstore.co.uk - has a wide selection of Two-Tone weapons and  various other bits and bobs
    www.fire-support.co.uk - has a small selection of non-UKARA (another  term for Two-Tone) which apparently will also two tone any weapon for 15  quid if asked by email
    Thank You And Goodnight!

:siren:WANT TO KNOW WHAT BARREL LENGTH YOUR GUN IS? CLICK DIS LINK RIGHT HERE:siren:
    http://www.airsoftgiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1881

GOING TO CQB FOR YOUR FIRST TIME? WANT SOME TIPS? CLICK HERE
    http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=867503

HOW LONG DO I CHARGE MY BATTERY? ASK NO MORE!
    http://www.greenbatteries.com/batterycalc.html
    And here's a more in-depth post about batteries
    http://www.facepunch.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=848

and ender gets his Christmas wish! (kinda)

(Thanks to MC Mackers for the UK Info)

(Thanks Marine1st for the original website listing.)

(Thanks to xXEnder007Xx for the post about batteries and for being overly helpful)

(Thanks to StupidEye for the CQB tips)

Now please, airsoft newbies, post what you want commented on here, instead of making a new thread.

Previous thread(s):
    Version 1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Informative x 6Dumb x 3Funny x 1Useful x 1Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,474 Posts
    Too much sucking up to German kit. Good thread, but too much bias.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    August 2007
    17 Posts
    Way too biased.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    555 Posts
    You didn't really talk about eyewear or batteries.

Redwolf = Hong Kong

AEX > ASGI

I didn't think you talked about different companies of AEGs, GBBs, ALICE LC2 gear, and mags. I agree, you are way to biased towards flecktarn and against ACU.

By the way, Multicam is not universal, not by a long shot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,474 Posts
    Please include a well researched section on eyewear.

6. Post #6
    September 2007
    222 Posts
    Your obsession with the word 'Yank' is really annoying.

As the previous posts stated, way too biased.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    83 Posts
    What's this? Fragmatic (the only mod frequenting the airsoft forum) stickied this thread?

8. Post #8
    Gold Member

July 2006
    388 Posts
    Okay, changes for the future;

Section on eye wear.
    Section on batteries.
    Alterations to what I said about German kit if anyone can find anything very cheap of great quality for use as a comparison.

GBBs? This is aimed at newcomers, pistols aren't a necessity. I don't even take mine to games anymore. I didn't talk about alternate companies because JG make great guns for newcomers, they're cheap and effective, there's no point in me going on about CA and TM because they cost a small fortune for the same effectiveness.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    July 2007
    57 Posts
    Your listed guns could be a little more balanced out, info wise. You got the JG G36C with almost twice as much info as the MP5 RIS right below.

Edit:

Adam Whitby posted:
    GBBs? This is aimed at newcomers, pistols aren't a necessity. I don't even take mine to games anymore. I didn't talk about alternate companies because JG make great guns for newcomers, they're cheap and effective, there's no point in me going on about CA and TM because they cost a small fortune for the same effectiveness.
    What about brands like CYMA, A&K, Dboys, and Bell?

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    555 Posts
    Adam Whitby posted:
    I said GBBs, not sidearms. GBBs could be for a beginner too, cheaper than a JG plus mags and batteries.

Just because they're a beginner doesn't mean they don't have a lot of money.

Edit:

Here in the US (Not sure about UK) Woodland BDUs and US LC2 ALICE gear is cheaper than German stuff.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    669 Posts
    This is why we can't have anything nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,474 Posts
    Adam Whitby posted:
    Alterations to my German kit bias if somebody can find something CHEAP and of the same quality to write about alongside.
    This is a stickied megathread, we shouldn't have to. Just because you personally like all German things doesn't mean they are automatically the best things on the market.

I love my PLCE for airsoft because you can customise it to be extactly how you want. Any you can put no pouches at the front to make it easy to get down, but I wouldn't say it is automatically the best on the market.

Same for Flecktarn, it is useless up here. It depends on the terrain you live in.

And I didn't see a section on airsoft safety either. I know I for one treat my airsoft gun almost like a real gun. I know what it is like to be shot by some retard with a 500fps sniper using 0.3g at 1 inch in a safe zone.

Edit:

GBBs are important to write about aswell if you want to cover everything for a newbie.

Once this thread has been perfected by the airsoft community mayeb we could post this in General Discussion with some videos to get some intrest outside of established airsofters.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member

July 2006
    388 Posts
    Xamlllew posted:
    Your listed guns could be a little more balanced out, info wise. You got the JG G36C with almost twice as much info as the MP5 RIS right below.

Edit:

What about brands like CYMA, A&K, Dboys, and Bell?
    Hey, every new person who comes into this forum gets pointed at the JG G36C. It is their best bet. As for other brands if you have any specific ideas post them, you've got a valid point but I'm writing what I'd see as the best bet price-wise, enlighten me if you have other ideas.

Edit:

Marine1st posted:
    I said GBBs, not sidearms. GBBs could be for a beginner too, cheaper than a JG plus mags and batteries.

Just because they're a beginner doesn't mean they don't have a lot of money.

Edit:

Here in the US (Not sure about UK) Woodland BDUs and US LC2 ALICE gear is cheaper than German stuff.
    If they have a lot of money they wouldn't ask us what to get, they'd just buy 2 of everything. :P

And I mentioned woodland BDUs in the camo section.

I'll find out what Alice stuff is and write about that too.

Edit:

SeamanStains posted:
    This is a stickied megathread, we shouldn't have to. Just because you personally like all German things doesn't mean they are automatically the best things on the market.

I love my PLCE for airsoft because you can customise it to be extactly how you want. Any you can put no pouches at the front to make it easy to get down, but I wouldn't say it is automatically the best on the market.

Same for Flecktarn, it is useless up here. It depends on the terrain you live in.

And I didn't see a section on airsoft safety either. I know I for one treat my airsoft gun almost like a real gun. I know what it is like to be shot by some retard with a 500fps sniper using 0.3g at 1 inch in a safe zone.

Edit:

GBBs are important to write about aswell if you want to cover everything for a newbie.

Once this thread has been perfected by the airsoft community mayeb we could post this in General Discussion with some videos to get some intrest outside of established airsofters.
    For the records, I don't like all German stuff. I like Flecktarn because it makes me invisible where I play, and I like the gear that goes with it for exactly the same reasons as you like PLCE. I'll add more the the PLCE thing if you want, but in all honesty as a UK airsofter UK woodland is very, very well suited to Flecktarn in comparison.

I'll definitely write about airsoft safety. I can't believe I didn't think of that.

Okay, fine I'll write about GBBs but I still don't think it's a good idea.

Edit:

Oh and yes this is a stickied megathread. I wrote what I think and if you don't like it tell me what to write instead.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,474 Posts
    To be honest, I don't think it should even point out different types of camo, people will get camo depending on their environment or impression. If you want to go with cheap stuff for new players you can pick up a full set of 95s for 20 and PLCE for about 50 if you look.

It seems odd you wouldn't include GBBs but you would include expensive German kit.

Adam Whitby posted:
    British PLCE.

Weird thing is, I live in Britain and I've never even worn any of this stuff. To me it looks great if you're using a gun with STANAG mags, but it's basically the same price as German and inferior quality, plus it's British DPM which doesn't begin to match Flecktarn for effectiveness in the majority of Britain's woods. However, apparently in some it's better, and fortunately many of the perks of the German gear (such as the Spanish type connectors) are available on the more expensive alternatives.
    That quote in particular. It doesn't tell me what PLCE is, what it consists off, if it is a vest, chest rig or harness. All it says there is that it is stated as fact that German kit is superior. It doesn't even say that it stands for Personal Load Carrying Equipment.

I'd like to suggest you add a secion of FSBE, you can pick a decent set up dirt cheap on ebay and some sites, great starter kit.

Edit:

Here's what I would suggest for a proper megathread.

1. What is airsoft, Where is it played.
    2. Types of airsoft guns (With popular choices in each catagory)
    3. Types of pyro
    4. Assault vests, chest rigs ect. (Popular choices)
    5. Camo (Popular choices and impressions)
    6. Safety
    7. Videos

Everything should have pictures too.
    Something we could post in General Discussion to get some new players.

Oh and less refering to the yanks and yanks, this is an international forum.

Edit:

Oh and it will probably need a little bit that says if you are the uk scroll to the bottom to read about the VCRA or some shit, no one wants to read that unless it applies to them.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member

July 2006
    388 Posts
    Okay, you win. Genuinely, not sarcastically. Next time I have a free couple of hours I'll write what you suggested.

16. Post #16
    May 2007
    6 Posts
    SeamanStains posted:

1. What is airsoft, Where is it played.
    To be honest Stains, I think if people are in this thread and interested in starting airsoft, they'll know what it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,474 Posts
    Yeah, but you would probably have to cover plinking and sites. I bet some people don't even know airsoft sites exist.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    Someone should put up a list of recommended manufacturers and ones that should be avoided.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    555 Posts
    Best: TM, VFC, Inokatsu, Systema, WA

Good: CA, G&G, G&P, KSC, KWA (Clones: A&K, JG, Echo1, Newer Cyma)

Bad: Old cyma and basically anything I didn't list already.

That's all based on reliably and quality of parts, not price.

Edit:

I did it in 2 minutes off the top of my head, I might have missed some.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Dennab
    June 2005
    293 Posts
    Marine1st posted:
    Best: Systema, WA
    Price over quality much? WAs are nice, but they suck at anything but oogling at without a expensive metal kit installed on it. Same with Systema, in the thread about the PTW clone on ArniesAirsoft basically every PTW owner confessed that the gun needed a lot of work to be able to function as well as a TM.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    555 Posts
    I said, price wasn't factored in. And you have to admit, 100% compatibility with real steel parts, quick change cylinder sets, plus they make quite a few high quality parts.

And WA M4? 2 words, Holy shit. Their attention to detail on their pistols is unmatched. Plus they have the magna blowback system and my friend skirmishes with his WA.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Dennab
    June 2005
    293 Posts
    Marine1st posted:
    I said, price wasn't factored in. And you have to admit, 100% compatibility with real steel parts, quick change cylinder sets, plus they make quite a few high quality parts.
    100% compatibility? Never heard that before, I knew they were built to exact scale as the real thing but I just assumed that you could just use things like RIS frontends and pistol grips, same as you can with a regular AEG.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    555 Posts
    PUNCHYOU posted:
    100% compatibility? Never heard that before, I knew they were built to exact scale as the real thing but I just assumed that you could just use things like RIS frontends and pistol grips, same as you can with a regular AEG.
    Well not the lower reciever but Titleist on arnies uses real steel upper receivers, stocks, and front ends.

24. Post #24
    May 2005
    42 Posts
    Adam you forgot the rather important bit that to become UKARA registered you have to be over 18 years of age, plus the whole 2-tone thing which is what most under 18's/newbies use to get around the VCRA.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member

July 2006
    388 Posts
    You have to be over 18 to purchase a 2-tone.

Otherwise, thanks for the heads-up, I'm back from the dead so this is likely to get re-written soon.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,474 Posts
    Add Airsoft World/Scotland to the list. I've had afew dealings with them and they have very good and personal customer service and some good prices.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member

July 2006
    388 Posts
    Done already, I forgot about them but I did it now because that bit I can copy over when I get round to re-writing this as nobody has ripped it apart yet.

28. Post #28
    May 2005
    42 Posts
    Adam Whitby posted:
    You have to be over 18 to purchase a 2-tone.
    But you don't need to be registered hence anyone (parents, friends w/e) can buy them.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    April 2007
    3,407 Posts
    I have Flecktarn, it's extremley useful in Temperate Forests. (For me atleast) I bought it for fun in Madrid in a sunday market place. (Sirplus Stand) It actually worked fucking great the first time I used it, but it does depend on your terrain though. But if you live near a forest type area, I highly recommend it. It will fucking last you too. Well atleast the type I have.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member

July 2006
    388 Posts
    1992-issue BDU's. 32 including shipping to anywhere in the world. Ebaybanned.

31. Post #31
    August 2007
    17 Posts
    the op reads like propaganda

32. Post #32
    Dennab
    August 2006
    296 Posts
    -snip-

33. Post #33
    Dennab
    August 2006
    296 Posts
    Hurry up and add more stuff!

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    175 Posts
    SeamanStains posted:
    Too much sucking up to German kit. Good thread, but too much bias.
    You know the Germans Always Make Good Stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member

July 2006
    388 Posts
    Okay, I'm starting writing a new one from scratch now. I've got the time and there's no reason for me to put it off anymore.

I'll write it bit by bit to the thread so I can have active feedback as I'm working. First thing's first, older and wise, what are bestest gun comes first.

Now I'll start writing within a few minutes, I need to learn how to do them nice wide grey boxes for organisation.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,474 Posts
    Good man. :D
    Good luck with it.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member

July 2006
    388 Posts
    I feel like total shit today. I'll probably write another paragraph or 2. :D

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,474 Posts
    Nice, looking good.
    You should probably mention gas somewhere though.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member

July 2006
    388 Posts
    I'd like to write a section on GBB's and whatnot but they tend to be pricey by comparison and by the time you're far enough into Airsoft to want or require one you tend to have some knowledge of them.

Nevertheless it couldn't hurt to add it to the end, we'll see.

40. Post #40
    May 2005
    42 Posts
    RSOV is a fairly good retail site, comes from the Orient though. Also seeing as you're re-writing this I don't suppose you would be as kind as to include the fact that there's a clear difference between "Post your gun" and "Post your loadout"? Don't know if it belongs in here but surely there's a difference otherwise there wouldn't be two seperate threads.