1. Post #561
    September 2007
    35 Posts
    A HUGE DAY OF CHANGES:

-Sell tool implemented.
    Yea, that thing I said I'd never implement because of how big a pain in the ass it would be...it's done. I found a shortcut and now you can sell most anything. To sell something the following conditions must be met:

1. Must be your team's melon.
    2. Be in range of a friendly outpost or spawn point.
    3. Be fully built and fully healed.
    4.. Be out of range of enemy melons.

Amazingly enough, I also got this to work with the undo commands, though there will be no refund and no warning given if you undo something that does not meet all the requirements. It's safer to use the sell tool. I may end up tweaking the amount you get back (half), or reducing the requirements. Also, anything you sell using the tool will be distributed amongst all teammates.

-Implemented Score.
    Almost all melons killed are now worth points relative to their cost. I will be implementing it as a victory condition later on. Not everything has a score yet so hang on.

-Added console command wmteleport for all players
    There's really no reason to keep teleporting admin only. There's also no reason for admins to use !tp anymore.

-Fixed melon strikes not being targetable near enemy melons
    As worthless as this bug made the melon strike I only got two complaints, leading me to believe that people thought it was a balance change. I'm surprised there was so little outrage.

-Fixed melon strikes spawning unbuilt melons
    This was another oversight that made the melon strikes extra useless

-Allowed bombs to be built around outposts as well as spawnpoints
    Just another reason to expand

-Fixed lasers and some other melons from displaying proper weapon effects after being mind controlled
    This was confusing a lot of people into saying the mind control was entirely broken. The issue was purely graphical.

-Unbuilt melons have had the range and damage of their death explosions reduced
    Unbuilt megabombs will no longer be just as strong as built ones. Death explosions are proportional to how completed they are.

-Outposts need time to complete building and achieve full health.
    Currently, the only difference is in the health of an outpost. I will probably change them later

-Allowed trees and rocks to be saved by the variants saves once more.

-Added some help to some tools.

-Allowed bombs to be duped in mine form

-Optimized some functions.

-Fixed some problems with barracks not spawning new melons after their melons were removed using the remover stool.

I'm going to be focusing next on trying to update some of the map variant/barbarian code to work better with the new score system so players will be rewarded for fighting them. I also have a few new game mechanics I'd like to try.
    All very nice changes. I've noticed on wm_rowleymemorial_v2, harvesters got stuck on props like rocks, but I fix it by placing a balloon on them so they go over the rocks. The snipers should do more damage, be a little slower so fighters have a chance. and everything else MiniMacker said. Being able to see cost on adv dupe would be nice too, but I know it's gotta be hard. Single Player would be awesome too, but I'm sure it'll be awhile for the AI to work since it's never happened on Garry's Mod.

Other than some small fixes listed above, this gamemode is awesome :D

2. Post #562
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    All very nice changes. I've noticed on wm_rowleymemorial_v2, harvesters got stuck on props like rocks, but I fix it by placing a balloon on them so they go over the rocks. The snipers should do more damage, be a little slower so fighters have a chance. and everything else MiniMacker said. Being able to see cost on adv dupe would be nice too, but I know it's gotta be hard. Single Player would be awesome too, but I'm sure it'll be awhile for the AI to work since it's never happened on Garry's Mod.

Other than some small fixes listed above, this gamemode is awesome :D
    The harvesters will never get complex AI since it will lag so don't expect harvesters not to get stuck on complex maps.

You can already see the cost of Adv dupe. Hit reload to see the full cost breakdown. It's been this way for about a week or so. It will also tell you the cost right after you dupe something (though this part wasn't on retro's server).

Snipers will probably not being getting a damage increase due to how overused they are and how powerful a range advantage is.

Singleplayer is coming soon so hold on.

3. Post #563
    September 2007
    35 Posts
    The harvesters will never get complex AI since it will lag so don't expect harvesters not to get stuck on complex maps.

You can already see the cost of Adv dupe. Hit reload to see the full cost breakdown. It's been this way for about a week or so. It will also tell you the cost right after you dupe something (though this part wasn't on retro's server).

Snipers will probably not being getting a damage increase due to how overused they are and how powerful a range advantage is.

Singleplayer is coming soon so hold on.
    Awesome, btw, it was v1 not v2 of that map i said.

and the harvesters went through the rocks the next time i came in.

so scratch 2 things then.

Your right, only snipers were used, that and machine gunners.

and about the adv dupe, i didn't even know that, thanks :D

Also, is there Space build model pack on the WarMelons:RTS server?

4. Post #564
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    There aren't any spacebuild models on the map and the rocks are not even part of the map so the version number is irrelevant.

5. Post #565
    October 2008
    123 Posts
    i have an idea for a melon using the roler mine modle that is deployed.

swarm melon fires a swarm of missles using the skybox model of the headcrab canister for the missiles fires 4-14 missiles depending on heath if welded it will be a sam sight acts like flack canon only does higher damage and doesn't afect hover balls also its missiles seak when dies has multipule explosions. when moving can't attack also when not welded the missiles fire at random can't just target one enemy. flack cannons can hit the missiles and couse them to explode right there and then.

what do you think.

6. Post #566
    June 2007
    10 Posts
    can i ask a question,(i could just look around but i thinks its a bit easier to ask) will this be realesed to the public so people can host when its done, also can you make any estimates on the realese date. thanks.

7. Post #567
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,072 Posts
    Before Lap comes in here, I'll say what he'll say: it's done when it's done, don't ask for a release date.

Anyway, a forward-firing rocket launcher might be cool, sort of like the nebelwerfer. Gets propelled for a second or so, then the rockets have to glide/drop/whatever towards whatever you're aiming at.

Needs to be incredi-heavy, though, so that people can't make a wire turret out of it, that'd make life a bit too easy.

8. Post #568
    June 2007
    10 Posts
    ok thanks for that . just to claify, it is being realeased to the public then?

9. Post #569
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,072 Posts
    Yeah, it will be, just when it's done.

10. Post #570
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    I was planning on having it out like two weeks ago, but the amount of crashing on a test server was distracting me from finishing it up. I was also expecting to get a scenario designer or two on board to help design some singleplayer stuff using the in game editor, but I've had no takers so far. I'll try to go hardcore this weekend. I anticipate that once release hits I'll then spend the next week or so dealing with crashes. I simply can't get to the bottom of some of these crashes without more people testing it.

11. Post #571
    June 2007
    10 Posts
    woo thats nice to know. well ive found at least 1 crash. when you type in something like " how do i ......."
    and it brings up the help menu, if you close the help menu straght away before it loads then it freezes your garrysmod and then close's it. good luck with this mod im looking forward to its realease

12. Post #572
    October 2008
    123 Posts
    2 things that cause me to crash using material tool then duping an item duping the barricks (sorry can't spell)

13. Post #573
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    woo thats nice to know. well ive found at least 1 crash. when you type in something like " how do i ......."
    and it brings up the help menu, if you close the help menu straght away before it loads then it freezes your garrysmod and then close's it. good luck with this mod im looking forward to its realease

Yea, that's a 100% garrysmod problem and not the mod. I'll look into having it not use a browser at all.

2 things that cause me to crash using material tool then duping an item duping the barricks (sorry can't spell)
    Considering that you can't actually use the material tool, this isn't an issue.

14. Post #574
    October 2008
    123 Posts
    actuly you can or i can for some reason.

15. Post #575
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    actuly you can or i can for some reason.
    Is this on Retro's server or is it the addon version? If it's the addon, that's because it's months and months old.

16. Post #576
    October 2008
    123 Posts
    server i have found out no matter what you can't block material tool and the server is having problems it says map no match when i have played the map 3 times already wm_castle and that was earlyer today . color tool dosen't wrk you can block that.

17. Post #577
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    server i have found out no matter what you can't block material tool and the server is having problems it says map no match when i have played the map 3 times already wm_castle and that was earlyer today . color tool dosen't wrk you can block that.
    I can easily block the materials tool as it's already been blocked for ages already.

Retros server has quite a lot of problems right now. It seems to be getting worse as time goes on. No idea who else he gave rights to change the server.

18. Post #578
    October 2007
    155 Posts
    I can easily block the materials tool as it's already been blocked for ages already.

Retros server has quite a lot of problems right now. It seems to be getting worse as time goes on. No idea who else he gave rights to change the server.
    He gave me rights to edit files, but wouldn't give me RCon. I can't find my bloodly password though. Best bet is to just get another server untell he returns. His internet was shut off because he doesn't have enough money to pay it.

Yes and I can say that because retro is my butt buddy.

19. Post #579
    November 2007
    18 Posts
    Currently The Colonel can start and stop the server.
    Lap has full access to everything.
    Soren can manage server files.

This is how it's been since day one, with the exception to Colonel who was added a bit later.

20. Post #580
    October 2007
    155 Posts
    Currently The Colonel can start and stop the server.
    Lap has full access to everything.
    Soren can manage server files.

This is how it's been since day one, with the exception to Colonel who was added a bit later.
    I've asked you seven times for you to resend my bloodly password, but you won't do it. Halp.

21. Post #581
    October 2008
    123 Posts
    i was just on the server a little bit ago material tool works i made snipers invisable

22. Post #582
    February 2006
    11 Posts
    How come on some maps on Retro's server, it says that our map differs from the server?

23. Post #583
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    No idea, but you might want to just delete your map commando. Retro's server is pretty much going to need a full code refresh since all sorts of bad stuff is going on there. I'm not seeing any of the same problems on my test server.

Good news is that although there hasn't been an update to retros server in some time I've been very busy making improvements for the public release.

This includes:

-The most comprehensive and best in game help system in all of GMod (though I might take out pop up tips, we'll see).

-Variants now use unique identifiers instead of numbers.

-Each map can have an infinite number of variants instead of just twenty.

-Players can now view all the server's maps and all the variants for each map.

-Variants are now embedded with a name, longer map description, and author, in addition to their unique identifiers.

-Variant creation further simplified.

-Allowed victory conditions to be set in variants.

-Scoreboard widened and now shows the unique ID of the current variant.

-King of the Hill victory condition added.

-Fixed a bug calculating melon health for fighters and light fighters.

-Fix for the client crash on opening browsers.

Still got a lot to do, but it's looking way more user friendly now.

24. Post #584
    April 2008
    175 Posts
    Good news is that although there hasn't been an update to retros server in some time I've been very busy making improvements for the public release.
    Just the sound of it makes me more excited!

25. Post #585
    October 2008
    123 Posts
    I had to post this this is my melon carrier (don't know how to post pics)

my carrier
    http://spowell.org/uploads/contraption/752843199.jpg

i won but lost my carier at same time i build it every game attempting to dup it i crash don't know why.
    http://spowell.org/uploads/contraption/1862626178.jpg

it has a flack cannon on top so light air is usless and battle field comand on top and 3 heavy barrackess and alot of medics. i have to meching gunners on front to control it and 2 in back for defence the lazzers just for looks. :) what do you think of it.

26. Post #586
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    Sounds like an expensive and heavy contraption. What were the hoverballs set to?

27. Post #587
    October 2008
    123 Posts
    strength 1 air resistance 1
    I counted the medics on my othere pics 8 on sides 2 in front 3 on top the ones on side are to heal the fighters when fly by in a battle works for small battles but in big ones the medics are gone first so i lose alot of fighters. also its very slow so who ever i attack with it get alot of time to make defences. i also found out this thing is a good distraction i attack with it and other people try and do heavaly damage it after every battle i have to do repares aka replace half the medics and some times a heavy barracks but it weakons them and an ally or truced player can take them out. also the heavy barracks follow range is 600.
    p.s. it is expenceve 2x the spawn point pluse for every fighter i don't know the exact amount but it has 1 super weapon wich some times i don't place for cost reasons.

edit

would it be ok if i use matterial tool to hide the medics (you can use it but when you do is says can't use but the material is changed any way at least it does for me.)

carrier front veiw same game as others i crashed right after this rejoined and it has 12 more melons flying around it see first link.
    http://spowell.org/uploads/contraption/309413354.jpg

28. Post #588
    October 2008
    123 Posts
    just found this in my files on my removable drive
    http://spowell.org/uploads/artistic/1017379397.jpg

its a fighter tree!

29. Post #589
    May 2007
    39 Posts
    is any server with this gamemode online?

30. Post #590
    April 2008
    175 Posts
    Yes! Ip is 69.162.79.108:27015

31. Post #591
    May 2007
    39 Posts
    nice I'll test it.

Edit: I can't find the server :(

32. Post #592
    September 2008
    327 Posts
    Hi lap, long time no see
    What happened to your server? I preferred your server to Retroactive's. Last time I visited his server it was filled to the seams with self-centered 'WORSHIP RETRO HE IS GOD' crap in the Motd.

33. Post #593
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    I'll probably throw my server back up on release. This is mainly so I can see any bugs first hand, but if it's popular enough I'll keep it up. Retro's server is currently in a state of limbo, with stuff being broken by GMOD updates and I not having time to keep running back and fixing them. This should no longer ever happen once after release due to the way I have files setup in the new version.

This new version is almost like the jump from addon to gamemode. There are so many improvements and changes that I have to roll them out in one big package. This creates a sad little lull, but it'll make the release come faster.

Surprisingly, what will make the release come faster are screenshots. I need lots of these for the new manual and making them are time consuming. It would help if you try to get screenshots that are relevant to a certain concept, strategy, or single unit, but full battle screenshots are appreciated as well.

I'll be bunkered down with some other work today, but I'll be back working WarMelons on Monday.

As a little teaser, I'd like to let everyone know that I've added a survival/tower defense type mode that can be played either alone or with friends against AI. High scores are kept as well. The best thing is that I think it's a mode that both competitive and casual players will find amusing.

34. Post #594
    October 2008
    123 Posts
    i can't find the server i had to reload my comp and is the server down only one i found is pass protected

35. Post #595
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,995 Posts
    The server isn't up any more, it went down long ago.

36. Post #596
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    i can't find the server i had to reload my comp and is the server down only one i found is pass protected
    A password protected server means I'm hard at work on the release version. The other server is kinda broken due to the constant GMOD updates and some other things that I've put off fixing in order to push the release. {Actually I've been informed tonight that the server is offline for the time being}.

Since last update I've:

-Found a method to majorly reduce bandwidth and lag

-Added two new gamemodes

-Added a Bounty system.

-Increased new-user friendliness by leaps and bounds.

-Added a new type of map feature similar to a capturable outpost.

-Tons of GUI improvements.

-Fix some bugs.

-Add team captains and other functions to prevent lame team jumpers and saboteurs.

I've got some other stuff prepared for release, but I'll keep that secret.

37. Post #597
    November 2007
    115 Posts
    Can we get some pictures on the new GUI and stuff? This sounds promising and might even get me back into it.

38. Post #598
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    I can't access my computer at the moment, but I can say that the GUI elements are similar to the GUI menus I had previously made only there are tons more of them for essentially every option. I've also got the in game help functioning similar to the Civlopedia of Civilization type games.

The new HUD optimizations mean that your chat window will no longer be clogged up constantly with purchases and minor notifications. Most common notifications appear as floating text that slowly disappears.

It's kind of hard to show screenshots of the new gamemodes or some of the other new features as they are really gameplay improvements and optimizations.

39. Post #599
    April 2008
    175 Posts
    Sounds exciting!

40. Post #600
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    I also neglected mentioning that I'll be putting back up my server in a few days or so to do the last pre-release touch ups and bug fixing. I'll let you guys know when it's up.