1. Post #681
    October 2008
    123 Posts
    lol valve time valve is never on time they are usaly realy late expect it 2 months after april 12

2. Post #682
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,816 Posts
    lol valve time valve is never on time they are usaly realy late expect it 2 months after april 12
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time

3. Post #683
    May 2007
    39 Posts
    The megabomb doesn't explode if it get destroyed :( unless it's one of the lastest updates.

4. Post #684
    December 2008
    101 Posts
    hmm wait 18 days. i die before that D:

5. Post #685
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,056 Posts
    Whatever happened to taking player contraptions and turning them into units? I'm pretty sure you said something like that might happen.

6. Post #686
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    The megabomb doesn't explode if it get destroyed :( unless it's one of the lastest updates.
    I just blew up a megabomb with a bunch of lasers and everything died. This hasn't changed in forever.

Megabombs blow up with power proportional to how far they are done building. This hasn't changed in forever either. Remember I currently have no super cool explosion effect so you might have a hard time noticing how powerful the range is, but I'll add one soon enough.

I am investigating a reported bug where objects of any type that are being built cannot die under any circumstances. I haven't been able to replicate it, but this may be the problem.

As for the release date I'll be working on that full time for a week and I think I'll just release it then finished or not, otherwise I'll never do it. I can always find more things to improve or add.

Whatever happened to taking player contraptions and turning them into units? I'm pretty sure you said something like that might happen.
    I'm all for taking player contraptions and including their dupe files in the public release as nice example vehicles, but that's it.

I'm going to try to get Malawar's repulsors and maybe some other goodies. The goal is to see a lot less actual flying battleships and more ground and hovertanks.

The second I get ballast tanks done there's going to be a whole lot more naval maps on the server. The new repulsor and ballast tanks should mean we'll start seeing all sorts of fun approaches to water. Hovertanks, amphibious vehicles (both submarine and floating), submarines, battleships, and such. I think I may also add torpedo melons.

7. Post #687
    April 2008
    175 Posts
    Torpedo melons sound awesome!

Make sure they will be able to work in space too.

If you could make them aim towards a target for a couple of seconds then for the rest they go in wichever way they are are going, that would be cool.

8. Post #688
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    I just put up the plans for naval combat and the new naval weaponry on the WM forums so if you have suggestions that's where I'll be discussing that specifically. I also threw some more discussions up there relating to some proposed harvester changes, barracks, and propulsion systems.

Articus has also been very busy making new custom models for us. We'll have a new less buggy spawn point and all custom super weapon models. They currently are low poly, are easily identifiable, and are marvelously campy. It's about time this mod got some good custom models.

9. Post #689
    February 2009
    107 Posts
    Sure is!

10. Post #690

November 2006
    98 Posts
    i dont know why, but that video pisses me off. maybe its because he is constantly bringing up his q menu, and looking at his red tank instead of the battle itself.. gah

11. Post #691
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    i dont know why, but that video pisses me off. maybe its because he is constantly bringing up his q menu, and looking at his red tank instead of the battle itself.. gah
    Feel free to go make a better one.

12. Post #692
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,830 Posts
    At this moment with all the new changes we do need a good video. I am not good at recording so if anyone wants to try and make one, feel free.

13. Post #693
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    93 Posts
    Something wrong with the selection tool, I do like it says, click once to start selection then click again to end selection, but it immediately ends select after the first press. I get maybe 1/8th of a second to drag the sphere, but then even if I catch melons in the sphere when it forces end selection, nothing is selected...

14. Post #694
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    Might want to wait until I implement all the new models before making a new video. I've got a lot of ideas for videos after release I'd like to try, but I don't know if I'll ever get the time.

Selection tool problems eh? I don't know if there's ever been a time without them. I just implemented a fix for most of the double clicking client side prediction shit. So far, no one has reported and problems and it seems to be working much better. Are you holding down fire? You can always use the binds when the SWEP is broken as well. (+wmselect and wmorder)

[release]Update Time

I fixed the terribly slow flying units.
    I changed something in the code for all warmelons that accidentally put them under the same "speed limit" I give to all non flying melons. They are back to their normal selves now.

Ordering melons at water will now make them target the surface instead of underneath.
    Previously, trying to make way points and patrols on the see was nearly impossible.

Force attack is now also force move.
    Holding walk while ordering normally selected a target for you. If no entity is targeted than you will revert to the old WM:RTS trace we're all used to. You will target the seabed if targeting water instead of the water's surface. You can also set waypoints at floating resource nodes using force move. Basically, if the normal order trace doesn't target it, force move will, and vice versa.

Harvesters made much less laggy & more responsive to commands
    Harvesters set to autoharvest will now only go to spawn points, outposts, and resource nodes when they have nothing else to do. This was a main cause of lag. As an added benefit, you can easily move autoharvesting melons out of harms way without switching their stance. They will resume autoharvesting when they are done with your waypoints and orders.

Warmup time restrictions increased
    Melons will no longer be built at all during warmup time.
    [/release]
    Naval improvements are coming next as well as new models for stuff, made by Articus. For those of you who keep bugging me about a to do list I'm going to direct you to my personal to do list (it tends to only grow, not shrink). http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ajjpvfhr6skd_84cdc2f9pp

15. Post #695
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    93 Posts
    Selection tool problems eh? I don't know if there's ever been a time without them. I just implemented a fix for most of the double clicking client side prediction shit. So far, no one has reported and problems and it seems to be working much better. Are you holding down fire? You can always use the binds when the SWEP is broken as well. (+wmselect and wmorder)
    Same problem with using +wmselect, I tap +attack or +wmselect once and it gives less than 1/8th of a second before it exits selection mode. I can only select one melon at a time.

Did you make some changes to a client-side script that is not included in an upload list so my client is not receiving the fix?

16. Post #696
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    Heh, I like the problem with this one. The problem isn't that the SWEP is broken, it's that you read directions too well. The SWEP got changed from being a click weapon to a hold weapon about a week ago. I apparently never changed the help text on it from "DO NOT HOLD" to "HOLD". Just hold it down to make selections. It works fine. I fixed the text.

17. Post #697
    October 2008
    123 Posts
    lap this game fails now because of the price and speed changes you have done some one who starts slow can't do a thing they can't even get a warmaching of the ground now and if some one just places a md and mc on somthing no one can do any thing i don't even reamember why i liked this game now it sucks ass now plain and simple.

18. Post #698
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,830 Posts
    The game is not hard. It is incredibly easy especially to new people. Unfortunately you get extremely stupid users who bark around asking for help when all the information you need is included in the Help Menu that appears when you first start the game.

When I play, I power house. I make the money, I save the money, and I invest the money. Easy and simple. If your one of those idiots who think spawning a large number of the same unit then your fucking dead.

This is not your typical rush game. Do things right and you will win.

Super weapons are there to make sure the game will not last one whole fucking hour. You fucking bore people out of the server with truce this and truce that. I make truces but after 30 minutes in fuck all truces. Free For All.

19. Post #699
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,816 Posts
    lap this game fails now because of the price and speed changes you have done some one who starts slow can't do a thing they can't even get a warmaching of the ground now and if some one just places a md and mc on somthing no one can do any thing i don't even reamember why i liked this game now it sucks ass now plain and simple.
    Good for you, get out.

Edit: Damnit, the first time I see the server since you put it up again, and it's passworded.

20. Post #700
    October 2008
    123 Posts
    The game is not hard. It is incredibly easy especially to new people. Unfortunately you get extremely stupid users who bark around asking for help when all the information you need is included in the Help Menu that appears when you first start the game.

When I play, I power house. I make the money, I save the money, and I invest the money. Easy and simple. If your one of those idiots who think spawning a large number of the same unit then your fucking dead.

This is not your typical rush game. Do things right and you will win.

Super weapons are there to make sure the game will not last one whole fucking hour. You fucking bore people out of the server with truce this and truce that. I make truces but after 30 minutes in fuck all truces. Free For All.
    sorry but my comp is slow enoth to where i get on ond the warm up time just ended so i get rushed right when my base is up

21. Post #701
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    Thanks for the totally unconstructive and vague criticism. It reminds me of a bad breakup letter. How am I suppose to be a better lover/coder with no actual suggestions.

I seriously have no idea exactly which changes you are referring to. I haven't actually changed the speed of almost anything and the only real price change has been increasing hoverball price.

Considering that nothing actually builds, moves, or does anything during warm up time I'm not understanding how you can be at such a disadvantage. A valid suggestion would be "increase the default warm up time". If you're getting rocked, you can play on a noob server when release is out. With one server all the players are there from brand new to 7-month vets. I can't stop them from killing you.

Hate the playas not the game.

Edit: Damnit, the first time I see the server since you put it up again, and it's passworded.
    Uh...the server has been up for about two weeks straight. The passworded server is just the test one for admins. Join the other one.

22. Post #702
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,816 Posts
    You never put the IP up for the second one.

23. Post #703
    January 2008
    20 Posts
    You never put the IP up for the second one.
    probably BECAUSE it is only for admins.

24. Post #704
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,816 Posts
    By second one I mean the non-admin one, replace second with other Mr. Picky.

25. Post #705
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    By second one I mean the non-admin one, replace second with other Mr. Picky.
    You mean the one that is monitored 24/7 with banner ads of it on the first post of this thread AND on the header of the WM:RTS forums? Yea, it's pretty secret. Even more secret considering it's just one port number off the private one. If you found one server it is impossible not to find the other.

26. Post #706
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,816 Posts
    Well I used the one you posted a while back.

27. Post #707
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    [release]Update Time:

Corrected a serious bug with commanding
    This was causing some serious confusion as a runaway trace was making units go to unexpected locations. To solve this I had to use an extra trace. Not an ideal solution, but I'll get to a more efficient method later.

Fixed microwave laser
    The firing animation is finally fixed as well as its damage. It's sound is currently disabled as are many sounds, but that's due to Garry or some recent engine update.

Torpedo launcher implemented
    Currently set at 5000 nrg, they fire a torpedo about every 6 seconds in a narrow cone from itself. The torpedo will align itself properly to the target, but it will not home. Torpedos are relatively easy to dodge, but a single hit can cause serious damage.

Ballast Tanks are dupeable
    I apologize for the poor spawning location the current tool gives. I'll fix it later.

Added three new maps to the rotation
    The brand new wm_island_v2 is an amazing map with both land and naval battles. df_basin is a carry over from Dogfight and currently emphasizes huge vehicular gameplay. I will add a smaller variant for this one later. gm_tropicalwaters is a six island map of purely naval combat.

All harvesters are now natively immune to water
    This may only be temporary. We may have water only harvesters or an amphibious option that costs more later. For now, enjoy the improved harvester.

Order cores are now half price
    A bug of unknown origin has been causing the physics of my test server to different from the identical live server. The live server has order cores seeming almost 10x weaker than normal. I have slashed the prices while I investigate this.

All props are now metal.
    Don't worry about having to use certain types of props for boats, tanks, or whatever. They are all the same now.[/release]

Repulsors, naval tweaks, and some features for larger maps are coming up next.

28. Post #708
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,816 Posts
    We had some fun with the torpedoes yesterday, I was there as -{TRB}- Mr. Tittysprinkles. Anyways, my OCD wouldn't let this go, I noticed a very small text error, when you open the main Wm menu with the F4 key, the title of the derma window is "WM Menu (F3)" even though it's F4, again, I hate OCD, sorry.

29. Post #709
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    [release]Bombs are now free of air resistance and will fall much faster than before.
    They will also fly farther and faster when launched from contraptions. Try out your old siege weapons and see if they are more to your liking now. Bombing is now more effective. Mine health may be raised soon with bomb health decreased to compensate for their faster travel speed.

Lasers received quite the nerf.

Reduced laser damage from 30 to 25
    Increased delay from 2 to 2.5
    Reduced range to 800 from 1200.
    Increased weight from 250 to 300

The range decrease should solve the major problem of laser vehicles destroying everything from out of range of most units.

Bombs and Mega Bombs set to offensive will now explode on contact with anything.

Bombs and Mega Bombs set to berserk will explode immediately.

Mega Bombs start off with hold fire by default.
    No more exploding in base or on transport.

Fixed the typo causing mines to never explode.

Bombs created from factories whose stance is set to defensive will now spawn with hold fire as default.
    This makes them much safer to have lying around waiting to be loaded or fired from something.

Factories and Barracks now have their offspring match their stance as well.
    I don't know why I didn't do this before. I must have forgot and never had this brought to my attention. Anyways, it should help out a lot for people who know how to use it. [/release]

Launchers work fantastic and are pretty much just in alpha testing right now for balancing. I'm waiting on some models to get finished and for me to get some more free time.

30. Post #710
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,816 Posts
    Lap, do you think you'll maybe ever add a round time console command into the final, cause I know that if I put it on my server, I'd want to change the time of the round, 1 hour doesn't seem long enough for me, I just think it would be a cool addition.

31. Post #711
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    Like 90% of all suggestions I get, this suggestion is already implemented. Round time is a server configurable variable and you can add time with a simple concommand. It's also listed in the admin tab.

Anyways, I've been pretty surprised recently. In the past couple of weeks I've had more offers from potential contributers than I've had in the entire eight months or so of this project. WM:RTS must have reached a critical mass of awesome unless there's some publicity I don't know about.

There's currently four more mappers working on maps. Special thanks go out to Terminator, who not only has been working non stop making multiple maps, but currently has the most requested/popular map on the server, wm_island_v2.

In addition to the mappers, a texturer (jeffman) has volunteered his services out of the blue. Bromvlieg has offered his help making lua functions, and a concept artist has been cranking out sketches (I'll post a link to these later).

Probably the most exiting part has been that Articus is blessing us with unique models, which has been something that has been requested since the beginning. They're easy to differentiate, aren't laggy, and have been done in record time. Check out his current work at http://•••••••••com/d9oh52.

These will start appearing in game soon enough as well as some of the more popular requested features. Thanks to everyone who has been letting me bounce ideas off of recently. Monday evening will be the start of another series of new feature releases.

32. Post #712
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,816 Posts
    Will only superweapons and the spawn have custom models? Because alot of people on the server recently have said that regular melons should stay the same, we had like 3 guys come in ranting about it for like 3 games straight.

33. Post #713
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    Will only superweapons and the spawn have custom models? Because alot of people on the server recently have said that regular melons should stay the same, we had like 3 guys come in ranting about it for like 3 games straight.
    Their voices aren't heard or counted unless they post here or on the WM:RTS forums. I can't read through console shit all day.

The order core, plasma cannon, and the striker might have their models changed, but there aren't plans for changing any of the other ones non superwepaon melons I might one day give the cannon or the MG another model to help differentiate the two, but it seems to be working out fine so far.

34. Post #714
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,816 Posts
    I agree with that, the superweapons NEED their own models, becuase right now, it's almost impossible to tell a microwave laser from a mind control, and so on. But I don't think the other melons need their own models.

35. Post #715

October 2007
    7 Posts
    One stuipd question ^^ from me:

I think may others not only me are hate your selct tool andy mybe you have hear it more than ons until now.
    So i ask you can you cahnge it a bit? for example taht the glob taht createdt not move and so have the sime size if the camera stand.

Beacus i hate i make the glob in 0.1 s the glob will go to my view with thw center an becse oaf created point and point look at distance=0 globe size= 0 slect able melons=0

at least sorry for my hard understanding text and the bad spelling of the words and the bad english but i hope you understand me

36. Post #716
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    One stuipd question ^^ from me:

I think may others not only me are hate your selct tool andy mybe you have hear it more than ons until now.
    So i ask you can you cahnge it a bit? for example taht the glob taht createdt not move and so have the sime size if the camera stand.

Beacus i hate i make the glob in 0.1 s the glob will go to my view with thw center an becse oaf created point and point look at distance=0 globe size= 0 slect able melons=0

at least sorry for my hard understanding text and the bad spelling of the words and the bad english but i hope you understand me
    The sphere is created with at the midpoint between where you are looking and where you started. The radius is half the distance between the points. How would or should I change such a fundamental thing to improve it?

37. Post #717
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,816 Posts
    What the fuck? Was that english?

38. Post #718
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    467 Posts
    The sphere is created with at the midpoint between where you are looking and where you started. The radius is half the distance between the points. How would or should I change such a fundamental thing to improve it?
    It seems he's referencing a glitch I noticed in the addon version where the sphere would center itself on the location you were looking at, rather than between the starting and ending location. This wouldn't happen every time I tried, but it would still occur about every other time I tried selecting my troops.

39. Post #719
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    The actual code is pretty much as simple as I explained it. Visual glitches might happen if you are moving it super fast I guess. The sphere is 100% clientside, the actual selection is done based on that sphere's two points.

40. Post #720
    Lap
    December 2006
    523 Posts
    [Release]Radial menus implemented

Stance selection can now use radial menus.

The radial menu will automatically pop up as you hold down reload on the selector gun, provided your not holding any modiifer keys (sprint, walk, use, duck, jump).

To use the radial menus with any key you like simply bind something to "+wmstanceradial" and hold it down. You won't be able to use hotkey combinations to instantly select stances though.

For the l33t among us "wmstanceselect" will still allow stance selection by a combination of hotkeys or by selection of the actual stance. "wmstanceselect 1" would make all units defensive instantly on hitting the key.[/release]
    If you have any thoughts on how I could make the use of the concommands or hotkeys better let me know.

I'm looking forward to hearing any suggestions for more things to use radial menus since they are so user friendly and I can easily pump more out now.