1. Post #1
    June 2008
    565 Posts
    :siren: THIS THREAD TITLE IS NOT RACIST, DON'T MAKE JOKES ABOUT IT :siren:

Here is a thread where we can talk about skins for Team Fortress 2.

Where Can I Get Skins?

www.fpsbanana.com has a lot of great skins for a lot of games.

I'm not a huge fan of skins my self, I do use them on Counter-Strike: Source a lot, though. The only thing I have for tf2 is a skin for all models that gives them a nicer shine in light:

Don't ask why the Flamethrower is missing, I Print Screened it because I didn't feel like converting the tga.

In this thread you can:
    Bash a Skin.

Show off a skin.

Talk about a skin.

And, Praise a Skin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    June 2008
    58 Posts
    Why is the pyro covered in lube?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    July 2007
    4 Posts
    Has anyone skinned the samvich into a baby yet?

4. Post #4
    June 2008
    58 Posts
    Cowaiscool posted:
    Does anyone have a skin of the samvich that turns it into a baby?
    This sounds absolutely amazing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    2,661 Posts
    How hard is it to reskin something, and what are the tools you need to do it? Also, what's the difference between a model and a skin?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,001 Posts
    Now that's an idea..

Edit:

Achilles123 posted:
    How hard is it to reskin something, and what are the tools you need to do it? Also, what's the difference between a model and a skin?
    model = new model (guitar for axe) skin = new texture (golden minigun)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,842 Posts
    Achilles123 posted:
    A model is when you want a baby to replace the Sandvich. A skin is when you make the Sandvich's ham look like something that expired a week ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Malaysia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,881 Posts
    I want someone to make a cookie model so it can replace the sandvich.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,877 Posts
    Cowaiscool posted:
    Has anyone skinned the samvich into a baby yet?
    Holy shit that's the best idea I've ever heard. Someone give this man a nobel prize.

10. Post #10
    May 2007
    32 Posts
    I made one, but it got trashed from FPSB

I can upload it if you want.

11. Post #11
    June 2008
    565 Posts
    Nukey McNuke posted:

Please Do :holy: :excited:

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    268 Posts
    Nukey McNuke posted:

I will have your baby and eat it if you do.

13. Post #13
    May 2005
    131 Posts
    Nukey McNuke posted:

Oh yes, please fucking do so.

14. Post #14

15. Post #15
    May 2005
    131 Posts
    OH MY GOD, FUCK YES!

Thank you, sir.

16. Post #16
    January 2008
    23 Posts
    I don't like skinning TF2 really. I prefer the game the way it is.

Counterstrike Source on the other hand..

17. Post #17
    August 2008
    12 Posts
    AdrianPsy posted:
    I don't like skinning TF2 really. I prefer the game the way it is.
    Agreed.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,161 Posts
    I only have some beta skins. It's hard to find any good skins that don't ruin the feel of the game.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,842 Posts
    Twipsters posted:
    I only have some beta skins. It's hard to find any good skins that don't ruin the feel of the game.
    I usually only use my BLU pickup truck fix and the bloody melee weapons for the Bonesaw and the Fire Axe.

20. Post #20
    January 2008
    111 Posts
    never knew how to install them

21. Post #21
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,881 Posts

Also, fpsbanana is a cry baby.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,938 Posts
    Someone give the heavy a Russian mullet.

:holy:

23. Post #23
    Community Slacker
    July 2005
    8,182 Posts
    I usually have two major mods installed: Beta-Style Mode and Low Violence Mode.

The first is a compilation I made and keep in a single folder that I just copy+paste into the tf folder whenever I feel like having the style. It pretty much takes all the beta-style skins from FPSB and throws them on, which looks pretty kickin' since I'm a huge sucker for content from a game's development stages. My Steam Favorites list consists only of sv_pure 0 servers I've found so that I can also install the weapon mods that give Medic the Nailgun and Syringe, and Spy the Tranquilizer. Looks snazzy and old-style while still being the great, updated game it is. Besides, it actually makes the game make a little bit more sense, because when players gib, all the default gibs are still using details from beta versions of the characters. (lazy, lazy Valve)

Low Violence transforms my game into the German version, which I personally think is cooler than the default version. I got the content from a GCF I swiped off of a torrent, since it was the only way to get the full low violence. The gib packs that people have posted elsewhere do just that: add the funny gibs, not modify the blood effects as well. I honestly prefer the censored blood effects, but this is because of the more recent modifications they made to the censored version. The original made it nearly impossible to determine if your enemy received a bullet impact, because no blood whatsoever appeared anywhere. This made spy-checking harder, so they fixed it up: blood has been replaced with bright yellow-green bits of "stuff" (not quite liquid-shaped sprites) that particle effect out from bullet hits, and surfaces around the shot person get a dark grey "ash" on the wall. The main point is the bright particles, which is actually easier to notice than red blood. More perks of the updated low violence mode include official Valve versions of the bloodless Ubersaw and Axtinguisher, which I prefer over the dorky bloody ones. The bloody ones really don't fit the style, in my opinion.

I've also recently fallen prey to modifying only my weapons, but too many weapon mods make the game just lose its style during combat. I like it if I can make them small and modest, like changing the colors of a few or getting some high-res versions. (90sk's stuff is the work of gods; too bad it causes my game to crash on the high settings I play it on :() Mainly though, since the Heavy update I've just left the game alone for a while. After using lots of skins for so long, the game feels like it has a fresh, new look to it, which is all I'm really looking for when I throw skins on it anyway.

24. Post #24
    Sweet Roll Moderator
    February 2007
    4,322 Posts
    Shugo posted:
    The first is a compilation I made and keep in a single folder that I just copy+paste into the tf folder whenever I feel like having the style. It pretty much takes all the beta-style skins from FPSB and throws them on, which looks pretty kickin' since I'm a huge sucker for content from a game's development stages. My Steam Favorites list consists only of sv_pure 0 servers I've found so that I can also install the weapon mods that give Medic the Nailgun and Syringe, and Spy the Tranquilizer.
    The Tranquilizer on FPSBanana looks :vomit:.

25. Post #25
    March 2008
    21 Posts
    I just love the skull mask pyro skin.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/Gshark/Screens/Source/TF2/arena_lumberyard0004.jpg

26. Post #26

27. Post #27
    October 2007
    39 Posts
    Super Heroes vs. the Naziverse!
    http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/32059
    This is what I use.

28. Post #28
    May 2008
    52 Posts
    I tried screwing around with some VMT files once.

(read: My First Fisher-Price Wallhack)

29. Post #29
    March 2008
    1,205 Posts
    Anyone else use the Redneck shotgun skin?

http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/30591

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    4,980 Posts
    Soviet boxing gloves
    Spiral flaregun

Those skins are the only ones I use, I like how the default skins look.
    I used to use a silenced revolver with sound, but it sounded weird on sv_pure servers, so I removed it.

I would really like that low-violence thing though, care to upload?

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,021 Posts
    Are skins safe to install? Beause I found one that makes the kritzkrieg look good but I don't want it to screw anything up.

32. Post #32
    March 2008
    21 Posts
    Lucinice posted:
    Are skins safe to install? Beause I found one that makes the kritzkrieg look good but I don't want it to screw anything up.
    Yeah, "regular" skins will neither overwrite existing files nor cause problems with VAC. They just won't work on servers which have sv_pure set to 1.

33. Post #33
    June 2008
    565 Posts
    It's a shame, I only go on servers that I have on Favorite, 7 out of 8 of them have sv_pure on.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    655 Posts
    I Didn't make it but: Female Scout http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/39114
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Community Slacker
    July 2005
    8,182 Posts
    Daimao posted:
    The Tranquilizer on FPSBanana looks :vomit:.
    I was hunting through the SDK model viewer for beta stuff and found that tranquilizer, and while he didn't mark it as "beta-style", it appears he skinned it just like the Meet the Team videos, so it's the Spy's beta gun and I think it personally looks cool.

mynames2long posted:
    I would really like that low-violence thing though, care to upload?
    I would, but I don't know if that would be warez or not. Seems there's no problem with all the "funny gibs packs" on FPSB which are basically just copy + pastes, but I don't know if I can post it here. Mine is fixed, too: I found out that the original German version changes the textures from the regular body part gibs to solid white so that you can't see the blood even if a server forces it. I removed those so that sv_pure 2 servers still work. Most sv_pure 1 servers still let you see everything because the texture for the funny gibs is actually inside the regular English GCF. You just see red blood with them as well in that mode mixed with the bright yellow-green stuff.

So, if somebody can confirm if that would be considered "warez" or not, please tell me.

36. Post #36
    June 2008
    565 Posts
    I don't think it would be warez, all they are are just skins.

37. Post #37
    September 2005
    34 Posts
    I'd like to skin my TF2, but I always think of how much money and time they must have spent working on that design.

I have done it to my CSS. I never hear anyone saying 'I like the art direction they took with Counter-Strike.'

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,502 Posts

39. Post #39
    June 2008
    565 Posts
    cornndog posted:
    I never liked that pack, it looks like all they did for aperture was use the existing colors and slap a white logo on them.

40. Post #40
    July 2008
    191 Posts
    Server that I play on is Pure.

So I'm SOL in the the area of anything custom.