1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,735 Posts

Some of you may have seen some of my water-glass texture work. Based on the popularity of this, I've decide to make an entire map from it, a la Bioshock. I know there has been many attempts in the past, but I've got my mind set on finishing this.

First, let's start off with some pictures.

pics from the Pimpage thread

Lord Pirate has also been helping by making some art-deco style brush work:

The Grand Hall from the top of the stairs. It's really not too grand yet (I gotta put more details in).:

Looking up at the stairs...

Side View

Look at that ocean...

Yay for unaligned textures and no smoothing groups!

I've also been working out some map-mechanics. First is the Circus of Values. You can press 3 buttons to get a pepbar, soda, or some chips. You can then press use on them to eat them (om nom nom). I also created a job out of this by making them run out of stock, so someone will have to put a battery or something in a special slot to resupply the vending machine.

I can also make a mechanic from the plasmid system. I'll most likely need someone who is really good in Lua, but if that does not happen I can code it myself. Models as of now are not an issue.

The Machine Gun is also done. I can post pictures of that later.

If you want to help, you can post some ideas for buildings, art, game mechanics, shops, surprises, secrets, textures, or anything else you can think of. I plan on updating this post every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Betas can be arranged later in production.

Also, I know how to use the particle editor pretty well, so expect to see a lot of custom water leaking effects.
    Update: 9/8

I just finished this. Yes, I know the white light is too bright (Fixed!) (I also have HDR compiled and on), but I really am loving that blue neon.

NEW!
    Bathybox Demo!
    Press lever to begin! Wait a few seconds for it to start up.

You need this too.

Put that in your base folder.

My bad, I forgot the skybox.

Compiled with HDR, and I've only tested it with ep2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    January 2008
    215 Posts
    someone already tried this and got very far..I do not remember who..But he also had custom textures and shit.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,735 Posts
    The 10th Day posted:
    someone already tried this and got very far..I do not remember who..But he also had custom textures and shit.
    I'm pretty sure it may have been PLing. I dunno what ever happen to that though.

4. Post #4
    November 2007
    101 Posts
    Awesome.

Green water D:

Can you make a bluish version of the green glass-water?

I would like to have that sexy texture..

5. Post #5
    BmB
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,569 Posts
    The water in Bioshock is actually green, but not this much.

6. Post #6
    November 2007
    101 Posts
    BmB posted:
    The water in Bioshock is actually green, but not this much.

On my 360 it was blue as fuck.

I must have bad eyes?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,735 Posts
    SectioN-8 posted:
    On my 360 it was blue as fuck.

I must have bad eyes?
    You might be color blind? Or your T.V is messed up. Google an image to see.

8. Post #8
    BmB
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,569 Posts
    You probably live in the US, where you have your silly Never The Same Colour standard. Try correcting the tint.

9. Post #9
    June 2008
    78 Posts
    FINISH THIS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #10
    November 2007
    101 Posts
    BmB posted:
    You probably live in the US, where you have your silly Never The Same Colour standard. Try correcting the tint.

I think it was better blue.

Everyone have an agree!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

11. Post #11
    HOLY HELL MINIGUN SNARKS
    September 2007
    3,715 Posts
    Have you got a layout in mind? It needs to flow good and have alot of RP facility's.

12. Post #12
    November 2007
    101 Posts
    I'm hopeful there's going to be a little airlock where you can go into the outside ocean.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,735 Posts
    SectioN-8 posted:
    I'm hopeful there's going to be a little airlock where you can go into the outside ocean.
    Ehhh, that won't be too possible :( BUT I do plan on having little sub-shuttles transporting players around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    November 2007
    101 Posts
    Foda posted:
    Ehhh, that won't be too possible :( BUT I do plan on having little sub-shuttles transporting players around.

You should rip some sounds from the intro of bioshock, that would be a nice little thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    April 2006
    11 Posts
    Maybe you could throw a song or two from bioshock in somewhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    November 2007
    101 Posts
    The cheese posted:

..Little doggy in the window?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    It seems a bit...off.

Too gree, give it a bit of a blue tint. Looks incredible so far, you should tell us how your doing that great water rippling effect. Be sure to add Bubbles (As in spheres of air ;))

18. Post #18
    November 2007
    101 Posts
    .miniman. posted:
    It seems a bit...off.

Too gree, give it a bit of a blue tint. Looks incredible so far, you should tell us how your doing that great water rippling effect. Be sure to add Bubbles (As in spheres of air ;))

I agree with the bubbles, something with smokestack, or a custom particle.

@OP
    Mind if I steal the water tank idea in the first picture? I want to test lighting and sprites with it.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,004 Posts
    Foda posted:
    What makes it not too possible? I know how it could be done. (I think)

The 10th Day posted:
    The map was called rp_rapture by EvilDead19. That was one epic map. To bad it died. :(

Here is a link to the original thread:
    http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/s...ght=rp_rapture

20. Post #20
    November 2007
    101 Posts
    Pelf posted:
    What makes it not too possible? I know how it could be done. (I think)

All it has to be is a water chamber that fills up with water, then unlocks a door, and you can go outside, then a trigger outside the door closes and locks the door, and the chamber stays dry.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,004 Posts
    I'm pretty sure I know how to do that. I'll give it a shot now.

22. Post #22
    May 2008
    10 Posts
    Epic epic epic epic. Foda, not to be a power hungry bastard but would you kindly put in the readme "requested by Soldiér|17th.UK|" :) lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    September 2008
    956 Posts
    I like what you did with the map but i think it would be better if it had some small - mid rooms

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,735 Posts
    The cheese posted:
    Already got'em ripped, and ready to be placed into the map.

SectioN-8 posted:
    I agree with the bubbles, something with smokestack, or a custom particle.

@OP
    Mind if I steal the water tank idea in the first picture? I want to test lighting and sprites with it.
    You mean like this?:

My screenshots don't really show them, but they are there.

SectioN-8 posted:
    All it has to be is a water chamber that fills up with water, then unlocks a door, and you can go outside, then a trigger outside the door closes and locks the door, and the chamber stays dry.
    I would then have to limit how far a player could swim because if it goes up to the glass, then water would be showing at the side (something that makes Hl2 go boom).

Dutchman17 posted:
    Epic epic epic epic. Foda, not to be a power hungry bastard but would you kindly put in the readme "requested by Soldiér|17th.UK|" :) lol
    Believe it or not, I had already started it before I saw the request thread. But I'm a nice guy so I'll throw it in.

Zocom posted:
    I like what you did with the map but i think it would be better if it had some small - mid rooms
    Bioshock used mid to small rooms throughout to give players alternative routes to main places. I'm planning to do the same. Shops and bedrooms will be mid to small, and I'm planning on making players travel through smaller, flooded, leaking, hallways to build the "underwater lol" theme.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    November 2007
    101 Posts
    Foda posted:
    You mean like this?:

My screenshots don't really show them, but they are there.
    Yep, that fits in great.

I hope I get a new computer before this is released. I cannot imagine running this unless It was in ep2 on medium :(

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,478 Posts
    This is one of the best rp maps I've seen.

If you're voted to cop, you should get a Big Daddy player model.
    Mayor makes you Andrew Ryan.
    Mob boss: Atlas.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    607 Posts
    Wow that looks amazing I wanna make a bioshock roleplay server now :excited: get this finished please for the love of....BIOSHOCK!

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    379 Posts
    Water doesn't refract like that through glass windows.

29. Post #29
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    Import that Big Daddy ragdoll that was posted somewhere awhile ago and have it's body laying in the water. Like that area in Bioshock where you can see a Big Daddy walking around but in another tank he's dead.

Also, gotta have a huge whale.

30. Post #30
    November 2007
    101 Posts
    .miniman. posted:
    Import that Big Daddy ragdoll that was posted somewhere awhile ago and have it's body laying in the water. Like that area in Bioshock where you can see a Big Daddy walking around but in another tank he's dead.

Also, gotta have a huge whale.

That after 20 minutes crashes into the wall and then slowly floods the map.

31. Post #31
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    SectioN-8 posted:
    That after 20 minutes crashes into the wall and then slowly floods the map.
    Heh, that'd be cool but actually animating the Big Daddy would be quite a feat.

Oh, and you gotta have a part of the map with the lava tubes you see on the Ryan Indutries area.

32. Post #32
    Ex-Least Respected Usergroup
    June 2007
    7,114 Posts
    Finish this, would you kindly. Looks nice but the water looks to green.

33. Post #33
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    icemaz posted:
    Finish this, would you kindly. Looks nice but the water looks to green.
    Would you kindly listen to this man.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,150 Posts
    .miniman. posted:
    Would you kindly listen to this man.

Would you kindly give me your moneys?

35. Post #35
    BmB
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,569 Posts
    They are not "songs". They are "cues" or "tracks".

36. Post #36
    April 2008
    220 Posts
    Foda posted:
    Also, I know how to use the particle editor pretty well, so expect to see a lot of custom water leaking effects.
    Feel free to tell us how you managed to import these into GMod.

37. Post #37
    There's only one person in this whole world like you. And people can like you exactly as you are.
    March 2008
    4,528 Posts
    Under the sea...

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,150 Posts
    Somewhere beyond the sea...

39. Post #39
    August 2007
    188 Posts
    killer89 posted:
    Somewhere beyond the sea...
    somewhere waiting for me

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,732 Posts
    My lover stands on golden sands and watches the ships go sailing.