1. Post #41
    May 2008
    10 Posts
    Upgrade123 posted:
    This is one of the best rp maps I've seen.

If you're voted to cop, you should get a Big Daddy player model.
    Mayor makes you Andrew Ryan.
    Mob boss: Atlas.

That would be great haha, alot of lua and junk though

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,794 Posts
    By the way: Could you make a tutorial about the windows (water) or telling me how to do it?

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    592 Posts
    I didn't expect to have anything I had made used in your map Foda, I was just trying to get my head around some art-deco architecture ;). You are more than welcome to use them if you want though.

Also I made a nice low res texture out of a picture of some art deco wallpaper I found.

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,739 Posts
    Lord Pirate posted:
    I didn't expect to have anything I had made used in your map Foda, I was just trying to get my head around some art-deco architecture ;). You are more than welcome to use them if you want though.

Oh, alright. Sorry about that.

OlivierHamel posted:
    Feel free to tell us how you managed to import these into GMod.
    Yea, about that. I just added them into existing particle files, and put them into Gmod's particle folder.

Also: is this a better blue?

I just finished this. Yes, I know the white light is too bright (I also have HDR compiled and on), but I really am loving that blue neon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,794 Posts
    lol Neon looks awesome :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    Unbound Moderator
    January 2007
    1,299 Posts
    Ray551 posted:
    By the way: Could you make a tutorial about the windows (water) or telling me how to do it?
    Refracting Textures
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

7. Post #47
    May 2008
    10 Posts
    Foda posted:

Yea, about that. I just added them into existing particle files, and put them into Gmod's particle folder.

I just finished this. Yes, I know the white light is too bright (I also have HDR compiled and on), but I really am loving that blue neon.

You ,my friend, are my favorite person on facepunch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    Foda posted:

Someone hand me a cigarette because I just came.

Could use a very light tint of green but it's fine as it is. You better finish it, I will pound your email inbox until you do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    TGX
    July 2008
    101 Posts
    Music for thread browsing:

Also, I absolutely love that door with the neon above it. I wish I was better at mapping Art Deco, I love that style.

Edit:

Foda posted:

pics from the Pimpage thread
    Foda chose to build... Rapture.

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,478 Posts
    TGX posted:
    Foda chose to build... Rapture.
    Veloci-Rapture, my friend.

Raptor Jesus went extinct for your sins.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,794 Posts
    I love all this shit with underwater cities and so on in video games...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #52
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    Another thing you should do is remake the beggining with the speech by Andrew Ryan. Have it in a theater for people to watch. Maybe have a starting room, with the theater as a kind of intro wit images of the map and then they pile into a sub and head off to rapture.

13. Post #53
    Modelrator
    February 2005
    4,157 Posts
    Too blue in the last shots, I think it should be more turquoise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,794 Posts
    Could you give me the window texture? I tried to make an own one but I failed :(

15. Post #55
    December 2006
    20 Posts
    It seems like with the pillars that you used a lot of brush work you should try and get a modeler to model pillars and things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #56
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,150 Posts
    Too much brushwork = greetings "too many verts for dynamic vertex buffer" - crash.

i know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #57
    April 2008
    220 Posts
    How are you going to get the particle systems into GM? You can't use a particle manifest.

18. Post #58
    There's only one person in this whole world like you. And people can like you exactly as you are.
    March 2008
    4,552 Posts
    .miniman. posted:
    Another thing you should do is remake the beggining with the speech by Andrew Ryan. Have it in a theater for people to watch. Maybe have a starting room, with the theater as a kind of intro wit images of the map and then they pile into a sub and head off to rapture.
    That would probably need like 65mb of sound and textures.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,739 Posts
    PLing posted:
    Too blue in the last shots, I think it should be more turquoise.
    You think so? I've been experimenting around with colors. I'll try that.
    OlivierHamel posted:
    How are you going to get the particle systems into GM? You can't use a particle manifest.
    Actually, I dunno. To be honest, I have not tried the map in Gmod. I hope garry fixes this problem.
    BlackForce posted:
    It seems like with the pillars that you used a lot of brush work you should try and get a modeler to model pillars and things.
    That's a good idea. I don't really want to pull the whole "lol give me models". It would be nice if someone could rip the models from the game though.
    tepholman posted:
    That would probably need like 65mb of sound and textures.
    I've been thinking of how to get around the large filesize. I don't want to repeat a lot of textures, and I want different areas to be unique color-wise and sound-wise.

Also: I've been working a bit on a bar. There is a few lighting errors, but I'll fix them when I polish the map.

I plan on putting art-deco molding on the walls too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,655 Posts
    They looks really good those screenies do :D, keep it up, and could you tell me how you made such sexy neons? I want something like that for a custom texture I'm making (PM me the info preferably, I hate hunting down threads :()

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,794 Posts
    I've got a problem with the texture you sent me:

I put everything in materials\nature

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,150 Posts
    Have you checked the .vmf?
    there might be a wrong directory added.

I've done that mistake couple of times.

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,739 Posts
    Ray551 posted:
    I've got a problem with the texture you sent me:

*picture*

I put everything in materials\nature
    -snip-

24. Post #64
    April 2008
    220 Posts
    Foda posted:
    :argh: Sneaky bastard! I should have thought of that!

(User was banned for this post (Reason: Flaming) [event] 110258 [/event])
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #65
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    The bar looks a bit small. Like it could barely fit two people.

26. Post #66
    February 2007
    84 Posts
    Go faster. I wanna play around testing my models in this. See how they look.
    Beta test? Me? No. I wait til this whole thing comes out.

27. Post #67
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    cobaltbloo posted:
    Go faster. I wanna play around testing my models in this. See how they look.
    Beta test? Me? No. I wait til this whole thing comes out.
    Speaking of which.

Depending on the size of this thing you may want to enlis a modeler to help you if you're making those pillars out of brushes.

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,577 Posts
    can i beta test this?
    and to make a model of the pillar, import a vmf of just a pillar into xsi mod tool, and then compile the model

29. Post #69
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,739 Posts
    laptopman posted:
    can i beta test this?
    and to make a model of the pillar, import a vmf of just a pillar into xsi mod tool, and then compile the model
    Beta testing will most likely be public, as I'll need to test map mechanics. I have 3DS Max, so I'll try that tomorrow.

30. Post #70
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    Another thing, try to get the machines where you buy things such as ammo, adam garden and gene bank. Don't have to be useable, it would just be awesome to have.

31. Post #71
    November 2007
    101 Posts
    If you make that adam bank useable, make some LUA scripts with lightning bolts and shit.

32. Post #72
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    SectioN-8 posted:
    If you make that adam bank useable, make some LUA scripts with lightning bolts and shit.
    Le't snot get ahead of ourselves now. That'd require an all new kind of gamemode made in LUA and could never be imported into a map. Perhaps make a custom weapon that you can pick up at said stations but it'd be a bitch to roleplay with everyone zapping and lighting your ass on fire.

33. Post #73
    November 2007
    101 Posts
    .miniman. posted:
    Le't snot get ahead of ourselves now. That'd require an all new kind of gamemode made in LUA and could never be imported into a map. Perhaps make a custom weapon that you can pick up at said stations but it'd be a bitch to roleplay with everyone zapping and lighting your ass on fire.

And that.

34. Post #74
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    Better enlist some LUA coders if you're gonna do that. For now just focus on completing the map.

35. Post #75
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,739 Posts
    .miniman. posted:
    Another thing, try to get the machines where you buy things such as ammo, adam garden and gene bank. Don't have to be useable, it would just be awesome to have.
    I've gotten an offer to get the models of said objects if I get far enough mapping. For now, I've actually got the brush-work done for the Circus of Values (sadly, no textures yet). And it's usable. To stop the machine from being spammed, it runs out of supples, and someone will need to put in a battery to refill it. This creates a job too.
    .miniman. posted:
    Better enlist some LUA coders if you're gonna do that. For now just focus on completing the map.
    Believe it or not, I'm pretty good with coding Lua (search Amraam on garrysmod.org). I have an Electro-Bolt and the Incinerate! already made. I had actually made them before I started this map
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #76
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    Oh well then you're ahead of the game.

Would be cool to create a gamemode from this. It'd be like a mix of DM and RP.

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,794 Posts
    Your'e a Bioshock fan huh? :D

38. Post #78
    May 2008
    10 Posts
    I am THE bioshock fan, I requested this map and the characters for months haha.

39. Post #79
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    I'm a fan. I loved it to no end.

Which is why I'll be bumping this thread as much as possible and if he slacks off I'll make him keep going and then as for the vmf. THIS WILL BE FINISHED.

40. Post #80
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,197 Posts
    Possibility of releasing the texture?

I'd so love to make an RP map with it, obviously not based off of Bioshock, but still awesome.