1. Post #201
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    15,310 Posts
    Mister B posted:
    A: you could make a particle effect of random floating debris and bubbles.

and B: :holy:COMPILE THAT FREAKING DEMO!! YOUR PUBLIC IS WAITING!!:holy:

Edit:

YES!! We save it to maps?
    Save to your models folder.

2. Post #202
    September 2008
    10 Posts
    I find it simply complex.

3. Post #203
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    1,118 Posts
    If you ever go to an aquarium with an underground viewing area, you'll see that the water doesn't get all wavy like that. Instead, what you see is caustics (the peaks and valleys of light as they cast through the water's surface and hit the bottom), and a sort of flattening, like it messes with your depth perception. Also, volumetric fog would help a lot, but unfortunately source doesn't support it. You could, however, mimic it by making textures with a built in gradient.

Here's an image to show you.
    http://www.teachenglishinasia.net/fi...a-aquarium.jpg

I don't know if that helps at all, but that's all I can think of for making it look underwater.

4. Post #204
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,652 Posts
    Quick someone start making plasmid sweps!

5. Post #205
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,702 Posts
    Lord Ivan posted:

Here's an image to show you.
    http://www.teachenglishinasia.net/fi...a-aquarium.jpg

I don't know if that helps at all, but that's all I can think of for making it look underwater.
    Image won't load, but I think i know what your talking about. No way source could do it.

6. Post #206
    July 2007
    589 Posts
    That demo was amazing man! Totally drop dead gorgeous the way you did everything! The vita chambers were even amazing! Hat's off to you good sir...

7. Post #207
    July 2006
    41 Posts
    Foda posted:
    Right, but I can't show the illusion of being underwater anyway else. Unless you have a better idea?

Compiling Demo now.

Edit: Uploading... the file is like 30mb. 70% of which is a sound file.

Edit 2x: Done! Press lever to begin. Wait a few seconds for it to start up.

You need this too.

Put that in your base folder. Compiled with HDR, and I've only tested it with ep2.
    You can use particle effects, some fancy lighting, and fog to simulate an underwater effect.

8. Post #208
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,726 Posts
    Mister B posted:
    Okay, there were definitely some bugs. On the water textures, there's a missing skybox effect, that is to say things that pass over it stay for a couple of seconds, and looked nothing like the pictures. Seconly, there was a big error in the back of the bathybox. I couldn't find the lever so I assumed this was it. Thirdly you can fall down into the horrible black abyss if you fall correctly down the bathybox shaft. Fourthly the vita-chamber door wouldn't openexept for the initial spawn. Fithly it didn't do the trip twice. When i pulled the error, the bathybox door closed, but the gate never did. That about sums it up.sixthly, pulling the error didn't really work, and when I steped out of the bathybox, the doors close.Seventhly, upon arrival to point b, the door opened a little too early.

AND NOW FOR THE GOOD THINGS!!

The music was clever, the brushwork facinating, the trip from point A to B immersive.

AND NOW FOR THE QUESTEONS!!

How did you get the underwater sound when in the bathybox?
    why were the backs of the water-glass checkered?
    why didn't I see the lever? How did you get Somewhere Beyond The Sea? That's about it!
    Ha, I knew I forgot something: The Skybox!. For now, it's just a one way trip. The lever is an Ep2 model, so you should try to play it in Ep2 for now.The music is ripped directly from Bioshock. Here be the skybox:

I've gotta add player-clips so sneeky people can't fall to their doom. The bathybox being two-way is 1/2 done. In-fact, all I gotta do is add a unlock for the button.

9. Post #209
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,288 Posts
    Oh Wow. That'll fix it :) We put it into the matirials folder, right?

10. Post #210
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,726 Posts
    Mister B posted:
    Oh Wow. That'll fix it :) We put it into the matirials folder, right?
    Yep!

11. Post #211
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,748 Posts
    Where do i put the particles?

I can't find this "base" folder you speak of.

12. Post #212
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    Where do I put the particles?
    And the skybox just in case I can't figure that out.

13. Post #213
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2008
    3,641 Posts
    It would be cool if you released 2 versions, the normal one you are making, and one with only dev textures. Except underwater dirt, mind you. It would be really awesome.

I'm not insisting on it though. It would just be a lil bonus.

14. Post #214
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,726 Posts
    .miniman. posted:
    Where do I put the particles?
    And the skybox just in case I can't figure that out.
    The particles folder goes into your /ep2 folder (the one with maps, materials etc.). The skybox goes into the same folder.

So everything goes into:
    "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\your_steam_name\half-life 2 episode two\ep2"

15. Post #215
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,288 Posts
    A: I thought this was a Gmod map! I put it in there...

B: Foda, please awnser these questeons : How did you get the underwater sound when in the bathybox?
    why didn't I see the lever? How did you get Somewhere Beyond The Sea?

16. Post #216
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,726 Posts
    Mister B posted:
    A: I thought this was a Gmod map! I put it in there...

B: Foda, please awnser these questeons : How did you get the underwater sound when in the bathybox?
    why didn't I see the lever? How did you get Somewhere Beyond The Sea?
    The lever is an Ep2 model, so you should try to play it in Ep2 for now.The music is ripped directly from Bioshock with a program called Ekszbox-ABS. It let me snatch the music from Bioshock. Dunno why the back was checkered.

17. Post #217
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    Holy shit that was awesome! Just a few things, like the glass tezture clips with the dev texture i one corner from the inside. No big deal. But when going under I could hardly see shit without my flashlight, maybe add a bit more light. Add some lights that shine over the numbers, that'd help. And maybe make it a tad less green. Also, I pressed E right on the lever and it didn't do anything. Cover the entire lever area in ti so I don't hae to guess where it is.

Other than that, it's amazing! You better finish this!

Edit:

Oh, also maybe make it move faster and putting the particles and stuff right into my ep2 folder didn't make it work. And when I say it was dark I meant only in the sub as it was going down loking outside. And you got a problem with your brushes, you can walk in just fine but to get out you gotta jump crouch.

18. Post #218
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,288 Posts
    A: how do you play custom maps in episode 2?

B: but how did you get the underwater sound when you were in the bathybox?

C: Linkage to download Ekszbox-ABS?

19. Post #219
    Unbound Moderator
    January 2007
    1,299 Posts
    1. Enter into the console:
    Code:
    map <mapname>
    3. [Link]

20. Post #220
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,288 Posts
    Terrenteller posted:
    1. Enter into the console:
    Code:
    map <mapname>
    3. [Link]
    Crap, only for X-box. Oh, well. thanks for A and C, but still need B

21. Post #221
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    Huh, the vita chamber isn't perfect. I got stuck in it, the doors were stick half-way open and I had to noclip out. Maybe make it bigger and have some player clips to make it like a solid box to eliminate any chance of getting stuck.

22. Post #222
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,726 Posts
    .miniman. posted:
    Holy shit that was awesome! Just a few things, like the glass tezture clips with the dev texture i one corner from the inside. No big deal. But when going under I could hardly see shit without my flashlight, maybe add a bit more light. Add some lights that shine over the numbers, that'd help. And maybe make it a tad less green. Also, I pressed E right on the lever and it didn't do anything. Cover the entire lever area in ti so I don't hae to guess where it is.

Other than that, it's amazing! You better finish this!

Edit:

Oh, also maybe make it move faster and putting the particles and stuff right into my ep2 folder didn't make it work. And when I say it was dark I meant only in the sub as it was going down loking outside. And you got a problem with your brushes, you can walk in just fine but to get out you gotta jump crouch.
    Make sure you have the particles folder in your base folder. I can fix the player having to crouch-jump out. I also didn't know if to add lights, or to keep it dark. I'll put lights in if you think it will look better.

Mister B posted:
    Crap, only for X-box. Oh, well. thanks for A and C, but still need B
    You've got it wrong. It'll work fine. Don't worry. Regarding B, I downloaded a underwater sound file, and made my func_train's move sound that file.

.miniman. posted:
    Huh, the vita chamber isn't perfect. I got stuck in it, the doors were stick half-way open and I had to noclip out. Maybe make it bigger and have some player clips to make it like a solid box to eliminate any chance of getting stuck.
    The vita-chamber is wonky. I'm pretty sure I've fixed it now though.

23. Post #223
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,288 Posts
    Foda posted:
    You've got it wrong. It'll work fine. Don't worry. Regarding B, I downloaded a underwater sound file, and made my func_train's move sound to that file
    Linkage? and how would I be able to put that file in hammer?

24. Post #224
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    Yeah, underwater definetly needs more lights. I couldn't see jack. Especially if you plan to add some scenery to give more of the underwater look. But it really felt like I was going under. Maybe you should have some bubble rise from the bottom of the window as it goes down?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #225
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,726 Posts
    Mister B posted:
    Linkage? and how would I be able to put that file in hammer?
    http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/s...d.php?t=477852

You can download Pak-Rat to open my .bsp and take out the files:
    http://www.geocities.com/cofrdrbob/pakrat.html

26. Post #226
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,288 Posts
    Thank you so much. Also, not to be a bother, but... I have Ekszbox-ABX, but what exact files do i go to? i went to sounds_windows, but nothing. Also, when I said linkage, i wanted linkage to the sound, or tell me where i could find it on my computer. But that tutorial WILL come in handy.

27. Post #227
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    605 Posts
    That metro demo was pretty awesome good work!

28. Post #228
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,726 Posts
    Mister B, you'll also need MusicPlayerEx to play back and convert the sounds. I've started to work on some textures:

Brass

It's actually really shinny in-game (lol phong)

29. Post #229
    Modelrator
    February 2005
    4,138 Posts
    Surely it's seamless?

30. Post #230
    May 2008
    149 Posts
    PLing posted:
    Surely it's seamless?

Not really.

31. Post #231
    Modelrator
    February 2005
    4,138 Posts
    Well it's not much of a use then, is it?

32. Post #232
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,726 Posts
    PLing posted:
    Well it's not much of a use then, is it?
    Er... No. :(

Didn't realize that. I'll go find a new one.

33. Post #233
    Modelrator
    February 2005
    4,138 Posts
    Well it's a quick photoshop to make it tileable... There's even a guide for it here in mapping made by Ajacks.

34. Post #234
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    Yeah and Larry has already done haf of the work.

35. Post #235
    August 2008
    44 Posts
    I am Alto Castevellio, and I am here to ask you a question..

i saw one of these a while ago, but this one looks like it's gonna finish. PLEASE FINISH THIS!

would you kindy?

(User was banned for this post (Reason: Page Stretching) [event] 114423 [/event])

36. Post #236
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    AltoCast posted:
    would you kindy?
    This got a chuckle out of me.

Foda, would you kindly finish the map and add more lighting underwater and start some texturing.

37. Post #237
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,288 Posts
    Would you kindly...uhh...darn, right when you need a humorous BioShock reference, you run out.

38. Post #238
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    I may whip up some custom textures for you, you should look here for some brass.

http://cgtextures.com/textures.php?t=browse&q=579

39. Post #239
    April 2007
    13 Posts
    loving it

40. Post #240
    August 2008
    44 Posts
    maybe you should get the big daddy models and put them in the yellow tubes.. eh just an idea