1. Post #1
    September 2007
    2,574 Posts
    Please read and remember the following rules before making a thread in this section:

Here's how it goes, please read carefully.

No X vs/or Y threads. (nVidia vs ATi / XP or Vista)
    Search for duplicate threads before making a new one, especially megathreads. This also goes for making more than one thread on the same subject.
    Respect other's views on matters. If you think they are wrong, discuss the matter, don't start trolling.
    Don't troll people over their system specs. Not everyone needs a super computer.
    Don't make a new thread every time you upgrade your system just to brag about your new system. This doesn't mean you should troll people about mentioning they bought something. Build logs are allowed but support it with lots of good pictures and lots of info.
    Try to make threads genuinely informative in some way. Don't just copy and paste.
    • Don't make threads asking us to build you a new computer with absolutely no idea what you want other than "A good gaming comp, etc.". Use google to look for information and make your own mind up. Try looking at other threads about what's a good system first. Don't use this to troll people asking for advice on one or two tweaks here and there.
    If you can't help, don't reply.
    No more 'Choose for me' threads.*
    Don't feed the trolls. Ignore them.
    • Replying to a thread/poster to say something "sucks" or anything to that effect, is not permitted. You are going to start a flame war.
    • If you are looking for help, help us help you. Post your full system specs (if applicable)
    • If you are replying to a help thread, try to read it to see if other people have already said the same as you (or even if the problem has been solved).
    Don't ask things google can answer. Like "How many Watts does this graphics card need?"
    • Help us out, reading every thread is hard. If you see something that warrants a second look from the moderators, please report it.
    • Not everyone is suited to building their own computer. Don't refuse to help them if they refuse to build it.
    Please choose thread titles that are descriptive of what you are asking or presenting. for example 'Ati 4850' is a bad thread title as it does not tell us what the thread is about.
    • Please no more 'Value/Rate my PC', 'What can i do with this old PC?' or 'Will my PC run X' Threads. They spam up the place and you should already know how good your pc is.
    Enough "Post your processor" / "Screenshot of X" Threads. They belong in fast threads. This is indicated by the 'Post your' part of the thread title.
    No more "Explore my PC" type threads. Everyone hates them and they get very boring very fast.

Posting something like "This is not a choose for me" usually means it is, or too close to call and will be filed under 'choose for me' anyway.

Most importantly, don't let this stop you from making threads, we all love a good thread, find a good topic, do your research, format the thread well and everyone will be happy.

All other normal forum rules apply.

* 'Choose for me' clarification.

Good thread:
    Basically, it would include evidence that you've done your research (Pros / cons of each item). You need to convince us that you've done your research and really don't know what to get. We really want you to start doing things on your own (get the basis of your build) don't just rely on other forum members to do all the work for you.

Every single one of these rules is now in effect in all PC Hardware forums and sub-forums, and will be strictly enforced. Breaking any one or more of these rules will most likely result in a one hour to one week ban and the thread being closed. There are two dedicated moderators to this section, both of whom are very active and will be monitoring goings on very closely.

You have been warned.

-----

Want to make a thread about PC building? Put it in the correct section!
    http://www.facepunch.com/forums/243

CPU troubles?
    See this post: http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/s...78&postcount=7
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb x 59Informative x 10Agree x 9Disagree x 4Friendly x 4Winner x 4Funny x 3Useful x 3Zing x 2Optimistic x 1Artistic x 1Late x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    445 Posts
    Special attention to the new rules: 8&9, 11-14.

Formatting for posting specs:

Code:
    [b]Budget:[/b]

[b]Motherboard:[/b]

[b]Processor:[/b]

[b]Memory:[/b]

[b]Hard Drive:[/b]

[b]Video Card:[/b]

[b]Operating System:[/b]

[b]Sound Card:[/b]

[b]Power Supply:[/b]

[b]Cooling:[/b]

[b]Monitor:[/b]

[b]Browser:[/b]

[b]Computer Purpose:[/b]

[b]Brand Preference:[/b]

[b]Miscellaneous:[/b]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb x 20Agree x 4Useful x 2Disagree x 2Informative x 2Optimistic x 1Artistic x 1Late x 1Zing x 1Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb x 12Friendly x 1Late x 1Useful x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Old Member
    January 2006
    350 Posts
    Stop making new threads asking if Vista will run on your computer.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...e-advisor.aspx
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 10Dumb x 6Optimistic x 5Late x 2Disagree x 2Agree x 2Friendly x 1Bad Reading x 1Useful x 1Winner x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    445 Posts
    Protip concerning graphics cards.

If you are buying a 4870, but don't know which one to get, get the cheapest - it will be identical to any other card (minus the possibility of minor overclocks and/or custom cooling).

Similarly, a thread asking the difference between a Sapphire 4870 and an Asus 4870 is stupid.

I'm going to start locking these kinds of threads, and bans will come in if they persist.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb x 12Disagree x 2Friendly x 1Winner x 1Bad Reading x 1Useful x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Old Member
    January 2006
    350 Posts
    There's a new sub forum for threads about building computers. USE IT.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb x 10Agree x 1Optimistic x 1Late x 1Winner x 1Bad Spelling x 1Useful x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    445 Posts
    Having CPU problems? Not running at the full ClockSpeed?

It's most likely Intel Speedstep (or the AMD equivalent).

Basically, when you are idling or running processes which do not require much CPU power, the CPU automatically underclocks itself to a lower clockspeed - saving energy.

This is NOTHING to worry about. If you are worried download Orthos. Then stress your CPU and watch the clock speed return to normal.

I'm going to start banning for people who ignore this post and make a new thread anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb x 9Informative x 1Agree x 1Winner x 1Late x 1Useful x 1Zing x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    445 Posts
    There is now a Technical Support forum.

Use it for asking for help with your PC - provided it doesn't involve actually constructing your PC or what to make it with (i.e. stuff that belongs in PC Building).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb x 6Late x 1Winner x 1Useful x 1Disagree x 1Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    September 2007
    2,574 Posts
    It's spelled DUAL core, not DUEL, that's what you do with swords.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 94Dumb x 5Agree x 3Disagree x 2Winner x 2Optimistic x 1Bad Spelling x 1Zing x 1Artistic x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    445 Posts
    Guys, stop all this Fanboy shit.

Don't try catching people out for being Fanboys.

If I catch the back and forth arguments, you'll both be banned.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Cynical Moderator
    July 2005
    1,352 Posts
    I've been given the oppertunity to moderate this section, and it's sub forums. As part of this, I will be enforcing all the section rules, especially 1, 9, 17 and 18.

I think it's a good start to add a little list of my personal pet hates, things which may not get you banned, but may end up with the thread being locked for the sanity of other members.

Don't post:
    • Low content threads on ANY subject. If it's a one liner, it's most likley going to fall under the global rule of "Crap thread" anyway, so avoid creating them.
    • X v Y threads, with little or no research. This ones a section rule anyway, so please research your decision before asking the forum
    • Threads about choosing headphones. Search, you will find hundreds. Use the megathread. Bump it if needs be.
    • Anything about upgrading, or buying new parts belongs in PC Building.
    • Threads asking for support on your PSP or NDS. Youre better off asking on a dedicated modding forum.
    • Can my pc run game x? Check the minimum spec for the game, its easy enough to compare to what you have.][*]

Try to:
    Post your thread in the correct section. Help and support threads belong in Tech Support, not the main. If you feel the need to use the "Help" post-icon, the thread probably belongs in tech support.

I encourage:
    • Doing your own research. I like reading threads where the OP, and others have done some work for themselfs, looking into various options.
    • Posting hardware and software news. This content is perfectly acceptable in the main H&S forum, refrain from minor news like a software update though. Something BIG, like roadmap leaks, is always a good read, providing the thread has some good content to go with it.
    • Reporting posts. If you see something that obviously breaks rules, report it.
    • Helping others.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb x 14Friendly x 5Bad Spelling x 3Informative x 2Agree x 1Bad Reading x 1Funny x 1Disagree x 1Useful x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Jaykin Bacon: Episode 3
    May 2005
    2,469 Posts
    I know the subforums are at the bottom of the page, but please check if your thread is relevant to those sections before posting in the parent forum. If you need help with something please post it in Tech Support.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Winner x 8Dumb x 2Informative x 1Optimistic x 1Useful x 1Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,114 Posts
    Just reminding you guys that you should post support threads in the support section etc otherwise you'll be banned.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Funny Funny x 2Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)