1. Post #2241
    September 2010
    1,020 Posts
    lol. That was awesome on gabe's part. A good way to answer ep 3 questions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

2. Post #2242

December 2011
    76 Posts
    GIVE THEM STICKERS AND SIGNATURES AND RESPOND TO THEIR EMAILS.

THAT WAY, THEY WILL FORGET ABOUT HALF LIFE 3 AND LOVE US NO MATTER WHAT WE DO.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #2243
    Sphene
    September 2010
    10,588 Posts
    pretty much
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #2244
    April 2008
    505 Posts
    A little late, but still funny

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 55Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #2245
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    408 Posts
    A little late, but still funny

My name's Derek and I've talked to him about writing techniques...

...I wonder if I'm one of his favorite Dereks.

PS: Emailed Valve about a signed Christmas present after buying the Valve Complete Pack.

Edited:

Oh my god. o.o:
    Valve is epic. Thank you Valve, and thank you Joel! I am very happy. He replied literally two minutes after I sent it.

I am in love with this company. And Joel. (Possibly homo.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #2246
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,393 Posts
    Valve is epic. Thank you Valve, and thank you Joel! I am very happy. He replied literally two minutes after I sent it.
    Joel is best FrontDesk@ValveSoftware.com
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

7. Post #2247
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    408 Posts
    Joel is a god among men.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #2248
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,393 Posts
    Here's High-Res scannings of the signatures I have (Open them in new window or tab). Feel free to try to ID some of the signatures.

Emailed Mr. Joel Hatfield asking for aide in ID'ing some of them.

9. Post #2249
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    408 Posts
    Here's High-Res scannings of the signatures I have (Open them in new window or tab). Feel free to try to ID some of the signatures.

Very nice. :D

EDIT: Woah, just noticed I messed up at first. xD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #2250
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    408 Posts

Question: does this kind of stuff from Valve usually come from a delivery service like Fed-Ex or UPS, or does it come by mail?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

11. Post #2251
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    6,087 Posts
    My name's Derek and I've talked to him about writing techniques...

...I wonder if I'm one of his favorite Dereks.

PS: Emailed Valve about a signed Christmas present after buying the Valve Complete Pack.

Edited:

Oh my god. o.o:

I am in love with this company. And Joel. (Possibly homo.)
    :(

I need to ask for stuff, I've bought a lot from them and supported them through every wrong thing they've done, I've never asked for anything from them

Edited:

I've been too frightened to do it how do you guys just say it and get stuff

Edited:

No, he only replies to Gmail.
    Now I feel bad of thinking they ignored me on purpose when I asked questions to clear up something about an upcoming TF2 update through yahoo

Edit:

Like, what kind of things do you ask for? If I asked for a signed iPhone cover would that be too much? Would they be okay if I paid them for it?

Who do you ask?

I should just try to buy their products and go to VALVe and have them sign it then say I emailed them for it

12. Post #2252
    Sphene
    September 2010
    10,588 Posts
    Why do people think he only replies to Gmail? He replied to my hotmail once.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #2253
    November 2010
    1,073 Posts
    lol. That was awesome on gabe's part. A good way to answer ep 3 questions.
    I just asked him about it, and this is what he said.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12Informative Informative x 9 (list)

14. Post #2254
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,393 Posts
    Question: does this kind of stuff from Valve usually come from a delivery service like Fed-Ex or UPS, or does it come by mail?
    Regular mail.

Edited:

I need to ask for stuff, I've bought a lot from them and supported them through every wrong thing they've done, I've never asked for anything from them

Edited:

I've been too frightened to do it how do you guys just say it and get stuff

Edited:

Now I feel bad of thinking they ignored me on purpose when I asked questions to clear up something about an upcoming TF2 update through yahoo

Edit:

Like, what kind of things do you ask for? If I asked for a signed iPhone cover would that be too much? Would they be okay if I paid them for it?

Who do you ask?

I should just try to buy their products and go to VALVe and have them sign it then say I emailed them for it
    I've heard you can put in a request for it to be signed when you buy stuff (Like posters). I've not bought anything from the Valve Store so I can't confirm nor deny this.

15. Post #2255
    I may have a BIG dick but that doesn't mean I deserve a BIG title
    December 2009
    5,383 Posts
    Regular mail.

Edited:

I've heard you can put in a request for it to be signed when you buy stuff (Like posters). I've not bought anything from the Valve Store so I can't confirm nor deny this.
    I just asked frontdesk@valvesoftware.com if they could sign the posters I'm buying. He said yes but they're being shipped from an offsite location therefore I needed to send them the posters. It's been two months since the posters got there and they're not here yet and they aren't responding to my emails. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

16. Post #2256
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    I just asked him about it, and this is what he said.

I'm calling fake.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 43Disagree Disagree x 2Informative Informative x 2 (list)

17. Post #2257
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,393 Posts
    I just asked frontdesk@valvesoftware.com if they could sign the posters I'm buying. He said yes but they're being shipped from an offsite location therefore I needed to send them the posters. It's been two months since the posters got there and they're not here yet and they aren't responding to my emails. :(
    Wait another month.

3 months seems to be the magic number.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #2258
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    1,601 Posts
    A couple of conversations I had with Mike Morasky.

This is a reply to a question I had about the different versions of "Reconstructing Science":

Hello.

I've been comparing "Reconstructing More Science" from Volume 3 to the original Portal 2 trailer, the E3 2010 fan-recorded loop of "Reconstructing Science" on Youtube, and the "Micro Mix" of "Reconstructing Science" released prior to Portal 2's release, and to my ears, it sounds like there's two different mixes of this track.

"Reconstructing More Science" sounds like an extended/complete version of the Portal 2 teaser audio, while the "Micro Mix" and E3 2010 recording sound like a sped-up, higher tempo looping version with certain sections downplayed or mixed differently than what's on Volume 3.

Does this, in fact, mean that there are two different, similar but distinct, versions of this song floating around? If so, would you be willing to release the faster-tempo version?

The game's text files also indicate "Reconstructing Science" was supposed to be one of the ending tracks, fitting in somewhere around "Want You Gone." Was this any particular version?

Thank you for your time, and for releasing a stand-alone version of the Portal 2 soundtrack.
    Hi [En Ex],
    Very observant.
    I believe that there are currently actually 4 publicly "available" versions total and 1 that's not been publicly released.
    - original e3 (nano) mix
    - e3 booth mix (micro), yes faster, sparser
    - special mix for portal2 ARG version of "audio surf"
    - volume 3 "more" version
    - there were 2 "audio surf arg" versions from which they selected 1, so there's another one somewhere that's unreleased.

Yes, originally the credits went longer than "want you gone" so we had a short version of "reconstructing" following it (in a filmic fashion) but decided that the callback video worked better if we sped up the credits and went straight to the video instead. I don't believe it was a unique version of "reconstructing".

If it makes some sort of sense to release all the versions at some point, I don't see why we wouldn't. No promises though.

If we come up with an excuse

This reply answers a question I had about "Archimedes." Just to clarify, Mike got me confused with someone else in this email. I did not actually visit Valve.

Hello.

Thanks for putting "Archimedes" in TF2. My question is, is it a remix of "A Little Heart to Heart" you decided to make for fun, or was it an alternate version of "A Little Heart to Heart" that went unused for Meet the Medic?

Thanks for your time.
    Hi [En Ex],

I'm glad you liked it. I wasn't able to be there for your visit so I thought I'd contribute in my own way.

The piece was actually a combination of the two. I originally planned to have the opening music to "A Little Heart to Heart" be a bit more involved like in "Archimedes", so I did some versions with all the extra improvisation and more complex lines at the same time I did the simple versions. I liked the way the players were working together so I worked with them to come up with a scheme to do a much longer version of just that section to potentially put in the menu (which I now try to do with every piece if I have the time). I ended up using a simple version for the video and I had forgotten I had that longer more complex version until I heard you were visiting and that you were a big TF2 fan. I then went and dug it out.. edited it a little bit and voila, there you go.

So yes, it's a long version of the unused alternate opening to "A Little Heart to Heart" that I did for fun.

thanks for writing,

mike
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

19. Post #2259

December 2011
    128 Posts
    I asked Gabe 3 - 4 months ago, if they can send me an autograph. They replied real fast asking about my adress, but i still haven't got anything.

How long does it take? Maybe it takes so long, because i live in germany. Should I ask about it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 Germany Show Events

20. Post #2260
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    2,363 Posts
    I already got gabe's signature, should i ask for moar? :O i dont want to seem like a needy fuck to them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7 (list)

21. Post #2261
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    13,839 Posts
    I already got gabe's signature, should i ask for moar? :O i dont want to seem like a needy fuck to them.
    I think asking once is enough, they might think you're greedy ;)

Also, once I get my engineering firm up and running, I'm totally making a life-size hunter for them (animatronic of course).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #2262
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    2,363 Posts
    I think asking once is enough, they might think you're greedy ;)

Also, once I get my engineering firm up and running, I'm totally making a life-size hunter for them (animatronic of course).
    Yah that's what i thought. I don't want to piss them off. One signature is enough.

23. Post #2263
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,393 Posts
    Waiting for my signed snack bar item...

I hope they didn't forget about me.

I'll give them another 3 months.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

24. Post #2264
    April 2011
    67 Posts
    A couple of conversations I had with Mike Morasky.

-snip-
    I just want to point out something that impressed me about Mike's replies to you. He said:

"I ended up using a simple version for the video and I had forgotten I had that longer more complex version until I heard you were visiting and that you were a big TF2 fan. I then went and dug it out.. edited it a little bit and voila, there you go."

That's just plain awesome that he'd do that for just one fan. Total Respect!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

25. Post #2265
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    4,048 Posts
    Waiting for my signed snack bar item...

I hope they didn't forget about me.

I'll give them another 3 months.
    The food is gonna be stale by the time it gets to you...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #2266
    April 2011
    14 Posts
    So... I sent a mail to Valve. 19 hours later: An answer. ^^

(There's some spoilers in this mail!)
    http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k...ValveMail1.png (My mail)
    http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k...ValveMail2.png (Mike's Answer)

This made my day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #2267
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,393 Posts
    The food is gonna be stale by the time it gets to you...
    I don't plan on eating it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

28. Post #2268
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    408 Posts
    Check the mail today. Sees package with my name on it.

Instant orgasm.

I got an awesome Portal Battlemat (giant gaming mousepad) with their signatures! It's got the wall mural of the "Angel took the cube away." on it. =D

Funny thing is, I've actually needed a mouse pad for a while. Thanks Joel and Valve!

Edited:

Joel just identified two of the Signatures, I could identify most, including his. The two of them he identified are Gabe (EEEEEEEEEE) and Christina Engel. :D

29. Post #2269
    FUCK OFF garry, I am a goddamn proud swedish moose, not a fucking british heathen!
    July 2010
    3,099 Posts
    Check the mail today. Sees package with my name on it.

Instant orgasm.

I got an awesome Portal Battlemat (giant gaming mousepad) with their signatures! It's got the wall mural of the "Angel took the cube away." on it. =D

Funny thing is, I've actually needed a mouse pad for a while. Thanks Joel and Valve!

Edited:

Joel just identified two of the Signatures, I could identify most, including his. The two of them he identified are Gabe (EEEEEEEEEE) and Christina Engel. :D
    Could you post a picture!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #2270
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    408 Posts
    Could you post a picture!
    I'll try to, but I don't have a scanner or camera. I'll try and get a scanner though.

31. Post #2271

November 2011
    20 Posts
    "
    -----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:55 PM
    To: Gabe Newell
    Subject: [Contact Form] Valve's Stance on SOPA and PIPA

Dear Mr. Newell

As I am sure you may know, the United States Congress is to debate the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and Protect IP Act (PIPA) on January 24th, 2012.

Most of the entertainment industry has supported these bills, including numerous large games companies, and we know Valve has experienced piracy of their content before, but given Gabe’s recent statements about online piracy in video games it leads to a sense of uncertainty as to the company’s official position.

Does Valve support SOPA and PIPA?

Sincerely
    -A Concerned Citizen

Message sent via contact form at http://www.valvesoftware.com/email.php
    Senders IP address: ***************************

Gabe Newell gaben@valvesoftware.com
    10:19 PM (1 hour ago)

Nope.
    "

So that's a relief.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 16Winner Winner x 7 (list)

32. Post #2272
    June 2011
    255 Posts
    I love how he replies with one word and a fullstop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

33. Post #2273

November 2011
    20 Posts
    I love how he replies with one word and a fullstop.
    I was half expecting "nope.avi"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #2274
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    7,612 Posts
    So how many emails do you think they reply to out of the tons they get? I have a slight concern I'd like to ask someone about but I'm unsure of how to get my foot in the door with all the other people trying at the same time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #2275
    Sphene
    September 2010
    10,588 Posts
    I'd say roughly 1/50 that get past the spam/retard filter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #2276
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    12,133 Posts
    not my email but for people wondering about valve's stance on sopa

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 9Winner Winner x 2 (list)

37. Post #2277
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    7,612 Posts
    I'd say roughly 1/50 that get past the spam/retard filter.
    That's not good... My "concern" must sound really dumb to anyone other than me as well, so I don't have high hopes now.

38. Post #2278
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    1,601 Posts
    That's not good... My "concern" must sound really dumb to anyone other than me as well, so I don't have high hopes now.

Who you email depends on your concern. If it's music, for example, Mike Morasky is your best bet. If it's Half-Life, Marc Laidlaw. And if it's knives...

39. Post #2279
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    7,612 Posts
    It's TF2 related.

40. Post #2280
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,393 Posts
    My guess would be to email Robin Walker.