1. Post #2161
    December 2009
    5,965 Posts
    I hope it's that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2162
    Eyes like a god damn hawk
    March 2011
    4,679 Posts
    He responded to my what's your favorite Pokemon e-mail within like an hour.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Serbia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #2163
    March 2010
    779 Posts
    He responded to my what's your favorite Pokemon e-mail within like an hour.
    He posted on my Pokemon forum saying what his favorite Pokemon was within 15 minutes.

After making sure it was legitimate I made a Gabe Newell subforum and started banning anyone who spoke ill of it.

Everyone either thinks its fake or doesn't understand the significance of it. ;_;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #2164

August 2010
    6 Posts
    He never did respond to my video email, though I know through my site stats that he (or someone else at Valve) watched it, checked out my portfolio, and forwarded the video link to a few other Valve folks. My hope was that the reason he'd forwarded it was because he got a kick out of it... but now I suspect it was for mockery purposes. Which, hey, that's fair enough -- it was pretty mock-worthy.

Still, would've loved a reply even if it was "um, don't quit your day job, lady." :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

5. Post #2165
    April 2011
    970 Posts
    He posted on my Pokemon forum saying what his favorite Pokemon was within 15 minutes.

After making sure it was legitimate I made a Gabe Newell subforum and started banning anyone who spoke ill of it.

Everyone either thinks its fake or doesn't understand the significance of it. ;_;
    What IS his favorite Pokémon anyways?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #2166
    March 2010
    779 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

7. Post #2167
    I may have a BIG dick but that doesn't mean I deserve a BIG title
    December 2009
    5,439 Posts
    What IS his favorite Pokémon anyways?
    slowpoke
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

8. Post #2168
    June 2011
    2,651 Posts
    Snorlax
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #2169
    Eyes like a god damn hawk
    March 2011
    4,679 Posts
    Yeah, it's Snorlax.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Serbia Show Events

10. Post #2170
    Sphene
    September 2010
    10,770 Posts
    Slowlax
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

11. Post #2171
    I paid $999.99 for a forum upgrade and all I got was a beating from my mother :(
    February 2005
    16,968 Posts
    Munchlax
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events

12. Post #2172
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,661 Posts
    Mailed back the letter they sent me to be signed by "The Other Half of Valve"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

13. Post #2173
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    214 Posts
    I had a very long email conversation with Chet regarding work experience. Please excuse some of my fanboy remarks. Start from the bottom and work your way up.

Chet:
    We have no minimums but people need to show they can create things of quality and ship them, doing it as a team is even better.
    Me:
    There may be plenty, but none top Valve (fanboy moment, I know), in both quality of the end result (so far, every game you've released has been brilliant) and support to the community. Plus, from what I've heard, Valve is like college: lot's of fun, but also, working hard at the same time.
    Also, when you say that it has to excite you, in what way? Does it have to be something entirely new, something different, something that uses a technique which is easier than a previous technique used...? And what is the minimum age required for a job? As I'm currently a student.
    Chet:
    For us it means you have to have created something that excites us.* What about splashdamage or other smaller developers?* There are plenty in the UK.
    Me:
    Not that many in England I'm afraid. Rockstar North and Codemasters are the only good ones that I can think of, but both of them I don't want to work for in the future, mainly as I don't see any team spirit and no sense of a community in the office, unlike you guys. Not only that, but it would require learning much more complex tools which would still produce the same, if not worse, result than the tools you use.
    Also, where it says in the "Level Designer" job application on your website, it says you need "industry experience". What exactly does that mean? Does that mean you have to have worked at another company or be knowledgeable with Hammer/Faceposer/XSI/etc via being in the modding community for several years?
    Chet:
    Sorry no we don’t.* We don’t have managers so everyone has to be a self-starter/senior.* Have you looked around at any local companies?
    Me:
    Hi Chet,
    Do you guys at Valve do work experience for students? As I'm hoping to work there at some point in the future, and it would be nice if you do.
    Well at least I learned something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3Informative Informative x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

14. Post #2174
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,572 Posts
    emailed valve about a model i submitted and the similarity to the monoculus and got this back

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 52Friendly Friendly x 6Zing Zing x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #2175
    February 2010
    870 Posts
    Hnnnggg that's awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

16. Post #2176
    February 2010
    1,185 Posts
    I sent Gabe my portal 2 painting. But I feel guilty asking for stuff. I was like "I'll send you my orange box if you want" but I dunno, they must be sick of all these emails. But I want something signed so bad.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #2177
    Sphene
    September 2010
    10,770 Posts
    they must be sick of all these emails
    Ehhh... I wouldn't agree on that. In fact I think they'd be worried if they didn't get all the emails they do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #2178
    Want an apple?
    October 2010
    2,810 Posts
    Valve is amazing. I have never met any game developer that cares so much about their community. Sure they take quite a long time releasing new games, but when they do it's always a classic. I can still sit down and play through Half-Life and get the same rush as I did when I first played it, not many games do that, and the ones that do are mostly indie games. (My personal opinion of course.)

Valve is, and will always be my favorite game developer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

19. Post #2179
    September 2009
    1,829 Posts
    Asked some questions about the TF2 decals, just got answered :

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events Late Late x 3 (list)

20. Post #2180
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,367 Posts
    Anyone else sent Gabe a happy birthday email?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #2181
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,629 Posts
    Anyone else sent Gabe a happy birthday email?
    Heck yes, how could I not? The guy is a legend.

22. Post #2182
    The Cold Wind Of France
    November 2008
    18,218 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Informative Informative x 5 (list)

23. Post #2183
    Dosen't need a bigger avatar
    April 2010
    3,132 Posts
    i emailed the Gaben email adress from my hotmail email, is that ok, will he reply?
    sorry, first time i've attempted to email someone at valve
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

24. Post #2184
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,367 Posts
    i emailed the Gaben email adress from my hotmail email, is that ok, will he reply?
    sorry, first time i've attempted to email someone at valve
    No, he only replies to Gmail.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

25. Post #2185
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,127 Posts

Welp.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 36Zing Zing x 4 (list)

26. Post #2186
    SteamDB
    November 2007
    10,831 Posts

Welp.
    Have fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

27. Post #2187
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,127 Posts
    Have fun.
    I started replaying it a couple of weeks ago on a Hard mode, crowbar-only run. Stopped playing and now it's time to continue that nightmare.

28. Post #2188
    May 2011
    250 Posts
    You need a excuse to replay HL 2?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

29. Post #2189
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,661 Posts
    For "Front Desk"

Joel Hatfield > Christina Engel.

Hands down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #2190
    Sphene
    September 2010
    10,770 Posts
    No, he only replies to Gmail.
    I use hotmail and he replied to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #2191
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    331 Posts
    Sorry if I missed something, but who do I email for birthday stuff or gifts? My birthday is coming up and I wish to get a poster or something from them.
    I'm thinking of emailing
    GabeN@valvesoftware.com
    Asked this 2 weeks ago. Today, after my b'day, I got a notice for some package that arrived at the local post office.
    Might be Valve, I haven't ordered anything online. I didn't get anything about this in my Email too.
    Does Gabe give away b'day presents as a surprise, or am I going to be utterly dissapointed?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

32. Post #2192
    Sphene
    September 2010
    10,770 Posts
    Asked this 2 weeks ago. Today, after my b'day, I got a notice for some package that arrived at the local post office.
    Might be Valve, I haven't ordered anything online. I didn't get anything about this in my Email too.
    Does Gabe give away b'day presents as a surprise, or am I going to be utterly dissapointed?
    Unless you emailed them telling them that you love them in every possible way, and that your birthday is coming up, you won't get diddly squat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

33. Post #2193
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    861 Posts
    I emailed Valve for the first time a week ago. I sent a Portal 2 inspired poster to Gabe and mentioned that I've grown up with the games. But I guess he probably has too many "dota2 gib keypls" emails.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #2194
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,661 Posts
    Emailed Gabe asking for a signed Snack Bar item (such as a coca Cola, or a Big Pink Cookie)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #2195
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,127 Posts
    You need a excuse to replay HL 2?
    Hard mode, crowbar-only run
    I had just gotten to the coast.

So, yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

36. Post #2196
    Dreams of chronic and sustained critglows.
    December 2010
    16,896 Posts
    HOLY CRAP

Gabe Newell is sending my little brother a christmas present :O
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 21Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

37. Post #2197
    May 2010
    893 Posts
    HOLY CRAP

Gabe Newell is sending my little brother a christmas present :O
    Saxton Hale postcard Christmas present.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #2198
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events

39. Post #2199

I showed him my 3D model i did of Chell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #2200
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,127 Posts

I showed him my 3D model i did of Chell.
    He doesn't seem to care
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 31Funny Funny x 6Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)