1. Post #2641
    IT WAS ONLY $1 SO WHY NOT BUY A TITLE?
    March 2007
    3,102 Posts
    I hate asking for free stuff so I asked for something for my friend's 19th coming up. 19 is the legal drinking age here so it's a pretty big birthday, so I figured I'd buy him a drink and give him a sweet poster if Valve sends me one.

I hope they do, his walls are goddamn bare.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

2. Post #2642
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts

I'm totally okay with this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 12Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #2643
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,459 Posts
    I need to email someone at Valve who does mapping with hammer, does anyone know who I should talk to?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #2644
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    I need to email someone at Valve who does mapping with hammer, does anyone know who I should talk to?
    I emailed Phil Co and he's a little busy this week apparently

5. Post #2645
    gay as h*ck
    January 2012
    2,044 Posts
    I emailed Phil Co and he's a little busy this week apparently
    I wonder why.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Turkey Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 8 (list)

6. Post #2646
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,638 Posts
    I sent Michael Abrash a mail.

Dear Michael,

I just read your new blog post. All of it. It was truly fascinating. I really liked the part where you told Valve was still contacting you for 14 years.

It was so fascinating in fact, that I wanted to share you my train of thought.
    I have been making a few models since Oct 2011, using 3ds max. I've learned most of the program myself in just one saturday. I have created several working models for Team Fortress 2, following the same style the team has set up for the game.

I've also done some programming in C++, though that was nothing extraordinary. I've also used the Hammer Editor.

As you can read, I've picked up some VERY minor experience in game designing, and I decided I like creating things.

Currently, I'm following a basic ICT course in Helmond, the Netherlands. This college offers multimedia (mostly making websites) and programming, using C++, which I'll most likely follow. Unfortunately, it doesn't offer anything to do with models. For that, I'm going to have to study at least 40 miles from where I live.

There is only one game designing studio in the Netherlands, named Guerilla Studios (they made the Killzone series) in Amsterdam. Amsterdam however, is at least 200 kilometres from where I live.

Since you have first-hand experience in becoming a game designer, I would like to know what my chances are in doing the same.

Your blog post opened eyes for me. It truly did. It showed me how Valve works behind its curtains, and I like what I see.

I hope you can tell me on how to become a game designer, and I would extremely appreciate it if you could find time to send me a reply.

Thank you,
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #2647
    June 2010
    653 Posts
    Found this thread and it reminded me of the signed l4d2 posters I received from Valve.
    I go to my wardrobe where I kept them safe until I got enough money to buy frames from them.
    They weren't there.
    I searched high and low for them but I couldn't find them.
    So, I asked my mum whether she knew where they were.
    She said, "You mean those tubes, I didn't think there was anything in them, so I chucked them in the bin."

Fuck you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 34Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #2648
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    735 Posts
    Just got some free stuff from valve
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 10Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #2649
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,886 Posts
    Found this thread and it reminded me of the signed l4d2 posters I received from Valve.
    I go to my wardrobe where I kept them safe until I got enough money to buy frames from them.
    They weren't there.
    She said, "You mean those tubes, I didn't think there was anything in them, so I chucked them in the bin."

Fuck you.
    Let the killing begin....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

10. Post #2650
    [SIZE=6][COLOR="#EE82EE"]Hardcore My Little Pony Fan[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    July 2008
    5,870 Posts
    They weren't there.

Fuck you.
    I really hate parents who do that, for the love of god stop throwing shit away. My mother has thrown away several essays of mine what I had to rewrite.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 12Agree Agree x 6 (list)

11. Post #2651
    AUTISTIC DOTA WANKER
    June 2006
    7,361 Posts
    So I wrote an email last weekend about a little typo on de_train in CS:GO since everything's written in russian on that map and also asked how the whole Blizzard vs Valve trademarking Dota thing went.
    She didn't reply to any of that, instead she asked if I wanted the poster (that I asked for quite some time ago) or a dota 2 key. Went with the poster, even though I have a shitton of them already (bought those fuckers from valve store).
    And at some point Mary replied with:

"that message was the closest I ever got to banging a chick"
    You dog.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #2652
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    Hey peeps, I was considering sending a mail to Valve for some stuff as well as other things, but the only contraint is that I'm living in France, and it's a pretty far way from America, do you think It'd still be able to get some goodies without having to pay postal charges ? (I'm literraly the poorest man alive)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #2653
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,222 Posts
    I think we should all pitch in and get Mary like a day massage or something cool like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #2654
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    11,792 Posts
    Dude, she works at Valve.
    Why would she need a stress relieving massage?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #2655
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    423 Posts
    Hey peeps, I was considering sending a mail to Valve for some stuff as well as other things, but the only contraint is that I'm living in France, and it's a pretty far way from America, do you think It'd still be able to get some goodies without having to pay postal charges ? (I'm literraly the poorest man alive)
    She is going to send a poster to me in Belgium, Thats close to France. I didn't have to pay postal charge so don't worry about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Belgium Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #2656
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,042 Posts
    Dude, she works at Valve.
    Why would she need a stress relieving massage?
    Yeah, they get them weekly anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

17. Post #2657

March 2010
    335 Posts
    I think we should all pitch in and get Mary like a day massage or something cool like that.
    Funny thing is Valve already have a weekly spar treatment free of charge in their offices.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

18. Post #2658
    SteamDB
    November 2007
    10,954 Posts
    I sent Michael Abrash a mail.
    I sent him a very very similar mail.

Also, on a sidenote, he posted an update on his blog here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

19. Post #2659
    I DEFY YOU, HEART MAN!
    December 2011
    391 Posts

Well everything is in it's place and I can't stop the smile on my face cause
    I'm happy, I'm happy in this place
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 10 (list)

20. Post #2660
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    So who should I email, should I just send it to marym@valvesoftware.com or should I use another adress ?

She is going to send a poster to me in Belgium, Thats close to France. I didn't have to pay postal charge so don't worry about it.
    Okay thanks, how long is it going to take before you recieve it ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

21. Post #2661
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    423 Posts
    So who should I email, should I just send it to marym@valvesoftware.com or should I use another adress ?

I have no idea. I gave her my address 10 days ago but that doesn't mean that it was shipped on the same day. I guess it's going to be around 2 weeks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #2662
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,792 Posts

Mine shipped in a week.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #2663
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,314 Posts
    I received awesome swag today, will upload images later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #2664
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    Just sent my mail, let's see how it goes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

25. Post #2665
    draw me like one of your french grills
    July 2008
    3,613 Posts
    Sent a pencil sketch of Gordon Freeman about two days ago, just got a response that Gabe signed it and is sending it back.

Thus begins the waiting game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

26. Post #2666
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,879 Posts
    I have a Spy card. I want to trade it for the Pyro card. I asked Mary if she has a Pyro card up for trade.

I like the Pyro.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

27. Post #2667
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    1,724 Posts
    I asked Mary to send a friend of mine a CS:GO key, someone I've been really wanting to play CS:GO with for ages. My friend just got it today! Super-excited!

Now I get to pretend I know what I'm doing while getting dominated by them. YAY! :D

I really can't emphasize enough how amazingly awesome Mary is. If you're reading this, THANK YOU MARY!

28. Post #2668
    sent a nice email about how valve has changed my view of the gaming industry as a whole(which it has) and has changed my mind on my original decision of NOT getting into the development industry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #2669
    CUNT DESTROYER
    August 2008
    10,959 Posts
    Sent some poses I did a few days ago, Mary says she's gonna put one on the wall and asked if she could send me something.

30. Post #2670
    Has volunteered for dissection because the doctor is cute
    May 2009
    20,302 Posts
    I sent a little picture I drew in Paint.net. Mary has offered to get it signed and posted to me.

Shes so incredibly nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

31. Post #2671
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    9,994 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

32. Post #2672
    August 2011
    461 Posts
    What's Mary's email anyway?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

33. Post #2673
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,879 Posts
    What's Mary's email anyway?
    her email is shown in the pictures

anyways, it's marym@valvesoftware.com
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events

34. Post #2674
    Dennab
    December 2009
    6,575 Posts

I don't know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Funny Funny x 6 (list)

35. Post #2675
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    How many days does she usually take to answer ? It's been two days already and I just want an answer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #2676
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    1,724 Posts
    How many days does she usually take to answer ? It's been two days already and I just want an answer.
    Just be patient. She's probably busy trying to figure out where Chet's hiding so Valve can get back to work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #2677
    January 2012
    21 Posts
    I mailed VALVe few times, but they never answered me :( That might mean, that my step brother is Bad luck Brian... ^^ Or my mails were too stupid, i don't know.

Can't find those mails, but i remember, that in a first I asked about Meet the pyro, second was cow mangler kill icon fix and the third just a response about hatconomy and other stuff.

Anyway, I think that VALVe is a company that reads much more mails than the others :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #2678
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,638 Posts
    Still no response from Michelak, see my previous post up there. Man, I've never gotten a response from Valve :C
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

39. Post #2679
    October 2010
    1,396 Posts
    My brother emailed Mary to send me something for my birthday. Yes!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events

40. Post #2680
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    1,798 Posts
    Emailed Front desk two times already, One yesterday, and one two weeks ago. This time I sent Mary a Shark picture. She likes sharks right, or was it dolphins?