1. Post #1
    September 2005
    33 Posts
    I heard this story in my 7th grade English class 6 years ago, and was fascinated with it, and still am today.

If you don't know anything about the history of the house on 112 Ocean Avenue, in the quaint little town of Amityville, let me enlighten you.

The house in 1974 with the DeFeo "High Hopes" sign and its sinister eye-shaped windows.

The DeFeo Murders

The DeFeo family was looking for a new life away from Brooklyn and looked to a quiet little town called Amityville on the New England coast. They posted a sign at the front "High Hopes" that represented their attitude toward a life anew in this town.

However, the family did anything but get better. Ronald "Butch" DeFeo and his father fought constantly, and one night Butch got so tired of his father fighting with his sister that he grabbed his .35 rifle and held it up to his father's head and pulled the trigger. Lucky for him, nothing came out....that night.

The family's faith in christianity was not helping either, and things just got worse. But on the cold morning of November 13, 1974,at about 1:00-3:00 A.M., the fighting would stop forever.

The early evening of November 13, Butch ran into his friend's bar and screamed that his parents were shot in his house, and demanded that his bartender friend come along as well. When they got there they discovered the bodies of Butch's parents and two sisters Dawn and Allison.

9-1-1 received a call from the distressed bartender. "Everyone's.... Everyone's dead!"

Late that night, the police uncovered a horrific crime scene. All six of the DeFeo family members excluding Butch had been found lying dead face-down in their beds, all shot in the back apparently while slumbering.

This puzzled police in that they were all apparently face down at the time of death, and noone woke up from the gunshots. The gun used was an unsilenced .35 rifle which could be heard by neighbors, but noone heard it.

Ronald "Butch" DeFeo Jr. was suspected and convicted immediately of the murders. He claimed to have heard voices telling him to kill his family members, though now he claims that his oldest sister Dawn, wanted to kill their parents, but when he saw that Dawn killed their siblings as well, he knocked her out over her bed and killed her. "unburned" gun powder was found on her gown and other substantial evidence was found, indicating that this story could be true. He is serving 6 life sentences, and has not been approved for parole.

The Lutz's Move In: Exploitation of a Tragedy or True Story?

George and Kathy Lutz

George and Kathy Lutz moved into the house on 112 in 1975, aware that murders had occurred 13 month ago, but they weren't bothered by this. 28 days later, however, they left the house claiming that they were plagued by terrifying paranormal experiences.

They claimed to have seen flies gathering in the window of the DeFeo brothers' bedroom, slime oozing from the walls at certain times, black oil-like substance overflowing toilets, crucifixes turning upside down, and a pig named Jodie with red eyes that talked to their youngest daughter telling her to stay and play with her forever.

George Lutz claims to have awoken at around 3:15 A.M.(when the murders occurred), and Kathy claimed to have had nightmares about Louise DeFeo, Butch's mother. They also claim to have found a red room behind a wall under the basement staircase and saw an apparition of Ronald DeFeo Jr.

After they had enough, they left all of their possessions untouched in the house. Of course they'd never need them anyway, considering they'd make millions of bucks on the story.

They took their story to acclaimed author Jay Anson, and he made their story known nationwide in 1979. Soon after, a movie was made with James Brolin based on the book. The Lutz's story was known by all.

There have been many debates as to whether this story is true, but many believe it to be a hoax in an attempt to avoid mortgage payments or to simply make money off of the DeFeo's murder story.

True Story or hoax? You decide.

Puzzling evidence and photos

Paranormal experts went to the house in 1976 to investigate the house after the Lutz family moved out. They set up a camera at the second floor landing that night that would take pictures at certain times and noone was at the house at the time. None of the photos showed anything, except this one:

A figure of a boy was seen at the staircase, peaking over the rail with glowing eyes. The boy seems to resemble the youngest boy killed in the house the night of the DeFeo murders.

Ghost boy close-up.

Early photo of the DeFeo family. (back from left to right) John, Allison, Marc, (front) Dawn and Ronald Jr.

A Seventh body?

Other evidence that is pretty weird is that a photo of a possibly 7th body was found in a roll of crime scene photos taken at the murders. A photo of a body laying in a bed in what appears to be the basement of the house(due to the fake wood paneling on the walls) was found, though this may just be Dawn DeFeo's body repositioned in the basement bed. This may have to do with police being seen taking a garbage bag filled with something large back into the house. Either way, this may support evidence of police tampering with the crime scene.

Info and pics about the seventh body can be found here:

http://www.amityvillemurders.com/seventh.html

and crime scene photos on the night after the murders can be seen here:

http://www.amityvillemurders.com/csgallery/index.html

The DeFeo portraits:

Ronald "Butch" DeFeo, 24, and his father Ronald Sr. who would've turned 44 a few days after he was murdered.

Louise DeFeo, 43.

Allison DeFeo, 13, and Dawn, 18.

Marc DeFeo, 12, with his arm around little John-Matthew, 9.

This story continues to fascinate many and goes on to be one of the most notorious murder and ghost stories in America, and a remake of the Amityville movie was made in 2005 that changes a lot of the plot around. Jodie in the movie was one of the DeFeos killed, and the house is bigger and more isolated from the rest of the neighborhood, unlike the real house.

3 families have lived in the house since the Lutz family moved out, and noone has claimed to have any disturbances whatsoever, except for curious tourists purched outside their home and destructive tourists in the early 80s.

The house as it appears today:

A 5 part documentary on the Real Amityville Horror:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 9Late Late x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    July 2008
    97 Posts
    House doesn't look that scary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member

December 2005
    211 Posts
    bmg02901 posted:
    --but they weren't bothered by this. 28 days later--
    :excited:

God damn that freaks the fuck out of me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 53Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    October 2007
    30 Posts
    ok i readed the whole thread and i am fascinated with the history i never heard of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Chile Show Events Funny Funny x 14Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    4,110 Posts
    Pretty Cool Stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Spelling x 9Dumb x 1Agree x 1Artistic x 1Informative x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    555 Posts
    I am skeptical, as always, but that picture of the kid was pretty weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

7. Post #7
    October 2006
    251 Posts
    Hoax.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,276 Posts
    Man goes crazy and kills his family.

Couple moves in, has bad acid trip.

Paranormal investigators capture (see: fake) a picture of a boy and say it looks like one of the boys from the original family (which it doesn't).

Couple makes a ton of money.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

9. Post #9
    HOLY FUCK EVERYONE HAS TITLES NOW
    January 2008
    4,251 Posts
    Yeah, because noone could get into the house when there were cameras there
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

10. Post #10
    September 2005
    33 Posts
    DrMonumbo posted:
    Man goes crazy and kills his family.

Couple moves in, has bad acid trip.

Paranormal investigators capture (see: fake) a picture of a boy and say it looks like one of the boys from the original family (which it doesn't).

Couple makes a ton of money.
    I do personally believe it's a hoax, though I didn't used to. George and Kathy Lutzs' children never spoke out about their experiences so unfortunately we don't hear their story. The Lutz' haven't kept their story straight either and were known to change details of the events that occurred.

I also am willing to believe Dawn and Ronnie killed the parents in an attempt to free the kids from their father, but due to being on drugs and irrational thoughts, Dawn killed the rest of their siblings and forced them face down when she killed them. Then I believe that maybe Ronald killed her out of rage for killing the kids, and put her on the basement bed, where the police repositioned her body in her bed for some reason.

AlphaGunman posted:
    Yeah, because noone could get into the house when there were cameras there
    That kid looked a little young to just wander into the house alone, though the paranormal investigators could have gotten a boy to pose for a photo there, that is certainly possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    ASK ME IF I'M BUTTHURT
    October 2006
    275 Posts
    I actually read about this whilst taking a shit the other day. Pretty interesting stuff.
    Was a good shit too.

:howdy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 9Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Allah Akbar! Allah Akbar! Allah Akbar!
    April 2006
    16,089 Posts
    You're shit's pretty interesting.

Edit:

Oh, and this story too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Dennab
    September 2008
    710 Posts
    teh_Shane posted:
    I actually read about this whilst taking a shit the other day. Pretty interesting stuff.
    Was a good shit too.

please stop this

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,590 Posts
    I found an artist's rendition of Jodi, the red eyed pig those kids saw:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    I showed my dick to Hezzy and all I got was this lousy title
    August 2007
    297 Posts
    I thought that the story was that the boy was possessed and that's what made him kill his whole family.

Also, the first picture with the stair made me shit bricks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    September 2005
    33 Posts
    Burns posted:
    I thought that the story was that the boy was possessed and that's what made him kill his whole family.

Also, the first picture with the stair made me shit bricks.
    Well that was his original story, hearing voices convincing him to kill them, but he's changed it many times.

17. Post #17
    August 2007
    297 Posts
    bmg02901 posted:
    Well that was his original story, hearing voices convincing him to kill them, but he's changed it many times.
    I think that was the story in the new movie. I always liked exorcist movies, there's something about them that makes me terrified.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,239 Posts
    The thing is, that guy didn't kill his family.

Ninjas did.

:ninja:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    June 2005
    810 Posts
    Loch posted:
    :excited:

God damn that freaks the fuck out of me.
    It's a picture of a kid with bad redeye.

What's freaky about it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Mombasa's Hubby :3
    October 2008
    3,886 Posts
    Ryan Reynolds did a great job in the movie...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    431 Posts
    The renovation of the house was completely useless. You can still recognize it from it's distinct roof. Expect that the house isn't even that popular anymore.

Edit:

I find the Winchester Mystery House more intriguing because it's so pointless, most of the stairs there don't even lead anywhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    March 2007
    490 Posts
    the movie was good.

None of that stupid hack n slash. Just pure suspense.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,512 Posts
    The picture of the small girl reminds me of Bioshock

24. Post #24
    October 2007
    34 Posts
    That picture of the boy looking over the stair rail is just freaky.:ghost:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,815 Posts
    Yahtzee took the story and twisted it around

5 Days a Stranger was made from it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Hungary Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member

December 2006
    2,632 Posts
    cecilbdemodded posted:
    I found an artist's rendition of Jodi, the red eyed pig those kids saw:

Paedopig.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,948 Posts
    Egevened posted:
    Yahtzee took the story and twisted it around

5 Days a Stranger was made from it
    That series was amazing.

28. Post #28
    Dennab
    February 2006
    232 Posts
    Always wanted to read about Amityville, but was too lazy to read/watch anything about it.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,707 Posts
    I read a longer version of what you said, and it was pretty interesting.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,590 Posts
    You know what's weird? I just went to my Photobucket account to add a picture and I got a "terms of use violation" image replacing Jodie's picture.

How a picture of a pig violates terms of use is strange enough.

But I came here to see if it still shows up and so far it does. What's up with that?

edit: Oh, now it doesn't, that's lame. Someone reported that? Losers

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    May 2005
    416 Posts
    cecilbdemodded posted:
    You know what's weird? I just went to my Photobucket account to add a picture and I got a "terms of use violation" image replacing Jodie's picture.

How a picture of a pig violates terms of use is strange enough.

But I came here to see if it still shows up and so far it does. What's up with that?
    The plot thickens... :raise:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,590 Posts
    Well, I MS painted what I hope is an acceptable version of Jodie. I mean, it's not like he's DOING anything, I don't see what the hassle is.

33. Post #33
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,242 Posts
    Oh I am just going to sleep :(

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    3,044 Posts
    It seems quite a lot like a hoax, though the picture of the boy is pretty scary.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,239 Posts
    Thread Music:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    November 2007
    30 Posts
    I live near amityville :4chan:

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    623 Posts
    bmg02901 posted:
    They claimed to have seen flies gathering in the window of the DeFeo brothers' bedroom
    Flies normally do stuff like that
    bmg02901 posted:
    slime oozing from the walls at certain times
    Leaking pipes and mold
    bmg02901 posted:
    black oil-like substance overflowing toilets
    Broken pipes
    bmg02901 posted:
    crucifixes turning upside down
    Not adequately secured
    bmg02901 posted:
    and a pig named Jodie with red eyes that talked to their youngest daughter telling her to stay and play with her forever.
    Nightmares.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    November 2007
    30 Posts
    AaronTAB posted:

Leaking pipes and mold

Broken pipes

Not adequately secured

Nightmares.
    well your no fun :l
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    September 2005
    33 Posts
    AaronTAB posted:

Leaking pipes and mold

Broken pipes

Not adequately secured

Nightmares.
    But they claim that they saw the spirit of Jodie during the day, even seeing footprints of pigs in the yard as well.

40. Post #40
    August 2007
    297 Posts
    lolburst posted:
    The renovation of the house was completely useless. You can still recognize it from it's distinct roof. Expect that the house isn't even that popular anymore.

Edit:

I find the Winchester Mystery House more intriguing because it's so pointless, most of the stairs there don't even lead anywhere.
    I went there and I'll tell you, that place is fucking creepy.