1. Post #1
    August 2008
    190 Posts
    :siren:Updated as of 1/7/08:siren:
    Copy & Pasted from wikipedia.

Story:

Anarchy Online's plot revolves around the fight to control the fictional planet Rubi-Ka. Its original four year storyline was written and later directed by Ragnar Tørnquist, who also developed the stories for Funcom's The Longest Journey and Dreamfall titles. It was designed to be played out as a series of in-game events lasting from 2001 until 2005.

According to a description on the game's official website, hyper-corporation Omni-Tek was granted a one thousand year lease to the desert planet on Jan 01, 28708 shorty after its discovery. It was a seemingly useless arid landscape far from civilization until the discovery of the mineral notum. That mineral's properties led to major leaps forward in nanotechnology that made possible the large-scale manipulation of matter, energy, and even resurrection from death. The first five hundred years of Omni-Tek's unfettered control of Rubi-Ka were marked with an exemplary worker treatment record, but as time passed the company's policies degraded into near totalitarianism. It was then that a significant number of poorly treated colonists rebelled and began to trade stolen notum to a rival corporation. These rebel groups, collectively calling themselves the Clans, fought a series of wars with Omni-Tek in the centuries leading up to the in-game timeline.

After the game's release, Tørnquist published his short fiction novel Prophet Without Honor (Anarchy Online Book 1) that serves as a historical primer. The story has since been extended beyond its original conclusion, but a second book was never written.

Role-players often participated in and influenced the outcome of the story during the first four years. This is evidenced in a New York Times article, published in 2003, about a well-known player named Rick Stenlund. Stenlund used the game's message boards to organize an in-game rally in protest of a proposed change to gameplay. Administrators responded by preparing a role-play event with official characters and incorporating the rally into the official timeline.

Gameplay:

The Gameplay of Anarchy Online is based on the same features as many of its predecessors in the MMORPG genre of games. Players assume the roles of newly arrived colonists to planet Rubi-Ka where they create unique virtual characters based on two genders, four species, and 14 different professions such as Agent or Doctor. They then choose to align themselves with either the Omni-Tek corporation, the rebel Clans, or to remain neutral. There is no specific goal that must be realized to win the game, nor is there any rigid gameplay structure. Instead, the general objective of the game is to continually improve the abilities of characters by acquiring items and killing enemies, the so-called Nonlinear gameplay style of play. The status of any one character is measured in 200 consecutive "levels" reached as experience points are earned in a variety of ways. Upon reaching level 200, players with the Shadowlands expansion pack are given the opportunity to permanently commit to the side they chose earlier in order to gain another 20 shadow levels reached as shadow knowledge.

As players earn experience and gain levels, they are able to increase the skills of their characters through the game's three distinct skill systems. The first base system awards characters with a number of points after reaching each new level. These points are spent to improve skills of their choice. Although many are intended for particular professions, none of the 83 available skills are denied outright to any character. "Perks" are a second skill system introduced with the Shadowlands and Alien Invasion expansions. Perk points are rewarded to the player at specific milestones during their progression. They are chosen from tiered groups which augment specific types of base skills. Research, the third system, was introduced with the Lost Eden expansion. Players may opt to designate a percentage of their earned experience toward either personal or game-wide research projects. Augmented base skills and abilities are rewarded as research projects are completed.

A variety of items can be acquired, at cost of by effort, to further improve characters. Each character has a number of slots representing areas of the body, such as "Left-Arm" and "Head," in which items can be worn. The minimum skill requirements must be met to wear any given item. In addition to common items types like "armor" and "weapons," the game also provides slots for "nano controller units" and "implants." Nano controller units act as a finite pool for players to store skill bonuses in. The more units characters have, the more powerful bonuses that they can make use of. Implants are items worn "under the skin" that give skill bonuses and in some cases new abilities. The slots available for implants are generally the same as for regular armor

Players can take part in the game's content either alone, in small temporary teams, as part of a formal organization, or any combination of the three.[18] Organizations are semi-permanent groups, similar to clans in other multi-player games, where players band together for their mutual benefit. The creator and leader of the organization chooses its name, and the governing style used to delegate privileges within such as feudalism, monarchy, departmental, etc.[19] Organizations may also purchase city plots located throughout the game world and place prefabricated buildings on them. These buildings offer a wide range of benefits including skill bonuses, ease of transportation, role-playing venues, launching orbital attacks for use in mass-pvp, and personal automated shops to help members sell items more easily. Non-members can use the "Global Market Search" interface as an in-game search engine for these shop buildings, finding items marked for sale by others.

In addition to killing the variety of enemies found in almost every region of the game world, players also attempt quests or missions to gain experience. Missions are indoor collections of enemies generated dynamically on-demand by the player with options such as how difficult it will be, which tactics players prefer to use, and whether enemies are more likely to be humanoid or creatures. Other more difficult objectives such as raids are designed to require the cooperation of large groups of players to complete. These often involve completing an objective based on past experience, or by involving enough players to succeed by brute force. Members of an organization that own a city plot may also initiate on-demand raids inside their city. The difficulty of these raids is determined dynamically by the game based on the players who initiate it.[22] Missions, as well as some raids and other content, are "instanced" meaning that once a group initiates the content, no other players may interrupt them.

Fighting between players is controlled by the use of "supression gas". Certain zones are assigned a certain level of supression gas that can enable players to engage in player-versus-player (pvp) combat. In zones that contain 100% supression gas nobody can attack anybody else. In 75% gas (the most common level) fighting is allowed by requesting a duel or becoming pvp "flagged" (so-called because the player's name becomes enclosed by a double **asterisk** flag). Pvp flags are temporarily gained by either attacking another pvp flagged player or by attacking certain non-player characters (NPCs) such as guards. In 25% gas it is possible to attack anybody that is within your level range. Lower levels of gas exist but they do not affect general pvp combat. Various levels of gas can be found at "Land Control Areas" which are small areas of land all over the planet in which organizations can fight for the right to build "towers". These towers give skill bonuses to all members of the victorious organization. The number of fields is limited, which encourages groups to fight the incumbent owner for control. It is not necessary to be a member of either the attacking or defending organization to take part in the battle. As most organizations build alliances with other organizations this can often lead to a great many players involved in a single battle, depending upon who is online at that time. Another venue for players to fight each other are the battle-stations, a series of enclosed games that take place between Omni-Tek and the Clans. Each side fights to capture and hold points on a map which increase their score until the winning score is reached. The Lost Eden expansion pack, advertised to enhance combat between players, provides several mechs and other heavy weapons that can be piloted. These vehicles are allowed in most areas, although they are specifically designed for combat on land control areas and the battle-stations. Anarchy Online enforces a limit on the range on levels in which one player may attack another because of the relatively large difference between abilities at different levels.

Day-to-day administration of the game is performed by paid employees known as "Genetic Manipulators"; which are analogous to Game Masters in other online games. This staff is supplemented by an official group of volunteer players named Advisors of Rubi-Ka (ARK). Advisors help administrators answer problem reports in-game, provide new player orientation, and help coordinate both official and player-run events.

Reception:

Anarchy Online's unique proposed features such as the science fiction setting, large playable area, and dynamic missions created significant interest leading up to the release date. The game was one month away from launching when it made its second appearance at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in 2001, and several video game websites such as GameSpot had written articles about the game's development. At the European Computer Trade Show that same year it was awarded Multiplayer Game of Show.

The game's launch problems had a strong negative effect with initial critics. Many larger video game websites, such as Gamespy, chose to wait a month or more before publishing a formal review, and the release is often briefly mentioned in later reviews of the game as a juxtaposition. It went on to be received favorably from most reviewers, averaging a 7.6 out of 10 from GameSpy, GameSpot, and IGN. Caryn Law of GameSpy called it "a promising game with some big technical flaws." IGN described it as "a brilliant, engaging, profound MMORPG," but they added it came with "atrocious technical problems." PC Gamer magazine awarded it with Best Massively Multiplayer Game and described it as "the next great MMORPG."

Anarchy Online's four published expansion packs were reviewed favorably, although not without some criticisms. The Shadowlands expansion was the most critically acclaimed by far, winning several Editor's Choice Awards from IGN, CNet, GameSpot, GameSpy and others after its release in 2003. Critics applauded the size and scope of it, such as Andrew Park of GameSpot who called it "absolutely enormous." Craig Morrison of IGN praised the artistic style of the six new themed areas calling them "visually stunning." Micheal Lafferty of GameZone wrote that it "has depth in spite of its linear nature." The Alien Invasion expansion, released in 2004, did not receive the same abundance of praise as its predecessor, although most scores were above 7 out of 10. The new content it introduced, in critic's eyes, was not designed for new players. GameZone wrote, "...this is definitely targeted toward in-game organizations." They went on to say that it "certainly brings new depth to the title." Most popular gaming websites did not review the Lost Eden expansion released in 2005. The expansion's content itself was well received, but critics pointed to the game's aging interface and visuals compared to newer titles. Sarah Borger of Games Radar wrote that it "make[s] the world hard to interact with," but she went on to acclaim the new features."

Current AO:
    :siren: Don't Flame For Bad Graphics. They Aren't everything! :siren:

:siren:New prettier AO:siren:

:siren:New Engine Video:siren:

Artwork:

Try it and love it. http://anarchyonline.com
    Oh yeah... :siren: It's FREE! :siren:
    But... if you want Shadowlands (the first expansion) it's 5 dollars a month only! The other way to get aditional content is to get all 3 expansions and pay 15 dollars a month.
    :derp: Not free but CHEAP! :derp:
    Essential Web-sites:
    http://wiki.aodevs.com/
    http://auno.org/
    http://www.ao-universe.com/main.php
    Most Important Map Mod:
    http://www.ao-universe.com/main.php?...ad&action=maps
    Download the CSPmap
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    May 2008
    63 Posts
    I have it, despite the bad graphics it's really good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,223 Posts
    I might renew my account sometime, I liked it, just wasn't playing it a lot.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,209 Posts
    My account got frozen a few days ago. I have one 220 and i was working on another one. (216 currently). I got a bit bored of it for a while though, might start paying again in a month or two.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    561 Posts
    I might give this a go

6. Post #6
    August 2008
    190 Posts
    -snip-

7. Post #7
    ZoL
    August 2008
    1 Posts
    So is it completely free or is it a trial for so many days, and then you have to pay?

8. Post #8
    May 2008
    63 Posts
    it's completely free

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,209 Posts
    Basic game is free, you have to pay per month if you want all the expansions. (You'll need the expansions if you want to compete with the best in pvp/pve)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,288 Posts
    I swear we've had about 5 threads on this.
    I'll most likely return to AO once I get benefits.
    Have they released the new graphics engine?

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,209 Posts
    Nope. They are still working on it. They are making a new boosterpack aswell. I'll reactivate my account once one of those two gets released.

12. Post #12
    February 2006
    21 Posts
    I remember playing this back in grade 5, and I'm in grade 10 now. Gotta start playing this again, it's mad fun.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,288 Posts
    Any of you guys know where to buy time cards relatively cheaply?

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    318 Posts
    I just hit level 23 on my engineer. God it's fun running around with a pet level 50. Need to hit the sewers and pick up some good loot.

15. Post #15
    May 2006
    9 Posts
    Remember, subway locks you out at 25.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    305 Posts
    hahaha221 posted:
    I just hit level 23 on my engineer. God it's fun running around with a pet level 50. Need to hit the sewers and pick up some good loot.
    Good loot in subway?

You're funny

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    318 Posts
    Blue_25 posted:
    Good loot in subway?

You're funny

Are you kidding me? The subway has tons of good loot. The pistols that add 5 intelligence each, the rings that add to your XP percentage, the little items that are dependant on Treatment and add to your NCU storage. And lots of other good buffing guns. Each of these items sells for at least 50k. Luckily I found some chump that sold me two pistols that add 5 intelligence each for 30k.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,070 Posts
    i remember when those pistols sold for 200k a pop. Is the economy better in AO? I had 4 characters each at 900mil credits.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    318 Posts
    SomeGuest posted:
    i remember when those pistols sold for 200k a pop. Is the economy better in AO? I had 4 characters each at 900mil credits.

Well I was told by a 5 year veteran player that this certain set of Alien Invasion armor was Three...Hundred...Mill a piece when the expansion first came out. Now it's like 150mil a piece. Still very expensive, but at least it's half the price. :V

Also yeah it seems alot better. I usually see the pistols sell for 30-100k now.

20. Post #20
    May 2006
    9 Posts
    I can get 200k each for those, they have to be quality level 1 though. Concrete cushions can get 250k each and can be up to ql 10.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,533 Posts
    I've tried this game multiple times, but I just could not get addicted to this game, I usually stop at the mainland and I tried to get better exp, but It get's very boring on both quest and missions together. It must take a entire year just to get to level 300 like the rest of the people.

I wish I can try again, find a good to go beginner class and a good guide to help me out on how to quickly speed up the past and know the world so you can master almost everything and know what to do.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    318 Posts
    Yeah that's the one problem with this game, but after you get past all the challenges you really do feel a great sense of accomplishment. Even for a videogame! I'm not gonna suggest any leveling advice seeing as I have the shadowlands expansion and always level there. I only do Rubi-Ka for loot and no-drop items. But yeah the max level is actually 200 if you play free, 220 if you have the shadowlands expansion. And yes...it does take a long time to reach max. It took me awhile to reach 205 on my doctor, but I played on an off alot. When you get off the island forget missions. Save those for later. Get in a group in the subway with a full part and you'll get good xp. Probably as good as Shadowlands seeing as there are so many enemies and you have tons of damage going out.

I'll suggest personally what I think are the best *newbie*, solo friendly classes.

To begin Adventurer is easily the first. They can heal themselves, use amazing weapons, good buffs, and dish out great damage.

Soldier I would honestly not suggest as a new player class. When you get higher level skill points run out very easily until higher levels.

Enforcer is REALLY good for dealing and taking damage. Very easy to play, but when you get higher level alot of people rely on you to tank, which is what I don't like. I took the class to play melee and deal damage, not listen to people bitch because they can't keep me healed trying to tank.

Martial Artist- A very easy class to play, and a very good damage dealer. With his combined nanospells, buffs, and skills, he can deal amazing damage. It becomes very boring though because of the limited attack visuals.

Metaphysicist- This class is damn good. I played a MP that never used guns and is totally focused on pets just like my Engineer. Combine the MP's damage pet, healing pet, and debuffer pet, and you have a really good charater. This class can be very difficult though, especially since many skills are blue colored, which means they cost more skillpoints.

I didn't list some classes because they are not new player friendly and can be very costly. Classes I listed are known to be easiest to play. Playing an MP is really not that hard. It's fun, but it's costly. I would suggest you begin with a Martial Artist or an Enforcer if you want a good experience, deal good damage, and be self reliant.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,209 Posts
    hahaha221 posted:
    Well I was told by a 5 year veteran player that this certain set of Alien Invasion armor was Three...Hundred...Mill a piece when the expansion first came out. Now it's like 150mil a piece. Still very expensive, but at least it's half the price. :V
    I bought some combine scout pieces for 150-200m a piece a few months ago. It's not exactly hard to earn credits as long as you have a 220 toon and access to an orgcity.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,288 Posts
    hahaha221 posted:
    Are you kidding me? The subway has tons of good loot. The pistols that add 5 intelligence each, the rings that add to your XP percentage, the little items that are dependant on Treatment and add to your NCU storage. And lots of other good buffing guns. Each of these items sells for at least 50k. Luckily I found some chump that sold me two pistols that add 5 intelligence each for 30k.
    50k is nothing.

I might become an ARK at some point.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,209 Posts
    Rosek posted:
    50k is nothing.

I might become an ARK at some point.
    They are hiring everyone these days. A friend of mine applied to become an ARK a few weeks ago. He applied with the reason: "I want to become an ARK because the rest of the ARKs suck and know nothing about the game". They made him ARK the next day.

Then again, he was right. Most current ARK's don't know anything about the game.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,288 Posts
    Bowser_nl posted:
    They are hiring everyone these days. A friend of mine applied to become an ARK a few weeks ago. He applied with the reason: "I want to become an ARK because the rest of the ARKs suck and know nothing about the game". They made him ARK the next day.

Then again, he was right. Most current ARK's don't know anything about the game.
    I got rejected last time I played, and I'm not 18 till april.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    305 Posts
    hahaha221 posted:

Also yeah it seems alot better. I usually see the pistols sell for 30-100k now.
    CC still sells for 400-500mil.

Edit:

hahaha221 posted:
    Don't pick MA as your first profession if you're a froob.

The easiest professions are:

Advy
    Enfo
    NT

for new players.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    318 Posts
    Blue_25 posted:
    CC still sells for 400-500mil.

Edit:

Don't pick MA as your first profession if you're a froob.

The easiest professions are:

Advy
    Enfo
    NT

for new players.

I guess NT works. Most of my friends who were froobs found it really difficult because they couldn't figure out how to invest IP correctly. But what's wrong with MA? Most of my froob friends play Martial Artist, and they do great damage. They never have to buy weapons or anything.

I didn't suggest Soldier if you're a froob mainly because getting a decent gun and keeping up with your nano skills and combat skills becomes pretty difficult during mid levels. Back on my Solitus 115 soldier I was running out of IP after Main Attributes and Combat Skills. And getting a good gun at low level is pretty difficult for froobs.

Also I know 50k is nothing god dammit. Although 400mil...Hmm

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,209 Posts
    If you're a froob and want to be fairly decent then pick a profession that uses CoH weapons. Enfo with chiropteras or panther, advy with chiropteras, fixer with blackbirds. Or pick MA and don't use weapons. Don't expect to outdamage those people with expansions though.

30. Post #30
    smelly member
    June 2005
    7,025 Posts
    I always thought Anarchy Online was supposed to have better graphics than Dark Age of Camelot, but looking at it now, not so much.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,209 Posts
    The DooD posted:
    I always thought Anarchy Online was supposed to have better graphics than Dark Age of Camelot, but looking at it now, not so much.
    Those screenshots are probably 7-8 years old and don't really represent the way AO looks currently.

Go here if you want some up to date screenshots of AO

32. Post #32
    November 2008
    4 Posts
    Gameplay = Fail
    Graphics = Fail
    Overall = Youfail.org

( INSTABANNED Used the word youfail.org )
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,288 Posts
    Gonna return to this when I get some money.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,209 Posts
    Yeah i'll probably reactivate soonish. Still need to get those last 4 levels on my NT.

35. Post #35
    August 2008
    25 Posts
    Oh hell yes. This game is epic. I think I'm around level 30 MA, got twenty bucks so I'm considering going for Shadowlands. It's a LOT of content for only five bucks a month, and it's pretty badass to boot.

Yeah, I believe my IGN is still Kyzak if anyone wants to add me.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,288 Posts
    I've reactivated on the 30 free trial thing!

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    305 Posts
    Rosek posted:
    I've reactivated on the 30 free trial thing!
    You mean the indefinite free trial thing?

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,288 Posts
    Blue_25 posted:
    You mean the indefinite free trial thing?
    Nah, they're letting people who have paided accounts play for 30 days free, and they get a 700 paid points bonus at the end of it.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    421 Posts
    Thinking about starting this game up again although I always end up making new characters. The nano techs are awesome anyway.

Either that or thinking about buying Diablo 2 warchest because I seriously miss playing it.

40. Post #40
    May 2008
    267 Posts
    these graphics don't look bad at all!