1. Post #1
    September 2001
    12,401 Posts
    There was a lot of wrong people in the thread I just closed. They believed that witnessing violence does not make you violent. This is wrong.

There was a famous experiment called the bobo doll experiment. Read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobo_doll_experiment.

Everything a child sees it learns. If it sees violence on TV, it leans how to be violent.

Here's the video of it

Seems pretty conclusive to me..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 5Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Internet Detective (HBIED certified)
    August 2007
    7,215 Posts
    So, here's the question. Does this equate to video games?

FYI for garry's sake - Rating him Funny doesn't make you awesome, take into account the thread!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    September 2001
    12,401 Posts
    Of course it does.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,541 Posts
    Crap.
    Everyone rates garry but not me!
    What kind of discrimination is this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    October 2008
    30 Posts
    But if they stopped violence on TV people would be pretty pissed. by which i mean more violent.
    Violence is in our nature anyway, every animal is violent, the jungle is violent.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,376 Posts
    It's one thing to learn to be violent and it's another thing to be violent.

Kids these days, no self control.

7. Post #7
    October 2007
    360 Posts
    Media>People
    And that's how it's gonna be for a long time.
    Everything you see will affect you in somehow.
    Maybe not much but if i see the same commercial about a car for 20 years i would probably buy the car in the end.

I have seen Bruce lee movies and i still remember his tricks. Why? I have no idea.

Maybe it's the same with violence dunno i don't watch tv.

Edit: Why do people buy crap? Because Media says to people that buy everything you see and that economic is complicated so no worry about it.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    9,551 Posts
    Well what's the excuse for violent behaviour before TV? Magazines? and before that? and before that, and that and that and that.

Something always gets blamed.

9. Post #9
    September 2001
    12,401 Posts
    It's not saying that TV invented violence. It's saying that TV makes children think it's acceptable.

10. Post #10
    August 2007
    7,215 Posts
    Heck, I play GTAIV, and I'm only 14, but I don't go out and rape anyone. Hmm. :raise:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    9,551 Posts
    It's more a mix of what is on TV and the general lack of discipline present in todays children thanks to Political correctness and stuff.

How many kids nowadays can tell their parents to fuck off and get away with it, quite a lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    October 2007
    360 Posts
    garry posted:
    It's not saying that TV invented violence. It's saying that TV makes children think it's acceptable.
    Have you been affected by TV or someone around you?
    I know you said the thread up there but there are lots of idiots all over internet.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    143 Posts
    You have a point when it comes to younger children, the parents have responsibility to what there child can watch on tv, however, I have never been influenced to be violent towards other people, I've played hundreds of different games and watched hundreds of movies, and I'm only 14.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    May 2009
    6,850 Posts
    RayvenQ posted:
    Well what's the excuse for violent behaviour before TV? Magazines? and before that? and before that, and that and that and that.

Something always gets blamed.

Think of a time back in the 50's before television was a big thing. How much violence can you picture from back then? Do you think gangs actually killed people or did they just want your lunch money. As you can see media does influence our behavior and can cause violence.

Also, in the bobo doll experiment the kids merely saw the woman punch and kick the doll, but the kids on their own starting using weapons and starting yelling at the doll, which shows that because what you see people doing is worse than what they saw doesn't make the presenter any less guilty.

Edit:

RayvenQ posted:
    How many kids nowadays can tell their parents to fuck off and get away with it, quite a lot.

Not me, I would get beat for saying that.

15. Post #15
    August 2007
    7,215 Posts
    RayvenQ posted:
    Catherine tate, maybe?

I mean, this could all be down to the BBC choosing what programs we have on. Why not just make BBC1 NEWS NEWS NEWS

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,281 Posts
    Ah, the bobo doll experiment was on of several we studied in Psychology this year. Pretty interesting stuff... Fascinating how the behaviour is modelled so easily.

Though I still believe there are other factors to it. A child living a hard, abusive childhood is bound to develop and behave differently to a well-raised child, even if they were both encouraged to model such behaviours.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    9,551 Posts
    leach139 posted:
    Catherine tate, maybe?

I mean, this could all be down to the BBC choosing what programs we have on. Why not just make BBC1 NEWS NEWS NEWS
    Yeah, that'll be a fast track to making kids go mental

Also, anyone notice that the quality of TV shows nowadays have gotten worse.

When I was a kid, there were all sorts of shows aimed at kids, that despite that, still featured moral dilemmas, injury and death.

Pirates of Dark Water, Animals of Farthing Wood, Battletech, Dungeons & Dragons and all sorts of others.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,150 Posts
    leach139 posted:
    Heck, I play GTAIV, and I'm only 14, but I don't go out and rape anyone. Hmm. :raise:
    I have played doom since i was 6 years old, but i still don't think, that violence is sexy.

I know plenty of people, who almost fap while playing some really violent games or watch violent movies.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    9,551 Posts
    Hell I was 12 when GTA first came out, I played it, loved it doing all kinds of things with it, mostly mass murder sprees, but I came out as a well balanced person, despite having other, though unrelated, mental flaws.

20. Post #20
    August 2007
    7,215 Posts
    I don't want to punch anyone when I come off a game, I'm perfectly calm. A bit pumped from adrenaline sometimes, yes, but never "FUCK YOU I'M PUNCHING YOU NOW"

I can understand it's a problem for some people, but :raise:

21. Post #21
    October 2008
    250 Posts
    garry posted:
    As do wife beaters.

i.e. people will learn about violence from other people if not from TV.

22. Post #22
    October 2007
    360 Posts
    I have to admit that gaming and tv have made me swear more.

23. Post #23
    May 2009
    6,850 Posts
    RayvenQ posted:
    Hell I was 12 when GTA first came out, I played it, loved it doing all kinds of things with it, mostly mass murder sprees, but I came out as a well balanced person, despite having other, though unrelated, mental flaws.

But let's pretend that you got into a fight, you would know how to fight back because television has taught you how. I'm sure if there was no television you would still swing a few punches but you wouldn't really know what you were doing.

24. Post #24
    It would desensitize you, but not make you turn into a hardcore born killer with a natural predator instinct.

25. Post #25
    Dennab
    May 2008
    103 Posts
    The censorship system in media is almost corrupted.
    Violence is A-Ok, but anything sexually related like nipples? God forbid.

26. Post #26

August 2007
    104 Posts
    gaming and TV have without a doubt made me swear a lot more, but i have enough brains to know that violence is unacceptable and should stay on the TV or in games.

27. Post #27
    Kikka-2 posted:
    The censorship system in media is almost corrupted.
    Violence is A-Ok, but anything sexually related like nipples? God forbid.
    Just a backwards world in this case.

Edit:If anyone is dumb enough to actually believe that violence in games is actually real, then they should probably be sent to some mental institute.

28. Post #28
    October 2008
    250 Posts
    Children tend to imitate their role-models. And if their role-model is a TV character then that's probably because of bad parenting.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    856 Posts
    abcpea3 posted:
    Children tend to imitate their role-models. And if their role-model is a TV character then that's probably because of bad parenting.
    I don't see anyone dressing up as a purple dinosaur.

Or jumping on turtles and collecting gold coins.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,150 Posts
    abcpea3 posted:
    "oh, batman can fly. that must mean, that also i can fly! :excited:

*on rooftop*

*jumps*

WEEEE!! :excited:

OHSHI---"

31. Post #31
    Meet the Pyro
    April 2006
    4,486 Posts
    Garry I grew up playing Unreal Tournament and Quake...why haven't I turned serial killer yet?

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,236 Posts
    It's not that it causes us to go around saying "I'M GONNA FUCK YOU UP" for no reason, it's that it makes us think less of it as permanently damaging.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,354 Posts
    Human logic isn't built-in at birth. It grows gradually. It would make sense to believe that if a child plays a video game without being told beforehand that it's wrong, the kid might take it more seriously than an adult would.

Basically, I think that children need to be taught that violence is wrong before they're exposed to things that may indicate that it's right.

People tend to have a very black-and-white view on it though - violence in games/tv/etc won't magically transform anyone into a monster.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,541 Posts
    But what about this:

There were gladiators in ancient times and people watched them to kill themselves.
    So wouldn't that make the viewers violent?

And in medival times there were public executions.

So i think it's more civilisaized to show acted violence rather than real.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,150 Posts
    Metanoia posted:
    Human logic isn't built-in at birth. It grows gradually. It would make sense to believe that if a child plays a video game without being told beforehand that it's wrong, the kid might take it more seriously than an adult would.

Basically, I think that children need to be taught that violence is wrong before they're exposed to things that may indicate that it's right.

I got always beaten on school, teachers didn't give a fuck about it.
    When i defended myself (punched the bullyer), i were told, that it was wrong.
    Basically, i did a wrong thing, since i din't let bullyers to kill me.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    72 Posts
    Violence in media only really affects children greatly. Older people may be affected, however not as much as a suggestible child may be.

37. Post #37
    May 2007
    20 Posts
    garrys mod is violent

thread over

38. Post #38
    February 2005
    1,031 Posts
    garry posted:
    That's why we have the age rating. Don't take it seriously? Suffer the consecuenses.

39. Post #39
    September 2001
    12,401 Posts
    InsanePyro posted:
    Garry I grew up playing Unreal Tournament and Quake...why haven't I turned serial killer yet?
    Because you already knew that killing people was wrong. If you were born into a room and didn't see any other humans, and all you'd ever seen was UT and Quake.. then at the age of 18 you saw another human and you had a gun, I'm guessing your first instinct would be to shoot them.

I'm not talking about 12 year olds. I'm talking about under 5 years old.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    13,926 Posts
    This is just more made up crap. I've seen my share of violence on T.V. I saw Saving Private Ryan. I didn't feel that violence was acceptable, I didn't feel like going back in time and shooting people, I didn't feel like getting violent at all.