1. Post #121
    July 2005
    66 Posts
    This thread should be called 'Garry annoys the nerds'

2. Post #122
    October 2007
    217 Posts
    It's good to see this, getting tired of people believing violence has no effect on people. :)

3. Post #123
    Old Member
    January 2006
    350 Posts
    Killuah posted:
    It's not an extra way, after all, they are still watching it. It is the same way.
    Mikfoz, an extra way would be being beaten themselves, that's an extra way.
    It's an extra opportunity to watch violence; especially if they really enjoy and have lots of opportunity to watch it.

Real life violence doesn't happen all that often compared to an action/horror movie.

4. Post #124
    Gold Member

November 2005
    11,757 Posts
    Bad Parenting causes Violence in real life and lack of punishment at school.

Edit:

mikfoz posted:
    Real life violence doesn't happen all that often compared to an action/horror movie.
    I take it you've not been to manchester on a Friday night?

5. Post #125
    Old Member
    January 2006
    350 Posts
    radioactive posted:
    Bad Parenting causes Violence in real life and lack of punishment at school.
    A particular example of bad parenting being deserting your kids in front of the TV or games console all day to pacify them and not giving a shit what they watch/play.

Edit:

radioactive posted:
    I take it you've not been to manchester on a Friday night?
    Neither have you, if that's what you think; and neither have most kids at an age for which this is a concern.

FYI probably a damned sight more times than you

6. Post #126
    Gold Member

November 2005
    11,757 Posts
    mikfoz posted:
    A particular example of bad parenting being deserting your kids in front of the TV or games console all day to pacify them and not giving a shit what they watch/play.
    Well at the moment it is very cold outside so people would rather stay inside and inside it gets boring unless you do those things.

7. Post #127
    Old Member
    January 2006
    350 Posts
    radioactive posted:
    Well at the moment it is very cold outside so people would rather stay inside and inside it gets boring unless you do those things.
    Unless you have a good parent who doesn't immediately switch on the TV and then fuck off and ignore you.

8. Post #128
    Gold Member

November 2005
    11,757 Posts
    mikfoz posted:
    Neither have you, if that's what you think; and neither have most kids at an age for which this is a concern.

FYI probably a damned sight more times than you
    Well just walking by to get the bus but the pubs have fights coming out of them, drunks falling into the canal, old ladies getting hit by busses.

Quite funny to watch actualy.

9. Post #129
    Old Member
    January 2006
    350 Posts
    radioactive posted:
    Well just walking by to get the bus but the pubs have fights coming out of them, drunks falling into the canal, old ladies getting hit by busses.

Quite funny to watch actualy.
    Yeah, this happens on a daily basis every few minutes.

What was I thinking?

It's directly comparable to a film with a body/dismemberment count in the mid twenties.

10. Post #130
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    4,042 Posts
    garry posted:
    Because you already knew that killing people was wrong. If you were born into a room and didn't see any other humans, and all you'd ever seen was UT and Quake.. then at the age of 18 you saw another human and you had a gun, I'm guessing your first instinct would be to shoot them.

I'm not talking about 12 year olds. I'm talking about under 5 years old.
    My brother's been playing Counter-Strike and the occassional GTA session since he was about 3 (my fault), and he functions normally with other children and adults.

11. Post #131
    Gold Member

November 2005
    11,757 Posts
    mikfoz posted:
    Yeah, this happens on a daily basis every few minutes.

What was I thinking?

It's directly comparable to a film with a body/dismemberment count in the mid twenties.
    Brain-Dead?

I think?

12. Post #132
    Old Member
    January 2006
    350 Posts
    RayvenQ posted:
    How many kids nowadays can tell their parents to fuck off and get away with it, quite a lot.
    Not bloody mine, they can't!

Edit:

radioactive posted:
    Brain-Dead?

I think?
    Explain. And it'd better be good.

13. Post #133
    Jaykin' Bacon: Episode Three
    February 2005
    23,427 Posts
    garry posted:
    I don't think voilence is an emotion. And you all need to get it through your thick skulls that we're talking about young children here. Impressionable kids.

Oh, you watched Total Recall when you were 14 and you haven't killed anyone yet? Must be fine! Fuck it, all this actual research must be bullshit.

Smoking doesn't give you cancer. I know people who have smoked since they were 15 and they haven't died yet.
    why are you getting so worked up over this

14. Post #134
    February 2005
    1,035 Posts
    mikfoz posted:
    Not bloody mine, they can't!

Edit:

You mean your grandchildren, aye?

15. Post #135
    Old Member
    January 2006
    350 Posts
    Crazy posted:
    You mean your grand children, aye?
    Yeah. My 14 year old eldest son has 3 grown-up children :)

16. Post #136
    Gold Member

November 2005
    11,757 Posts
    mikfoz posted:
    Well I can't remember that well seen I wasn't that well but I think it was Brain-Dead, or Dead-Alive.

17. Post #137
    June 2005
    810 Posts
    mikfoz posted:
    My mum did that.

Well, to a degree anyway.

18. Post #138
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,468 Posts
    mikfoz posted:
    It's an extra opportunity to watch violence; especially if they really enjoy and have lots of opportunity to watch it.

That's true.

Still, the media itself can't be blamed for being watched.

It's still the parents dumping their kids in front of the TV/PC who are the final factor.

Edit:

chris0132 posted:
    My mum did that.

Well, to a degree anyway.
    Explains a lot.

You are a social criple.

At least as far as I can judge from your forum posts. Which isn't a lot but still pretty impressive.

19. Post #139
    Gold Member

November 2005
    11,757 Posts
    Anyway I know someone who's mom stops him watching television after 1 hour.
    And only on a computer for 1/2 hour.
    But he is a bit too weird because of that, you know sort of Autistic.

20. Post #140
    June 2005
    810 Posts
    Killuah posted:
    Still, the media itself can't be blamed for being watched.
    That's like saying a murderer can't be blamed for stabbing people.

It's broadcast with the intent of people watching it.

21. Post #141
    August 2005
    15,468 Posts
    chris0132 posted:
    That's like saying a murderer can't be blamed for stabbing people.

It's broadcast with the intent of people watching it.
    No it's like saying a stabbed person can not be blamed for being stabbed.

The TV is not the active one in this case.
    It broadcasts what people like to watch, in return people look more what is being broadcasted and so on and so on.

22. Post #142
    Gold Member

November 2005
    11,757 Posts
    Killuah posted:
    No it's like saying a stabbed person can not be blamed for being stabbed.

The TV is not the active one in this case.
    It broadcasts what people like to watch, in return people look more what is being broadcasted and so on and so on.
    Well the Stabbed person probably did set off the Murder in the first place.

23. Post #143
    August 2005
    15,468 Posts
    Still the parents are the last authority.

24. Post #144
    February 2005
    1,035 Posts
    mikfoz posted:
    Yeah. My 14 year old eldest son has 3 grown-up children :)
    I knew you taught them well. :4chan:

25. Post #145
    Old Member
    January 2006
    350 Posts
    radioactive posted:
    Well I can't remember that well seen I wasn't that well but I think it was Brain-Dead, or Dead-Alive.
    Hmmm...

The point is that I have yet to witness anyone being shot or stabbed and bleeding all over the place in real life.

I don't think this makes me unique.

There's certainly a strong case for not exposing young kids to violent material. If they witness it then a good parent would actually explain to the child all the shit about not taking it as real and so on.

The fact is that a lot of kids who are really screwed up have virtually no boundaries and are completely desensitised to violence because their retarded parents don't have a fucking clue what they're watching on their PCs and TVs in their rooms a 4 in the morning with their earplugs in. But what really matters is they don't get in the way of the adults getting drunk or going to the pub or whatever. Of course the kids are watching violent stuff because it's exciting; but nobody is actually aware of the fact they are or doesn't care so there's nobody challenging the views they develop about whether it's normal or not.

If I saw my kids laughing at someone having their head blown off on a film I'd challenge it - not in an arsey way but just starting a conversation to see why they thought it was funny and hopefully come to some sort of acceptable conclusion - because we actually sit down and watch stuff together. So I've no problem now they're older with them watching something like the Bourne Supremacy where some guy gets strangled really brutally because I put in the work to get them to think healthily about it.

So I guess I'm kind of standing with a foot in both camps. It's a combination of shitty supervision and allowing kids unrestricted access to violent material at a young age that's the problem.

26. Post #146
    August 2005
    15,468 Posts
    I just don't think taking away the responsibility from the parents and blaming it all on the medium that provides the violence, be it real life or TV is a good move.

Sure the media itself is guilty too.
    A lot.

They broadcast the dumbest shit and violence and titties and what not, but this can easily filtered by parents who are actively raising their children.

That's why Mikfoz kids can't tell him to shut the fuck up.

27. Post #147
    November 2007
    133 Posts
    It all comes down to the parents. Don't let your children become psychopaths.

28. Post #148
    Gold Member

November 2005
    11,757 Posts
    mikfoz posted:
    Well for a 14 year old I have good self-control because I already take into account all those words you said but you do make a good point there, maybe new parents should be informed about this if they don't know but if they don't know should they really be having kids?

29. Post #149
    November 2008
    9 Posts
    garry posted:
    Because you already knew that killing people was wrong. If you were born into a room and didn't see any other humans, and all you'd ever seen was UT and Quake.. then at the age of 18 you saw another human and you had a gun, I'm guessing your first instinct would be to shoot them.

I'm not talking about 12 year olds. I'm talking about under 5 years old.
    Insanepyro.

Notice how he called you 12

30. Post #150
    Gold Member

November 2005
    11,757 Posts
    Killuah posted:
    They broadcast the dumbest shit and violence and titties and what not, but this can easily filtered by parents who are actively raising their children.
    You haven't read The Sun have you? It's filled with them.

31. Post #151
    Old Member
    January 2006
    350 Posts
    radioactive posted:
    Well for a 14 year old I have good self-control because I already take into account all those words you said but you do make a good point there, maybe new parents should be informed about this if they don't know but if they don't know should they really be having kids?
    The thing is that you have kids as a direct result of having sex; not as a result of you passing some parenting exam.

32. Post #152
    August 2008
    54 Posts
    I support violence, without violence mankind would not survive.

33. Post #153
    Gold Member

November 2005
    11,757 Posts
    mikfoz posted:
    The thing is that you have kids as a direct result of having sex; not as a result of you passing some parenting exam.
    They could take the kids away.

34. Post #154
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,096 Posts
    It's nature. Population control. Other species kill their own kind all the time. Often for no reason.

35. Post #155
    Old Member
    January 2006
    350 Posts
    radioactive posted:
    They could take the kids away.
    And put them where?

36. Post #156
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,869 Posts
    Those kids are 6 year olds, that's completely different.

37. Post #157
    Gold Member

November 2005
    11,757 Posts
    mikfoz posted:
    And put them where?
    Your house?
    That'll teach them discipline. hehe

But you could send the kids to work in African Diamond mines or gun factories or Mills like in the 1800's?

38. Post #158
    Old Member
    January 2006
    350 Posts
    kirderf posted:
    Those kids are 6 year olds, that's completely different.
    Different to what?

That's the point being made. Not to show violent content to very young children unrestricted or unsupervised.

39. Post #159
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,096 Posts
    NeoViolence posted:
    I support violence, without violence mankind would not survive.
    Agreed. Not to an extreme, but if we(humans) become too overpopulated, the Earth will retaliate and let loose some incurable strain of virus(or humans will do some stupid experiment that will create it) that will have a 90%+ fatality rate, just to keep our species in check.

40. Post #160
    Old Member
    January 2006
    350 Posts
    radioactive posted:
    Your house?
    That'll teach them discipline. hehe

But you could send the kids to work in African Diamond mines or gun factories or Mills like in the 1800's?
    Yep... why the fuck is the world in the hands of dumb adults when 14-year-olds have all the answers?