1. Post #1
    January 2005
    21 Posts
    [release][tab]Name:[/tab] Gm_Bigcity

[tab]Version:[/tab] 2.0

[tab]Description:[/tab] A big open city building map

[tab]Requirements:[/tab] none

[tab]Download:[/tab] http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=58584 [/release]

Gm_Bigcity
    Basically just a really big city that's good for building contraptions and getting lost in. So big in fact that it has hit pretty much every source limit possible at one point or another. A bit blocky but it's HUGE!

Features:

- It's pretty big
    - Custom soundscapes
    - Some of the doors work (teleport you to the roof)
    - A couple of indoor areas
    - AI nodes. NPCs will chase you through the streets!
    - Lots of places to build
    - Business, residential and warehouse themed districts
    - Garbage dump
    - A serial graffiti artist?
    - Mysterious invisible trains and cars and dogs
    - A weird open air sewage plant. Don't ask me.
    - Plenty of dark alleys if you're into that sort of thing
    - And much much more

History:
    This is actually sort of my first map, the one I learned Hammer on. It's just been getting bigger and bigger over time as I learned mapping techniques. I think a version of bigcity was leaked a while back but I never released it officially due to some pretty terrible crashing troubles. Yesterday I decided on a whim to recompile it with all the latest tools and it seems to work much better now! I was so happy that I decided to finally release it here on facepunch instead of having it rot on my hard drive. This may be a mistake.

Some of the buildings are based off of buildings in huegcity, the map that inspired me in the first place. I still had to butcher a lot of nice things to get this map to compile so the lighting and cubemaps are very spotty in places.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Mapping King x 71Useful x 44Artistic x 16Agree x 7Dumb x 4Optimistic x 4Winner x 3Disagree x 2Bad Spelling x 2Funny x 2Late x 2Bad Reading x 2Friendly x 2Informative x 1Zing x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,710 Posts
    Oh my god I'm cumming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny x 43Agree x 11Dumb x 8Informative x 8Mapping King x 3Optimistic x 3Friendly x 1Bad Reading x 1Artistic x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    July 2007
    84 Posts
    Whoa. Huge map. The buildings don't look half-assed. You deserve a mapping king.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 35Disagree Disagree x 2Mapping King Mapping King x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,710 Posts
    Nice map downloading now! Imagine mapping out the inside of every building.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    290 Posts
    Looks good, Downloading now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6

September 2008
    93 Posts
    Garrysmod.org will not let me download it.
    EDIT: its working now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb x 11Optimistic x 1Late x 1Funny x 1Mapping King x 1Zing x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,929 Posts
    The last 2 thumbnails will not open properly. Keeps timing out on me.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,710 Posts
    Man when I get home from school, I'm gonna get lost as shit and play hide and seek with my friends in this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny x 8Dumb x 3Optimistic x 1Informative x 1Zing x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    263 Posts
    OH YES! I was wondering when the finished version would come out! I had the leak, and it was great itself...

EDIT:
    Nevermind, wrong map- But good none the less!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Facepunch iSeries!
    November 2007
    4,363 Posts
    Holy shit..

Going on my servers rotation NOW..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Late Late x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    June 2008
    256 Posts
    Did you steal any of this from gm_simplicity or huegcity?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Late Late x 2Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Main Force Patrolin'
    August 2006
    5,248 Posts
    Large Aqua posted:
    Did you steal any of this from gm_simplicity or huegcity?
    i was about to say that this map was released ages ago,how do i know this isen't a glory seeker looking for attention?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Late Late x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    January 2005
    21 Posts
    I said a lot of buildings are based off huegcity, I actually learned hammer originally by studying the vmf that came with that map. Much credit to iHax for huegcity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Late Late x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,689 Posts
    :megamonoc

15. Post #15
    September 2005
    151 Posts
    Bloody nice map mate, but what does this mean? "- Mysterious invisible trains and cars and dogs" :uhoh:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    February 2008
    202 Posts
    Does this need Ep2 to run?

I have It but my brother doesn't. I want to play on it with him. :excited:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Friendly Friendly x 1Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    September 2008
    296 Posts
    The requirements say none.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,603 Posts
    Wow, you really outdid yourself for a first map. Keep up the good work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

19. Post #19
    September 2005
    151 Posts
    snuwoods posted:
    Wow, you really outdid yourself for a first map. Keep up the good work.
    Nevermind :uhoh:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member

October 2005
    100 Posts
    wow awesome map dude! i love maps like huegcity

21. Post #21
    January 2005
    4 Posts
    Thank you.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    770 Posts
    Is there a different place to download this from, garrysmod.org is taking forever :argh:

23. Post #23
    September 2007
    22 Posts
    Is there any way you could tone down the lighting, it looks almost fullbright looking at the screenshots (If it's impossible because of map size or something forgive me). Other than that it's awesome.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    4,810 Posts
    I. LOVE. YOU.
    I have played the "leaked" version of this map i assume and i LOVE that map it's so good for. . . well everything! People, get this map now!

25. Post #25
    July 2007
    218 Posts
    Fuck garrysmod.org won't work, got a mirror? Looks even sexier than simplicity.

26. Post #26
    September 2008
    79 Posts
    is there any chance that an rp version will be released? like making some buildings enter able, like an apartment/apartments, store(s),(mall), and a mini office?,I'm just asking

27. Post #27
    June 2008
    3,707 Posts
    Oh shit!
    It's another BigWig map!
    Lets party like we did when Obama won!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    BmB
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,569 Posts
    The moire!!
    It looks nice.
    But THE MOIRE!

29. Post #29
    August 2007
    757 Posts
    Oh god, I was 18 hours late. Downloading! :D

30. Post #30
    September 2007
    398 Posts
    Create NAV file, + Make it night + Put in Left 4 Dead

=

AWESOME!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    October 2007
    19 Posts
    Gmod.org DL is taking ages, any chance of a Filefront or FPSB link?

EDIT:
    Nevermind it DL ed just as i clicked post :S

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,682 Posts
    I just swung around this map with the ninja rope SWep, Fucking awesome. Imma go look for a server with both the map and the SWep, and then i'll do some ninja hide'n seek :3:

3dit:
    I didn't check this myself, I just saw it in console... There were some kind of error with the cubemaps, so the game loaded standard cubemaps instead...

33. Post #33
    December 2008
    60 Posts
    whee posted:
    Create NAV file, + Make it night + Put in Left 4 Dead

=

AWESOME!
    DO THIS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    November 2008
    322 Posts
    Mapping out half of the buildings for RP, I'll dream about this tonight.

35. Post #35
    September 2005
    22 Posts
    You forgot to mention the book depository building. All the cool kids hang out there B]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    5,235 Posts
    WHAT THE FUCK
    Good city map?! oh god
    got my DL and mapping king ofcourse
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Glod Menber
    June 2008
    6,682 Posts
    Yes! YES! YES! You are awesome! Mapping king'd!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,242 Posts
    I came into this thread expecting a crappy copy+pasted, generic building in even rows over and over.

Nice job, have a Mapping King. :howdy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    GET IN THE BACK OF THE VAN
    March 2007
    2,180 Posts
    awinnarisme posted:
    Fuck garrysmod.org won't work, got a mirror? Looks even sexier than simplicity.
    Agreed, Please Make a alt mirror gmod.org downloads at 8KB/Sec

40. Post #40
    April 2007
    1,180 Posts
    QUESTION!

Does the second picture show the entire map and it transitions over to a 3D skybox or is everything in the picture the actual playable map itself?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Estonia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)