1. Post #281
    October 2006
    216 Posts
    hmm strange.. for collision you made them all one object and applied them to 1 smooth group? really don't think it'll make a difference but.. could :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #282
    December 2007
    1,636 Posts

This is how the jointmerging is currently set up. I'm going to fiddle around with it, but this is basically what's going on. As the legend indicates, blue bones are bones with an assigned collision model, white bones are those WITHOUT an assigned collision model. The red lines indicate $jointmerge as it stands now. The bones with a bright red dot on their side of the connecting line are the bones that are controlling, as opposed to being controlled.

For further clarification, this is how the jointmerging looks in the QC:

Code:
    $jointmerge "tail1" "root"
    	$jointmerge "spine2" "spine1"
    	$jointmerge "spine2" "neck"
    	$jointmerge "tail1" "tail2"
    	$jointmerge "neck" "r_tong_4"
    	$jointmerge "neck" "cent_tong_4"
    	$jointmerge "neck" "l_tong_4"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

3. Post #283
    October 2006
    216 Posts
    hmm have you tried using ik in max instead of $jointmerge, im pretty sure it works.. maybe. lol

4. Post #284
    December 2007
    1,636 Posts
    IK?

That's an interesting thought I suppose... Except I want the uncollided bones controlled by the other bones ONLY when it's a ragdoll. I don't really think I want IK to be interfering while it's an snpc. Aside from that, I haven't the slightest idea of what might happen if the uncollided tongue bones were left to do as they wished under an IK chain. Besides, I think IK chains can only have three bones involved in Source, so those tongues are out of the question anyway.

5. Post #285
    October 2006
    216 Posts
    im just trying to remember how i use ik, to be honest i don't have a clue how this thing will move, by sounds of it you know a bit about ik so i wont go into what i no lol. but reading over what you just said i think i understand pretty confusing stuff... i personally hate rigging.

6. Post #286
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    267 Posts
    Quick question about the slinky worm, can each of those pieces be grabbed and dragged away from the rest of the ragdoll without effecting the rest of it?

7. Post #287
    December 2007
    1,636 Posts
    Quick question about the slinky worm, can each of those pieces be grabbed and dragged away from the rest of the ragdoll without effecting the rest of it?
    Yes, each part behaves as though unlinked from the rest of the skeleton, and I can move the pieces around as I wish. The old broken stalker ragdoll from HL2 behaved similarly.

8. Post #288
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    179 Posts
    Will you be able to shoot the worms but it causing it not to kill the Tremor Creature. Like if you shot the worms, he grow more or something.

9. Post #289
    December 2008
    138 Posts
    I don't think its possbile to make him grow larger after shooting him, If you did get that to work it would prolly be very glitchy and unstable.

10. Post #290
    December 2007
    1,636 Posts
    Will you be able to shoot the worms but it causing it not to kill the Tremor Creature. Like if you shot the worms, he grow more or something.
    Why on earth would a graboid grow when you shoot it? Have you seen the Tremors films?

11. Post #291
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,017 Posts
    I think he means will you be able to shoot off the tongues and have the graboid grow them back again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

12. Post #292
    December 2007
    1,636 Posts
    Oh. Well no, I don't think he'll be able to have them blown off. I could shrink their bones until it LOOKED like they had, but that would be hard to maintain in other animations. I definitely intend to make it so that he retracts his tongues when you shoot them, as a means of escaping.

13. Post #293
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,861 Posts
    Yeah... I'm fine with them staying on or retreating... I want to see if you can even make him strike from underground.

14. Post #294
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    267 Posts
    Yes, each part behaves as though unlinked from the rest of the skeleton, and I can move the pieces around as I wish. The old broken stalker ragdoll from HL2 behaved similarly.
    Are you sure the bones are linked in the modeling program? They have to be or this will happen, or it could be a compiling problem.

There is a way to indirectly link them but I'm not sure how it's done.

15. Post #295
    December 2007
    1,636 Posts
    Are you sure the bones are linked in the modeling program? They have to be or this will happen, or it could be a compiling problem.

There is a way to indirectly link them but I'm not sure how it's done.
    The links themselves are fine. I even re-imported the .smd; all parented correctly.

16. Post #296
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    3,788 Posts
    I cant wait till i get to play with these! keep up the good work
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #297
    December 2007
    1,636 Posts

"Son of a bitch...SON OF A BIIIITCH!!!"

Hehe, how 'bout THEM apples :)

I decided to change which bones controlled the collision models, switching two of them. I changed the one controlled by "tail1" to "root", and changed "spine2" to "spine1".

I even got rid of the $jointmerge bits of the QC, and this time it turned out right :)

Now I just have to figure out why the pose I chose for the ragdoll smd isn't working (ie, why the tongues are still fully extended).

Then again, I set the reference to be posed with the tongues extended, but that's only because I wanted them ready for animation in Max. I suppose I could simply pose the reference the way I want them in the ragdoll, and then when I animate it, I'll just use the extended version as a template and cut out the middle-man...Yeah, I think I'll do that and see what happens. Think I'll treat myself to some TF2 first :)

Oh, and yeah, the graboid IS half inside the ground. Not due to error, but because I made it that way using the "nocollide:world" stool on some of his body segments.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #298
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,017 Posts
    Oh awesome!

19. Post #299
    October 2008
    65 Posts
    Awesome, thought the worms' texture is too contrasting (the transition from beak to body is abrupt and un-natural looking). May I have a crack at editing the texture to see what kind'a damage I can do?

20. Post #300
    December 2007
    1,636 Posts
    Awesome, thought the worms' texture is too contrasting (the transition from beak to body is abrupt and un-natural looking). May I have a crack at editing the texture to see what kind'a damage I can do?
    The body is leathery and the head is bony; I dunno. The texture is by Stratos. See what he thinks.

21. Post #301
    December 2007
    1,636 Posts

"Say 'nom'!"

"Omnomnomnom...!"

Ah...And there we have it =D

Tongues shortened as desired, and they flop around inside it's mouth as good as I could have hoped =)

Bullets wound it nicely, and I even have it set so that the head and it's children have the physical properties of "armor flesh". I'm not entirely satisfied with that though, because the result makes it look and sound like metal when struck, and there are no bullet marks of any sort. Good thing is however, that the tongues still behave flesh-like, since they're parented to the neck, not the head.

Now I just have to figure out how to ensure the Shrieker gets battle scars of it's own...

And after that, it's time to start the Ass Blaster! I might hold off on that just to ensure the materials and such are in working order. I'm considering recompiling the references so that they have different materials applied to parts of their bodies that have different levels of glossiness and specularity. No need to alter UVW's or use different textures; the same texture file will be used on them all regardless. All that will be changed is that each material will have a different setting. That way, the tongues can look slimy while the shelled head has a mild dusty sheen, while the body is flat like earth. For the Shrieker, it's head can be softly lit and bony, while it's heat sensor can be glossy and look flesh-like.

It's subtleties like that which I don't see in too many custom ragdolls, particularly ones that were modeled by a player, and not ported from another game. For instance, I never much liked the materials for the TRex model. Oh sure, the texture was alright, but the material was an odd choice indeed. A uniform bumpy sheen that made it look like it was made of porcelain from odd angles, especially in the dark; not organic or fleshlike at all.

22. Post #302

February 2008
    18 Posts

And after that, it's time to start the Ass Blaster!
    Do want :D

23. Post #303

September 2005
    46 Posts
    About time somebody made this.
    I agree, these are well done.

24. Post #304
    August 2008
    456 Posts
    It's great to see it actually finished(Unless you feel there's more to do) :)

25. Post #305
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,861 Posts
    I think the spike textures need a fleshy base so they appear to be sticking out of the fleash or growing from it rather than pasted on... they pop out too much at the moment, but if you give the textures a fleshy base it would seem to fix it I think.

26. Post #306
    December 2008
    138 Posts
    Sexy!

27. Post #307
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    5,777 Posts
    Yay,Graboid! Will you release him as a standalone model, while working on the SNPC? Also, it looks like a baby "something", the way it's head is black but it's body is all white.

Altogether now~! "AAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW"

28. Post #308
    December 2007
    1,636 Posts
    I dunno, maybe. That'll be after it's materials are ready though. I'd rather release it as a pack than individually, so that'll also be after the Ass Blaster is done. I'll probably start it today, and I'll look into the whole "different materials for different parts" deal.

29. Post #309
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,785 Posts
    this is sooooo asking for a tremors gamemode!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

30. Post #310
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,017 Posts
    tremors gamemode!
    This.

31. Post #311
    December 2008
    138 Posts
    Someone find me a model I can reskin to be BURT!

32. Post #312
    December 2008
    138 Posts
    :( It's not full size so its harder to see.

33. Post #313
    March 2006
    4,109 Posts
    That striped background is annoying as hell
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #314
    December 2008
    138 Posts
    That striped background is annoying as hell
    Not really the point of the picture anyways.
    But if you would like to design a full featured sexy layout for a picture I made when I was bored be my guest :D

Anyways, J-Dude is working on the ass blaster as we speak.

35. Post #315
    December 2007
    1,636 Posts
    I love that friggin' cowboy hat...

Well, as you can see, though it's still being tweaked, Frito and I have been working on giving the creatures different vmt's per area. The Graboid's beak and mouth look at the moment like they were dipped in laminate, but that's being worked on. It looks best with the pic with the cow-boid ;)

Meanwhile, I got cracking on a certain fart-lighting cephalopod. Thankfully, I have some of the best references a modeler could ask for, so it's coming along rather quickly. Here's a heavy WIP:

36. Post #316
    August 2008
    456 Posts
    That's awesome Frito XD One graboid please :D And from what i can remember, that's a nice Ass Blaster start.

37. Post #317
    December 2008
    138 Posts
    That's awesome Frito XD One graboid please :D And from what i can remember, that's a nice Ass Blaster start.
    *Hands him a graboid and a contract to sign*
    Thanks though.

Edit:
    Screen shot dump if anyone wants to see a few more pics of the graboid.
    I added
    A glow to the shell
    Phong to the tonges
    And nothing to the body.

*I already toned down the shell glow, It wasnt fixed in these screens though.*

38. Post #318
    August 2008
    456 Posts
    The phong is a nice touch but, i think it's a lil too much. I don't think it should be glowing white :P

39. Post #319
    August 2008
    137 Posts
    I want that graboid hat

40. Post #320
    December 2007
    1,636 Posts
    The phong is a nice touch but, i think it's a lil too much. I don't think it should be glowing white :P
    That's been fixed, no worries.