1. Post #1241
    December 2007
    1,637 Posts
    Alright folks!

The holidays are done, school is over and fan-film production is postponed till further notice!

So given this new abundance of free time outside of work, I think it's Tremors-Time once again!

I'm going to be at work trying to finish or remake the Shrieker texture at the moment, but if anyone with more texturing experience wants to step forward, I'll certainly step aside!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

2. Post #1242
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,017 Posts
    Nice to hear some news mate, thought this had finally gone under!

Glad to see this back in my subscription notifications :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

3. Post #1243
    December 2007
    1,637 Posts
    Finding more reference pics, and realizing that having the actual movies in a high quality format will do lots towards capturing frames and grafting proper parts together. Working on that; trying to finish Stratos' texture as opposed to starting from scratch, though I will if this doesn't pan-out.

4. Post #1244
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,017 Posts
    Well, good luck man, I'm just happy to see this get back in gear, hope the other regulars didn't forget about this

5. Post #1245
    December 2007
    1,637 Posts
    Well, good luck man, I'm just happy to see this get back in gear, hope the other regulars didn't forget about this
    More like, hope the other regulars aren't too pissed off by my laziness, delays and previous lack of texturing skills.

All the same though, thanks.

6. Post #1246
    November 2009
    470 Posts
    If the graboid ever gets into an snpc you need to make the little rc cars as a swep,then have the npc go after it. I could see this being an epic gamemode, like Tremors Survival or Trouble in Tremor Town.

7. Post #1247
    December 2007
    1,637 Posts
    Well I've added textures to the middle-jaw, and the inside of the mouth, but the bottom of the feet are proving very elusive.

If anyone can find any good pics or references of, say, the bottoms of TRex feet or something approximate, it'd be helpful...

8. Post #1248
    Well I've added textures to the middle-jaw, and the inside of the mouth, but the bottom of the feet are proving very elusive.

If anyone can find any good pics or references of, say, the bottoms of TRex feet or something approximate, it'd be helpful...
    holy crap, i havent seen this in a while. Hey it been a while. Has that Graboid been released. or Is still being worked on?

9. Post #1249
    December 2008
    78 Posts

Do you think any of these can work?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...:429,r:15,s:29

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...t:429,r:14,s:0

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...t:429,r:5,s:31

10. Post #1250
    December 2007
    1,637 Posts
    Jesus Christ...

Let me tell you dudes, it may not seem like it, but the body is a lot of work.

I mean, I'm finally making some progress on it and all, but while I've definitely modified some of Stratos' work for the better here and there, getting the body to visibly match all these other parts is a pain. I'm doing a lot of hand-painting to blend this all together.

Do you think any of these can work?
    Still need a bottom for the foot, but I have a feeling I can improvise rather easily. That middle one looks interesting, though it's still a bit too "scaly" for the rubbery-hide look of Shrieker skin...

holy crap, i havent seen this in a while. Hey it been a while. Has that Graboid been released. or Is still being worked on?
    Released? What part, the ragdoll? The ragdoll is here:

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/893...rs-quot-Models

11. Post #1251
    December 2008
    78 Posts
    Jesus Christ...

Let me tell you dudes, it may not seem like it, but the body is a lot of work.

I mean, I'm finally making some progress on it and all, but while I've definitely modified some of Stratos' work for the better here and there, getting the body to visibly match all these other parts is a pain. I'm doing a lot of hand-painting to blend this all together.

Still need a bottom for the foot, but I have a feeling I can improvise rather easily. That middle one looks interesting, though it's still a bit too "scaly" for the rubbery-hide look of Shrieker skin...

Let me know, I think I find more.

12. Post #1252
    Jesus Christ...

Sounds good. Keep up the good work

13. Post #1253
    December 2007
    1,637 Posts
    Ulgh...

Holy shit...I am sooooo fucking tired...

It's 3:40 in the morning...I still need to add the feet, but fuck it, I'll do that tomorrow...I'm whiped out.

Anyway, I'll give you a glimpse of a few renders and the texture itself...

Let me know what you think...but please be gentle about it...

Yeah, I know the body doesn't look all that much like the tan-desert coloration you typically see in Tremors 2. The problem was, official references I got based off the actual 3D model used in the films gives the Shriekers a dark-gray upper body, and a tan-ish lower body and lower legs. Plus, Stratos' texture gives the points where the UV's of the abdomen, body and neck meet much darker coloration on the bottom, so I could only adjust it subtly. Therefore, the lower half has a very dark-looking tan.

Overall though, this is as good as I am ever gonna get. If anyone wants to take their own stab, go right for it. Some variations, alternate textures or outright improvements would certainly be welcome here. But for now, I'm friggin' pooped...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #1254
    ...[/QUOTE]

pretty nice

15. Post #1255
    December 2007
    1,637 Posts
    Alrighty folks, the texture (as far as I'M concerned) is finished. I even used crazybump to make it a new normal-map, and I'll tell ya', it worked out easier than I expected!

Here's some screens...in the frozen wastes...

And with that done, I'll FINALLY render out the animations for your review!

And of course, pass these babies over to Silverlan so things can finally get cooking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #1256
    Alrighty folks, the texture (as far as I'M concerned) is finished. I even used crazybump to make it a new normal-map, and I'll tell ya', it worked out easier than I expected!

And with that done, I'll FINALLY render out the animations for your review!

And of course, pass these babies over to Silverlan so things can finally get cooking.
    Oh my gosh, very well done! This will turn out great. I cant wait for SNPCS!!

17. Post #1257
    December 2007
    1,637 Posts

Alright!

Here, at long last, is the long-awaited video of the animations of the Shrieker. Fully rendered in 720p, you get to see the model, it's animations, and the texture+normal map that have finally been completed in full motion. There's even a turnaround in the beginning to give you a full view.

Well, hope you like it! With any luck, I might just add the ragdoll to the release thread later tonight. I'm about to go to work soon, and I haven't eaten lunch yet, but all good things in due time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #1258
    December 2008
    78 Posts
    Excellent work!

19. Post #1259
    Nice Man!! NICE!!!

20. Post #1260
    December 2007
    1,637 Posts
    We'he'he'hell, folks!

Seems on checking through the thread a little, I stumbled onto something I forgot:

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/o...VW_updated.png

The guidelines for my FIXED version of the model, including a fix for the UV's of the feet WITHOUT touching the other coordinates!

Now, I remembered making this, but I couldn't find it. However, having the link gave me the filename, and searching that led me to the file, and it's 3D scene.

Well, I'm going to delay the ragdoll a bit, but just because I feel like I'll never stop thinking about it if I don't fix that texture. In other words, FIXED FEET, FINALLY!!!

This will necessitate a recompiling for the MDL because of an update to the reference smd, and I don't think I have the compiling program on this PC yet, so it'll take a short bit to get that all together for the ragdoll. But it'll be worth it!

Also! Managed to find the original renders of Stratos' completed texture. I'll leave it to you guys to judge which of ours was better, but I'm surprised at just how much less "blown-out" mine is...

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...7/shriek_1.jpg
    http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...7/shriek_2.jpg
    http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...7/shriek_6.jpg
    http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...7/shriek_4.jpg
    http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...7/shriek_5.jpg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #1261
    December 2007
    1,637 Posts
    Eh, I think I'm realizing that I never made a QC file for the Shrieker...so Silverlan probably has it. So I can't get that ragdoll together till I talk to him.

In either case, StudioCompiler isn't exactly working for me right now.

However, this gave me the opportunity to look over the Graboid a bit, and sorta' realize the sucker is just a poor model...

Seriously, for being the biggest, most impressive creature of the Tremors films (on top of most iconic) I really went too far in economizing the detail of the model. It actually has the fewest polygons of either of the models here, aside from maybe the Grablet. Less than 2,000.

I think I can do better than that. Thankfully with Maya at my disposal, I can import the original model, cannibalize the good bits, axe and rebuild the bad bits, buff-up the "meh" bits...

...all while maintaining the UVW coordinates of the good bits, thanks to Maya's superior UVW mapping system.

I've actually wanted to do this for a while, since I realized certain bits of the Graboid's jaws were far and away incorrect and under-detailed..

Plus, looking at the current texture, I think I can whip up something a little stronger when all is said and done.

22. Post #1262
    April 2008
    793 Posts
    hope the other regulars didn't forget about this
    Huh? Forget what?

More like, hope the other regulars aren't too pissed off by my laziness, delays and previous lack of texturing skills.
    Right, GRRR!

Also great job, I'm happy to see this being worked on again.

23. Post #1263
    November 2009
    62 Posts
    OHHHHHHHH joooooooyyy!!!!

24. Post #1264
    Glod Menber
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,249 Posts

Alright!

Here, at long last, is the long-awaited video of the animations of the Shrieker. Fully rendered in 720p, you get to see the model, it's animations, and the texture+normal map that have finally been completed in full motion. There's even a turnaround in the beginning to give you a full view.

Well, hope you like it! With any luck, I might just add the ragdoll to the release thread later tonight. I'm about to go to work soon, and I haven't eaten lunch yet, but all good things in due time.
    Not bad! Definitely around 30x better than I would be able to do.
    Only issue is that the animations look like they're from Spore. Not sure why, but just the entire thing reminds me of it.

Good job, nevertheless.

25. Post #1265
    December 2007
    1,637 Posts
    Woo hoo!

Might make a couple modifications to the mandible length and bend them so the mouth closes nicely, but I'm finally satisfied with the Graboid's model.

Mandibles fixed, overall detail increased, and I even took the spikes (which previously looked lethal) and beveled them into a more proper shape. Hopefully this baby will finally seem appropriately impressive-looking compared to the other models.

Here's some screens with the original model for comparison.

Edited:

Holy shit, the png files rendered-out with an alpha channel O_o
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #1266
    November 2009
    62 Posts
    now where's Burt Gummer?

27. Post #1267
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,017 Posts
    Oh god stop talking about Burt Gummer I swear to god I'm going to have a MIND ANEURYSM gaaahhh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #1268
    December 2007
    1,637 Posts
    Alright, so UV-mapped and textured this baby. I don't think I'm quite done with the texture; just a few details I want to add and smooth-over, but I like it for the most part. I'll probably fix the tongues since the stretch sorta' ran rampant on them.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

29. Post #1269
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    329 Posts
    Wow, you have done such a great job. I can not wait for the release.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #1270
    December 2007
    1,637 Posts
    Bleh...

Well, done tons for the texturing. Added some additional details, smoothed some spots. I even hand-crafted a spec-map and made a nice normal-map.

I'm working to get the basic model to function in-game, but I'm running into some trouble finding out how to add my spec-map as a texture. I'm certain the Source-Engine supports spec-maps, they're not exactly new. I just don't know the VMT coding and such...

31. Post #1271

September 2009
    6 Posts
    Tremors models you say? Just watched Tremors 2 with my uncle last week!

Can't wait to see the Shrieker in game, it looks great!

32. Post #1272
    December 2007
    1,637 Posts

Alrighty!

It took an awful lot of tweaking, but I'm finally satisfied with the overall appearance of the Graboid's materials in-game.

...As you can tell by Eli standing next to it though, the model is currently a tad or so too big. Easily fixed though.

As of now the model is just a static prop; Need to re-rig the puppy, unfortunately...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #1273
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,925 Posts
    i think the toun ges are about the size of an average leg if i rmember right

34. Post #1274
    December 2007
    1,637 Posts

Well, I'd say THAT is more the proper size. I even measured it with exact units. Comparing prop-sizes with actors in the films, and adjusting the size so it IS in fact around 30 feet in length, yeah, this is pretty realistic.

Also...heheh, I'm totally mean to Breen...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #1275
    December 2007
    1,637 Posts
    Woo hoo!

Once again it's 4AM and once again I've accomplished something!

Rigging for the new version of the Graboid is finished, and better than ever. I've got to sleep, but next chance I get I'll get cracking on a new collision model and see if I can't give you guys a new ragdoll...or two ;)

Also, Happy Birthday to me! It's January 25th and I'm 23! ^_^
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

36. Post #1276
    Glod Menber
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,249 Posts
    Happy Birthday, broski! Keep up the good work.

37. Post #1277
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,017 Posts
    Happy birthday mate!

Also glad to hear this new development.

38. Post #1278
    December 2007
    1,637 Posts
    Okay, somehow, somewhere along the line I fucked up.

Right now I've got everything ready. QC works, rig is finished, collision model done, all dandy...

So...what obvious thing did I fail to do that seems to have given the collision models their own bones, and failed to allow them to properly function...

I know I'm going to laugh and feel like a forgetful dumbass when I realize it...I'm sure it has something to do with which objects I had selected for export...

39. Post #1279
    December 2007
    1,637 Posts

Hehe, humpback graboids...

And it's not like the physics model got warped or something, that just consistently happened.

I'm gonna call it a night, but I'm gonna mess around with the physics model later and see if I can fix that. All things considered, where my ragdoll problems have led me in the past, this isn't at all relatively bad.

40. Post #1280
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,017 Posts
    Oh god what erectile dysfunction graboids.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)