sweeeet
    but i didnt see if the egg was done, too
    was the egg done?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

2. Post #602
    October 2008
    170 Posts
    Then its doing its job, :D
    okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk......well good...i think :S on with he thead :D!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Colombia Show Events

3. Post #603
    December 2007
    1,636 Posts
    The egg is only going to be a pill shaped model with a texture/normal map. I wouldn't worry about it.

Although it might help if we'd seen hair or hide of Stratos... the guy sorta' vanished, didn't he?

Well, I'm sorry to report I've gotten less and less work done. However, just yesterday, awesome tidings were delivered on this forum, which I feel could revolutionize the Source modding community.

Here in the model section, someone posted a tutorial on getting cinematic physics to work. "Here we go," I thought. "Some obscenely difficult by-hand gibbing modeling that will BARELY culminate in a semi-functioning cinematic physics animation." How wrong I was...

They presented, Rayfire, marking a point in the history of amateur animators and Source modders alike. Programs like XSI, Maya and Cinema4D had "Blastcode" for a while now, an implement that simulated object destruction with beauty only before seen in film and professional 3D sequences. We 3DSMax users were forced to drool in envy of this power, while we fiddled with Maxscript fracture scripts that barely worked and struggled with the Reactor physics engine built into Max.

But then! Here came Rayfire, the Max equivalent to Blastcode! Finally, we could wield this awesome power, which coupled with the similarly revolutionary volumetric fluid simulation plugin, "fumefx" easily produced results of cinematic proportions.

And best yet! Even those who can't afford it are welcome to use the learner's edition! Only limited with render watermarks and a 100 frame simulation limitation, which is perfect for modest Source modders who want to make thing like gibs, or very short cinematic physics sequences. Watermarks don't translate to game engines, after all.

And so how does this apply to us here? Well...

"SWEET GIBBLY GIBLETS!!!" ~Sarge

"We should see remains! I've blown them up before!" ~Burt Gummer

Hee hee hee... I'll admit, while necessary, I'd dreaded making gibs for these models before now. Either way I'd have to re-apply the UVW map, but Rayfire is SMART. It is capable of making seamless fragments, retaining their UVW information and making the unexploded, yet fragmented object almost entirely seamless until it starts falling apart!

Ignore the current bloody-flesh material, it's merely a placeholder. These also are not the gibs I'm using, though some of them look cool, namely the head. I'll also make custom gib models of the classic ropey guts that will get stuck on your car antennas. Can't explode something that big and have it all be in perfect solid chunks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aside from that, I've also recently picked up a program that specifically tracks camera motion from live footage and translates it to 3D space, so you can perfectly position a CG element into a scene. This, plus Rayfire and a realization that I have all the resources I need, has convinced me to take my "Can I Kamehameha?" video project (the one originally scrapped) to an entirely different level. I've actually tossed the idea around in my head, weighed the difficulties, and decided to commit to doing an entire non-canon fan film for Dragonball, with original characters and an original story, culminating in a multi-part HD mini-series designed to capitalize on Dragonball Evolution, taking place a hundred years after Dragonball Z, retaining the parts of the movie that were good (effects scheme, music), and fixing the parts that were bad (tiny sets, short, anticlimactic fights, "transformer" Capsules, needless meddling with the original story).

I've already researched and ordered an HD camcorder for the filming. It can record in 1080, but only has image stabilization at 720 and records motion better and at 60fps. I find the difference between 1080 and 720 negligible though, so 720 is more than good enough for me. It's mostly for the benefit of having clearer footage to edit in Max as well as giving the motion tracking a better resolution to pick out tracking points. Plus, I don't want to record this on a grainy SD camcorder and make it look like half the other fan films on Youtube, the ones with no diaogue, no story, no explanation or reason the for characters to be fighting, and amateurish effects and sound effects that match the anime, but look and sound ridiculous in live action (something those who criticize DBE's Ki effects DO NOT UNDERSTAND!).

I've also recruited my friends to act in it, and I'll kick their asses to do a passable performance. Nearly every battle scene is meant to be filmed on location, but I'm close to procuring some software that can help me make some neat CGI environments as well (ordering a green screen soon). The locations we've picked are also some really interesting spots. Youtube "Jumbo Rocks, CA" and "Painted Canyon, CA", both places in and around Joshua Tree National Park which have bizarre and very Dragonball esque battle terrain that will make for some neat shots. Hell, I'm even taking pictures of my car and modeling that so I can do some CG stunt/crash sequences with it.

Lol, I've also been looking for props to use as Dragonballs, looking for a proper size, reddish reflective object I could use as a base, so actors could hold them, and so the reflection could meld with the CG effect and make it look like it was in the scene. Here's an example:

I've settled on some foam balls that I'm going to paint and douse the Hell out of with gloss stuff to get the necessary reflections.

X] Sorry about the technobabble, I'm just really stoked about this, and with Summer coming up and the Semester ending, we'll have plenty of time to get all the shots needed to do the mini-series in full!

Well, hope that was a decent update for ya'!

4. Post #604
    October 2008
    170 Posts
    wow i cant wait till this is ready (i mean for the graboids)can you post a pic of the egg please!!

5. Post #605
    February 2009
    157 Posts
    Gibs, fuck yeah!

6. Post #606
    Has volunteered for dissection because the doctor is cute
    May 2009
    20,020 Posts

"SWEET GIBBLY GIBLETS!!!" ~Sarge
    Sarge will commandeer the graboid, and use it to eat Grif
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

7. Post #607
    October 2008
    170 Posts
    lol
    hey j-dude can you upload a pic of the egg model :D!

8. Post #608
    December 2007
    1,636 Posts
    lol
    hey j-dude can you upload a pic of the egg model :D!
    Dude, there isn't one yet, and it's not even exciting, it'll just be a pill shape. It's all about the material on this one, and Stratos is AWOL :\

9. Post #609
    October 2008
    170 Posts
    oh well we need a new skinner then (not me i only do models) :D

10. Post #610
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,861 Posts
    oh well we need a new skinner then (not me i only do models) :D
    Thank you for this quite necessary comment. I am compounding the incident by adding my own, quite necessary, comment about yours.

11. Post #611
    October 2008
    170 Posts
    .....oooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk*low to high voice* well i cant wait for the tremors to be done!!!

12. Post #612
    October 2008
    170 Posts
    awwwww i hope this did not die D':

13. Post #613
    December 2007
    1,636 Posts

I'm animating the Shrieker for my final project in my animation class, and I whipped this up today.

It's really short, only a single cycle, but I just wanted to let you guys know it wasn't dead.

I'd have liked to do this with Stratos' better, more finished texture, but I can't find the guy anymore :(

If anyone wants to shed some light on that situation, please do. As far as I'm concerned, Stratos is an indispensable aid to this project.

14. Post #614
    April 2008
    793 Posts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Z6gFFJJjc&fmt=18

I'm animating the Shrieker for my final project in my animation class, and I whipped this up today.

It's really short, only a single cycle, but I just wanted to let you guys know it wasn't dead.

I'd have liked to do this with Stratos' better, more finished texture, but I can't find the guy anymore :(

If anyone wants to shed some light on that situation, please do. As far as I'm concerned, Stratos is an indispensable aid to this project.
    Very nice, glad to see some progress hope to see more :)

15. Post #615
    October 2008
    170 Posts
    wow nice but i dislike the feet :/ well keep doing the good work :D

16. Post #616
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,861 Posts
    wow nice but i dislike the feet :/ well keep doing the good work :D
    it would help to elaborate, but seeing as the model has already been completed, this doesn't really help anyway...

17. Post #617
    April 2008
    793 Posts
    it would help to elaborate, but seeing as the model has already been completed, this doesn't really help anyway...
    I think he means the unfinished skin.

18. Post #618
    October 2008
    170 Posts
    ya the feet are too dark

19. Post #619
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,861 Posts
    ya the feet are too dark
    weeeeell then, it does help to elaborate and my point still stands.

20. Post #620
    October 2008
    170 Posts
    well ok then. :P

21. Post #621
    April 2008
    793 Posts
    Damn it I won't let this thread die! Any update J-Dude? It is summer vaction now.

22. Post #622
    October 2008
    170 Posts
    ya i will be damned if i let this die!! j-dude please update!

23. Post #623
    December 2007
    1,636 Posts
    Alright, well I'm not uploading any more of the animations separate on Youtube. I think one three second clip is enough. I am however working on the others. Some of them were done when I did them for my animation class, but those are still essentially WIP, since a few of them aren't as polished as I would consider final, and one of them is basically two animations combined, specifically an animation where the Shrieker looks up and scans a spotted enemy a moment before shrieking to announce it to the others. I'd prefer it as two different animations because that way, I could have only ONE spot someone, and then trigger it's own shriek animation, while the other Shriekers in the area merely Shriek in response before attacking. This would be too awkward if the scan and Shriek were a single anim, but it had to be that way for the assignment.

Anyway, here's a list of what's done, and needs doing:

Walk: Done
    Run: Done
    Idle1: 0%
    Idle2: Done
    Idle3: 0%
    Idle4: 0%
    Attack1: Done
    Attack2: 0%
    Attack3: 0%
    Alert-Scan: WIP
    Shriek: WIP

~~~~

Hopefully that's a good update for the moment. I've recently PM'd Stratos and I'm hoping he gets back to me soon.

24. Post #624
    October 2008
    170 Posts
    ok well i am happy that this is on it's way :D

25. Post #625
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,861 Posts
    Wow, if you could somehow convince some npc maker (a rare species now-a-days) to make this and incorporate all that you just said, even just there, it'd still be awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #626
    Yanukovich Style
    Dennab
    January 2008
    2,888 Posts
    is that a worm? or snake?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Ireland Show Events

27. Post #627
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,861 Posts
    is that a worm? or snake?
    firstly: What? Is what a worm or a snake?

Secondly: assuming you mean the graboid, it's a monster that digs underground.

Thirdly: How did you come to this thread and not even attempt to read it... It's not that long. Very few pages.

28. Post #628
    October 2008
    170 Posts
    yes please read the whole thead before you post some non-sence.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Colombia Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

29. Post #629
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,861 Posts
    yes please read the whole thead before you post some non-SENSE.
    Sorry, but I see ALOT of people doing that and it's not just you and such, but really, it's an S not a C.

30. Post #630
    October 2008
    170 Posts
    oh well sorry im still lurning to spell :P anyway i need an update!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Colombia Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

31. Post #631
    April 2008
    793 Posts
    oh well sorry im still lurning to spell :P anyway i need an update!
    0_o

32. Post #632
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,861 Posts
    Just read through... I was wondering about that too...

English not your first language? If not, what is?

Oh... deraling...

Um, on the topic, I assume you'll make pretty textures inside the graboid gore, or hire a henchman to do that... like the one that decided to never come back...

33. Post #633
    July 2007
    256 Posts
    Looks awesome.

34. Post #634
    October 2008
    170 Posts
    my first language is reptilian :)

35. Post #635
    April 2008
    793 Posts
    I knew it! Sorry that this is offtopic but some posts are better than no posts

36. Post #636
    October 2008
    170 Posts
    lol well back on topic UPDATE PLEASE!!!

37. Post #637
    Has volunteered for dissection because the doctor is cute
    May 2009
    20,020 Posts
    He will update it when he wants. If i was him and was being continuously asked to update, i wouldn't bother, and just release when i was finished.

And i want to know, if the Graboid is successful, and digs through the ground, will you work on other digging monsters? Like the sandworms of Dune and the legendary Mongolian Death Worm?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

38. Post #638
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,017 Posts
    my first language is reptilian :)
    A furry?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

39. Post #639
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,861 Posts
    But those aren't furry! Yes I know what a furry is, don't lecture me.
    And so what if he is one, though I bet he was just trying to be creepy in some failure type way.

40. Post #640
    April 2008
    793 Posts
    But those aren't furry!
    My snake is furry...wait dear god what did I just say