1. Post #41
    November 2008
    15 Posts
    You should add animations involving it jumping out of the ground and back in
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    August 2008
    456 Posts
    The CMasta posted:
    You should add animations involving it jumping out of the ground and back in
    Not quite jumping out :P Just about sliver out yeah but, not jump XP I'm wondering whether it'd have the same sound effects...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #43
    April 2008
    793 Posts
    J-Dude posted:
    I use 3d Studio Max.

Edit:

Ah!

Well, after a lot of work, I managed to create UVW coordinates for our Graboid. I tell you, pelt mapping is a lifesaver, as long as you seam everything correctly.

After I get back from seeing a movie here in a bit, I'll try my own hand at texturing, but in case anyone else wants to take a stab at it, or knows someone good who might help us out, I'll leave the UVW's here, all nice and labeled for user friendliness :)

And yes, I was able to overlap the spike and tentacles UV's so that we wouldn't have to worry about Re-texturing the same things a hundred times.
    I'll try skining that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    December 2007
    1,657 Posts
    Steffanic posted:
    Not quite jumping out :P Just about sliver out yeah but, not jump XP I'm wondering whether it'd have the same sound effects...
    I can do an animation where it leaps out a good bit and then sets it's head on the ground for an indirect attack.

And of course it would use the movie sound effects, all I need to do is go through the films and record the raw bits, just like I did for Rexy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

5. Post #45
    August 2008
    456 Posts
    J-Dude posted:
    I can do an animation where it leaps out a good bit and then sets it's head on the ground for an indirect attack.

And of course it would use the movie sound effects, all I need to do is go through the films and record the raw bits, just like I did for Rexy.
    Sweet, sounds like you got it figured out :) Although i am still wondering how much you can make it like the movie thing...Not only going underground but, i also just thought about it only attacking you when you land on or move on the floor, or other things moving on the floor.

6. Post #46
    April 2008
    793 Posts
    Okay I got a little done on the skin I think it should look good when done :)

7. Post #47
    December 2007
    1,657 Posts
    CrazyChcken posted:
    Okay I got a little done on the skin I think it should look good when done :)
    Oh really? Wow, thanks man! I appreciate it, truly!

Tell me if any of it confuses you.

Oh, and don't forget to give him a nice over-layer of dust and dirt. Graboids are never clean ;)

8. Post #48
    April 2008
    793 Posts
    J-Dude posted:

Oh, and don't forget to give him a nice over-layer of dust and dirt. Graboids are never clean ;)
    Ok, do you want a more blue or more green graboid? In the photos they are either blue or greenish.

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,702 Posts
    So much wasted space on the UV map.

10. Post #50
    April 2008
    793 Posts
    J-Dude posted:

I do have one question for the mouth is that all inside the mouth or is just the middle inside the mouth?

11. Post #51
    December 2007
    1,657 Posts
    Ok, do you want a more blue or more green graboid? In the photos they are either blue or greenish.
    What the fuck are you talking about?? Graboids are NOT blue or green in the SLIGHTEST, have you watched Tremors before?? If you need references, either Google them, or watch Youtube videos. I don't want you to skin this at all if you're not going to look at references. Here's a tip though:

The body is beige, caked with dirt and dried mud, very light. The beak and jaw segments are a black/dark grey shell. I'd refer to black marble for it's general look, but again it's covered in layers of dust and dirt from plowing through soil all it's life. It's mouth is very red and fleshy, also having small black spikes around it's throat, like a Sarlac from Star Wars. The tongues are dark red/orange and somewhat veiny. I don't begin to know where you're getting the colors blue or green from, because Graboids are nothing but warm earth tones.

Also, the area labeled "mouth" is the mouth all the way up to the throat and entrance to the stomach. Everything up till the jaws and beak on the inside is the mouth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #52
    August 2008
    17 Posts
    I can try.

13. Post #53
    December 2007
    1,657 Posts
    Frito Master posted:
    I can try.
    Do you want me to size up some of the UV's before you do, like the one dude said? Now I look at it, I probably SHOULD size those up to be economic with the texture size.

And thanks, a LOT

14. Post #54
    August 2008
    17 Posts
    It's more resourceful, The uv for the body Should prolly be bigger..

15. Post #55
    December 2007
    1,657 Posts
    Frito Master posted:
    It's more resourceful, The uv for the body Should prolly be bigger..
    Okay, how's this?

It's all the same except the beak is rotated.

16. Post #56
    August 2008
    17 Posts
    J-Dude posted:
    Okay, how's this?

It's all the same except the beak is rotated.
    Nice, I'll try skinning it.

Sidenote:
    I so fucking want this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #57
    April 2008
    793 Posts
    J-Dude posted:
    What the fuck are you talking about?? Graboids are NOT blue or green in the SLIGHTEST, have you watched Tremors before?? If you need references, either Google them, or watch Youtube videos. I don't want you to skin this at all if you're not going to look at references. Here's a tip though:

The body is beige, caked with dirt and dried mud, very light. The beak and jaw segments are a black/dark grey shell. I'd refer to black marble for it's general look, but again it's covered in layers of dust and dirt from plowing through soil all it's life. It's mouth is very red and fleshy, also having small black spikes around it's throat, like a Sarlac from Star Wars. The tongues are dark red/orange and somewhat veiny. I don't begin to know where you're getting the colors blue or green from, because Graboids are nothing but warm earth tones.

Also, the area labeled "mouth" is the mouth all the way up to the throat and entrance to the stomach. Everything up till the jaws and beak on the inside is the mouth.
    Yeah I'll rent the movies again I haven't seen them in a while

Edit:

Want to see a WIP picture?

Edit 2:

And I'm going to have some trouble with the tongue face so I'll let someone else do that.

18. Post #58
    December 2007
    1,657 Posts
    Sure, I'd like to see a WIP. Mind you, Frito is working on it now as well.

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    272 Posts
    Could you make the "Monsters" from Tremors 2? (The ones with 2 legs)

20. Post #60
    September 2006
    98 Posts
    Safari posted:
    Could you make the "Monsters" from Tremors 2? (The ones with 2 legs)
    *Shriekers.

Can't wait to see this skinned.

21. Post #61
    October 2006
    216 Posts
    the uvmaps a lot better :D looking good, hopefully will get a nice skin. I agree with you with the pelt mapping! :D

Edit:

you got a bit of overlapping in the face tongue area, also on the tentacles. Not sure whether it'll matter? maybe done on purpose?

22. Post #62
    August 2008
    137 Posts
    I sense that this may contain win.

GORDON SENSES GO!

23. Post #63
    August 2008
    456 Posts
    You must remember all that gooey, bright orange blood :P At least i think it was bright orange, was SOO long ago since i last saw it...

24. Post #64
    August 2008
    137 Posts
    I know I forgot to watch it this year.:loleyes:

Yes it's bright yellow.

25. Post #65
    August 2008
    17 Posts
    CrazyChcken posted:
    Yeah I'll rent the movies again I haven't seen them in a while

Edit:

Want to see a WIP picture?

Edit 2:

And I'm going to have some trouble with the tongue face so I'll let someone else do that.
    Can I see a wip picture, Cause if urs is better I'll give up. (Mind you I haven't done very much.

26. Post #66
    April 2008
    793 Posts
    J-Dude posted:
    Sure, I'd like to see a WIP. Mind you, Frito is working on it now as well.
    Ok I'll upload a screen and I don't mind if Frito skins it too cause he might do better

Edit:

Any good? Keep in mind I haven't done all the parts yet. And I still need to coat it in dirt and dust.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #67
    October 2006
    216 Posts
    may want to change to the other uvmap, otherwise this one won't work :\

28. Post #68
    April 2008
    793 Posts
    luch174 posted:
    may want to change to the other uvmap, otherwise this one won't work :\
    Crap I forgot about that. I'll make a second one to fit the other UV map. Also I added dirt to it, it looks more like it now.

29. Post #69
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,290 Posts

This is the type of texture we're talking about fellas'.

Wrong direction with the green.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

30. Post #70
    August 2008
    17 Posts
    Heres what I have (Mind you I have not worked very much on it.)
    Still need to make it look like there's a dark shell under the dried sand and dirt.

31. Post #71
    December 2007
    1,657 Posts
    Oh baby...

Yeah, I think my vote is going towards Frito's at the moment 0 __ 0

Fuckin' sweet...

I suppose that .smd version I sent you worked?

32. Post #72
    HOLY HELL MINIGUN SNARKS
    September 2007
    3,715 Posts
    Looks fucking sweet man...

Xystus you gonna make a SNPC on this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,290 Posts
    That's the goal.

Edit:

Frito's is amazing

34. Post #74
    August 2008
    456 Posts
    J-Dude posted:
    Oh baby...

Yeah, I think my vote is going towards Frito's at the moment 0 __ 0

Fuckin' sweet...

I suppose that .smd version I sent you worked?
    Mmmmm...Tremory goodness...That is very nice indeed :) Well done Frito

35. Post #75
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    5,852 Posts
    I love the Termor Worm's :3 Good luck with making each and every form!

Do want,too :D

36. Post #76
    October 2006
    216 Posts
    could you have them animate like the antlions did in hl2, when you step on objects they don't hear you but step off... and your screwed :D

37. Post #77
    April 2007
    724 Posts
    J-Dude posted:
    The worm tounges are more of an orange color, aren't they?
    Also, it may be better if you make the beak look dusty and more bone like with some tiny cracks or ridges. I also noticed the worm has more of a scaly lizzard/turtle like skin. It reminds me of the darker spots on the Locust from Gears of War.

38. Post #78
    August 2008
    456 Posts
    luch174 posted:
    could you have them animate like the antlions did in hl2, when you step on objects they don't hear you but step off... and your screwed :D
    They did?? I had no idea about that :S

Facehugger88 posted:
    The worm tounges are more of an orange color, aren't they?
    Also, it may be better if you make the beak look dusty and more bone like with some tiny cracks or ridges. I also noticed the worm has more of a scaly lizzard/turtle like skin. It reminds me of the darker spots on the Locust from Gears of War.
    Yeah, they are kinda orange. And i agree with the beak and scaly texture.

Oh, and here's another reference picture just for the hell of it:

39. Post #79
    December 2007
    1,657 Posts
    @Luch: SNPC's unfortunately lack the ability to truly "hear" things, which is why Silverlan has never been capable of pulling off his Half Life 1 Tentacle snpc.

So while unfortunately for you, playing "rock skip" isn't going to stop him from trying to bite off your nads whenever he likes.

We WILL try and ensure that he cannot surface when he's under brushes or map props that are either metal, rock or concrete in their designated texture, but unlike Antlions, Graboids aren't as easily deterred by technicalities.

Example:

Antlions: "Oh! Here comes a roving refugee/hero type person across our territory! We're sensetive to the sound of footsteps on sand, and we hate people mucking up our sand because we love playing golf. Oh, but see, he's just walking on the rocks and putting things two inches ABOVE the sand, so technically he's not breaking any rules, so we'll leave him be, even though walking on a metal plate on the sand is infinitely louder than just walking on the sand itself."

See, you'll not receive such agree-ability from the Graboids. Standing on a little wooden crate that lies two feet above the ground is NOT safety from a Graboid, it's just you, served on a silver platter. If you are on a prop, if he can force it out of the way, or even just swallow it, he's got you pretty good. His head can pop out about 7 feet out of the ground, and his roving tentacles (like much more active versions of the Barnacle) add another 6 feet to that, so make sure you're well out of harms way before you simply ASSUME you're safe.

Oh, and I am hoping that he'll be able to suck down props, analyze them, and shoot them back out into the air after realizing they're inedible.

~~~~~

@Facehugger: Refer to Frito's UVW map that he posted please... What you are seeing is a work-in-progress texture. He's only mapped the body, and he claims not to be entirely finished with THAT yet. The beak and mouth and tongues as you can see are merely reflecting the rest of the untextured UVW map. In other words, those parts are not finished yet. Yes, the blackness of the default UVW texture does help you get a general idea, but it's a false image anyway.

40. Post #80
    April 2007
    724 Posts
    I didn't know they had little teeth inside their mouth...