1. Post #801
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,105 Posts
    If you've just heard of him, you need a sulfuric acid enema.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #802
    December 2007
    1,655 Posts
    Alright!

Been working hard on some animations, and here's the status as of now!

Walk: Done
    Run: Done
    Idle1: 0%
    Idle2: Done
    Idle3: 0%
    Idle4: 0%
    Attack1: Done
    Attack2: 0%
    Attack3: 0%
    Alert-Scan: Done
    Alert-Scan_False-Alarm: Done
    Alert-Shriek: Done
    Response/Quick Shriek: 0%

~~~~

Hard stuff is basically out of the way, although I'll try and vary the 2nd Shriek animation or else make it a bit more general in motion so that it's not as noticeable when these guys are all grouped together when they all start Shrieking.

My feeling is that the first Shrieker who finds someone will let off a Shriek to alert the others. This Shriek animation is pretty wild and exaggerated in movement, so as to be unique, since the Shrieker is desperately trying to expel as much body heat as it can to alert the whole group. The others who see this will Shriek in response, both to communicate that they acknowledge the initial Shrieker, and to spread the word to other Shriekers who may be facing the wrong way. Since all the Shriekers who see it will perform this response Shriek, it would be obvious if the animation were exaggerated as opposed to generalized. The subtler, generalized motion of the response Shriek will stick out very little when an entire crowd of the bastards starts doing it all at once.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

3. Post #803
    Has volunteered for dissection because the doctor is cute
    May 2009
    20,302 Posts
    This is turning into an extremely long, and arduous process.

But the result will be worth it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #804
    August 2008
    456 Posts
    Huh, i see. Well, Kudos to Sliverlan then! :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #805
    October 2008
    170 Posts
    god, how long has it been form when we first started this?! man it's been awile
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Colombia Show Events

6. Post #806
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,034 Posts
    Alright!

Been working hard on some animations, and here's the status as of now!

Idle1: 0%
    Idle3: 0%
    Idle4: 0%

~~~~

Hard stuff is basically out of the way, although I'll try and vary the 2nd Shriek animation or else make it a bit more general in motion so that it's not as noticeable when these guys are all grouped together when they all start Shrieking.

My feeling is that the first Shrieker who finds someone will let off a Shriek to alert the others. This Shriek animation is pretty wild and exaggerated in movement, so as to be unique, since the Shrieker is desperately trying to expel as much body heat as it can to alert the whole group. The others who see this will Shriek in response, both to communicate that they acknowledge the initial Shrieker, and to spread the word to other Shriekers who may be facing the wrong way. Since all the Shriekers who see it will perform this response Shriek, it would be obvious if the animation were exaggerated as opposed to generalized. The subtler, generalized motion of the response Shriek will stick out very little when an entire crowd of the bastards starts doing it all at once.
    What about a shriek while running animation? So it looks like it's exspelling body heat to keep a bead on you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

7. Post #807
    August 2009
    156 Posts
    How about some new video?

8. Post #808
    December 2007
    1,655 Posts
    I've never seen the Shriekers shriek while moving. Their minds are pretty one-track. If they're chasing something, they're done "painting" their target.

As to video, I'd love to, since I really like my most recent animations. I've been utilizing the curve editor to fine-tune between key motions more and more. However, I don't want to put individual animations on Youtube if I can help it. I'd much rather have something polished to show when the animations are done. But aside from that, I'd also much rather have a finished texture on the Shrieker. The walk animation video still uses that incomplete texture. That coupled with it's shortness makes me regret uploading it, and once I have all my animations done for the Shrieker, I'm going to take it off in favor of a polished Shrieker animation vid like I did for ol' Rexy last year.

The good thing is my head is a lot more into the game right now, especially now that Silverlan is doing the coding. I felt a bit embarrassed that he'd signed on to help and I had nothing for him to work with yet, so rectifying that is a priority for me.

I mean, it's not like he doesn't have other things to do. I just saw him reboot his snpc pack with a new thread, and has somehow introduced a PLAYER snpc, a bot like in Counter Strike, which he showed to be capable of exactly following path nodes, even through air vents and certain windows. And the kicker? He made the path nodes for an un-noded map in-game, and claims that he can now map snpc's function on maps without nodes. The implications are revolutionary. I can only imagine what it could mean for us, since the ability for the Tremors snpc's to navigate long range on big maps, maps with few or no nodes like CS_Desert, is a major goal.

It makes me wonder if he was looking for possible snpc's which could be a proof of concept for his most recent innovations, and whether he's just being incredibly nice to us or hoping these snpc's will be prime examples of his new codes, I feel obligated to haul ass and give him something to work with. I REALLY don't want to waste his time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #809
    August 2009
    156 Posts
    Man, I still can't believe you got Silverlan. This thread was dead for like a month, and now it overflows with epicness! We may finally see the day when Dr Kleiner will be afraid to to make a sound...or jingle or run or walk loudly...

10. Post #810
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,105 Posts
    HOLY SHIT

This has been here since last December? :aaaaa:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #811
    August 2009
    156 Posts
    Yes, yes it has...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #812
    December 2007
    1,655 Posts
    Updated!

Idle1: Done
    Idle3: Done
    Idle4: Done

So basically, I finished all it's idle animations. That'll do for the moment, but I'll see how much I can do tomorrow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #813
    May 2009
    20,302 Posts
    Sounds good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

14. Post #814
    October 2008
    170 Posts
    man i think we are getting some where ^_^

15. Post #815
    December 2007
    1,655 Posts
    Small Update:

Reproduce: 0% *New*
    Eat: 0% *New*

I did some tweaking to Attack1, since I wasn't quite satisfied with the apparent viciousness of it. Felt too casual, originally just a quick grab with his mandibles and then ripping away. I changed it so it's a bit faster and that he rips in one direction and then shakes it a bit in the other.

I also realized I'm forgetting an important part of the Shriekers' behavior, so I'm adding the reproduce animation, and an eating animation. I figure the Shriekers should reproduce every now and then by default, but that an abundance of food should speed the process along dramatically and lead to a full infestation. We couldn't get this function to really work with Rexy, but then, this isn't Xystus coding these. In fact, I'm hoping when this is all sorted out that he might be able to fix Rexy a bit, if he's willing.

16. Post #816
    August 2009
    156 Posts
    What precisely will they "eat", props, deceased npcs, what?

17. Post #817
    October 2008
    170 Posts
    or the player (just adding to the idea ^_^)

18. Post #818
    August 2009
    156 Posts
    I gotta say, it'd be pretty awesome to see a shrieker chewin' on Dr. Breen's corpse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #819
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    5,849 Posts
    As a nice little funny trick, you can have the shriekers die when they eat Kliener, since he is a widely used Mingemodel. Would be funny, it gets indigestion :D

20. Post #820
    December 2007
    1,655 Posts
    Dead NPC's, though maybe certain props can be interpreted as food. Maybe even bites of a living NPC can count as a "swallow".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #821
    October 2008
    170 Posts
    i can see it now, a shrieker noming on a dead combine....good times ^_^
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Colombia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #822
    August 2009
    156 Posts
    Just please, don't give it heavy weapons guy sandvich nom sounds...that would give me nightmares... :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

23. Post #823
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,034 Posts
    Yeah, it would be possible to code it to eat ragdolls, players and npcs, maybe with a gradual nourishment code, where the more successfull bites/ragdolls nom'd on it adds more to the percentage, at 100% it reproduces, also it has to nom nom on watermelons

Would be awesome if there was a "Tremors control" swep where it acts kind of like an RTS where you can control the Graboids, Shriekers etc. and you could see their evolutionary progress.

Anyone else pissed off at that idiot Clyde Valentine who refuses to let Xystus's thread die?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #824
    August 2009
    156 Posts
    As long as were on the topic of monster eating habits, I'm just throwing this out there, who else thinks it would be awesome if the graboid regenerated health by eating people?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #825
    October 2008
    170 Posts
    would make no sence to real life...like if you were shot and you ate a pie and you healed all up...but seeing it's a game it would be good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Colombia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #826
    August 2009
    156 Posts
    Some other things I noticed about real life...ahem cough, NO GIANT FUCKING UNDERGROUND DEATH WORMS, cough thank you. :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #827
    May 2009
    20,302 Posts
    I noticed something out of place in the movies.

They live in "America". Who has ever heard of a country called America? I havent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

28. Post #828
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    267 Posts
    I noticed something out of place in the movies.

They live in "America". Who has ever heard of a country called America? I havent.
    The United States of AMERICA?

29. Post #829
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,590 Posts
    He's basically solving every single problem that has ever vexed a coder, ever. From pathfinding problems to Hull size problems, the guy is a lua genius, you just give him a model and animations and the rest comes out golden.
    You are so wrong. He only works on NPCs and SNPCs, not other areas of lua. So he hasnt solved every problem ever known to coder. He is a good friend of mine, but there is no need to over exaggerate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #830
    May 2009
    20,302 Posts
    Dude, seriously?

Sarcasm, look it up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #831
    S.T.A.R.S Member and Honorary B.O.W
    May 2008
    1,725 Posts
    I think people are starting to get edgy waiting for the gol-dern monsters to be released.

32. Post #832
    March 2006
    49 Posts
    Mexico full name is the United Mexican States, and they are united states and are in America, so .... they are in Mexico! flawless logic!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Spain Show Events Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #833
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,105 Posts
    I think people are starting to get edgy waiting for the god damn monsters to be released.
    Fix'd

34. Post #834
    S.T.A.R.S Member and Honorary B.O.W
    May 2008
    1,725 Posts
    Broke rather, I'ts in reference to one of the movies lines. Burt calls them "Gol-Dern Monsters" In the first movie.

Edited:

Thats how he said it when it was showen on WTOG44 back in the day, so I guess you're right. FYI: WTOG44 is an OOOOLLLLLDDDD Florida TV station, It changed to UPN in 97' or 98'.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #835
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,105 Posts
    I wouldn't know :smug:

Chillin' in Wisconsin.

36. Post #836
    December 2007
    1,655 Posts
    Broke rather, I'ts in reference to one of the movies lines. Burt calls them "Gol-Dern Monsters" In the first movie.

Edited:

Thats how he said it when it was showen on WTOG44 back in the day, so I guess you're right. FYI: WTOG44 is an OOOOLLLLLDDDD Florida TV station, It changed to UPN in 97' or 98'.
    Dunno where you heard that. You might've gotten an "edited for TV" version with re-dubbing for obscenities.

Anyway...

Reproduce: Done
    Eat: 0%

Finished the reproduce animation, since it was the toughest left. Wouldn't have taken so long, except I wanted to find a good control for making it's body spasm a bit while vomiting the 2nd Shrieker. Shaking and shuddering is no fun to animate over a long course of time.

37. Post #837
    October 2008
    170 Posts
    oh good god it's almost done!?! somebody hit me!!

38. Post #838
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,105 Posts
    Buckshot or slug shells?

39. Post #839
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,034 Posts
    You are so wrong. He only works on NPCs and SNPCs, not other areas of lua. So he hasnt solved every problem ever known to coder. He is a good friend of mine, but there is no need to over exaggerate.
    Actually if you knew anything about what he was doing you'd know that he is pretty much solving almost all of the vexes of lua, he doesn't only work on Snpcs, he works on sweps, entities and gamemodes too. In fact I doubt you even know who he even is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #840
    April 2008
    793 Posts
    J-Dude...I LOVE YOU.