August 2009
    156 Posts
    Updates?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

2. Post #922
    October 2008
    170 Posts
    give him some time man....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Colombia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #923
    December 2007
    1,643 Posts
    Well, yesterday was pretty screwed since a friend bunked at my place the night before and rather overstayed his welcome until I had to work at 7:30PM that night.

Anyway, Silverlan talked to me about the reproductive cycle of the Shriekers, and requested that I have an animation for the Shriekers getting up from the ground after being "born". Was a bit of a tougher animation, but I finished that for him today, unfortunately not before he went offline. I do rather hate when people have to be in wildly different timezones, don't you?

That's all to report for the moment though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #924
    Has volunteered for dissection because the doctor is cute
    May 2009
    20,156 Posts
    Good source of info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graboid

The shriekers multiply by feeding, right? So maybe after a random amount of kills, the shriekers just throw up an ass-blaster?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

5. Post #925
    December 2007
    1,643 Posts
    Good source of info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graboid

The shriekers multiply by feeding, right? So maybe after a random amount of kills, the shriekers just throw up an ass-blaster?
    Uh...I think you're confused, to be polite.

Shriekers don't hurl Ass Blasters, they mutate into them and shed their skin as a husk. Shriekers vomit other Shriekers.

If you've never seen the films, I think you ought to leave the ideas to us, or at least have read the last few pages of thread properly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #926
    May 2009
    20,156 Posts
    Wow, one mistake and im completely denied ideas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #927
    August 2008
    456 Posts
    Wow, one mistake and im completely denied ideas.
    If ya haven't seen the movies, it kinda makes sense. Don't mess with what ya don't know, right? :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

8. Post #928
    S.T.A.R.S Member and Honorary B.O.W
    May 2008
    1,618 Posts
    Shriekers shed their husk after about 24hours of not eating anything, this is stated in the third film after El Blanko had Burt and the others traped overnight on a boulder. Too bad no one ever got to see the process, but the husks were seen in the movie so hopefully that should help. I'd supply reference pics, but I'd have to get the movie in a not-so-favorable way by facepunch standerds/rules and I dont want to get banned.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #929
    July 2009
    286 Posts
    Shriekers shed their husk after about 24hours of not eating anything, this is stated in the third film after El Blanko had Burt and the others traped overnight on a boulder. Too bad no one ever got to see the process, but the husks were seen in the movie so hopefully that should help. I'd supply reference pics, but I'd have to get the movie in a not-so-favorable way by facepunch standerds/rules and I dont want to get banned.
    It's probably similar to how some insects go through metamorphosis, changing under a layer of skin then emerging through their old skin in their new adult form. Like Cicadas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ci...animated-2.gif

10. Post #930
    May 2009
    20,156 Posts
    I HAVE seen the movies, the second one many times (its my favourite) but jesus christ, its like you make one mistake and you are instantly a complete retard.

I just got confused, and then everyone just instantly has a bitch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

11. Post #931
    August 2009
    156 Posts
    Um...dude? I think you're bitching about this more than anyone else is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #932
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,025 Posts
    I HAVE seen the movies, the second one many times (its my favourite) but jesus christ, its like you make one mistake and you are instantly a complete retard.

I just got confused, and then everyone just instantly has a bitch.
    It was just one simple suggestion to know a little more about what you're saying, dude chill the fuck out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #933
    December 2007
    1,643 Posts
    I'll amend that: only give ideas of what you're certain of. If you're not certain, become certain. Ask questions, watch the references. But as a general rule, it's not productive to make blind guesses.

I do not doubt you have some potentially good ideas, but they'll be better if you're duly informed on how the Graboids and their various life stages function.

In short, if you understand Shriekers, give Shrieker ideas. If you understand Graboids, give Graboid ideas. If you've never even seen an Ass Blaster beyond pictures, it would be best not to give ideas about them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #934
    May 2008
    1,618 Posts
    It's probably similar to how some insects go through metamorphosis, changing under a layer of skin then emerging through their old skin in their new adult form. Like Cicadas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ci...animated-2.gif
    I think thats about how it would work. As far as memory serves me, I think I remember the husks looking like the cicada husks, as far as the opening on their back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #935
    August 2009
    156 Posts
    For the skin shedding effect, you could probably just have the ass-blaster inflate out of the shrieker with a poof of orange smoke, and have the shrieker ragdoll while nocolided, and turn a semitransparent orange before fading away, since we never actually saw the ass-blasters hatching/coming out, the best you can do is guess.

16. Post #936
    May 2008
    1,618 Posts
    For the skin shedding effect, you could probably just have the ass-blaster inflate out of the shrieker with a poof of orange smoke, and have the shrieker ragdoll while nocolided, and turn a semitransparent orange before fading away, since we never actually saw the ass-blasters hatching/coming out, the best you can do is guess.
    Thats not too bad an idea.

17. Post #937
    December 2007
    1,643 Posts
    Small update, walk animation is coming well, but in a side animation, I concluded the wings were too static on their own when moved as a whole, they wouldn't appear fluid moving together without each "rib" of the wing bones doing it's own thing. That's some tedious work of course, so instead I've used the handy reaction manager to handle the up and down rotation of each rib so I can automatically animate them as though air is blowing into the wings from the top or bottom, giving it a more "flappy" feel.

Naturally this holds no weight in the ragdoll, because due to the number of bones, only the master wing controls will be movable in order to have broad pose-ability as opposed to no pose-ability at all.

Can't do that for my walk animation I'm afraid, I'll have to do those once by hand, and copy-paste frames when necessary.

18. Post #938
    May 2008
    1,618 Posts
    Question: In the movie when one of the assblasters flys/glides onto the shop to try and get mindy and her mom, it kinda hop-run-sprints at the box they're hiding in. Is that going to be an animation thats included? Like, When it spots you it does some kinda "i'm pissed off" animation, frills its wings a bit, then charges with a hoppy sprinty run kinda thing?

19. Post #939
    December 2007
    1,643 Posts
    Question: In the movie when one of the assblasters flys/glides onto the shop to try and get mindy and her mom, it kinda hop-run-sprints at the box they're hiding in. Is that going to be an animation thats included? Like, When it spots you it does some kinda "i'm pissed off" animation, frills its wings a bit, then charges with a hoppy sprinty run kinda thing?
    By my understanding, Ass Blasters are capable of short bursts of speed and use that to charge, much like a crocodile would. That instance on the roof was more something it did while landing and still had speed from it's flight, but yes, when attacking from the ground, they'll do so by suddenly charging. They'll probably be able to cross the width of a big city street nice and quick, and that'll be their limit. Up until they're in range, they'll perform a "stalk" animation where they close in slowly towards prey before lunging as described. I'm not sure if this should be all. I could imagine them doing something of a bird-like hop to move faster, but I also think it would be fitting of them to be ungainly on the ground and rely more upon attack from the air in order to hunt.

Plus they'll be able to use their flamethrower namesake as a weapon, or in order to clear obstacles, so I doubt I'd hurt them too much by making them incapable of a constant running speed.

Also, finally finished the walk, polished and everything, and I love it very much :)

20. Post #940
    May 2008
    1,618 Posts
    I just rememberd something about the assblasters, they go into a "food coma" if they eat. Thats not gonna happen to these guys is it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #941
    August 2009
    156 Posts
    Out of curiosity, are the ass-blasters gonna ignite a few seconds after death, because I might be wrong, but if I remember correctly in most of their death scenes there was some sort of fire even if they didn't catch fire themselves.

22. Post #942
    December 2007
    1,643 Posts
    I'm not sure about the Food coma deal. Maybe, but it'll be after a while, not after one sitting.

As to the catching fire, the one first dead AB was leaking some of it's chemicals, and those chemicals are so volatile that they react with oxygen and produce fire. But in that instance, it was only a small amount, and the body itself didn't burn up.

But seeing as flames in Source only come in one flavor and size, it's a matter of, it's on fire or it's not at all.

We'll have to think on this a bit.

23. Post #943
    August 2009
    156 Posts
    I don't know if it would be at all possible but, would there be any way to make them explode when exposed to fire damage?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #944
    May 2008
    1,618 Posts
    I think I might die laughing if I saw that. Either way, it sounds good to me, so I second it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #945
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,025 Posts
    I can just imagine an epic battle between 100 Ass Blasters and a single Baby Gargantua from Silver's HLR, with the baby garg totally going 300 on their asses and setting off chain reactions taking out 20 at a time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

26. Post #946
    August 2009
    156 Posts
    Remove the baby garg, and they'd probably ignite eachother, you know like the ass-blaster in the shipping container, only on a grander scale.

27. Post #947
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,025 Posts
    Remove the baby garg, and they'd probably ignite eachother, you know like the ass-blaster in the shipping container, only on a grander scale.
    I don't remember that, that from the tremors tv show?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

28. Post #948
    August 2009
    156 Posts
    No, tremors 3, from in the junkyard.

29. Post #949
    May 2008
    1,618 Posts
    It went something like: *breath breath breath BREATH BOOOOOM* Then cut to scene of the assblaster standing in the container charred and smouldering, then it collapes. That scene got me lauging for a good 3 minutes.

Chang: "HA HA assblaster, blasted your own ass!"

30. Post #950
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,025 Posts
    I remember that scene now

Hahahahah that was hilarious! How could I forget!

31. Post #951
    July 2009
    175 Posts
    Did someone ask this or was this going to be included in the HL:R pack?
    Also can someone help me with source recorder? It keeps fucking up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

32. Post #952
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,025 Posts
    Did someone ask this or was this going to be included in the HL:R pack?
    No it won't.

How does it fuck up?

33. Post #953
    April 2008
    793 Posts
    Wrong place to ask.

34. Post #954
    July 2009
    175 Posts
    Wrong place to ask.
    srry

35. Post #955
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,025 Posts
    BUMP OF LIEF.

/caps
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

36. Post #956
    The King of Wing
    May 2008
    4,506 Posts
    Damnit... Now I have to get mah shot-guun.

37. Post #957
    July 2009
    175 Posts
    J-Dude i have started to make a map of perfection but i run into a little stop.
    But ive made Chiangs already and are going to start on the water tower soon so, yeah.
    Reply to me if you want to know something.

38. Post #958
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,025 Posts
    Bump DAMN IT!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #959
    August 2009
    156 Posts
    Gah, I feel the intense need to hear J-Dude say something, anything even if it's not a progress update, this thread feels like its losing steam.

40. Post #960
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,025 Posts
    Bump
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)