1. Post #1121
    December 2007
    1,655 Posts
    Glad to see he's gone...and to see he's really a complete loser.

Anyway, Stratos has been away from his desktop at his Aunts for the last week or so. Today (Wednesday the 6th) is the day he got back and returned to school. But he says it's only a couple touches left for the Shrieker texture, so I'm hoping in a couple days he'll send that to me. I have NO idea what it looks like, he hasn't even shown a preview yet.

As to what I've been up to, I'm fixing for a MAJOR computer upgrade. My PC as of now and previously is a machine with an Athlon64 x2 3800 with 2gb's of DDR1 RAM and a GeForce 8800GT running on 32 bit WinXP Media Center.

My NEW build for that will be an Intel Duo Wolfdale 8400 on a brand new motherboard, with 8 GB's of DDR2 RAM with a copy of Windows 7 64 bit. For that, the old drives (save for a new 1TB HD to replace my old 250 gig) will remain, as well as the 600w PSU and the 8800GT (keeping it because for the pricing it's really still unchallenged enough for an upgrade not to be worth it. I still haven't been able to utilize PCIE 2.0 for the card, so it'll help anyway).

I've got all the components bought and in my room save for the RAM. I got the Motherboard today but discovered it's too tall for my original case, but I found a much larger, excellently reviewed, cooling-optimized case for $50 on Newegg, which is in the mail now.

No doubt my machine will be a damned monster that I'll be able to play, simulate and animate on to my heart's content with the 'cross-the-board quantum leap improvements (I mean, come on: DDR1 to DDR2 with four times the memory, 32-bit to 64-bit, AMD/Intel hybrid to full-Intel with more than double the processor power; Crysis Max settings, here's fucking Johnny) but can I still say it's the same computer anymore?

I mean, before I justified calling it the same machine because I intended to keep the case and everything inside it aside from the new parts, but now I'm salvaging the useful components from the old tower into a new tower and transferring my data into a fresh hard drive, leaving the MB and CPU of the old tower untouched. Is it technically a new computer?

It's hard to tell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

2. Post #1122
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,034 Posts
    Holy shit, I got a boner from reading those specs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #1123
    S.T.A.R.S Member and Honorary B.O.W
    May 2008
    1,725 Posts
    Thats not a bad build at all man, props to you.

I'm only runnin a bit less then that :V

Intel Pentium Dual core E6400 Wolfdale 2.8 Ghz Varied (I sometimes OC to 3 Ghz)
    3 Gigs DDR2 (CAN run 16 max in a 64 bit OS)
    Gigabyte EP43-UD3L ATX Pci-E 2.0 Mobo
    nVidia GeForce 8500GT 1Gig RAM (Gonna get upgraded)
    520 something Gigs of HDD space (3 SATAs and an IDE)
    550w PSU (nothing fancy)
    eMachines Dual Layer DVD burner with a replaced face plate.
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

Could be better, but I gots to get some moneys first and thats going toward a new graphics card. Something in an nVidia 9 series. I could go for the 200 series but untill the 300 series gets going and the 200 series prices drop, the 9 is where its at FTM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

4. Post #1124
    May 2008
    1,725 Posts
    J-dude. I just saw your name refrenced on the Black-Mesa fourms, whats that about?

5. Post #1125
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,034 Posts
    He has an account on their forums.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #1126
    December 2007
    1,655 Posts
    J-dude. I just saw your name refrenced on the Black-Mesa fourms, whats that about?
    Ehehehe...

Yeah, they hate me over there right now. A lot of the crazier, more insanely devoted ones want to ban me from the forum, the whimps.

I gave them all a good piece of my mind over the disappointment that came from the announcement that BMS wouldn't reach it's intended 2009 release. I won't lie, that pissed me off, made my holidays feel a lot hollower than they might have been.

Basically, I played devil's advocate. Criticized them, in a very well-worded and civil manner, mind you, on how they had essentially formed a contract with the community by scheduling a 2009 release, and whatever the excuse is, they broke that.

I got called all kinds of names by the so-called "better people". By all means, I know Black Mesa will be the mod to end all mods, and I don't take for granted the intense work they do, but I feel personally that it's their measure of quality alone that is begging for serious critique.

All the better artists never feel they understand the true measure of their work until they're criticized. It's harsh, but it's necessary. You can't improve if nobody calls you on your mistakes. Me, just being ABLE to model and animate causes people to FAWN over some of my work, entirely overlooking things that would be glaring flaws just because you're so personally impressed. People still give five-stars to work on Youtube that I'm almost ashamed to admit I'd done, but I leave it there as evidence of my improvement.

Of course, I can't BEGIN to find something to criticize in the quality of BMS's models, maps, textures and effects, it's at a level I've yet to reach. I think it's the bee's knees. So, now that they've slipped up, I'm determined to call them on it. It's tough love, if also a LITTLE bit vengeful, lol.

As to WHERE they went wrong, allow me to explain. Does anyone know when Half Life 2, Episode 3 will be released? No, we don't. So in two months, will we be disappointed to realize it's not out yet? Of course not, we never expected it, so how could we be disappointed? But if Valve said they'd release in two months and then delayed? Of course we'd be disappointed.

On the public's side of things, anticipation of a release has two main stages. The first stage is the long-term development. It's done when it's done, we get periodic updates, and nobody is expecting anything anytime soon. This is when people are the most patient.

The second stage, is the imminent release. The date has been marked, and the closer the date gets, the more rabid and impatient the crowd becomes. This is to be expected, but a game developer should ONLY prompt this if they are CERTAIN they can make the date. BMS was smart in it's aftermath damage control, they let everyone know it was no-go at the beginning of December, long before the impatience could reach a high peak. They've still given us all blue-balls for when they'll release, which makes it harder for them, but it's not as bad as telling us on New Year's Eve.

The folks at their forum are a predictably loyal and understanding bunch, almost too much so. They'll wait and stay quiet, anything for their beloved developers.

Their main arguments with me, once I gave my 2-cents was how they'd rather have a complete game than a beta, and how the developers owe the community nothing because their mod is free (you know, as if to say the vast majority of mods aren't). They put BMS on this pinnacle of unaccountability in this sense, and I urge them not to. Not out of spite, but because it's not good for the BMS developers to believe they're immune to criticism, however petty.

Does this sound high and mighty of me? It probably does, but as I said, I'm playing the Devil's Advocate. They may not like what I have to say, but they'd be poorer without hearing it. You can't serve pudding without eating some of your vegetables.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

7. Post #1127
    May 2008
    1,725 Posts
    You got a big agree from me there. I myself was pretty dissapointed about the lack of a release as was a friend of mine. Facepunch and BMS are two sites I frequent often almost to a fault and when I had read that it wasn't going to be released on said round-about date I could have kicked a kitten.

I'm thinking I'll be keeping my lurker status there because of the fact that I may not be as civil towards the normal posters, only because of the fact that the majority of posters there are the kind of people whom if given the chance, would fuck it like a horney chiwawa.

What bothers ME most about information or rather, lack there of is that ramminator and a couple of the other mods almost in spite of requests refuse to put ANY new preview matrial up. Not even a new teaser and that to me is a pretty important part of such a massive mod/game.
    I mean lets be real on the preview media, even 3DRealms has a teaser for Duke Nukem Forever, even if its going to be released in 90475 A.R.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #1128
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,034 Posts
    Quite frankly I lost interest in BMS when they stated they wouldn't release, there's no point in expressing your opinion against their fuck-up with the release on their forums because their fan base is so blindly loyal they'd tear your shit up for blinking wrong at a dev.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

9. Post #1129
    April 2008
    793 Posts
    I wasn't to surpised with their delay to be honest. I figured their still probably mapping Xen or coding the final boss (can't spell its name right.) What pissed me off was the fact they haven't said how much is left to do. If they said "Just finished coding everything got such and such left to do" I would be happy, but they left us with the "We're getting closer!" that could be any span of time. Maybe they haven't told us since they have a shitton left to do :/

10. Post #1130
    May 2008
    1,725 Posts
    Maybe, but maybe they are just being spitefull. Because from all the posts I've read, ramm is kind of a dick.

11. Post #1131
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,034 Posts
    Ramminator is one of those people who thinks they're funny by never doing anything but dick around but in reality just comes off as a completely vestigial member of the dev team.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

12. Post #1132
    April 2008
    793 Posts
    Whoa I just realized J-Dude has 666 posts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #1133
    Whoa I just realized J-Dude has 666 posts.
    Screeny'd:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

14. Post #1134
    December 2007
    1,655 Posts
    Yeesh, getting off THAT particular tile I think...

Waiting for Stratos to come online next so I can ask him about things. Not getting my hopes up yet though.

15. Post #1135
    August 2008
    1,209 Posts
    this is fuckin awsome! i mean amazingly!
    wil there be an snpc for this? like running around and then this thing eats you while burrowing out of the ground :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Hungary Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

16. Post #1136
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,034 Posts
    Yes, did you read the thread? At all? It's the purpose of the models.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #1137
    April 2008
    793 Posts
    To many people speak before they read.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

18. Post #1138
    May 2008
    1,725 Posts
    As the waiting continues, so does my patience.

19. Post #1139
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,034 Posts
    Amen :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #1140
    December 2007
    1,655 Posts
    Thanks for that guys. And I do believe your patience is about to pay off!

Stratos has informed me he has finished with the Shrieker skin, and will have it to me by tomorrow!

He says, "Man youre gonna love this texture. Tried to get it as close as possible to the movie. Right down to the skin on its arse...err, wrinkles xD "

And so, at the VERY least, the Shrieker skin will finally be submitted for your consideration :]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

21. Post #1141
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,034 Posts
    Great news, can't wait for tommorrow :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #1142
    October 2009
    1,923 Posts
    nice! I've been silently following this thread in joy, Horror, and anticipation; and I personally can't wait to this this through to fruition.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

23. Post #1143
    April 2008
    793 Posts
    /speechless
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #1144
    August 2008
    456 Posts
    Aha, progress. Mmm, tastes like vanilla.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #1145
    May 2008
    1,725 Posts
    Progress tastes like vanilla? I'd say it tastes like the mixin's for sweet, sweet victory!

26. Post #1146
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,034 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

27. Post #1147
    December 2007
    1,655 Posts
    Hey, sorry to disappoint folks, but I'm going to bed, and I've yet to contact or be contacted by Stratos, not for lack of trying, I assure you I was looking forward to the great unveiling quite as much as any of you.

Stratos has an infuriating tendency to suddenly sign onto Steam, and apparently be AFK for LONG stretches of time. I don't even understand it really, his status says he's online, yet (like today) he can be online for about four hours, under regular message bombardment from myself, and disconnect and reconnect to Steam at regular intervals before going offline for good.

I don't know how this can be, you can't really ignore a Steam message, they're pretty loud. And the idea that he's signing off manually and without reply either implies some very strange technical error or just plain evasion, and I can see no reason for the latter.

Anyway, I'm going to keep on his AVP-loving ass until I finally talk to him and not his abandoned computer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #1148
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,034 Posts
    The pressure's getting to em', next thing you know
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #1149
    July 2009
    175 Posts
    Cool. Soon we will se the magic wonders of STRATOS! BEHOLD! *whisper* where is he?* ............. And crowd goes down like a jet plane that got hit by a SAM................
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #1150
    January 2010
    2 Posts
    Ive been watching this thread for a while, i thought it was very interesting, even though it got side tracked a number of times, but that really doesnt matter. I made myself an account up here to say that i think these models should be included in a full fledged HL2 Tremors mod. i think we should band together or whatever and make this happen, because i would love to be dragged backwards along a virtual desert in a virtual truck by a sexy sexy virtual graboid. opinions?

31. Post #1151
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,034 Posts
    sexy sexy virtual graboid
    Hey man, whatever floats your boat :smug:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

32. Post #1152
    December 2007
    1,655 Posts
    Another night, another no-show...

Sorry folks, he crept online now and again, as usual, but once more those nibbles never seemed to take the hook.

I don't get it, I don't see what's going wrong, I'm getting tired of this real quick. I may not be the most prompt person in the world, but I have a policy about giving out uncertain information where dates are concerned. At the very least I ought to be seeing WIP pics, but he never delivers so much as a LOOK until he's done.

I swear, when I finally talk to HIM, I'm not laying off him until we both have each others' email-addresses logged. Our sole means of contact cannot be Steam, which doesn't have a private message feature to begin with.

33. Post #1153
    August 2008
    456 Posts
    Another night, another no-show...

Sorry folks, he crept online now and again, as usual, but once more those nibbles never seemed to take the hook.

I don't get it, I don't see what's going wrong, I'm getting tired of this real quick. I may not be the most prompt person in the world, but I have a policy about giving out uncertain information where dates are concerned. At the very least I ought to be seeing WIP pics, but he never delivers so much as a LOOK until he's done.

I swear, when I finally talk to HIM, I'm not laying off him until we both have each others' email-addresses logged. Our sole means of contact cannot be Steam, which doesn't have a private message feature to begin with.
    Track his IP, go to his address, confront him mano-a-mano.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

34. Post #1154
    April 2008
    793 Posts
    Nah, its all part of a early April fools joke.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

35. Post #1155
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,034 Posts
    Nah, its all part of a early April fools joke.
    Or a really late one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #1156
    July 2009
    175 Posts
    Damn straigt!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

37. Post #1157
    May 2008
    1,725 Posts
    So I'm kind of certain that some of us have been franticly checking back here for an update for some time now.

Although I can't give any updates, primarily because I'm not in on the project but I would like to ask the OP spearhead of this thread & project:

Is there anything new?

/attempt at stylish question

38. Post #1158
    December 2007
    1,655 Posts
    Well, I found out why now and then I see Stratos on but never get a response. It's because someone else in his family is playing and they just don't answer me. Usually one of his cousins.

I've spoken to him a few times, but every time was while he was on his laptop without the file. He knows my email address, but he's tried sending it three times and I've never received anything. If you're thinking about how ridiculous this all is, tell me about it man, nobody can feel it more than me, and that's a promise.

Anyway, computer news.

I've had all the necessary parts for my new build, and have been installing pertinent parts as I've gotten them. I forgot if I've said this, but on receiving my motherboard, I realized the motherboard was too small to fit in my case, and I'm beginning to wonder if my old PC's case and board were built as proprietary for HP PC's, much like how Dell might do. So I bought myself a well-rated CoolerMaster Centurion CAC-5 case, and started building. My processor came a little bit later, and I got my 8gb's of OCZ-Gold PC6400 DDR2 RAM (800mghz) on my birthday.

Long story short, all those components are installed proper. I needed a neighbor's help to understand the front-panel wiring process, but now understanding that "G" means "Ground", and "Ground" means "negative charge/ - " I don't think I'll have that problem again. Basically, all I needed to do was move my optical drives, 8800gt and 600 watt PSU to boot up and start a new era for me.

Now, I know nothing about the BIOS, so I've been waiting for a neighbor I trust to know everything about computers to show up. In the meantime, I decided I'd try and better understand power supplies, as I've heard wattage doesn't give a clear-cut definition of power capability.

Well, my research told me that my 600 Watt isn't technically good enough to be running my OLD computer. The big reason being that the important factor is how many amps are on a certain volt-rail. My PSU has three 12-volt rails, which are what the GPU runs off of. The greatest of these rails only has an 18-amp capacity. The 8800GT running in my computer RIGHT NOW requires a MINIMUM of 22-amps on the 12V to run stably.

Yeah...my immediate reaction?

"Aww, shit..."

So, knowing now WHAT TO LOOK FOR in a PSU, I went down to Newegg.com and looked for a quality model. What I've found is the Corsair CMPSU-750TX

THIS baby is rated Best PSU of 2009, with 60-amps on a single 12V rail, 28 on the 5V, and 30 on the 3.3V, all summing up to one big 750 Watt that ought to last me well into my next GPU upgrade, easy.

On the bright side, I won't have to rip the old PSU from the old machine, and once everything is ready, my little brother (who is inheriting my old computer) will be able to use it right away once we transfer optical drives and GPU's.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #1159
    September 2009
    196 Posts
    so basically you're creating a super-awesome-sauce compy? those specs 'n stuff are kickin'!
    I hope stratos and you figure out a way to get the files from him... I really want this.

40. Post #1160
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,034 Posts
    Sucks that Stratos is totally dropping the ball with giving you the textures.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)