surface_extend_hesitate:
    surface_painedthrash:
    surface_extend_painedthrash:
    slurp_launch:
    beach:
    beach_idle:
    beach_pain:
    beach_scream:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Useful Useful x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #1322
    December 2008
    78 Posts
    Sorry about my last two posts everyone, my little brother got on here and well....yeahh.... >.<
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

3. Post #1323
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,941 Posts
    riiiiiight
    anyway, i say about six months and theyre snpcs

4. Post #1324
    December 2008
    78 Posts
    riiiiiight
    anyway, i say about six months and theyre snpcs
    Six?

5. Post #1325
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,025 Posts
    I wouldn't say six months, but definitely around a month or maybe two, making the Graboid (and indeed pretty much any of the more complex portions of the pack as a whole) work as intended flawlessly sounds like a real challenge, even for Silverlan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

6. Post #1326
    December 2007
    1,640 Posts
    Update:

Highlight= Done
    Italics=WIP

Creep:
    run:
    run_breach:
    run_fear:

fall:
    surface_intro:
    surface_intro_to_surface:
    surface:
    surface_attack:
    surface_attack_intro
    surface_attack_loop
    surface_tongueretract:
    surface_tonguedamage:
    surface_extend:

surface_submerge:
    surface_extent_attack:
    surface_extend_submerge:
    surface_extend_tongueretract:
    surface_extend_tonguedamage:
    surface_die:
    surface_extend_die:
    surface_hesitate:
    surface_extend_hesitate:
    surface_painedthrash:
    slurp_launch:
    beach:
    beach_idle:
    beach_pain:
    beach_scream:
    ~

As to the required work, don't forget guys that there's a lot more to all this.

On top of everything, I need to create an altered Graboid ragdoll that's split open (for death-falls or Shrieker clutches), gibs for most of the creatures in cases of explody-death, a pipe-bomb, Burt's Elephant Gun (William Moore & Co. 8 gauge shotgun), Bert's Grizzly .50 cal, A model for Burt, with custom sounds and animations. Naturally, we can't forget Hiram Gumme's Punt Gun (will probably be a SENT because it's so comically huge, but who knows) or the Gatling Gun (will likely be a vehicle, due to it's wheels and mounted nature).

So yeah, there's still lots to do...

7. Post #1327
    December 2008
    78 Posts
    Update:

Highlight= Done
    Italics=WIP

Creep:
    run:
    run_breach:
    run_fear:

fall:
    surface_intro:
    surface_intro_to_surface:
    surface:
    surface_attack:
    surface_attack_intro
    surface_attack_loop
    surface_tongueretract:
    surface_tonguedamage:
    surface_extend:

surface_submerge:
    surface_extent_attack:
    surface_extend_submerge:
    surface_die:
    surface_extend_die:
    surface_hesitate:
    surface_extend_hesitate:
    surface_painedthrash:
    slurp_launch:
    beach:
    beach_idle:
    beach_pain:
    beach_scream:
    ~

As to the required work, don't forget guys that there's a lot more to all this.

On top of everything, I need to create an altered Graboid ragdoll that's split open (for death-falls or Shrieker clutches), gibs for most of the creatures in cases of explody-death, a pipe-bomb, Burt's Elephant Gun (William Moore & Co. 8 gauge shotgun), Bert's Grizzly .50 cal, A model for Burt, with custom sounds and animations. Naturally, we can't forget Hiram Gumme's Punt Gun (will probably be a SENT because it's so comically huge, but who knows) or the Gatling Gun (will likely be a vehicle, due to it's wheels and mounted nature).

So yeah, there's still lots to do...

I have no idea what ANY of that means, but I admire your dedication and obvious skill.

8. Post #1328
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,025 Posts
    Wait what you are actually making stuff aside from the Graboids?

Awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

9. Post #1329
    December 2008
    138 Posts
    Long time no see :)

10. Post #1330

May 2011
    20 Posts
    I'm very Interested in these, any progress?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

11. Post #1331
    May 2009
    1,290 Posts
    i was watching tremors 3 last night, and it when it got to the end when they make the arrow gun and kill the "ass-blasters" which gave me a idea for the snpc
    if you kill them using bullets they don't explode, but if you use lets say, a grenade it causes them to explode and rain guts and parts all over.

is it a good idea? or does it help at all
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

12. Post #1332
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    1,753 Posts
    considering that the last real post was back in march, i'd say it doesnt

13. Post #1333

June 2011
    3 Posts
    hmm ive been waiting for 3 years :3 lolz Xd Trololololol:twisted::wtf:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

14. Post #1334
    July 2010
    76 Posts
    Bump?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

15. Post #1335
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    1,753 Posts
    this project is long dead, rip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #1336
    December 2007
    1,640 Posts
    Dead?

Nah. Just comatose.

I'm not often a very focused person, and if I feel like working on something else, I usually do.

I've no intention of leaving those animations for dead, especially after getting those ragdolls all working. So don't worry, once the mood strikes me, I'll be up and running again. I just have to get excited about it, is all.

17. Post #1337
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    5,473 Posts
    Well, good to know the project isn't dead.

18. Post #1338
    December 2007
    1,640 Posts
    Update:

Highlight= Done
    Italics=WIP

Creep:
    run:
    run_breach:
    run_fear:

fall:
    surface_intro:
    surface_intro_to_surface
    surface:
    surface_attack:
    surface_attack_intro:
    surface_attack_loop:
    surface_tongueretract:
    surface_tonguedamage:
    surface_extend:
    surface_submerge:
    surface_extent_attack:
    surface_extent_attack_loop:

surface_extend_submerge:
    surface_die:
    surface_extend_die:
    surface_hesitate:
    surface_extend_hesitate:
    surface_painedthrash:

slurp_launch:
    beach:
    beach_idle:
    beach_pain:
    beach_scream:
    ~

Welcome back folks...

It's about damn time, eh? :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

19. Post #1339
    December 2010
    883 Posts
    0-o Wow I thought this thread died.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #1340
    December 2007
    1,640 Posts
    Update:

Highlight= Done
    Italics=WIP

Creep:
    run:
    run_breach:
    run_fear:

fall:
    surface_intro:
    surface_intro_to_surface
    surface:
    surface_attack:
    surface_attack_intro:
    surface_attack_loop:
    surface_tongueretract:
    surface_tonguedamage:
    surface_extend:
    surface_submerge:
    surface_extent_attack:
    surface_extent_attack_loop:
    surface_extend_submerge:
    surface_die:
    surface_extend_die:
    surface_hesitate:
    surface_extend_hesitate:
    surface_painedthrash:
    slurp_launch:

beach:
    beach_idle:
    beach_pain:
    beach_scream:
    ~

Just another update before I head to work ;-)

21. Post #1341

January 2012
    8 Posts
    I am so excited about this X3

22. Post #1342
    December 2007
    1,640 Posts
    Animations...
    are...
    DONE...

Well, for the Graboid anyway.
    I'm in the midst of some math homework right now, but I've exported all the SMD's and with a few hiccups compiled the files into a functional MDL, and according to the model viewer, all the animations work as desired.

I've gotten into contact with Silverlan, and he's still game for the coding and such. I'll be sending him all the necessary content, so he can get cracking when he has time. A couple movement animations may or may not need to be rejiggered, but it'll be minor. Silverlan himself could fix it if needed, since he's learned how to work in programs like Max or Maya himself, with some advice from me now and then. Having a fully underground creature is a little uncharted for GMod npc's, so there's bound to be a learning curve, but on-paper it works.

As I crunch numbers for class, I'm rendering out the animation sequences for a video, just like I did for the Shrieker. This time however, I'm rendering out in 720p (gotta get with the times, right?) and using physical sun/sky plus global illumination in the render, so the video won't be so flat-looking, but don't expect those graphics to look like that in the game, lol.

Will update as stuff happens. After the vid is rendered and uploaded, I'll be working to make the Grablet into a textured, functional ragdoll (it's been FAR too long for that thing to sit shelved). The Assblaster will be next for animation, and I think I might roll with finishing the animation stuff off so I can introduce the next and FINAL fun part of any Tremors sorta'-mod...

GORE...!

Yeah, once all the main stuff is done, I can make bloody, ragdollized giblets and the like. Because this just wouldn't be Tremors without some orange, slimy nylons hanging off your car antenna...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #1343
    December 2007
    1,640 Posts
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/116...5#post34937755

And for your patience, I thank you :-)

24. Post #1344
    December 2007
    1,640 Posts
    ...The above is a link to a video thread, by the way.

So, now that that's all done with, I'm gearing up to animate the AssBlaster. Done some planning on the animations it'll need, and this is what I've come up with so far.

Idle
    Walk
    Run
    Detect
    Sidestep_l
    Sidestep_r
    Posture
    Charge_start
    Charge_loop
    Charge_end
    Attack1
    Attack2
    Attack3
    Flame_attack
    Pain
    Blastoff
    Glide_idle
    Glide_hiss
    Glide_BankL
    Glide_BankL_idle
    Glide_BankL_level
    Glide_BankR
    Glide_BankR_idle
    Glide_BankR_level
    Dive_idle
    Dive_land

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feel free to add your own suggestions, if it seems like I'm missing anything. Yeah, I know I could put an "eat" animation in there somewhere, so it could get a food coma and ragdollize for a while, but... honestly that just doesn't sound fun, or even worth the time. Yeah, it'd be a feature from the movies, but it'd be something you kinda' shrug at in-game, and I think that poor Silverlan has enough coding woes from my end already. I mean seriously, the guy is a champ. He's going to code an npc that lives underground, an npc that multiplies, and an npc that flies, and that description doesn't do it justice.

25. Post #1345
    December 2010
    883 Posts
    Can you give a explanation on how the Npc will work. How they are spawned, what they do and such.
    So far they will act like there movie counter parts much as you make it sound am I correct?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

26. Post #1346
    December 2007
    1,640 Posts
    Can you give a explanation on how the Npc will work. How they are spawned, what they do and such.
    So far they will act like there movie counter parts much as you make it sound am I correct?
    To the best of my and Silverlan's ability, they'll work as close to the films as possible. Spawning them will be like any other npc, but given enough time they will change into the other forms in a continuous life-cycle. The main idea is, given Shriekers multiply, I want it to be possible for a server to become overrun, like an unchecked Graboid infestation might do.

Well, a quick update on things with the AssBlaster.

It took me a while to find all my stuff again, as well as the most up-to-date parts of the control-model. And when I did it took me a while to remember what I was doing, and suddenly I understood why I stopped working last time, lol.

Apparently I hadn't been satisfied with the AB's current UV's after an intense 3D course, and I actually used Maya to improve the UV's, and updated the textures to match it. However, upon exporting back to Max as an OBJ file, evidently I ended up working with something inherently flawed. Somewhere along the line, the UV's were trashed. I notice that the export triangulated all my quad-polygons. I think the frustration I must have endured made me put off working, and this is why I've disconnected from the project until now.

However, seeing this with fresher eyes (eyes that don't even REMEMBER making those textures) I know a way to work around this. Exporting to an FBX file instead of an OBJ stopped the triangulation, and I have a lot of hope that this will work out now.

An exported reference SMD comes back in with all the UV's and rigging intact, but it remains to be seen if it still functions in the model viewer. Unfortunately I have school soon, so I can't find out until after nine tonight... I hate Thursdays...

Will keep you all up to speed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

27. Post #1347
    December 2007
    1,640 Posts
    Well, turns out I'm just a forgetful idiot...

After an exhausting amount of time spent figuring it all out, I compiled a working MDL only to re-download the version on garrysmod.org and realize... it's the same texture. Yeah, I know, it really WAS just that I forgot I succeeded at fixing it.

Wasn't a complete waste though; the good news is I also found three animations for the AssBlaster. These took up the majority of my time tonight, because exporting them wasn't a great option as they were. Turned out I animated these using old versions of the model and skeleton, and unfortunately, all the bones in the left leg were created using a mirror function, which takes objects or geometry and creates a flipped version of them. It's great for modelling something symmetrical, but stupid me, I didn't realize Source had a big problem with mirrored bones.

Long story short, both the new and old rigs use the same controller objects, and the legs themselves are controlled through those, and not directly, so I exported the animations by saving the animation data of the controllers, importing them to a file with the new rig, and tidy up after the foul-ups.

While my compile meant dick for the texture, my animations work just fine in the model viewer, and that alone is worth my time.

I now realize I've yet to bother capturing sound effects for the AB's, so before I go any further into animation, I'm going to sift through Tremors 3 and grab sounds.

28. Post #1348
    December 2007
    1,640 Posts
    Yeesh... I rarely dream, but last night I had a doozy. I actually dreamed that my family, extended family and I were living in some mining colony that looked like Megaton from Fallout 3, except there were mines in it... Graboids started coming to life deep in the mines, and the Graboids turned into the Ceph from Crysis 2... which I guess makes sense, since Graboids are technically cephalopods... Still, it was weird...

Anyway, recorded all the sounds I could off my DVD (I own the "Tremors Attack Pack" ) and now in the process of sorting them. Not a lot else to report other than how given the "samey" nature of the AssBlaster's sound effects, I doubt they won any awards in sound design...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #1349
    December 2007
    1,640 Posts
    Idle
    Idle2
    Walk
    Run
    Detect
    Sidestep_l
    Sidestep_r
    Posture

Charge_start
    Charge_loop
    Charge_end
    Attack1
    Attack2
    Attack3
    Flame_attack
    Pain
    Blastoff
    Glide_idle
    Glide_hiss
    Glide_BankL
    Glide_BankL_idle
    Glide_BankL_level
    Glide_BankR
    Glide_BankR_idle
    Glide_BankR_level
    Dive_idle
    Dive_land

~~~~~~~~~~~

Alright, off to a pretty good start I think... Trying to get the ground-based movement stuff done first, as it's always the hardest, most fiddly stuff to do.

If you're wondering what's taken so long, it's a mix of school, work and a new RC helicopter my dumbass 17 year old brother managed to annihilate in five minutes by letting it climb higher than the surrounding houses, get caught by upper-elevation winds, and lose control of it until it lost power all at once and fell four stories onto concrete...

...and into the very backyard of our next door neighbors, whose nephew was the pilot of one of the helicopters in that military collision in Arizona a few days ago... Said nephew did not survive... and my brother crashed a toy helicopter loudly and spectacularly in their fucking backyard... classy... Let alone that chopper isn't cheap, and just about every component save for the rotors and inner body needs repair or replacement...

...What? Off topic? I really couldn't care less, that shit's pissed me off all day...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #1350
    December 2010
    883 Posts
    The ending of that post......

31. Post #1351
    December 2007
    1,640 Posts
    Alright, been doing some serious work, intermixed with a 50-polygon ammo box I had to model, texture and everything else for my class...

And that's not a render either, that's just the high-quality mode in the viewport.

But anyway, here's my progress on the AssBlaster Animations:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idle
    Idle2
    Walk
    Run
    Detect
    Sidestep_l
    Sidestep_r
    Posture
    Charge_start
    Charge_loop
    Charge_end
    Attack1
    Attack2
    Attack3
    Flame_attack

Pain
    Blastoff
    Glide_idle
    Glide_hiss
    Glide_BankL
    Glide_BankL_idle
    Glide_BankL_level
    Glide_BankR
    Glide_BankR_idle
    Glide_BankR_level
    Dive_idle
    Dive_land
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #1352
    March 2010
    14 Posts
    This is gonna be so chaotic when it gets dedicated tremors servers. This is going to rock. XD

33. Post #1353
    December 2007
    1,640 Posts
    Animations are DONE, including an added animation for recovering from a crash-landing, as I want the AssBlaster to ragdollize if it collides with something in midair, and having the ragdoll hilariously go from sprawled on the floor one second to up on its feet the next (like say, the "Fus Roh Dah" SWEP on the GMod Toybox) would be a little too silly.

I also had a brainwave and thought I could animate the Shrieker's limbs changing size as it metamorphoses into an AssBlaster or something like that, but it started getting really ugly, and scaling parent bones one way makes the child bones do some wacky things, and it just stopped seeming worth it.

Sleeping now, but will start rendering out the animations for another vid in the morning. Might take longer than the Graboid vid, since I want to actually simulate a little fluid dynamics for the animations involving the butt-flames. It'd look silly to have it posing like it's shooting flames, and for no flames to be seen. Shouldn't be too tough, or take too long. The AB's blast flames in Tremors 3 were never the biggest spectacle, so it's not like I'll be simulating much.

34. Post #1354
    December 2007
    1,640 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #1355
    December 2010
    883 Posts
    While its good too see the work progressing and how the animations work, I like to see If even possible by now a video of actual Gmod gameplay of the creatures. Seeing another program showing off only shows how they May or should be acting but not how they appear in game.

36. Post #1356
    December 2007
    1,640 Posts
    While its good too see the work progressing and how the animations work, I like to see If even possible by now a video of actual Gmod gameplay of the creatures. Seeing another program showing off only shows how they May or should be acting but not how they appear in game.
    I'd like to see that too, but at the moment Silverlan is the only one who would have seen any of it working in-game, aside from the ragdolls of course. I honestly have no idea how far along he is on any of it, and I don't know how long it'll take him, especially given his constant work on his "Aftermath" game mode.

But for now, I think I ought to report that the Grablet is now fully mapped, textured and rigged.

Took longer than I expected actually. After some Photoshop work on the original UV's, I realized my mapping was shit, which is almost to be expected of mapping in Max. So, I exported to Maya, which gave me such problems with the mapping that I had to exactly re-model the body (thank Dawkins for vertex-snapping) before I could properly map it.

Once I did, I had a simple time texturing the sucker out, including normal and specular maps. It's a good thing I found reference images of the actual Grablet props up for auction on a sci-fi website. And of course, the Grablet body is pretty simple, so skinning it to a skeleton was pretty standard.

Next thing is to make a working collision model and turn this sucker into a proper ragdoll, but I'll take a temporary break and fuck around in GMod for a bit while listening to this week's edition of "The Atheist Experience". Can't burn myself out after all...

37. Post #1357
    December 2007
    1,640 Posts
    Bleh...

A LONG night of tweaking VMT's and remembering how to put spec maps in alpha channels and build fresh QCs and finally I have the Grablet looking the way I want it to in GMod...

Of course though, the ragdoll is behaving very spasmodically, which probably means the collision model is a tad bloated, but I can take care of that tomorrow.

I'll have pics and maybe even a stable upload of the ragdoll for you guys soon. For now, it's 4:18 in the damn morning, and I've earned myself some sleep, damnit...

Zzzzzzz...

38. Post #1358
    December 2007
    1,640 Posts
    Woohoo!

http://facepunch.com/threads/893083/2?highlight=

Head on down if you want to download the Grablet ragdoll! It's up and ready :-)

39. Post #1359
    December 2007
    1,640 Posts
    Been off-game for a few days, owing entirely to my modeling and texturing class. I had to model and texture a prop using 250 polygons and a 512x512 texture map.

... I figured this might be a nice opportunity to cross my work with my... play-work (?)

I know my "gm_perfection" map idea never got off the ground, but if there's anything I've learned from all this, it's that if you ever want something done right (or at all) you've got to do it yourself.

... Well, except coding... Being a jack-of-all-trades can only go so far y'know. Silverlan is a reliable guy anyway (and his Skyrim snpc's kick ass).

Anyway, this model was turned in as an assignment today, and according to my hardass/badass 3d instructor, it's the best work I ever turned in to him in either of the two classes I took with him. Personally, I'm more proud of the ammo-box, but I'm pretty satisfied with this.

Hehe, my next assignment is to model a weapon with 750 polygons and a 1024x1024 texture... Elephant Gun might not work, especially since he specified "don't just do a shotgun, do something harder". The Grizzly .50 Cal might not be a bad pick though...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #1360

January 2012
    8 Posts
    Ooh I can't wait for the map and the snpc's this'll be awesome! X3