1. Post #1
    September 2008
    5 Posts
    So I've gotten rather sick of all the people who have no idea how to set up a server to run with DarkRP, as a result I am going to attempt to create an idiot proof guide to setting one up.

Before I get started I will state that a lot of this is derived from (or even right out copied from) the "dedicated Server Setup" page on the Garry's Mod Wiki.

1: Install hldsupdatetool

Download from:
    http://www.steampowered.com/download/hldsupdatetool.exe

During the install change the destination folder to "C:\srcds". The reason you do this is because when troubleshooting or following any other tutorials this is the folder that will be referred to. So this is to prevent further confusion. Leave everything else in the install untouched.

Now we need to open a CMD window. To do this click your Start Menu. It should be located in

"All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt". For those of you who are a little more computer savy open "Run..." type "cmd" and press enter.

Type the following once the CMD window is open:
    cd C:\srcds
    hldsupdatetool
    Wait for it to finish. It won't really say that it is finished. If you give it about two minutes and it's stopped doing anything it probably is. Press enter and you should see just:
    C:\srcds>
    Do NOT close the CMD window.

2: Install Garry's Mod Files

Type:
    hldsupdatetool -command update -game garrysmod -dir C:\srcds
    This will download all the Garry's Mod files. This will take awhile but it does show the percentage.

3: Install Counter-Strike: Source Files

Type:
    hldsupdatetool -command update -game "Counter-Strike Source" -dir C:\srcds
    Once again this will show a percentage. Wait till it is done, then open Windows Explorer.

Navigate to your "C:\srcds" folder. Cut the "C:\srcds\cstrike" folder and paste it inside of "C:\srcds\orangebox". You do this because otherwise your server will not be able to properly use Counter-Strike content.

ALTERNATIVE METHOD:
    I haven't tested this myself but theoretically it should work. In the CMD window instead type:
    hldsupdatetool -command update -game "Counter-Strike Source" -dir C:\srcds\orangebox
    If someone could confirm this works I'll replace the method I know works with these instructions.

4 (OPTIONAL): Install Half-Life: Episode 2 and/or Portal Files

For this I'll refer you to another tutorial that did a great job telling me how to install the extra content. If you only want EP2 content then just ignore instructions about Portal, or vice versa.

http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/s...d.php?t=480444

5: Installing the latest version of DarkRP with TortoiseSVN

If you haven't already you can close the CMD window now. TortoiseSVN is a program which will update addons that have an SVN repository to their latest version. First thing you'll want to do is download, install, and restart your computer. Here is the download page:
    http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads

In this tutorial I will only show how to install the SVN versions of both the DarkRP folders. If you want SVN versions of other addons, just search for tutorials on those, they are not uncommon.

Go to your "C:\srcds\orangebox\garrysmod\addons" folder. Right-click, "New > Folder", name it "Simple RP Prop Protection". Right-click the folder you just made and click "SVN Checkout..." In the text box that says "URL of repository" enter this:
    After that is finished it will say "Completed At revision: #". Now go to your "C:\srcds\orangebox\garrysmod\gamemodes" folder. Create another folder and name it "DarkRP". Right-click the folder you just made and click "SVN Checkout..." In the text box that says "URL of repository" enter this:
    Once that is finished you are done installing the DarkRP gamemode.

6: Editing server.cfg and autoexec.cfg

Go to your "C:\srcds\orangebox\garrysmod\cfg" folder. Open "autoexec.cfg" with notepad.

Enter the following line:
    sv_defaultgamemode DarkRP

This will default the server to launch with DarkRP mode enabled. Now open your "server.cfg" file with notepad. Enter the following:
    hostname           "XXXXXXXXXX"
    sv_defaultgamemode "DarkRP"
    rcon_password      "XXXXXXXXXX"
    sbox_noclip        "0"
    sbox_godmode       "0"
    sbox_plpldamage    "0"
    rp_toolgun         "1"
    sbox_maxprops      "1000"
    sbox_maxragdolls   "0"
    sbox_maxeffects    "0"
    sbox_maxdynamite   "0"
    sbox_maxlamps      "0"
    sbox_maxthrusters  "0"
    sbox_maxwheels     "4"
    sbox_maxhoverballs "0"
    sbox_maxvehicles   "0"
    sbox_maxbuttons    "20"
    sbox_maxemitters   "0"
    sbox_maxspawners   "0"
    sbox_maxturrets    "0"

Change the "XXXXXXXXXX" values to something of your choosing. They represent the server name and console password, respectively. You can change the "sbox" values according to your liking.

7: Creating a Shortcut
    Almost done, now we need to create the shortcut to launch the server. Right-Click on your desktop, "New > Shortcut". Name it anything you want, for example "DarkRP Server". Right-click go to Properties. In the target textbox type:
    C:\srcds\orangebox\srcds.exe -console -game garrysmod +map XXXXX +maxplayers XX -autoupdate
    Replace the X's with your desired mapname and slot count, respectively. I'll assume you know how to put a map in the maps folder. For the map name do NOT include the file extension (.bsp).

8: Allow others to join

Click this link:
    http://portforward.com/english/appli...erverindex.htm

Find your router model and follow the instructions there. You will need to find out what your local IP address is. To do this open up the CMD window again and type "ipconfig".

9: Your done!

Your done the basics of setting up a DarkRP server! Add on other addons as you see fit. Here are the other ones I use:

WireMod - SVN Version
    PHX - SVN Version
    Conna's Tools Pack
    DoorSTool
    Keypad
    PCMOD - SVN Version
    WeightSTool
    NewAdmin - SVN Version
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb x 27Useful x 12Informative x 6Funny x 5Agree x 4Winner x 4Bad Spelling x 2Late x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    32 Posts
    Thank you for the guide, but I'm having a small problem. Every time I try to start the server, it just instantly crashes? Is there a certain fix for this? I don't get any error message, the command window just closes out the second it starts. I've ran dedicated servers before, but I still get new problems with them every time.

Whoops... just found my problem. I installed garrysmod first, then counter-strike into the same directory. Counter-strike over-wrote the bin files so where garrysmod was corrupt. Problem solved for anyone else who does the same thing I did.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3

September 2008
    14 Posts
    what are the ports needed for a Gmod Server?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

4. Post #4
    September 2008
    5 Posts
    xjimmy94 posted:
    what are the ports needed for a Gmod Server?
    27015, that's all. The link at the very end tells you that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5

September 2008
    14 Posts
    That link only shows how to port forward not the ports at least i could not find it. any ways i forwarded 27015 and 27005 but its still not working. is there another port i need to forward or some thing. (my firewall is not on.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

6. Post #6
    September 2008
    5 Posts
    xjimmy94 posted:
    That link only shows how to port forward not the ports at least i could not find it. any ways i forwarded 27015 and 27005 but its still not working. is there another port i need to forward or some thing. (my firewall is not on.)
    It actually does if you actually look and read everything on the pages. Most likely is that you are using the wrong local IP address. Or your didn't check an Enable box somewhere.

7. Post #7
    January 2008
    503 Posts
    Can this be stickied?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Korea, Republic of Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    650 Posts
    Well any port can be used you just have to edit it in the batch file and the server.cfg :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    September 2008
    5 Posts
    nofear1999 posted:
    Well any port can be used you just have to edit it in the batch file and the server.cfg :)
    Correct, I just tried to make this guide stupid simple.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    650 Posts
    yeah if anyone would like to know how exactly Ill show you :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,524 Posts
    -snip-
    It went wrong since my
    Code:
    ''
    werent the same as the one in usa. Lame.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

12. Post #12
    November 2007
    21 Posts
    http://darkrp.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Simple RP Prop Protection won't work ! :/

13. Post #13
    Get your own DarkRP Server!
    January 2006
    5,635 Posts
    Remove the simple RP prop protection from your guide, it's now merged with DarkRP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    October 2008
    14 Posts
    the counterstrike in srcds/orangebox doesnt work for me for some reason
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #15
    February 2009
    65 Posts
    heeeeyyyyy i dont have the server.cfg file?!?!?! do i makes it??
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    December 2008
    34 Posts
    I always forward 27005 to 27015 TCP and UDP. It works with no problems

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2008
    1,186 Posts
    There are more ports than just those.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    April 2009
    20 Posts
    There are more ports than just those.
    i have no server.cfg too ???
    create one ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    8,442 Posts
    yes

20. Post #20
    August 2009
    959 Posts
    We dont need more darkrp servers and if people wish for one we dont need more dakrp servers that are run off laptops by little kids and also! we dont need more darkrp servers that are dedicated and use there mums credit card

Other than that good guide

:regd08:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 3 (list)

21. Post #21

September 2009
    1 Posts
    We dont need more darkrp servers and if people wish for one we dont need more dakrp servers that are run off laptops by little kids and also! we dont need more darkrp servers that are dedicated and use there mums credit card

Other than that good guide

:regd08:
    Ummm..... You do know that steam dedicated servers are free right? so I dont know what you mean by "we dont need more darkrp servers that are dedicated and use there mums credit card".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Late Late x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    650 Posts
    Nice bump.....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23

November 2009
    6 Posts
    Quick QUestion... Would it be too much to run the server on my computer that I play Gmod on? Do people usually do this?

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    716 Posts
    Quick QUestion... Would it be too much to run the server on my computer that I play Gmod on? Do people usually do this?
    You could do this. Advice: Dual processors or more required

Double advice: Try to run both server and game on different physical hard disks which each have their own SATA 2 connection to the mobo

Triple advice: Lots of ram.

25. Post #25
    July 2009
    13 Posts
    How do i change the default map for which the server uses?

26. Post #26

December 2009
    3 Posts
    eek i hate to bump, but the port forwarding is killing me. i got the server all set up but i can not get the port forwarding right.

I follow all the steps on portforwarding.com right in tell i get to where it tells me to go to filters and then i go blank not knowing what to do.

I have a SOHO Router.

this is what it says (where i have no idea what the hell to do):

This page lets you block traffic into and out of your router. We need to make sure that the ports you are forwarding are not shown on this page. Remember, I am showing you how to use the page so you can remove the ports you are forwarding from it. Your port forwarding configuration will not work if the ports you are forwarding are on this page. Make sure that a port range here does not contain the ports you are forwarding. I'm going to go over the boxes on this page. The Filtering Layer drop down box will generally be set to Port Filtering to filter ports. The Proto Num box will be grayed out, so we will not do anything with it. The Direction drop down allows you to select traffic coming into or going out of your network. The Private Port Range box will let you enter the ports to block. The lowest port number in the range should go into the box on the left. The highest port number in the range should go into the box on the right. If you only plan on blocking one port enter that port number into both of these boxes. Use the Protocol drop down box to select the port protocol of the blocked ports.

my xfire: reversflux5352

steam: NICKER

help would beh nice!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

27. Post #27

January 2010
    80 Posts
    So, when the Dedicated Server box opens on my screen, the UDP Port should be 27015 right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

28. Post #28

January 2010
    11 Posts
    when i log onto my server the f4 and door options dont work ANY HELP

29. Post #29

November 2007
    17 Posts
    great guide but i got a little problem about SVN...... its fucked itself now all i get is "URL 'http://darkrp.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/DarkRP' doesn't exist" any help?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

30. Post #30

March 2010
    15 Posts
    this may seem like a noob question but how do you get the .bsp extension out whenever i load the darkrp server it just says map file not found or invalid....and when you launch your server do you launch gmod also or is only the desktop icon the one you have to use?

31. Post #31
    Gold Member

March 2010
    149 Posts
    help i have done every thing protforwad,world IPaddress the lot but it still wont go from lan
    plz help

ps my rooter is a bthomehub

32. Post #32

March 2010
    1 Posts
    worst guide iv seen, missing cfg files such as server, autoconfig is blank. Really is this the best you can do ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

33. Post #33
    August 2009
    304 Posts
    worst guide iv seen, missing cfg files such as server, autoconfig is blank. Really is this the best you can do ?
    You have to create those cfg files you fuctard
    Auto config is blank by default captain obvious.
    2010ers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Philippines Show Events Winner Winner x 4Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34

December 2009
    13 Posts
    Do you need Half life 2 : Episode 2?

Edited:

At mine it says " GetHSteamUser didn't got found in the DLL-Libary steam_api.dll.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

35. Post #35
    CD drives eject stuff, my ass ejects stuff, therefore my ass must be a CD drive.
    July 2009
    4,590 Posts
    Thanks.

You've just provided the already shit server list with more DarkRP servers being run by 7 year olds.

You're good at writing idiot-proof tutorials, can't you write one that won't cause irreversible damage to my soul?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Oh god now a thousand more DarkRP servers will surface, .. brilliant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    April 2010
    271 Posts
    does this work in gmod 9?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

38. Post #38
    dumb ass
    April 2009
    2,582 Posts
    Great! More idiots making more retarded servers!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    April 2010
    68 Posts
    We seriously don't need every 10 year old on gmod to spend their moms money on more darkrp servers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Korea, Republic of Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    We seriously don't need every 10 year old on gmod to spend their moms money on more darkrp servers.
    It's funny cause you're a 10'er.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)