1. Post #561
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,134 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

2. Post #562
    March 2007
    93 Posts
    Or rather is there any way to make electricity out of it besides using detectors?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #563

January 2009
    25 Posts
    Hey everyone - we'd like to announce The Powder Toy 24.5.

New in this version:
    + Some bugfixes
    + When you're looking at your own saves, you can see how many votes they have.
    + Copy/Paste via Stamps -
    Press S and drag a rectangle around the area you want to copy / save to your Stamps.
    Press K to see your Stamps
    Press L to reload the last selected stamp (especially useful if you're trying to paste something a bunch of times).
    Once you've chosen/loaded a stamp, it'll appear under your cursor and you can paste it in by clicking.

Have fun, we hope you like the new release!

p.s. : You should be able to update from version 24.3 and up automatically, without going to the site - just start up the Powder Toy (if you're already in it, exit and open it again) and click the box that appears in the lower right asking you to update.

4. Post #564
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,448 Posts
    Woo automatic updating.

Now I don't have to check back with the thread to see if there's a new version.

5. Post #565
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    143 Posts
    The thread tells you the change log though, so it may be a good idea to check after an update.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

6. Post #566
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,448 Posts
    The thread tells you the change log though, so it may be a good idea to check after an update.
    True.

Why is it every time I put lava in an open space like this:

It overflows like that? Is the pressure carrying it out or something?

7. Post #567
    June 2008
    90 Posts
    True.

Why is it every time I put lava in an open space like this:

It overflows like that? Is the pressure carrying it out or something?
    yar boy
    ye just answered yer own ferking question eh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

8. Post #568
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    1,610 Posts
    Hey everyone - we'd like to announce The Powder Toy 24.5.

New in this version:
    + Some bugfixes
    + When you're looking at your own saves, you can see how many votes they have.
    + Copy/Paste via Stamps -
    Press S and drag a rectangle around the area you want to copy / save to your Stamps.
    Press K to see your Stamps
    Press L to reload the last selected stamp (especially useful if you're trying to paste something a bunch of times).
    Once you've chosen/loaded a stamp, it'll appear under your cursor and you can paste it in by clicking.

Have fun, we hope you like the new release!

p.s. : You should be able to update from version 24.3 and up automatically, without going to the site - just start up the Powder Toy (if you're already in it, exit and open it again) and click the box that appears in the lower right asking you to update.
    Awesome update. I love the copy/paste system.

Also, could you maybe make "+" and "-" change brush size as well, for those of us without scroll wheels? I quite love my tracball.

9. Post #569
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,242 Posts
    Hmm, I get the automatic update box, so I click ok and have it updated, but then the next time I open the game, it says there's an update again even though I just updated. =/

10. Post #570
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    333 Posts
    Auto-Update does not work for me. It downloads the update, than closes and refuses to start up once. Than I start it up again and it wants to update again. The rectangle dragging for stamps cannot be dragged to the left.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

11. Post #571
    June 2008
    545 Posts
    Awesome update. I love the copy/paste system.

Also, could you maybe make "+" and "-" change brush size as well, for those of us without scroll wheels? I quite love my tracball.
    I have a tracball and a scroll wheel :) (my tracball is one that you move with your thumb)

12. Post #572
    February 2008
    7 Posts
    Does anyone know how to modify the annoying particle limit? It's way too low :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events

13. Post #573
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    333 Posts
    Ya, I hope it gets increased or something. Unless there's some restrictions.

14. Post #574
    January 2009
    4 Posts
    Searching still doesn't work for me ;_;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Iceland Show Events

15. Post #575
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    208 Posts
    I'd love to see physical solids.

That way you could simulate awesome stuff like gas operated guns or make little flying things
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Switzerland Show Events

16. Post #576
    $1 Title to make me look important
    October 2005
    1,394 Posts
    Can someone tell me how to make the fan tool work? I create it with the line tool but it doesn't seem to do anything at all :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

17. Post #577
    $1 Title to make me look important
    October 2005
    1,394 Posts
    I agree with JeRK, solids which simulates physics would be quite awesome. I'm just afraid things would be able to fly through them :(

18. Post #578
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,331 Posts
    Well I am guessing part of the code simulation can come directly from the materials as they are, such as metal or wall (which at the right size don't let pressure and particles out), then it's just modeling variable physics.
    I do agree solids would be a fantastic addition to this great game, just stuff like making guns and stuff.
    Also perhaps solids could deform materials such as metal, ice etc (by deform I mean take a chunk out of them, perhaps judging the speed of the object as it's moving and converting that to a deletion limit. So say for instance you have a square solid, shot at high speed into a block of ice, the square solid would impact into the ice, deleting the ice with an automatically generated brush shape as it's moving.)
    Would be cool to be able to simulate stuff like a bullet being shot through wood and the like,
    First things first though, you really need to up the particle limit or allow the user to do it with a button combination like shift+numpad +.

19. Post #579
    March 2007
    55 Posts
    One thing that would be nice is if you could save stuff locally and only share stuff you choose. This would be useful for when you are making something and don't want to share every revision as you build it.

20. Post #580
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    4,759 Posts
    Yeah it pretty much needs to check if the saves are still compatible with the version you're using.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

21. Post #581
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    143 Posts
    Stamps persist through closing, they are all the local saving you will ever get.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

22. Post #582
    March 2007
    55 Posts
    One small thing. Please could we have a button to remove a stamp from the library?

23. Post #583
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    1,610 Posts
    One small thing. Please could we have a button to remove a stamp from the library?
    Just open the stamps folder and delete it?

24. Post #584

January 2009
    25 Posts
    @the few of you who had trouble updating:
    What OS are you on, and are there any special circumstances affecting your installation of powder (did another user install it, did you move it anywhere weird, etc.)? It's probably some kind of local file permissions issue affecting your ability to upgrade - you'll just have to download the new version manually for now.

@people who still don't have working search:
    There must be something broken somewhere in your network - are you behind a packet-inspection/modification firewall, or any kind of proxy? It's _very_ weird that search, of all things, is what isn't working - it's a dead-standard HTTP request, just like what you'd use to get any webpage.

25. Post #585
    March 2007
    55 Posts
    Just open the stamps folder and delete it?
    Yes, but how do you tell which file is which stamp?

26. Post #586
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,020 Posts
    This is nice, but there are afew features I'd really like to see - these could really make it spectacular! Listed from most important / feasible to least important / feasible:

1. Stamp deletion button. It's hard to tell which stamps are which so if you have a few (eg. all the standard logic gates) it will become incredibly hard and tedious to get rid of the correct ones. (Yes I know it saves the last stamp that was open, but that is tedious)
    2. Naming / Tagging stamps or, more importantly, a local save system. We need to be able to organize our stamps.
    3. This one's harder to implement but would be worth it. Have all the material data (simple ini file format) saved locally. Then attach any modified material inis that a user has to the saves they make, or make them publishable so that they can be shared across saves (maybe save them based on material name and a simple hash, like md5). If done correctly, this will change from being a mere toy to something where people can make really interesting materials and simulations, extending the possibilities of the engine greatly!
    4. Temperature. It's not that much of a required feature, but here's the example I always use to test how good a particle simulator is: Make a basin of something that conducts heat, eg. metal. Fill it with water and dissolve salt/sand/etc. into the water. Put a tube leading up from that basin and back down to an empty basin. Then heat the metal. The water should evaporate into steam, then condense into the other basin - thereby leaving salt in the first one.

EDIT: @Tomb332: There is a slow but easy way to tell which stamp is the one to delete. Open powder, press K, then select the stamp you want to delete. Immediately cancel pasting it and close powder. Open stamps.def in the stamps folder - it should contain the name of the file of the stamp you just used. Delete that file, then start powder again and check the stamp library to see that its gone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

27. Post #587
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    403 Posts
    Idea - Custom Elements and Walls
    Once you select the Custom Element/Wall you have a choice: A - Make a Custom Wall, B - Make a Custom Element or C - Load a Custom Element/Wall

When you make a Custom Element/Wall you are given a list of checkboxes that define the properties of your element/wall, Like conducts electricity, hightens pressure, creates electricity, is static etc.
    Then you can name it, save it and use it.

28. Post #588
    January 2009
    923 Posts
    Please make this mod-able.

29. Post #589
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,219 Posts
    Snip and stuff.

30. Post #590
    January 2009
    4 Posts

My first working flamethrower.

:D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Iceland Show Events

31. Post #591
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    315 Posts
    I got it a few days ago, this latest update with the stamp tool is incredible, makes it so much easier to build big chain reactions.

32. Post #592
    BOUGHT A DRAGON DILDO X
    December 2007
    1,069 Posts
    It has very good air-pressure physics.
    I made a vacuum-thingy:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Switzerland Show Events

33. Post #593
    turbo buttes
    June 2007
    14,606 Posts
    The water should evaporate into steam

I would love to see a feature like that implemented.

34. Post #594
    January 2009
    9 Posts
    Is there a way to make the screen bigger besides changing your resolution?

35. Post #595

36. Post #596
    October 2007
    129 Posts
    Awesome game, I wish it had a bigger screen and more element except that, it's very fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

37. Post #597
    I HAVE A ROTARY BECAUSE ITS GODDAMN AWESOME!
    April 2007
    3,146 Posts
    Bump :D Love this game, don't want it to die...

38. Post #598
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    9,621 Posts
    Also I don't know if anyone has noticed but in the newer version, if fire is put under pressure it can sometimes turn to lava (and thereby cause metal to melt

39. Post #599
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,017 Posts
    Also I don't know if anyone has noticed but in the newer version, if fire is put under pressure it can sometimes turn to lava (and thereby cause metal to melt
    How did you get it to happen? I'm not seeing the same effect.

40. Post #600
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    9,621 Posts
    Use a fan to create a lot of pressure against an object and either hold down the fire there or set off a block of C4 behind the fan so the fire gets sucked in