1. Post #1
    sarcastic bastard
    October 2005
    5,036 Posts
    Warning: This thread could be spoilerific, so be careful what you read if you’re not looking to find out about something.

Game Information

[list][*]Platforms: Xbox 360 and Windows PC.[*]Release Dates: November 2007 for Xbox 360 and July 2008 for PC.[/list]
    Content
    [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_effect/]Wikipedia[/url] posted:
    Mass Effect is a sci-fi RPG created by Bioware, the company behind other classics such as Knights of the Old Republic. It was released as an Xbox 360 exclusive in November 2007, and was ported to Windows in July 2008.

You take control of Commander Shepard, a soldier for the Alliance Military. During the character creation process, you are able to decide on the sex, first name and facial features of your character, as well as a class that will dictate what abilities and weapons you can use through out the game. When the game begins, you are aboard the SSV Normandy; a prototype stealth frigate ship, which is on its way to Eden Prime. Once on the planets surface, you discover that the colony is under attack and you must retrieve an important artefact before it falls into the wrong hands. From there, you learn the truth about what information the artefact holds and who was responsible for attack on Eden Prime, thus beginning your journey across the universe.
    It is pretty difficult to summarise Mass Effect into a small paragraph, because everything gets going very quickly early on. But that doesn’t mean it is a short game by any means. On my first play through, I clocked up around 40 hours before I finished, including most of the side quests, following as many conversation lines as possible and visiting all possible planets. Not only that, but the amount of detail the story and characters go into is incredible, it is by far one of the most in-depth games every created.

The visuals are stunning, especially in the Citadel (a mammoth space station). Environments are generally well constructed and offer a good range of different weathers, textures and architectures. All the characters are very detailed and each of the races are particularly unique. Accompanying these is the fantastic voice acting, featuring some famous faces such as Seth Green. The gameplay consists of three sections; combat, exploration, and conversation. Combat works on a third person tactical basis. You use cover to shield you from enemy fire, you can order your squad to move positions, find their own cover or fire back on the enemy, and you have access to a wide range of abilities that can damage the enemy or heal your squad. Exploration can be done on foot, in the armoured vehicle or onboard the Normandy. Through out the game, you can visit many different planets of varying hospitality, and search of data caches, ores, and artefacts or to complete side missions. Also, when aboard the Normandy, you can scan certain planets to find similar items.

Mass Effect is an absolutely fantastic RPG, which any fan of the genre should at least try.

Game Information

[list][*]Platforms: Xbox 360 and Windows PC.[*]Release Dates: January 26th 2010 in North America and January 29th 2010 in Europe.[*]Editions: Regular and Collector's Edition.[*]Characters: You will once again play as Commander Shepard. There are up to 8 new squad members available for recruitment (Thane, Grunt, Subject Zero, Legion, ?, ? ,? ,?). [*]Save Files: Provided you keep your save game files, the decisions you made in the previous instalment will affect the characters, the politics and the universe in Mass Effect 2.[/list]
    Videos
    E3 09 Gameplay Footage

Mirrors:
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lbQ_lGyt7c

Screenshots
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 5Friendly Friendly x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    February 2008
    13 Posts
    I'm very excited for this game, I can't wait. Also very nice thread!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,121 Posts
    That teaser trailer makes me happy and angry at the same time. I was like "Woohoo! There's finally a sequel... What do you mean 'Killed in Action'? FUCK!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,522 Posts
    Meh, nothing wowed me about the first one.
    I guess i'll have to give it a try though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    sarcastic bastard
    October 2005
    5,036 Posts
    That teaser trailer makes me happy and angry at the same time. I was like "Woohoo! There's finally a sequel... What do you mean 'Killed in Action'? FUCK!"
    Yeah, it was pretty clever. While it seemed to show some important information about the game, we're really no closer to knowing what it is going to be about. However, I'm even more incredibly excited to find out what Bioware have up their sleeves.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    192 Posts
    Man I hope they add a bit more character customizing to ME2.
    I don't want to look like a god damn asshole. Let me for Christ sake remove that Neanderthal-expression from his face.
    *I'm afraid I can't let you do that Dave*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    sarcastic bastard
    October 2005
    5,036 Posts
    Man I hope they add a bit more character customizing to ME2.
    I don't want to look like a god damn asshole. Let me for Christ sake remove that Neanderthal-expression from his face.
    *I'm afraid I can't let you do that Dave*
    Haha, my character looked like he was hit with a spade. My guess is that it was probably an engine limitation at the time, but maybe they've got around that now.

8. Post #8
    June 2007
    689 Posts
    Was the first one good? I never played it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    sarcastic bastard
    October 2005
    5,036 Posts
    Was the first one good? I never played it
    The overall quality of the game was undeniable. Whether you'll enjoy it or not is down to you. You may be able to pick it up quite cheap in places, or you could find someone else who has it and borrow it off them.

10. Post #10
    Very Jelly Despicable Douchebag
    January 2007
    11,169 Posts
    The motherfucker is using my armor and my character is KIA? You were useless without me Shepard..you tried going on your own but I told you you needed somebody to control you.

God that joke was horrible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 8Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    3,005 Posts
    Thanks to this thread I am going to get Mass Effect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Estonia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    sarcastic bastard
    October 2005
    5,036 Posts
    Thanks to this thread I am going to get Mass Effect.
    Glad I could help.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,383 Posts
    Like I said in the teaser thread, they just used the KIA subplot (and what made the Alliance think Shephard & crew died, IE Normandy Crashing) as an excuse to strip the player of all their weapons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

14. Post #14
    few words to create space
    January 2009
    7,868 Posts
    I'm just gonna wait for more info before saying anything about how I feel about the teaser. Well, I loved the first game so I'm looking forward to this.

Also, small problem, but I kinda think the new logo seems kinda boring. Not a big deal though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Czech Republic Show Events

15. Post #15
    CRUSHER OF DREAMS AND EATER OF SKITTLES
    August 2007
    5,610 Posts
    I bought Mass Effect and had fun with it, but my computer doesn't do it justice, so I'm waiting until my new one to finish it.

16. Post #16
    sarcastic bastard
    October 2005
    5,036 Posts
    Also, small problem, but I kinda think the new logo seems kinda boring. Not a big deal though.
    I like it. It could be designed to reflect the way the game is going to be; more contrasting and gritty.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    698 Posts
    Like I said in the teaser thread, they just used the KIA subplot (and what made the Alliance think Shephard & crew died, IE Normandy Crashing) as an excuse to strip the player of all their weapons.
    Metroid all over again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,431 Posts
    The last concept art looks like the unknown planet from KOTOR.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,752 Posts
    It's Shepard not Shepherd.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,383 Posts
    Yeah it seems like they just took a 2, made the font on it too small, and pasted it next to the Mass Effect logo.

21. Post #21
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    sarcastic bastard
    October 2005
    5,036 Posts
    I don't see anything wrong with it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    555 Posts
    Oh wow.
    Fix it fast!

I don't have any saves left from Mass Efffect (1)? So I guess I should re-play it and make a good, and then evil save to try out Mass Effect 2 in those two ways, then of course try it without using a save, and see what happens from there, somewhat replayability, fun game.

Still going batshit insane over here realizing im an 06'er and not an 07'er.

24. Post #24
    March 2007
    382 Posts
    OH MAH GAWD T-zzp correctly spelled word. zzp-O SO FUNNY

I ought to install this game again.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,383 Posts
    It's Shepard not Shepherd.
    Ahh thanks I haven't played the game since last Summer, so I'm rusty on some things.

Also who else    killed Wrex   ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    May 2005
    416 Posts
    Mass Effect bored me to death.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6 (list)

27. Post #27
    March 2007
    382 Posts
    I remember trying to play as an evil character, and I just couldn't bring myself to do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,064 Posts
    Wiggles posted:
    Provided you keep your save game files, the decisions you made in the previous instalment will affect the characters, the politics and the world in Mass Effect 2.
    This is the only reason I'm buying this game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    306 Posts
    I heard Mass Effect 2 is going to be multi-platform, but will ME 2 suffer from glitches and bugs as the original?
    I just hope that the PC port won't arrive with Securom or DRM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

30. Post #30
    sarcastic bastard
    October 2005
    5,036 Posts
    I just hope that the PC port won't arrive with Securom or DRM.
    I think EA have learnt their lesson, or at least I hope they have.

31. Post #31
    March 2007
    382 Posts
    Oh, I'm putting down money that the game will have Securom.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,752 Posts
    Ahh thanks I haven't played the game since last Summer, so I'm rusty on some things.

Also who else    killed Wrex   ?
       I used my massive Charm to keep him alive.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    sarcastic bastard
    October 2005
    5,036 Posts
    Oh, I'm putting down money that the game will have Securom.
    It probably will, but I don't mind as long as it uses the key revoke system rather than the 'install 3 times and buy it again' system.

34. Post #34
    January 2009
    7,868 Posts
    The last concept art looks like the unknown planet from KOTOR.
    Yeah, I got the same feel from it. But the the first pic looks pretty.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,475 Posts
    I hope there is more in depth planet exploration, the game was good but I was never compelled to explore many planets because it was so boring doing so, find some rare rock here, a medal over there. More variation in enemies would be nice too, exploring the galaxy and being confronted and ambushed by only Geth (90% of the time atleast) made it a lot less fun to explore planets.

36. Post #36
    M_B
    Also a fellow SHART fangirl
    September 2005
    17,716 Posts
    isn't this one going to be multi-platform?

37. Post #37
    January 2009
    7,868 Posts
    More variation in enemies would be nice too, exploring the galaxy and being confronted and ambushed by only Geth (90% of the time atleast) made it a lot less fun to explore planets.
    Well, you also fought turian, asari, krogan, salarian and human mercenaries... But I get what you mean.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    192 Posts
    isn't this one going to be multi-platform?
    Yup. PC, Xbox 360, PS3 as far as I'm concerned.

But since EA is the publisher (right?), my guess is that it'll hit DS, PSP and Wii aswell, because that's just how EA roll.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,382 Posts
    Best RPG ever.

40. Post #40
    sarcastic bastard
    October 2005
    5,036 Posts
    Yup. PC, Xbox 360, PS3 as far as I'm concerned.
    I haven't heard anything about PS3?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)