1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    2,177 Posts
    Plain square room with the floor textured as the combine tile floor. The catch is that random tiles will instantly rocket up into the ceiling if you step in the middle of them, crushing you instantly.

Also, the tile in front of the exit rockets up, but it has a doorway when it's extended, meaning you have to sacrifice (or murder) someone to get out of the room.

This map will be even more fun if the gore mods work on player ragdolls.

Also you need to make it so that players that die are out until mapchange.

2. Post #42
    October 2007
    49 Posts
    "How about flying fireballs?"
    Repeatable or just once?
    Now, what about flaming manhacks and rollermines?

Kuro Posted:
    "Also, the tile in front of the exit rockets up, but it has a doorway when it's extended, meaning you have to sacrifice (or murder) someone to get out of the room."

To kuro; I like that idea

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    8,239 Posts
    Why not just use the old "crushing walls with spikes" method?

4. Post #44
    October 2007
    49 Posts
    Why not just use the old "crushing walls with spikes" method?
    Believe me, that idea is in there. Why skip the good ones, right?

5. Post #45
    October 2008
    65 Posts
    Try it out, there is a crush room, kinda...
    The good parts are yet to come.
    http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=64001
    You have a massive leak...

6. Post #46
    October 2007
    49 Posts
    You have a massive leak...
    Thanks, the one at the end of the grey hallway right? I fixed all the ones I could find.

7. Post #47
    October 2008
    65 Posts
    Thanks, the one at the end of the grey hallway right? I fixed all the ones I could find.
    I guess, I was talking about the ceiling in the red water room...

8. Post #48
    February 2009
    157 Posts
    Repeatable or just once?
    Now, what about flaming manhacks and rollermines?
    Repeatable.
    Flaming Manhacks and Rollermines?
    Oh yeah.

9. Post #49

November 2008
    72 Posts
    I wanna be the guy. Download, study.

Basically, it's:

*walks along* *moon falls on head*

Or

*walks along* *jumps over pit* *ROCKET FLIES UP OUT OF PIT AND KILLS YOU*

Or the most annoying

*walks through spiky corridor* *SPIKE FLIES OUT OF ROOF AND IMPALES* D:

Play the game though, it's good.

EDIT
    I REMEMBERED THE BEST ONE. You're walking along, and since the game crashes a lot, they play a trick, and an error message pops up, you could replicate the gmod 'lost connection' error. But the error falls on them and crushes them, but you could make it you click ok, and you have 2 seconds to move before being crushed. :3

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,150 Posts
    Random unexplained deaths can lead to frustration and rage quitting.
    Disconnect mines.

I so love them.

11. Post #51
    October 2007
    49 Posts
    I guess, I was talking about the ceiling in the red water room...
    I used skybox texture there...

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,861 Posts

okay, so it would essentially be a doorway, then another doorway close by, and againt spinning bit on a comun in the middle... the middle of a pit. There would be a platform that slowly rotates in the oposite direction you would go to get around fastest (turns away from the door you want to get to to prolong the deadly chances). There would be another platform that roatates around connected to the pillar by a rod or whatever that is essentially a big block. The big block platform would have a doorway in it that people would have to go through so as not to get pushed off of the platform you have . The big block bit would move around faster than the transport platform. Oh, and don't forget, the big block platform would have a laser that moves up and down in the doorway... you know, for that extra sense of urgency. The transport platform may need a short wall on the back to prevent you from sliding off the back like moving brushes in source like to do....

Picture key:

-light blue= doorways. The left one is the exit. Top is entrance.

-green=central column.

-pink=transport platform (slow mover that you ride on)

-blue=death block that speeds around.

-yellow=side and top close up view of death block

-orange=side and close up top view of transport platform

-red=Lasers of course! but remember, only make one that moves up and down slowly, not two random diagonal ones like in te picture.

That's my input!

13. Post #53
    October 2008
    65 Posts
    I used skybox texture there...
    May I take a look at the VMF to see where the leak might be...

14. Post #54
    October 2007
    49 Posts
    May I take a look at the VMF to see where the leak might be...
    Sure

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    A blank hallway.

You see nothing.

You walk across.

You hear metallic noises behind you.

A spike suddenly jumps from the wall on your right and impales you.

16. Post #56
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,861 Posts
    A blank hallway.

You see nothing.

You walk across.

You hear metallic noises behind you.

A spike suddenly jumps from the wall on your right and impales you.
    what? Why from the wall? and all these people talk about direction with sound... I can't ever tell where some sound is coming from in my maps... I just hear it.

And even better, you see a log on the cieling held up by chains, a laser on the ground, and the log has a spike on it. While you look at the log a car drives down the hall behind you and SMOOSHES you.

17. Post #57
    February 2009
    200 Posts
    Hmmm the only other idea i have is a drop trap like theres lasers wired with explosives (Or whatever) and pull like a fake death on them (They are going to get implaed but the spike suddenly goes back and then smack a log kills them)

18. Post #58
    October 2007
    49 Posts
    Gm random death is scrapped, and VMF will be up for download later for anyone.
    Im going to go for a more "vertical version", and this horizontal progressive crap isnt working.

gm_unseen_death now in the making

http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=64361

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,748 Posts
    Have a lot of easter eggs and such so people won't rage quit as much. :D

20. Post #60
    February 2009
    157 Posts
    Oh, that's sad.
    You'll still do my flying fireball idea, though, will you?

21. Post #61
    October 2008
    65 Posts
    you don't need to nodraw the back of a skybox, it won't render correctly...

22. Post #62
    March 2009
    35 Posts
    Also, Something like a hallway with lasers that you duck or jump under/over.
    dosent the lazer room remind you of a movie very familiar?

23. Post #63
    BmB
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,569 Posts
    Like the most awesome level from serious sam:

There's a room, you have to pass the room. The room is huge. And completely dark. Except for a small patch of light that trails a path back and forth between entrance and exit.
    Nothing will happen to you as long as you stay in the light.

Should you sidestep though? God help your soul.

24. Post #64

September 2008
    4 Posts
    There should be a room that you go into and press a button, then the doors shut and the floor either burns you or becomes electrified. just a thought.

25. Post #65
    April 2009
    3 Posts
    Sweet, but I say make it into a super sized DR map. (Deathrun)

26. Post #66
    April 2009
    1 Posts
    Like the most awesome level from serious sam:

There's a room, you have to pass the room. The room is huge. And completely dark. Except for a small patch of light that trails a path back and forth between entrance and exit.
    Nothing will happen to you as long as you stay in the light.

Should you sidestep though? God help your soul.

Make it like something from Little Big Adventure 2 when you go through the dome with the floors that are invisible; you have to walk carefully up to the edges of the block you're standing on to light up the next block you can step on, and so on. But! Instead of walking slowly, you have crushing walls/huge terrifying monster/Rip Taylor chasing you, so you have to panickily make giant leaps of faith and sprint like a lunatic on speed.

Also, what about a Robotnik-esque giant fist that tries to swat you as you stagger through a huge wide open area with few hiding spots, then as you get further the squashing machine develops more super powers, like laser eyes and an earthquake machine; the earthquakes would have you bouncing around and soiling yourself as you hoped like hell you weren't squished.

Another one! In keeping with the 'seven layers' idea, what about having some 'themed' levels? One's icy, one's full of storms and noise, one's full of infamous historical figures who did things like shoot people. In the face. You could have the very last level with a choice of where to go, with only one room being right and the others being in the way of inventive and painful deaths, like having hundreds of Jigglypuffs gnaw your clothes off as hot sand is sprayed on you. Just a thought.

27. Post #67

October 2008
    3 Posts
    map flipping upside down and everything falls on you.

28. Post #68
    July 2008
    72 Posts
    Double post, I know.
    I finally got some pics, and getting more later. Heres the laser hallway that was suggested.

It's the laser scene from the first resident evil movie

29. Post #69
    April 2007
    189 Posts
    Random unexplained deaths can lead to frustration and rage quitting.
    Genius

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,819 Posts
    The player arrives at a floating platform in the sky. Looking down, you can see the ground is a very very long way down from the platform. To pass the section, you have to jump off the platform and land on a very very small section of the ground that is different from the rest of the ground. If the player hits the spot, they are sent directly to the next section. If not, well, you should be able to guess.

You could add to the challenge by making the spot change positions, forcing you to make frantic adjustments in mid-air to hit it.

There is my imput, I'm looking forward to the final product

31. Post #71
    August 2008
    9 Posts
    body exploding!
    =)

32. Post #72
    August 2008
    9 Posts
    Sweet, but I say make it into a super sized DR map. (Deathrun)
    the map is a huge DR map

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    what? Why from the wall? and all these people talk about direction with sound... I can't ever tell where some sound is coming from in my maps... I just hear it.

And even better, you see a log on the cieling held up by chains, a laser on the ground, and the log has a spike on it. While you look at the log a car drives down the hall behind you and SMOOSHES you.
    1. it's random
    2. it's for shock value
    enable head related transfer, sounds will come from directions

34. Post #74
    January 2009
    27 Posts
    Gman ragdoll with a bizzare smile being shot at you from a long distance, that always makes me crack up.
    me too! xD i love messing with gmans face... specialy when i put his face into the super mind and physics bending pucker LOL his eyes start warping and his bones come through his cheaks xD *.*

35. Post #75

May 2009
    1 Posts
    This map has leaks. You can tell by the unrealistic lighting and psycho crazy skybox.

36. Post #76
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,861 Posts
    A room full of props, for every prop that is moved, a rollermine will spawn
    Nah, lagfest. Instead, make a tile floor, and for every tile of the wrong color that is stepped on, a rollermine spawns. The tiles should be fairly big so you don't step on crazy amounts of them at once.

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,058 Posts
    Do what I like to do: fool the player! For example, put a pit with spikes at the bottom but an invisible layer above so that they can walk on it, and behind the pit make a non-solid brush that you fall into.
    Player jumps over "pit", player dies.

*This won't work on someone who's played on the map before.

38. Post #78
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,577 Posts
    Or read the thread.
    I would like to have a helicopter crash on you if you dont hit the right button.
    three buttons, a random two are picked to be the helicpoter crashers, one opens the door.
    teehee.
    random ones are picked each time.

39. Post #79
    January 2009
    317 Posts
    Do what I like to do: fool the player! For example, put a pit with spikes at the bottom but an invisible layer above so that they can walk on it, and behind the pit make a non-solid brush that you fall into.
    Player jumps over "pit", player dies.

*This won't work on someone who's played on the map before.
    How about instead of tricking the player into killing himself, tricking the player into freaking out???

How about a pit like you said with an invisible floor above it but instead of the rest a moving wall behind you that pushes you onto the invisible platform? Now that would make anyone freak out looking how to get around the wall.

40. Post #80
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    2,177 Posts
    Or, a seemingly normal spike pit that appears to be a simple jump over, but as soon as you're jumping over it, the spiked floor at the bottom rockets up out of the pit and instagibs you.

Also:

-The real exit to the room is beneath the spike platform that shoots up out of the pit, while the easy, obvious exit leads to an inescapable dead end 'trap room' where the 'trap' appears to be obvious (there's a gun on a pedestal in the middle of the room, and nothing else). IF the player is dumb enouhg to fall for it, the 'obvious' trap is triggered by taking the gun, and causes the whole floor of the room to rocket into the ceiling and crush the player, and it will be fairly obvious to most players, so he most likely won't fall for it, and will try to exit the way he came out since it's the only exit from the room. Unfortunately, as soon as he crosses the threshold the door comes down on him and kills him. The room's floor also rises to kill anyone that followed him into the room.