1. Post #1
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    Okay, so I'm very late making this, but it's finally here - The WIP thread for the real Planetfall V2. For those who don't know, this is the original:

http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=370174

You can get more information and pictures of it here:

http://www.planetfallrp.com/PFV1.htm

The new version is being completely remade from scratch with a different layout etc. Although most things will be changed, the underlying ideas are the same. If you go to the V2 section of www.planetfallrp.com then there's plenty of information there, so I won't copy all of it here. However, here's roughly how far I am at the moment:

Command Section: 30%
    Civilian Section: 85%
    Utility Section: 75%
    Engineering Section: 87%
    External Hull: 65%

Ground Base: 70%
    Landscaping: 93%
    3D Skybox: 5%
    Abandoned Tunnels: 45%
    Other Ground Stuff: 90%

Lua: 5%

Latest Pictures - Version 2 Beta 4-1. Lights, landscaping and most buildings are in place, though not all of them finished. Additional pictures on the PhotoBucket link at the bottom of this post.

Please keep this in mind for these pictures. In other words, yes I do know that a lot of it looks ugly. Oh, and these were taken from a version with no lights compiled, but rest assured there ARE lights in the map.

There are more up to date images here:

http://www.planetfallrp.com/PFv2Gal.htm

So far, there's only two working systems on the ship. The main shield (works pretty much the same as the original) and the power system which I am quite proud of. More details on that later. Please post questions, comments and suggestions!

Latest Download Links:
    SVN (Addon Format): http://planetfall-rp.googlecode.com/svn/trunk
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13Artistic Artistic x 7Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,391 Posts
    I always liked this map. Keep doing what you're doing :D

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    215 Posts
    your texturing always makes my eyes bleed

but the brushwork looks good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,226 Posts
    Thank god there are lights in this ship now!

Also looks great keep it up :D

5. Post #5
    January 2009
    292 Posts
    nom nom im a sandvich likes planetfall
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,226 Posts
    Great to know...so what are the types of ships in this map and are they easy to fly?

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,967 Posts
    So the ship is being completely redone from scratch? Sounds good, the old layout was... complicated to figure out, took me like an hour to learn the layout.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,620 Posts
    I got a 50 inch boner when I saw the pics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,967 Posts
    I got a 50 inch boner when I saw the pics.
    Good to know I wasn't the only one, whew.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    August 2008
    627 Posts
    Looks good. Loved the old one. good luck keep it up

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,577 Posts
    Gotta improve the texturing. Love the brushwork though

12. Post #12
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    Well I certainly hope that I can improve the texturing on the outside of the ship, but it's not particularly easy with something that big.

I haven't actually made any of the pilotable ships yet, but I will let you know/post pictures of them once they're in. Nice to know my brushwork isn't hated anymore though ^^

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,648 Posts
    Please tell me you will be able to regenerate the big ship.

I want to break it, fix it, den break it again.

14. Post #14
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    There will be NO parts of the main ship that you can break off. However, there will be internal systems etc. that you can damage/saboutage.

15. Post #15
    January 2009
    292 Posts
    can we have a workshop like from cerebus i loved that

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,307 Posts
    What I want to know, inside the garage inside the base, there are a couple of blocks with numbers on them, what are those for?

17. Post #17
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    There may be a workshop like in Cerberus. It depends how much I can optimize it. The blocks with numbers on are like remote controls. You weld them onto your car/vehicle, and when you go near the garage the door will open. The ones there at the moment are very simple test ones. At some point I will make the garages a little nicer.

18. Post #18
    January 2009
    292 Posts
    There may be a workshop like in Cerberus. It depends how much I can optimize it. The blocks with numbers on are like remote controls. You weld them onto your car/vehicle, and when you go near the garage the door will open. The ones there at the moment are very simple test ones. At some point I will make the garages a little nicer.
    epic

19. Post #19
    September 2005
    151 Posts
    I think i can see a WW1 tank in the first picture D:

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,226 Posts
    I think its his hovertank test.

21. Post #21
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    Yeah, it is. So far, it hovers, moves around and as soon as it hits a hill or a wall, it just floats up for absolutely ages... I may have to abandon the whole idea of tanks. I still have a couple of things to try though.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,734 Posts
    ackkk, those textures!

23. Post #23
    January 2009
    1,528 Posts
    Oh my. Oh my. Awesome.

24. Post #24
    May 2008
    746 Posts
    and env_sun, light_environment, and env_cubemap, are ALWAYS the first thing I add to this map, also a 3D skybox would look really good for this map as well.
    The brushwork is really great with this map though, and good texture placement as well! And I do understand this is W.I.P., this looks like something to look foreward to ^_^

25. Post #25
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    Yeah, I'm going to be adding all the sun lighting and stuff, I HAD already made a 3D skybox, but then I realised I would be changing the landscape so I would have to redo it anyways. I'm glad someone noticed how long I spent lining up some of those textures though :)

26. Post #26
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    September 2005
    4,952 Posts
    Whilst I can see you have put effort in, I'm hesitant to say it looks good. Because frankly, it looks horrible.

Which is a shame, you either need a texture that doesn't repeat so obviously, or vary your textures on the exterior a hell of a lot more.

27. Post #27
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    Whilst I can see you have put effort in, I'm hesitant to say it looks good. Because frankly, it looks horrible.

Which is a shame, you either need a texture that doesn't repeat so obviously, or vary your textures on the exterior a hell of a lot more.
    I completely agree - the outside is hideous ^^

Thing is though, I didn't want to spend ages getting the outside all nicely textured when I was still building it, and even now I'm PROBABLY going to remake that front section because it's not looking right. The only places I can confidently say are not going to change much are engineering and the brig... maybe the living quarters. Everywhere else is WIP and needs fancying up, including the exterior and the ground.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,813 Posts
    Do you still remember my old idea? ;)

29. Post #29
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    Not specifically no. There have been too many ideas from too many different people for me to remember which ones came from who ><

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,461 Posts
    your texturing always makes my eyes bleed

but the brushwork looks good
    Textures, are very sad. They are too repetitive.

Although, brushwork is VERY nice, and the layout looks very nice too! Looks very Combine-ish.

31. Post #31
    December 2007
    1,205 Posts
    First planetfall was great, i play on it from time to time, i look foward to V2!

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,226 Posts
    Not specifically no. There have been too many ideas from too many different people for me to remember which ones came from who ><
    I'm workin on getting you a lua coder :D

33. Post #33
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    I've been meaning to talk to echo about the possible game mode, but I keep forgetting so I guess I may as well write it here and see what everyone else thinks. Basically, we were trying to decide whether there should be an actual gamemode or just scripts to make certain things better (like keycards). If we do have a gamemode, I was thinking that it would mostly be an RP script but with some differences.

For example, the jobs. Instead of 'anyone can get any job' (except for police etc. where you need votes) , I think that at least the military jobs should be in a military style. Basically, everyone starts as a civilian. From there, they can apply to join the military, and to be accepted they need a fairly high-ranking officer to agree. Then they choose their starting career path, and start at the lowest rank. Higher ranked people can promote them, and there could be a console variable to toggle whether they were promoted as soon as one person wanted them to be, or if you needed to have a vote among the officers, giving everyone a chance to say.

These are the career paths I came up with in a couple of minutes while playing L4D:

Civilian Pilot -> Combat Pilot -> Commander -> Captain

Marine -> Lieutenant -> Commander -> Captain

Mechanic -> Engineer -> Chief Engineer

Also, a civilian pilot can become a Lieutenant, and a Lieutenant can become a Security Chief. I wasn't sure if a Security Chief should be able to become a commander/captain or not. Civilian jobs would probably work in the same way as normal RP. Thoughts? Comments?

34. Post #34
    October 2008
    2,398 Posts
    I never played rp in gmod so this may sound stupid. But how about some sort of Medic class, as in someone who can heal other players.

Besides that, sounds good.

35. Post #35
    November 2006
    4 Posts
    I personally think that you should just get the map to a playable state before bothering to improve the textures. I want to try this out.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,226 Posts
    Shadow thats a great idea and all...but what me and echo were talking about was that first you should make it so that classes are built in so people don't have to switch gamemodes to play this map...I'll talk to you later about some more ideas.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,813 Posts
    The crashed fighter?

38. Post #38
    January 2009
    292 Posts
    your critisising a map thats not out yet :P

39. Post #39
    January 2009
    292 Posts
    I never played rp in gmod so this may sound stupid. But how about some sort of Medic class, as in someone who can heal other players.

Besides that, sounds good.
    um that has already been done

40. Post #40
    January 2009
    292 Posts
    I've been meaning to talk to echo about the possible game mode, but I keep forgetting so I guess I may as well write it here and see what everyone else thinks. Basically, we were trying to decide whether there should be an actual gamemode or just scripts to make certain things better (like keycards). If we do have a gamemode, I was thinking that it would mostly be an RP script but with some differences.

For example, the jobs. Instead of 'anyone can get any job' (except for police etc. where you need votes) , I think that at least the military jobs should be in a military style. Basically, everyone starts as a civilian. From there, they can apply to join the military, and to be accepted they need a fairly high-ranking officer to agree. Then they choose their starting career path, and start at the lowest rank. Higher ranked people can promote them, and there could be a console variable to toggle whether they were promoted as soon as one person wanted them to be, or if you needed to have a vote among the officers, giving everyone a chance to say.

These are the career paths I came up with in a couple of minutes while playing L4D:

Civilian Pilot -> Combat Pilot -> Commander -> Captain

Marine -> Lieutenant -> Commander -> Captain

Mechanic -> Engineer -> Chief Engineer

Also, a civilian pilot can become a Lieutenant, and a Lieutenant can become a Security Chief. I wasn't sure if a Security Chief should be able to become a commander/captain or not. Civilian jobs would probably work in the same way as normal RP. Thoughts? Comments?
    so a modified versio0n of rp and with new weapons but i love the keycard idea love it so much