1. Post #121
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    Ok, I know it may seem like the event has fallen to pieces, but it HASN'T! All the maps have now been uploaded, as well as all the addons I could think of that we're likely to use without going over the top, the parasite gamemode for if we want to play that and I am at least fairly certain that all of the maps are pakratted so you won't need extra textures etc. The only thing I may still have to upload is an RP game mode, but I will do that tomorrow.

All Kraven has to do is the last of the setup stuff and turn on the server, but I asked him to wait for now since I don't really want to start the event with a nice long day of me being at college. Unless Garry manages to break it again in the next 48 hours, the server and event will start up on Friday afternoon/early evening.

2. Post #122
    November 2007
    121 Posts
    A week late that is. (i'm not blaming anyone) I'll try and be there.

3. Post #123
    January 2008
    341 Posts
    So, can we have a link to the stuff? Or will that come withing 48 hours too?

4. Post #124
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    The link should be there shortly before the server goes up. Or maybe at the same time. I'm not certain how Kraven wants to do things.

5. Post #125
    January 2008
    341 Posts
    Oh ok.... So are we gonna do every map you listed? Or is it just most of them, or what?

6. Post #126
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    Well we have the server for a whole week - I'd be dissapointed if we didn't get through all of the maps.

7. Post #127
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    Okay, the server is up and MOSTLY working. 'Mostly' meaning that some people can't join. Kraven will be attempting to fix this when he gets back in a few hours. The actual event won't start until 6:30 GMT+1 *grumbles about summer time*. Until then, you are welcome to join the server and have a quick look around the latest beta of v2. The server uses FastDL, which means that when you join, if you don't have the maps or anything it automatically downloads from a URL, giving you your maximum download speed.

If you particularly want to download the maps seperately, you can do so here:

http://fastdl.gmodworld.com/PLANETFALLRP/maps

EDIT:

It appears there is a problem with the server where only one person can join at once. Kraven is currently at work, so he won't be able to fix it for me for a couple of hours. Until then I can only suggest that you download the maps ready for the event.

8. Post #128
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    The server is now working 100% and the event has started!

78.143.252.49:27028

9. Post #129
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,253 Posts
    I tried the ip...but it said it failed after 4 retries :(

10. Post #130
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    Ah, sorry about that. The server had to be reset a couple of times to smooth out some more problems, the IP is the same but the port reset itself:

78.143.252.49:27030

11. Post #131
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    The server is currently not working (we accidently crashed it and the auto-reset hasn't worked), but Kraven should be able to fix it when he gets back.

12. Post #132
    Dennab
    October 2007
    2,399 Posts
    awww I wanted to come back on (btw its me Fatal_Error)

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,253 Posts
    I'm currently trying to make space propaganda to go on the ship I need ideas I have 2 so far but the second one needs work..

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/w...rent=Earth.jpg

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/w...nt=Galaxy1.jpg

14. Post #134
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    377 Posts
    Meh, needs more Parodies, like back on Hometown, with the joke descriptions on the back of the Game Boxes.
    "Planetfall Needs YOU! To Commit Suicide."
    "To use Core Eject, please stick your head out of the window, your body should follow shortly after."

15. Post #135
    January 2008
    341 Posts
    That "Earth, Fight For Her" one is from Halo: Combat Evolved. I know because I've beat that game so many times...

16. Post #136
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,253 Posts
    Yeah...I was hoping someone would catch that one.

17. Post #137
    January 2008
    341 Posts
    ^.^ Glad I could help.

18. Post #138
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,253 Posts
    Meh, needs more Parodies, like back on Hometown, with the joke descriptions on the back of the Game Boxes.
    "Planetfall Needs YOU! To Commit Suicide."
    "To use Core Eject, please stick your head out of the window, your body should follow shortly after."
    I like this idea...my first idea was to take old ww2 posters with the hot girls in them and re-vamp them with new girls and sayings...If you could supply me with some good ideas then I'll put them into posters.

19. Post #139
    January 2008
    341 Posts
    How bout something with Robot Zombies? Hey shadow, the server is entirely down.

20. Post #140
    September 2007
    182 Posts
    By the way guys, the server is back up and everything is normal.
    Everyone can now flock back into it and have moar fun!

21. Post #141
    January 2008
    341 Posts
    Yup, I confirm this from inside the server.

22. Post #142
    September 2008
    25 Posts
    Loved the old one, hope this one is better and i can actually spawn weapons without gmod crashing. lol

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,253 Posts
    Heres a new poster I made following a more comic style...this is a rough copy of it.

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/w...nt=smoking.jpg

24. Post #144
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    377 Posts
    LOL!
    Try this one though. It might get more Giggles.
    "The Current Smoking Zone is located on the Sky-deck, approximatley 2 metres off the Port Bow. Please mind the GaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-"

That's me thought out for now.

25. Post #145
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,308 Posts
    -snip-

26. Post #146
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,308 Posts
    Seriously, that server needs to get rid of newadmin, I get the same message with every other server that has newadmin.

27. Post #147
    January 2008
    341 Posts
    What message?

28. Post #148
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    We would get rid of NewAdmin in an instant because both me and Kraven hate it, but unfortunatly something (probably Garry) broke ULX, so that refuses to work. NewAdmin is the only other useable admin mod there is. Also, what message?

For those who don't already know, I made v2-b3-3 today and uploaded it to the server. It's mostly the same, but I fixed numerous bugs that had been pointed out to me, as well as adding a couple of things such as additional escape pods.

If any of you have tried to reach www.planetfallrp.com, you will have noticed that it's been offline. Kraven is in the process of moving it to a new server, so it should be back up fairly soon but I'm not sure when (the gmod server is still working 100%).

29. Post #149
    January 2008
    341 Posts
    -snip-

30. Post #150
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,253 Posts
    Just tried out the map and its beautiful

31. Post #151
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,868 Posts
    Okay, here's the things that stood out when I tried it this afternoon:
    Navigating: I honestly couldn't remember Planetfall's layout. Can you make a custom texture of a map or something?
    Detail: Every room I saw had no detail. It was also annoying trying to figure out where the button was to open the hangar door. Suggestion: add a console with red lights next to it that opens the hangar's doors.
    And make some spinning lights and a klaxon prior to the doors opening.
    The underground base: The base with the huge gaping hole as its entrance? Yeah, well, the console to close the door wasn't working, and when I used a cheat to unlock the button, it closed, but then immediately opened again.
    Noclip protection? When I tried to noclip out of the underground base mentioned above, it teleported me into one of Planetfall's cells. This was very annoying when I have to noclip all the way back down.
    Glass building protection: On the big tower with the glass ramps doing downstairs, add a door to the landing pad and some protection for the big gaping windows. Shields anyone?
    Detection on planetside: I don't know how significantly this would impact framerates, but what about some trees or something? V2 has rolling hills, which is an improvement, but it's still extremely easy to see someone on the plains from the guard towers.

That's all I can think of right now, but I might add some more criticism.

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,253 Posts
    I can answer a the noclip part he told me during early beta's he was mad at people for noclipping around because they'll find the secrets and such so he noclip protected the towers and tunnels and some other parts. He'll remove them in the final game.

33. Post #153
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,308 Posts
    The message that says that I have a mismatched file. I only get it on servers running newadmin.
    Now for the bugs: The trees in the latest version have missing textures, quite annoying. And there are still some other missing textures around the ship.

34. Post #154
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,945 Posts
    i like the map, it's cool but the textures on the inside of the spaceship are too ugly, they make it look like a map for half life 1

35. Post #155
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    Okay, here's the things that stood out when I tried it this afternoon:
    Navigating: I honestly couldn't remember Planetfall's layout. Can you make a custom texture of a map or something?
    Detail: Every room I saw had no detail. It was also annoying trying to figure out where the button was to open the hangar door. Suggestion: add a console with red lights next to it that opens the hangar's doors.
    And make some spinning lights and a klaxon prior to the doors opening.
    The underground base: The base with the huge gaping hole as its entrance? Yeah, well, the console to close the door wasn't working, and when I used a cheat to unlock the button, it closed, but then immediately opened again.
    Noclip protection? When I tried to noclip out of the underground base mentioned above, it teleported me into one of Planetfall's cells. This was very annoying when I have to noclip all the way back down.
    Glass building protection: On the big tower with the glass ramps doing downstairs, add a door to the landing pad and some protection for the big gaping windows. Shields anyone?
    Detection on planetside: I don't know how significantly this would impact framerates, but what about some trees or something? V2 has rolling hills, which is an improvement, but it's still extremely easy to see someone on the plains from the guard towers.

That's all I can think of right now, but I might add some more criticism.
    There will be textures of the ship, but there's no point making them while I'm still rearranging the layout.

The basics go in first, detail comes later. The basic rule at the moment is that every single room will recieve a lot more work EXCEPT for the main engineering room, but even that will be getting a little.

The door to the tunnels cannot be closed unless the generator is online. At the moment it starts off because the base is meant to be half-collapsing. Also, there's a temporary system in place so that if every player leaves the upper tunnels, the door auto-opens. This is to prevent it becoming 100% sealed off.

I know that anti-noclipping may be annoying to you, but noclipping itself REALLY annoys me, and no, I do not intend to remove it in the final release. All secret areas, blast doors and shields will have anti-noclipping. Basically, when I seal myself in an underground vault with no possible entrance, I want to actually feel safe.

What landing pad on the big tower? If you just mean the roof, that already has a door. I have been planning to add blast doors to the windows, I just haven't got around to it yet.

There are already a few trees on the ground (admittedly very few), but I saw no point in adding trees when I would have to re-position them all every time I changed the landscape.

As for the missing textures, that is Pakrat being silly. If you let me know which textures are missing, I will make a list of ones I will have to add manually.

36. Post #156
    January 2009
    63 Posts
    I thought it was pretty good, but I was kind of surprised by a lack of a bridge/control center.

Other than that, good so far, besides from the annoying as hell no clip protection.

Oh, and also, Apparently I don't have the texture for the trees...it must have been not included?

37. Post #157
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,253 Posts
    Shadow could you try making it so instead of teleporting you to the ship...it just doesn't let you noclip in.

38. Post #158
    January 2008
    341 Posts
    Have it trampoline you away, or teleport you inside a wall, that always hilarious when a minge is coming with a WMD and gets stuck in the wall.

39. Post #159
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    The bridge will be at the front of the ship, I just haven't made that section yet. Well, I have, but only the outer hull for it.

It's impossible to make anto-noclipping things which simply stop people going through walls without using lua. UClip (an addon for ULX) already does this, but it doesn't apply itself to entities such as doors or shields. The ONLY things I can do are kill them or teleport them. I personally find dieing far more annoying than teleporting. Also, how do you get a noclipper stuck in a wall? At most they will think they are noclipping into room A and instead noclip into room B.

40. Post #160
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    377 Posts
    Found a Bug: ballsocketting containers through the world and into the anti-noclip causes an Infinite Loop, amusingly propfucking everybody in Planetfall's cells. Game eventually crashes from Recursive Buffer Overflow.