1. Post #41
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    MackAlda2k6 posted:
    Shadow thats a great idea and all...but what me and echo were talking about was that first you should make it so that classes are built in so people don't have to switch gamemodes to play this map...I'll talk to you later about some more ideas.
    I'm really not sure what you mean, but I will be Steam loads today so hopefully we will actually be able to talk.

Cheshire_Cat posted:
    The crashed fighter?
    That one! Yes I will likely make a crashed fighter, no it will not be repairable, no it will not have weapons you can take and use somewhere else. However, if I can fit in a workshop somewhere then it will have components for that.

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,253 Posts
    I'm really not sure what you mean, but I will be Steam loads today so hopefully we will actually be able to talk.
    Well as of today I'm leaving for a week vacation but I'll try to stay in touch via facepunch.

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,944 Posts
    it looks cool but the textures look like half life 1

4. Post #44
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    it looks cool but the textures look like half life 1
    That's only because the pictures are taken from a long way away, and at the moment they are all just blocks of one texture across whole buildings. Hopefully it will look better once I put a little more work into making them look nice.

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    377 Posts
    I can't goddamn wait :3

6. Post #46
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    I have written all the code for an update to the website, including some news on the map, but the FTP server isn't working at the moment and Kraven (the guy who bought the webspace for me) isn't online, so I will just post a copy here:

I still haven't got that stupid tank working. However, I added a little bit to the
    exterior of the ship and the ground base, started work on the landscaping (lots of hills in some places)
    and made part of an entrance to an network of underground tunnels.

Also, I decided that rather than just making a crashed fighter, it will in fact be a frigate. These are slightly larger craft, usually with a 5-25 man crew. This will be one of the very small 5 man crew ones. Basically the same idea as the fighter, just it will take up a little more room, let people walk around in it a bit etc. Depending on how it ends up, I may well make it so the core in the frigate is leaking radiation, so when you first get there you slowly die, but you are able to fix it, thuse making the wreck into a handy base.

7. Post #47
    January 2009
    292 Posts
    1.YAY

2.oh no

3.Dead

8. Post #48
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    1.YAY

2.oh no

3.Dead
    What?

I've been working more on the tunnels, fixing bugs, adding more lighting to unlit areas and hopefully put in the Core Dump button. I'm just about to text b2-3 with 'The Point of Building' group once they get their server working.

9. Post #49
    February 2009
    177 Posts
    Planetfall V2? I. Want. It.
    Seriously, I liked the older versions, and shall likely like this version too. Just as long as I don't need anything for it (other than itself and gmod, of course).
    Will I need anything else for it?
    If possible, i would gladly beta test it for you.

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,830 Posts
    Make the control room more impressive, like a (reinforced) glass floor looking over the camps on the bottom.
    And terrain. Rolling hills, etc.
    And if the engines were damaged, add a couple of pipes askew, and one of the engines misfiring.

11. Post #51
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    Everything is Pakratted into my maps now, so you won't need anything extra. For information on beta testing, look here:

http://www.planetfallrp.com/PFV2.htm

The control room certainly will look nicer. It's at the top of the front section though, so it will have glass windows but facing up/forwards rather than down (remember it was designed as a space ship, not an air base). Terrain is already going in. I've done about 30-40% of it already. I will update the first post with some slightly nicer looking numbers...

12. Post #52
    January 2009
    292 Posts
    1 I have written all the code for an update to the website, including some news on the map, but the FTP server isn't working at the moment and Kraven (the guy who bought the webspace for me) isn't online, so I will just post a copy here:

2 I still haven't got that stupid tank working. However, I added a little bit to the
    exterior of the ship and the ground base, started work on the landscaping (lots of hills in some places)
    and made part of an entrance to an network of underground tunnels.

3 Also, I decided that rather than just making a crashed fighter, it will in fact be a frigate. These are slightly larger craft, usually with a 5-25 man crew. This will be one of the very small 5 man crew ones. Basically the same idea as the fighter, just it will take up a little more room, let people walk around in it a bit etc. Depending on how it ends up, I may well make it so the core in the frigate is leaking radiation, so when you first get there you slowly die, but you are able to fix it, thuse making the wreck into a handy base.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #53
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    I thought it might be that, but I couldn't see how you got 'oh no' from me adding landscaping and a tunnel network.

Anyway, we eventually got to do the TPOB group beta (we try to have one once every month or so to test it with more than 2 or 3 people), and we found several bugs, they suggested several improvements... I did some stuff, but I plan to get a LOT more done tomorrow.

14. Post #54
    October 2008
    177 Posts
    Wow it looks amazing.

15. Post #55
    AN ACTUAL NORTH KOREA SYMPATHIZER
    Dennab
    March 2009
    370 Posts
    Also, I decided that rather than just making a crashed fighter, it will in fact be a frigate. These are slightly larger craft, usually with a 5-25 man crew. This will be one of the very small 5 man crew ones. Basically the same idea as the fighter, just it will take up a little more room, let people walk around in it a bit etc. Depending on how it ends up, I may well make it so the core in the frigate is leaking radiation, so when you first get there you slowly die, but you are able to fix it, thuse making the wreck into a handy base.
    good to see that you when with my idea......the uss RAYHALO make a nice base

16. Post #56
    January 2008
    341 Posts
    Shadow! You actually made a thread finally! Took you long enough! Love the versions so far, and like the pics you have for this version.

17. Post #57
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    Most of the landscaping is finished now (at least to a basic level), the last of the unlit places have been lit, I added anti-noclipping to one of the main secrets on the ship, as well as the tower. Parts of the underground base are now there, the power system is a little more reliable and there's now a couple of hatches between the interior/exterior of the ship.

At first I wasn't sure if I should put the hatches on because they wouldn't have such things on a space ship except for if/when they land or for maintence. But then I decided that without them, it just wasn't Planetfall. I will try to remember to take some new pictures when we beta test in a couple of hours and post them here.

18. Post #58
    November 2005
    11 Posts
    I do have one question about the ability to disable/damage some of the interior systems. If we can damage them, can we repair them? You know, give engineering something to do.

19. Post #59
    January 2009
    292 Posts
    i will beta test i need your steam account name plese

20. Post #60
    January 2008
    341 Posts
    His steam name is the same as his steam name. He will give it to you(I know it, as hes my friend on steam, so i have added him.).

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,253 Posts
    I've got a few ship ideas for you

1. Fighter-Should have 2 chainguns mounted on the wings no bombs.

2. Troop transport- Big ship that carries 2 heavy apcs to deploy troops.

3. Heavy Transport- Big ship that carries 1-2 tanks or artillery or something.

4. Command shuttle- Carries the important guys around and looks awesome with stealth capability?

Now we don't need bombers or random drop pods for soldiers because if the town rebels you should have to deploy your fighting force through ships.

22. Post #62
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    My steam name is PeterAyrian, beta tests are usually around 6-8 pm GMT. I completely forgot to get those new pictures... damn. We were having and awesome time though, found loads of bugs, got loads of ideas, then I worked a load more on it once we finished. I'm amazed how fast the map comes along when I work on it almost solidly for a day or 2.

Anyway, for the ships, the main problem is the same problem with the tank:

I can't get weapons to work on them. The closest I have ever got to a working weapon embedded in a map is a rocket launcher turret, but although that could be deployed anywhere, once it was deployed it couldn't be moved and if the rockets hit the wall before they detonated then they just broke and didnt explode. Oh, and of course lasers work fine.

Stealth ships... *shudders*. I think I know a way it could work. Wait... Maybe not. Stealth ships are horrible things to make because you can't make pods go invisible, so they have to be fake pods, and that causes all sorts of other problems. What I could do is make a remote-controlled ship which can turn invisible, and then uncloak and deploy into a teleporter platform. Or maybe just decloak, drop a platform then cloak again and fly off, leaving the platform there.

Oh, and the engineering stuff... Yes, most/all that can be broken will be fixable. However, it wont always work as well. For example, after you eject the core, you will be able to replace it with a different one from one of the ground bases using a core-transport ship, but the second core will give something like half the power of the original.

23. Post #63
    January 2008
    341 Posts
    It should give you problems like power surges, random power failments*, and lightning coming off of it if it isn't turned off once in a while.

*= not a real word.

24. Post #64
    October 2007
    164 Posts
    Oh, and the engineering stuff... Yes, most/all that can be broken will be fixable. However, it wont always work as well. For example, after you eject the core, you will be able to replace it with a different one from one of the ground bases using a core-transport ship, but the second core will give something like half the power of the original.
    Now that is great to hear :) I really love the original, but wasn't a fan of having to reload the map after someone ejected the core to do most of the stuff the ship. However, this time around, would it be possible to completely shut down the ship in the event of the core going offline or whatever? Meaning, Lights go dark, alarms etc are disabled, certain doors/mechanisms are locked in their positions.

Understandably, that's a bit of work, but just adds to the feeling of the map. Another idea would be emergency reserve power, switching to a lower level light system and maintaining basic system, maybe with some sort of limited charge capacity through the core or external sources(like batteries for example).

Regardless, just random ideas I'm tossing out. Heres hoping the beta testing goes well, and the mapping goes smoothly.

25. Post #65
    January 2008
    341 Posts
    And have the "emergency power" thing have the doors function too. So that if the core went offline because of a heavy attack, then people could evacuate still. It would suck being stuck in a part of the ship without being able to run from impending doom.

26. Post #66
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    Ok, I'm going to run through the way power works at the moment very quickly, because I'm not sure I've actually posted it on this thread before.

The core generates 0.01 units of power per second (if it helps, imagine it as 100 units). This power is stored in a battery directly below the core, which holds a maximum of 1 unit (10000 units). Each system then drains power from the battery. The shield will drain 0.5 (5000) units as soon as it's turned on, then 0.01 (100) units each second - the same as the core generates. When the core ejection button is pressed, it takes one minute for the power system to 'disconnect', and the core stops generating power after this time and the ejection doors open. Once the doors are fully open, the core is ejected. During and after this time, the ship has to rely on the power stored in the battery. This means that you can either run the ship for quite a long time (at the moment the rest of the ship only takes 0.0005 (5) units per second), or run the shield for about 5-10 seconds or something. I haven't done the actual math, and I am still tweaking all the values, but that's the basic way it works at the moment.

27. Post #67
    July 2005
    76 Posts
    Stealth ships... *shudders*. I think I know a way it could work. Wait... Maybe not. Stealth ships are horrible things to make because you can't make pods go invisible, so they have to be fake pods, and that causes all sorts of other problems. What I could do is make a remote-controlled ship which can turn invisible, and then uncloak and deploy into a teleporter platform. Or maybe just decloak, drop a platform then cloak again and fly off, leaving the platform there..
    Couldn't the player just use the color tool ingame to make the pod invisible?

28. Post #68
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    Couldn't the player just use the color tool ingame to make the pod invisible?
    In theory yes, but do you really want to be making the pod invisible every time you play?

I've been working on making the power system even better, and what I have so far is that every second the battery is holding less than 0.01 (100) units of power, it adds one to a 'youre in trouble' counter'. Each one added to that counter (up to 16) will shut down more and more systems until eventually the core itself fails and shuts down. Each second the power is above that level, it subtracts one from the coutner, but the systems won't turn themselves back on - the engineers have to do that.

Anyway, while I was working on this, I gave all the lights on the ship a name (so they can be turned off) and I was wandering which you guys think would take more power, a single lift or the lights of a space ship. To give you a better idea, there are about 350 lights, so I'm leaning towards them. However, they must have very efficient lightbulbs in the distant future, and the lift IS pretty fast... I'm not looking for specific numbers really, but at the moment I've got the lift taking 0.0001 (1) unit per second, and the lights taking double that.

29. Post #69
    January 2009
    292 Posts
    ok ive asked for steam friend

and will you be able to turn on and off the lights?

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,830 Posts
    Oh yeah, add elevator music to the tower elevator.

31. Post #71
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    Oh yeah, add elevator music to the tower elevator.
    Will Do!

Unfortunately, the whole switching on/off lights thing broke the source engine, so I've taken it out for now. I will take a look at it tomorrow, because I really want to get them turning off when the power goes off. However, here's a brief list of added stuff which does work:

A third tower. This one has an almost identical structure to the one in the base but with a few additions.
    A new blast door on the entrance to the abandoned base/mines/tunnels (usually called tunnels now).
    Working lift in the tunnels (once power is turned on)
    Rounded two of the sides on the frigate wreck crater
    Added anti-noclipping to the tunnels
    Fixed the core eject (before you had to push it out the last little bit)
    Numerous bug fixes and tweaks

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,253 Posts
    Shadow I'll try to find a guide online for building in map weapons and I'll get back to you...I hope you have a beta on saturday because I'm getting home then and would love to see the map right now.

33. Post #73
    November 2007
    121 Posts
    Love the progress i have seen so far. Great job and keep on going.

34. Post #74
    October 2007
    164 Posts
    Ok, I'm going to run through the way power works at the moment very quickly, because I'm not sure I've actually posted it on this thread before.

The core generates 0.01 units of power per second (if it helps, imagine it as 100 units). This power is stored in a battery directly below the core, which holds a maximum of 1 unit (10000 units). Each system then drains power from the battery. The shield will drain 0.5 (5000) units as soon as it's turned on, then 0.01 (100) units each second - the same as the core generates. When the core ejection button is pressed, it takes one minute for the power system to 'disconnect', and the core stops generating power after this time and the ejection doors open. Once the doors are fully open, the core is ejected. During and after this time, the ship has to rely on the power stored in the battery. This means that you can either run the ship for quite a long time (at the moment the rest of the ship only takes 0.0005 (5) units per second), or run the shield for about 5-10 seconds or something. I haven't done the actual math, and I am still tweaking all the values, but that's the basic way it works at the moment.
    Very Nice, sounds exactly like an actual system give or take. Gives alot more playability then a dead ship with no features like it was before when the core was ejected. Off on another tangent, would separate sections of the ship be "disableable"(not a word, i know) to conserve power? Im thinking that might bit more complex then useful though.

35. Post #75
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    Ok, I wasn't going to post again tonight, but I just HAVE to say all this stuff....

1) I'm going to learn lua, so I will be able to convert most/all of the systems to that
    2) LuaPineapple is going to show me how to get around the named-light error, so I can turn the lights on/off
    3) Tomorrow I will mostly be working on making it look nicer rather than adding more functional stuff.
    4) Me and Kaffo are planning a VERY large scale event for Saturday, but we need to check a couple of things before it's confirmed.

36. Post #76
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,253 Posts
    Hope it's not late Saturday...cuz aparently I have to go see Jersey Boys. :/ wish me luck

37. Post #77
    January 2008
    341 Posts
    @Shadow:

1) You definitely should do that.
    2)Lpine is back on the team?!?!?!?!?!?
    3)read "1)"
    4) If its confirmed can I help??

[offtopic] Wow, 5 posts in one page, thats a record for me(Yeh I know I've done it in other threads, but never more than 5 on one page). Can I make it bigger without random crap posts?? We'll find out next time on Posts by roo!

38. Post #78
    November 2007
    121 Posts
    @Shadow:

1) You definitely should do that.
    2)Lpine is back on the team?!?!?!?!?!?
    3)read "1)"
    4) If its confirmed can I help??

[offtopic] Wow, 5 posts in one page, thats a record for me(Yeh I know I've done it in other threads, but never more than 5 on one page). Can I make it bigger without random crap posts?? We'll find out next time on Posts by roo!
    That last bit made me laugh. When will the next episode be? [jk]
    4) Me and Kaffo are planning a VERY large scale event for Saturday, but we need to check a couple of things before it's confirmed.
    What would that be . Well, i'm interested.

39. Post #79
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    Just a quick one before I get in some mapping before I have to go to college. If the event goes ahead, it will hopefully be all day Saturday, so it would be hard to miss. I'd rather not say any more though until I can talk to Kraven...

40. Post #80
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    Okay, I didn't want to get everyone hopes up until it was confirmed, but Kraven has not only done that, he has also extended it! The original plan was to borrow one of his servers for the whole of saturday, and have it running my maps non stop. Specifically, it would be running beta versions of maps I never released, including the latest beta of PFv2. He has agreed to let us use a 32-man server, but rather than just saturday, we will have it for a whole week, starting Friday evening!

His only condition is that the name includes 'GmodWorld.com', which is the homepage of his project, so it's fair enough. If enough people play, he will also extend the time we have it for, so feel free to invite everyone you know! However, I do ask that if you do play on it, you do at least visit his website, see what he's doing and consider donating, not just for the Companion, but also for the servers and webspace he's allowing Planetfall to use. It's not a requirement or anything, if nothing else, EVERYONE should be interested in something which reduces gmod load times drastically...

So, I will give you more information once we decide on details. The maps which we will be playing will be uploaded, and I will drop off a URL so you can all get them without having to wait for Gmod to download them for you.