1. Post #1
    March 2009
    202 Posts
    Version 1.3 (alpha)
    ----------------------------
    With great power comes great FUN! Imagine being able to zip through the air on a thread like the human spider of Marvel fame... Imagine no more! Introducing SpiderMod for Garry's Mod. Based on the PS2 game, Spiderman 2, this gamemode gives you the power to really enjoy those massive tall maps like "huegcity" or "gm_simplicity". Run, jump, swing and dive your way through parts of the map that normal mingebags can't even hope to reach!

NEW!!! Version 1.3a YouTUBE Demo Video NEW!!!

Version 1.3a Wallcrawling Preview YouTUBE Video

Version 1.2 YouTUBE Video

Version 1.0 YouTUBE Video

Features:
    ---------------
    * Webslinging - not the pull-you-in kind, the real Spidey deal - jump and shoot a web line - start swinging to build up speed! Jump from the peak of your acceleration arc to launch yourself up into the sky... or at unsuspecting foes... but be careful - your range is not unlimited, and that can lead to some panicky moments with Spider-damage...
    * Wallcrawling - press USE on any world surface greater than 45 degrees and you can crawl or run up, down and around it til your heart's content. Set up ultra-sneaky sniper spots... Bolt up a wall and let go just in time to sail over the roof top... Hang upside down from a bridge, waiting for just the right moment to toss a 'nade...
    * Spider-speed - walk and run as fast as spiderman himself!
    * Spider-jump - Press and hold the jump key to charge your jump and release to take to the air. Hold the sprint key while releasing to perform a spider-LONG-jump. Try charging your jump while swinging - timing is essential, but not hard to master - you'll be zipping through the sky before you know it! NEW!! Now you can bound from wall to wall as well!
    * Spider-damage - what kind of world would it be if you could take a dive from the Empire State building and live to talk about it? A BORING one! Damage has been scaled (falling only) to match the PS2 game - watch how far you fall, now...

Downloads:
    =======

Current Version:
    ---------------------------

Version 1.3a (Filefactory Mirror)
    Version 1.3a (FileFront Mirror)

PATCHES (be sure to get these as they become available):
    ------------------
    UPDATED 2009-05-03 (you only need the one patch from 1.3a - just copy over the top)

Previous Versions:
    -----------------------------
    Version 1.2
    Version 1.2 (FileFactory Mirror)
    Version 1.1
    Version 1.0

NEW! What do YOU WANT in Spidermod???
    ===========================

What do these numbers mean? / Take me to the voting page!

Known Issues (I know about them and will attempt to fix them asap):
    =========
    * Wallcrawling player world models may appear to be slightly away from the surface that they are attached to (this is an AABB issue - I am working on it)
    * Shooting at a wallcrawling player doesn't always hit them - again, an AABB issue. Working on it
    * Wallcrawling player world models may not always seem to look at their target directly (hitnormal rotational issue)
    * Starting a wall-crawl in a narrow alley may cause the player to get stuck in a wall (related to first issue)
    * The webslinging hand occasionally sticks (stays out in front) - if you can reproduce this 100% of the time, please tell me what your criteria is
    * Please report any other issues on this forum thread (cheers)

Changelist:
    =======

Version 1.3.2 (alpha with patch)
    --------------------------------
    * Added Jumping from wall crawl
    * Added alternating left/right websling
    * Added motion blur when falling at a damaging speed
    * Fixed Strider Cannon destroys wcam entity

Version 1.3.1 (alpha with patch)
    --------------------------------
    * Fixed C4 spin forever bug (thanks again PwnTra1n)
    * Added strafe controls to wall crawling

Version 1.3 (alpha)
    -------------------
    * Added basic wallcrawling
    * Fixed ERROR shadow appearing beneath webstrand in high sunlight (thanks PwnTra1n)

Version 1.2
    -------------
    * Added Custom View Models with true Spider-mation (left hand only for now)
    * Added PS2-borrowed Sound Effects
    * Changed web line to xbeam (white) to be more web-like
    * Thinned the web line a little
    * Other minor cleanups and enhancements

Version 1.1
    -------------
    * Removed +spiderjump console command and the necessity to bind to it - jumps are now done using the regular jump key

Version 1.0
    -------------
    * Initial Release

To Install:
    ----------------
    Download the compressed archive and extract it to your garrysmod\garrysmod directory (the spidermod folder should reside in the gamemodes directory). When hosting a map, choose "spidermod" gamemode instead of "sandbox" gamemode.

Best Maps to play on:
    -----------------------------------

Happy Slinging,
    ancientevil.

2. Post #2
    August 2006
    3 Posts
    I just played around with it on Hugecity and it's a lot of fun! Very reminiscent of Spider-Man 2, which is a good thing. I'm sure in future versions we will see wall-crawling?

3. Post #3
    March 2009
    202 Posts
    Wall crawling has certainly been discussed for a future version. It was actually discussed for the first version but getting the physics right for the proper web-swinging action took much longer than anticipated. I will keep my eyes here for feedback as to what comes next...

4. Post #4
    April 2008
    251 Posts
    Could we have some screenies ? It looks awesome. Also does it have custom playermodels ,etc ?

5. Post #5
    December 2007
    274 Posts
    Downlading when i come home, stay tuned for feedback

6. Post #6
    July 2007
    105 Posts
    http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=21100

You should add the web thing to there, and he should do the gravity gun anim when you try to pull something from the gravity hands skin/model when he shoots the web :D

Great job BTW.!

7. Post #7
    March 2009
    202 Posts
    Could we have some screenies ? It looks awesome. Also does it have custom playermodels ,etc ?
    No custom skins yet and nothing really to "see" - that's why I haven't made any screenshots. I guess I could figure out a quick vid because it's really more about how it is to play right now rather than how it looks. I'll keep you posted.

8. Post #8
    March 2009
    202 Posts
    http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=21100

You should add the web thing to there, and he should do the gravity gun anim when you try to pull something from the gravity hands skin/model when he shoots the web :D

Great job BTW.!
    Danke! I was considering getting in contact with the author of spiderman hands or perhaps doing my own. On top of that there has to be a world model as well.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    April 2008
    1,500 Posts
    Now all we need is a venom

10. Post #10
    March 2009
    46 Posts
    Screenshots?

11. Post #11
    March 2009
    202 Posts
    Screenshots?
    I will see about taking a movie if I have time tonight (to figure out how to do that, exactly and then somehow find a way to show you just how much fun this is...). Screenshots would be pretty pointless because (as noted earlier) this is more of an effect of physics mod rather than a pretty mod - as yet - custom skins come after best fun(ctionality) is added and done right.

12. Post #12
    March 2009
    202 Posts
    Well, I've managed to throw together a quick demo video and pop it up on Youtube. I will edit my first post to include the video there but because you are reading down here anyway, the video is also here.

Enjoy!
    ancientevil

13. Post #13
    Satanic Member
    September 2005
    1,018 Posts
    You should really make it so you don't have to rebind your jump key.

14. Post #14
    March 2009
    202 Posts
    I agree. This was done due to a limitation with the API/Hooking at the time of coding. If I can find a way to either rebind default keys or to monitor the press, hold AND release of the player's jump keys then I will make the change. I think (without reading that part of the code) that the problem was that it was possible to know if a player "jumped" or attempted to jump but there was no start-jump/stop-jump information available. And due to the nature of the mod, it needs to know when jump is pressed, held and released.

15. Post #15
    March 2009
    202 Posts
    Presto chango - your wish is... whatever. Check out version 1.1.
    AE.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    1,651 Posts
    In next version add the spiderman hands and use the insvable gravity gun and make a insvable w_model because i used it before and the w_model was't insvable also use blue rope.

17. Post #17
    March 2009
    202 Posts
    In next version add the spiderman hands and use the insvable gravity gun and make a insvable w_model because i used it before and the w_model was't insvable also use blue rope.
    Red and white striped fingers crossed, I hope I can do more than that....

18. Post #18
    March 2009
    202 Posts
    Version 1.2 is out!
    * Spiderman viewmodel hands (courtesy of hours and hours of messing around in Blender etc etc) with suit skin (maybe I will change it, maybe I won't - it looks kinda cool) - CHECK!
    * Webslinging sounds "borrowed" from the PS2 - CHECK!
    * Thinner, sexier webline - CHECK!

Go get it now and have a web-blast!
    ancientevil.

19. Post #19
    March 2009
    23 Posts
    got it

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,606 Posts
    spider mod spider mod does whatever spi--
    wait what

21. Post #21
    March 2009
    202 Posts
    spider mod spider mod does whatever spi--
    wait what
    Heh heh heh.

22. Post #22
    March 2009
    202 Posts
    There's a new video up on YouTUBE showing off the custom viewmodel for webslinging. Check it out in the top post or below.

Look OUT!
    AE.

23. Post #23
    July 2008
    186 Posts
    This is ridiculously awesome.

One minor problem: Ever since adding this mod, the console command "mp_falldamage" hasn't worked at all for me, even in regular Sandbox mode. You probably overrode it somewhere or something... Bit of a problem.

Anyways, yeah, orgasmic. :D

24. Post #24
    March 2009
    202 Posts

One minor problem: Ever since adding this mod, the console command "mp_falldamage" hasn't worked at all for me, even in regular Sandbox mode. You probably overrode it somewhere or something... Bit of a problem.

I'm glad you are enjoying it. As for the issue you are having, I will look into that as soon as I have a moment. Here are a few initial thoughts:

* All the code in Spidermod is enclosed in a gamemode and "should" never affect anything outside of said gamemode. I do override an event dealing with player damage, but it should only take effect when using SpiderMod.
    * Garry's Mod has recently had a bunch of updates and it's possible that they may be the cause of the problem you are having. Here's what I will test first (soon) - completely remove the gamemodes/spidermod folder (or just move it to Desktop temporarily) and run a normal sandbox game. You might also want to remove your downloaded dua cache. If you are still having the issue, it's likely to be a GMod issue and I will talk to Garry directly about it. If not, put the SpiderMod folder back in. If you still have the issue when running a normal sandbox then it's still likely to be a GMod issue because gamemode code "should" never affect other game modes.

I will keep you posted on it - let me know if you find out anything more.
    ancientevil.

25. Post #25
    March 2009
    202 Posts
    Apart from SpiderMod, I usually always have a few other projects* going on so I want to know what YOU want in the next version - post here with votes. I have included suggestions with their estimated difficulty. The harder a feature, the longer it will be before I add it in (either because I will do the easier ones first or because it just takes that long to code).

1. Wall Crawling (difficult)
    2. Left/Right hand alternation for view model (easy-ish)
    3. Web Blast [disable your enemies with threads of steel!] (medium)
    4. Web Zip [shoot out a web line and yank hard to be shot in the direction of it's anchor point] (medium)
    5. SWEP World Model (medium-difficult)
    6. Other [your input here!] (who knows...)

Your Friendly Neighborhood SpiderMod,
    ancientevil.

*Keep an eye out for a new (non-SpiderMod) SWEP I have in the works - it's still on paper right now (math, physics, theory etc) but if I get it just right, it's going to kick ass.

26. Post #26
    July 2008
    186 Posts
    Aw, man. All of them. But, if I had to pick...

1! 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1! :D

27. Post #27

March 2008
    14 Posts
    Hey you can ask the guys of the GMod Parkour Team for the code if you can't figure out how to manage that...I guess it's really hard to get it optimized...

28. Post #28
    March 2009
    202 Posts
    Hey you can ask the guys of the GMod Parkour Team for the code if you can't figure out how to manage that...I guess it's really hard to get it optimized...
    Good to know, but which item are you referring to?

* A word on ratings: Difficulty ratings are an offshoot of my professional (read "work life") estimation of how long a project will take based on how much research needs to be done, how much motivation I have to complete a project and how much straight labour is involved.

29. Post #29
    March 2009
    202 Posts

I just reviewed the code in question and here's what happens for falling damage in SpiderMod (gamemode\init.lua):

Code:
    --take damage like Spiderman - don't fall too far
    function GM:EntityTakeDamage( ent, inflictor, attacker, amount, dmginfo )  
       if ( ent:IsPlayer() and dmginfo:IsFallDamage()) then
         dmginfo:SetDamage(GetSpiderScaledFallDamage(ent))
       end
       self.BaseClass:EntityTakeDamage(ent,inflictor,attacker,amount,dmginfo)
    end
    The code is gamemode-specific only (so if all things are working right in GMod, it should only affect spidermod) and it calls the baseclass code once it has scaled the fall damage. How did you say mp_falldamage wasn't working for you?

30. Post #30
    July 2008
    186 Posts
    I still only take 10 damage per fall, even when mp_falldamage is set to 1. I'm thinking that the GMod update broke it, 'cause I haven't added anything else recently. Hmm. Anybody else having this problem?

31. Post #31
    March 2009
    202 Posts
    I still only take 10 damage per fall, even when mp_falldamage is set to 1. I'm thinking that the GMod update broke it, 'cause I haven't added anything else recently. Hmm. Anybody else having this problem?
    Check out this thread - sounds like other people with your issue:
    http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=715446

AE.

32. Post #32
    July 2008
    186 Posts
    Ah! That's much better. Thanks a ton for the help :D

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    555 Posts
    So like, anyone find a server for this? If not, I'd be willing to host one myself.

34. Post #34
    March 2009
    202 Posts
    Holy shit - I made the front page! ;)

http://www.garrysmod.com/?dont_buff_...1146&SpiderMod

Already printed it... Will frame later :D

35. Post #35
    March 2009
    202 Posts
    Ah! That's much better. Thanks a ton for the help :D
    np

36. Post #36
    March 2009
    202 Posts
    So like, anyone find a server for this? If not, I'd be willing to host one myself.
    No hosted server yet except my own personal DS (but this is Australian bandwidth here - my dog could piss wider...). By all means, host away!

AE.

37. Post #37

August 2008
    6 Posts
    Love it!
    Only thing I would say is if its going to be a gamemode make it a proper one - have some people play as villians and try to shoot the guy playing as spiderman while spiderman has to pick them off 1vs10 would be great fun if you could balance it out maybe have banks to rob for the villians ect.

Personally if you could make this into a addon then i'd be much happier i'm not to fussed about jumping and running fast just make the web snatchy thing onto buildings available and i'm fine (though i understand thats going to be hard without the low gravity) maybe a secondary fire which can send NPCs into a animation and have them netted and unable to fire - THAT would be epic!

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,640 Posts
    One thing I'm not quite liking is that you swing incredibly high. Spidey doesn't really swing high, he swings far.

39. Post #39
    March 2009
    208 Posts
    maybe a secondary fire which can send NPCs into a animation and have them netted and unable to fire - THAT would be epic!
    Yeah, the Combine animation that plays when they're on fire, and the web would be attached to a couple different attachment points. That would be great.

40. Post #40
    Formerly Shotgunguy49
    July 2008
    4,444 Posts
    You should use Jammie932's Spiderman playermodels.

Adds to the Spidey theme ;)