1. Post #1
    November 2007
    195 Posts
    Alright!

Here's my upcoming castle map. This map will be focused on a siegelike gameplay. Including ramming gates, ladders and war machinery like Catapults, battering rams... Haven't added any of these yet though. And offcourse you will be able to break the walls!

I will release it in both Night and day versions...

PLEASE COME WITH IDEAS!

Screenshots:

2. Post #2
    February 2009
    87 Posts
    Nice castle man! You should get rid of thie lights on the inside of the windows though, try spotlights pointing in from outside, dust motes or a volumetric model.

3. Post #3
    November 2007
    195 Posts
    ok

4. Post #4
    October 2007
    71 Posts
    HOLY fuck me, one of the best castle maps around i think.

message too short?

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    377 Posts
    NICE.
    Could we get an RP version too with ownable doors? ;)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    Pretty, some of the lights could use a source though.

7. Post #7
    January 2007
    118 Posts
    Awesomesauce. There's a lot of good castle's floating around right now. I'd better get my community fortress up to scratch :D

8. Post #8
    November 2007
    195 Posts
    I will add torches later when i get to more detailed stuff. (for the light sources)
    And i will probably make an rp version for this to...

But i've got an upcoming medieval rp map here:
    http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=700075

9. Post #9
    December 2008
    5 Posts
    I think you should do 2 castles so 2 players can have bases but other than that it looks kwl cant w8 till it comes out!!!!

10. Post #10
    September 2007
    166 Posts
    Looks good for a WIP, you might wanna align your textures a little better.

Looking forward to see more. =)

11. Post #11
    November 2007
    195 Posts
    I think you should do 2 castles so 2 players can have bases but other than that it looks kwl cant w8 till it comes out!!!!
    The team that does not spawn in the castle will have a camp outside...
    This is not a fortwars map, but a medieval sige map.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    1,727 Posts
    I am working on a same kind of map :D But my castle is more like a fort. Ideas? make it breakable! What i did, is make the walls a func_breakable, and when it breaks, a point_template spawns a load of pieces of stone. These will be removed after a couple of seconds. Siege weapons? In the map i'm working on, i've got now: a catapult, battering ram, balista, large canon, small canon. When you press a button, all the parts of the selected weapon will be spawned, and it is up to you to constrain them together to make it functional. I hope you could use some of these idea's.

By the way, your castle is awesome. Really nicely done. Is there a game mode coming along with it?

13. Post #13
    November 2007
    195 Posts
    I am working on a same kind of map :D But my castle is more like a fort. Ideas? make it breakable! What i did, is make the walls a func_breakable, and when it breaks, a point_template spawns a load of pieces of stone. These will be removed after a couple of seconds. Siege weapons? In the map i'm working on, i've got now: a catapult, battering ram, balista, large canon, small canon. When you press a button, all the parts of the selected weapon will be spawned, and it is up to you to constrain them together to make it functional. I hope you could use some of these idea's.

By the way, your castle is awesome. Really nicely done. Is there a game mode coming along with it?
    Thanks for all the ideas!

Well, i'm not going to make a gamemode myself (cause i can't) But let's hope someone does :)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    1,727 Posts
    Thanks for all the ideas!

Well, i'm not going to make a gamemode myself (cause i can't) But let's hope someone does :)
    I've got a friend who can, but he is busy making another RP gamemode for another map i am making with 3 friends. I could ask him, but we need that project finished first :P

Btw, O grabbed an idea from your castle for mine., the looks of the walls on top of the towers and walls. Hope you don't mind :P

15. Post #15
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    September 2005
    4,952 Posts
    Since it's featured in plenty of medieval castles, and not so medieval follies, I don't think he can claim the idea as his own.

16. Post #16
    November 2007
    195 Posts
    I've got a friend who can, but he is busy making another RP gamemode for another map i am making with 3 friends. I could ask him, but we need that project finished first :P

Btw, O grabbed an idea from your castle for mine., the looks of the walls on top of the towers and walls. Hope you don't mind :P
    No problem :) I'm just glad it inspires you and that we'll see more nice maps!

17. Post #17
    May 2005
    291 Posts
    Damn nice work there, swerik. You nailed it with the textures!

18. Post #18
    ♩♪♫♬
    March 2009
    2,453 Posts
    It would be great to have a Seige RP.
    Obviously you have one team seiging the castle, Throwing dead rotting animals over the side to infect the RP'ers inside.

Would be great fun, Looks awesome already.

19. Post #19
    March 2009
    36 Posts
    It would be great to have a Seige RP.
    Obviously you have one team seiging the castle, Throwing dead rotting animals over the side to infect the RP'ers inside.
    Thats a great idea! and a tunnel where you have to dig to get into dungeons in castle or summing!

20. Post #20
    November 2007
    195 Posts
    Thats a great idea! and a tunnel where you have to dig to get into dungeons in castle or summing!
    yeah that sounds nice!

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    1,727 Posts
    Yeah that was what i ways working towards too :) 2 teams, 1 defenders (castle), and 1 team attackers (outpost with a workshop to create your weps to attack). Maybe they need to steal something in the castle to win? like one way capture the flag..

One thing, the tiled roof on top of the gate building looks a little weird..

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,986 Posts
    One thing, the tiled roof on top of the gate building looks a little weird..
    Yeah. It kinda does. It would get in the way of soldiers.

23. Post #23
    November 2007
    195 Posts
    Yeah. It kinda does. It would get in the way of soldiers.
    In other words I should remove it?

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,986 Posts
    Yes.

25. Post #25
    November 2007
    195 Posts
    Alright!

26. Post #26
    Visit my Minecraft Universe at: mrfj.webs.com
    November 2006
    1,531 Posts
    Looking good.

27. Post #27
    November 2007
    195 Posts
    thanks :) i will be releasing a beta of this soon. it's a mattter of days.

28. Post #28
    November 2007
    195 Posts
    i've released a beta of the map:
    http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=790610

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,346 Posts
    Does it include the night version?

Edited:

Also, for a suggestion put a siege camp outside of the walls for the opposing team.

30. Post #30
    November 2007
    195 Posts
    good idea!, and no there's no night version yet. For release that is, it's coming soon.