Why isn't this sticky anymore?

2. Post #122
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,134 Posts
    Please add a rain tut in here, would be very useful
    Ah, good Idea.

Why isn't this sticky anymore?
    I guess the mods decided that it has outlived its welcome.

3. Post #123
    May 2008
    610 Posts
    I guess the mods decided that it has outlived its welcome.
    Lol, the guide is great for newcomers and people who wants to start editing screenshots.

4. Post #124
    I'm a loner who likes to get beat up at school
    June 2009
    11,557 Posts
    Genius.

5. Post #125
    June 2009
    31 Posts
    Holy shitbricks! You are now one of my favourite 'Screen-shotist'.

Love the end product and the attention to detail! Thank you!

6. Post #126
    September 2008
    480 Posts
    You just made me download GIMP for this haha :p. Good job on the tutorial though.
    The car don't make the driver. Photoshop or Paintshop Pro works just as well if you allready have one of those.

7. Post #127
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,336 Posts
    Hey sorry for abit of a bump, but is tehre any other way of making blood to make it look good otherthen using brushwork?

8. Post #128
    January 2007
    878 Posts
    Hey sorry for abit of a bump, but is tehre any other way of making blood to make it look good otherthen using brushwork?
    Don't worry. Something this awesome deserves a bump once in a while.

9. Post #129
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,134 Posts
    ...not really. I think your main problems are:

1. Not placing the center of the zoom blur in the center of the blood.

2. Not ordering your layers properly so stuff that should be in the foreground is in the foreground (remember, if a layer is higher than another, it will be on top of it in the picture)

3. You aren't quite sure what color to make the blood, you seem to not take the ambiance of a scene into mind, and just make it a harsh red. Blood is generally really dark (almost black)

Another method you could potentially try (although it usually works better if you can do both this and the brush at the same time) is to repeat the smoke tut, except color the smoke dark red. That way you get a smokier blood (go figure) rather than globular blood.

10. Post #130
    August 2008
    382 Posts
    Yeah color is always a big issue when I'm trying to edit blood.

11. Post #131
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,336 Posts
    Also do a tut where you can edit damage into cars.

12. Post #132

July 2009
    31 Posts
    Also do a tut where you can edit damage into cars.
    Hi, I am of no relation to The Vman, but if I were him, I would say that a vehicular damage tut is pretty tricky, and I probably wouldn't get off my lazy ass to make it.

However, I bet that The Vman is considering to add onto his tut, specifically: thick smoke, heat rippling, tracers, and (everyone's favorite) explosions!

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,326 Posts
    Hi, I am of no relation to The Vman, but if I were him, I would say that a vehicular damage tut is pretty tricky, and I probably wouldn't get off my lazy ass to make it.

However, I bet that The Vman is considering to add onto his tut, specifically: thick smoke, heat rippling, tracers, and (everyone's favorite) explosions!
    That's so good to know! You're a real mind-reader huh?

14. Post #134
    April 2009
    144 Posts

Word up :)

15. Post #135
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,167 Posts
    Woah, I'll be sure to try some of this.

16. Post #136
    December 2007
    324 Posts
    It's a really nice tutorial, I'm going to try using it, but... looks pretty hard to me.

17. Post #137
    June 2007
    268 Posts
    Vman, you rule........... [Cant think of anything to say but thanks]

18. Post #138
    Fabulous Vailglorous Extraordinaire
    February 2007
    10,708 Posts
    Where do you find such awesome muzzleflashes? Google only shows shitty results.

Edited:

Yes, I know a bumped an old thread. It deserves it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #139
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2009
    7,289 Posts
    A goodly tutorial. Some of this I knew, and some I didn't. The smoke edit section will come in handy. Had a bit of trouble with that. Thanks a lot for the effort VMan. It was well spent. Easy to follow and understand. This will definitely be useful.

20. Post #140
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,326 Posts
    We need to update our tutorials. Haha. God I wish I had the time to sit down and crack on.

21. Post #141
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2009
    7,289 Posts
    We need to update our tutorials. Haha. God I wish I had the time to sit down and crack on.
    Well you and VMan are good at them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #142
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    684 Posts
    I prefer the old green screen method for isolation, less time consuming which is important when making comics.

Original

Green screen(not really)

Final

STEPS:
    - Make your pose
    - Select the static camera(<-------- important or this will not work!)
    - Find a good camera angle/shot/whatever
    - Place the static cam where you want it
    - Take pic
    - Use the materials tool on subject > matte white setting
    - Use color tool on subject > some bright ass color
    - Go back into the same static cam
    - Take 2nd pic(by using the static cam the 2 pics are identical)
    - Open 2nd pic in photoshop
    - Use magic wand tool to select the object(should be easy due to the bright ass color)
    - Right click > save selection
    - Open 1st pic
    - Right click > load selection
    - And there ya go, you've successfully selected the object to be isolated.

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,134 Posts
    I prefer the old green screen method for isolation, less time consuming which is important when making comics.

Original

Green screen(not really)

Final

STEPS:
    - Make your pose
    - Select the static camera(<-------- important or this will not work!)
    - Find a good camera angle/shot/whatever
    - Place the static cam where you want it
    - Take pic
    - Use the materials tool on subject > matte white setting
    - Use color tool on subject > some bright ass color
    - Go back into the same static cam
    - Take 2nd pic(by using the static cam the 2 pics are identical)
    - Open 2nd pic in photoshop
    - Use magic wand tool to select the object(should be easy due to the bright ass color)
    - Right click > save selection
    - Open 1st pic
    - Right click > load selection
    - And there ya go, you've successfully selected the object to be isolated.
    The problem with your method is that the magic wand tool gives you an incredibly ugly isolation. It becomes horribly aliased, and if you are greenscreening a subject (background is green) more often than not will it give you an ugly green outline around them. Hand isolation may be more time consuming but the result is infinitely better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #144
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,303 Posts
    Can you make an explosion tutorial please.
    I don't know how to do it, or if someone else knows can they show me detailed steps on doing it.

25. Post #145
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    684 Posts
    The problem with your method is that the magic wand tool gives you an incredibly ugly isolation. It becomes horribly aliased, and if you are greenscreening a subject (background is green) more often than not will it give you an ugly green outline around them. Hand isolation may be more time consuming but the result is infinitely better.
    no no no you don't select what you want from the green screen pic by copying n' pasting, you use the 'save selection' option and simply load it onto the original. Therefore, no color information from the green screen pic is transfered over.

Also you can eliminate possible jaggies from the selection using 'refine edge' and from my experience it does a pretty damn good job. I respect the fact you prefer isolating by hand but, as a comic maker, you must understand that using your method is just out of the question...for me at least.

26. Post #146
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,134 Posts
    no no no you don't select what you want from the green screen pic by copying n' pasting, you use the 'save selection' option and simply load it onto the original. Therefore, no color information from the green screen pic is transfered over.

Also you can eliminate possible jaggies from the selection using 'refine edge' and from my experience it does a pretty damn good job. I respect the fact you prefer isolating by hand but, as a comic maker, you must understand that using your method is just out of the question...for me at least.
    Indeed. Though this tutorial is meant more for people making single screens (not that it can't be used by comic makers as well) With a single screen you want to make sure the quality is as high as possible, while in a comic that isn't as much a priority.

27. Post #147
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    684 Posts
    Indeed. Though this tutorial is meant more for people making single screens (not that it can't be used by comic makers as well) With a single screen you want to make sure the quality is as high as possible, while in a comic that isn't as much a priority.
    Our goal is to essentially make a panel aesthetically pleasing and then move onto the next one unless you're Jim_Riley, I'm pretty sure that guy spends hours on each panel lol.

but I do appreciate the tut, especially the part about isolating from real pics cause that's def my weak point.

28. Post #148
    January 2010
    230 Posts
    Danke, this is just want i wanted

29. Post #149
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,303 Posts
    So anyone with the explosion please?

30. Post #150
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,213 Posts
    how can i make light beams and reflections ?

31. Post #151

January 2010
    49 Posts
    Like with Isolation, click on the Selection from Path button to select your isolated areas
    Where are you?

32. Post #152
    Fabulous Vailglorous Extraordinaire
    February 2007
    10,708 Posts
    Aw fuck man, you just answered a two week old question and here I come in with 100% hype, thinking he updated it or something.

Fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)