1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,178 Posts
    :siren:Apparently, this does not work in the US. If you're in the US and it stops working, try a proxy for listening.:siren:

So, if you don't know what it is yet, here's a thread explaining it all:
    Copy paste from the Website:
    Spotify posted:
    What is Spotify?

Spotify is a new way to enjoy music. Simply download and install, before you know it you’ll be singing along to the genre, artist or song of your choice. With Spotify you are never far away from the song you want.

There are no restrictions in terms of what you can listen to or when. Forget about the hassle of waiting for files to download and fill up your hard drive before you get round to organising them. Spotify is instant, fun and simple.

Because music is social, Spotify allows you to share songs and playlists with friends, and even work together on collaborative playlists, Friday afternoon in the office might never be the same again! We’re music lovers like everyone else.

We want to connect millions of people with their favorite songs by creating a product that people love to use. We respect creativity and believe in fairly compensating artists for their work. We’ve cleared the rights to use the music you’ll listen to in Spotify.
    www.spotify.com

Spotify is a relatively new music player that intends to bridge the gap between piracy and the Evil Empire that is the music industry.

Spotify has already brokered deals with a few big name companies to play music, and is looking to always expand it's library. To be able to support all the music streamed, it has hybridized it's approach with a combination of P2P sharing as well as direct streaming from it's sever. That way, it can remove the load of streaming top hit songs that most everyone wants, or has, and at the same time stream more fringe songs directly from it's server.

Unfortunately it is Invite only at this time, but with a little hunting, or just subscribing to their email list, and hoping for a password, I'm sure you can get to it. It also has a "Premium" option for those who would rather pay for instant access. I'm not sure if that will become standard or not. (I.e., pay to play subscription fees. I certainly hope not though!)
    By now you'll know what is is, but, you can only use it in the United Kingdom. Now I'm going to show you how you can use it without an invite, from anywhere in the world. (Well, I'm not sure about everywhere, but it works in The Netherlands and that country is normally restricted.

Well, how do you do it? Simple.

Step 1. Find a good UK proxy. Easiest will be web-based, since you'll only have to use it to register. I used this one.

Step 2. Through the proxy, visit https://www.spotify.com/en/get-started/

Step 3. Register. You're going to need a UK postal code, the one I used is LS18 5AZ, but you might find another one on Google.

Step 4. Download the installer. It should give you a link, otherwise use this one.

Step 5. Install it and enjoy your music. No need for any proxies or anything, you're just enjoying free music. One extra pro here is that if you listen to it through an unsupported country there are no ads!

Step 6. Set your country to your actual country in the settings.

So, there you go, enjoy.

Oh, and once you have it, you can try it out with this link.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Show Events

2. Post #2
    January 2009
    853 Posts
    Fucking nice!

Nevermind i got it installed and put all my favorite music in a huge playlist.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Show Events

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,178 Posts
    Fucking nice!

Can't install it gives a htmlblock.
    Don't need to download through the proxy, just register. Download it normally using this link.

4. Post #4
    February 2009
    208 Posts
    if you listen to it through an unsupported country there are no ads!
    Damn!

Would getting behind a US based proxy work for listening?

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,178 Posts
    Damn!

Would getting behind a US based proxy work for listening?
    You could always try... or use Tor and hope you don't get a UK endpoint.

6. Post #6
    May 2008
    409 Posts
    Fucking Incredible.

7. Post #7
    February 2009
    302 Posts
    Sweet.

8. Post #8
    Dennab
    March 2005
    2,099 Posts
    This is a good idea, but the program notices if you're logging onto it with a non UK IP. It gives you a few days then locks you out:

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,178 Posts
    This is a good idea, but the program notices if you're logging onto it with a non UK IP. It gives you a few days then locks you out:

I guess that's only US IPs cause it's worked quite good in The Netherlands for quite some days.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,178 Posts
    So, before this thread dies, anyone else had any luck with this?

11. Post #11
    June 2008
    918 Posts
    You can use it any country cept for the US really, you just need an invite.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,178 Posts
    I never needed an invite.

13. Post #13
    June 2008
    918 Posts
    You don't need one in the UK I think, but tleast you need one in norway.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2006
    1,972 Posts
    Fucking dicks then.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,178 Posts
    You don't need one in the UK I think, but tleast you need one in norway.
    That's what the proxy is for ain't it?
    Fucking dicks then.
    Blame the RIAA, not Spotify.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,830 Posts
    This stuff is working, i created an account from the proxy and logged in right after, thank you ! Yay !

17. Post #17
    December 2005
    61 Posts
    I'm in Finland and I'm using it with no problems, got the installer of my friend and he got me an invitation too.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,703 Posts
    Or you can ask a UK guy for an invite like I did. It was MUFC2007, he was giving invites away literally, so I'm pretty grateful :banjo:

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    433 Posts
    Awesome! It works!

Thx!

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,434 Posts
    Fucking -snip-

21. Post #21
    November 2007
    46 Posts
    This is illegal tho.

22. Post #22

March 2009
    278 Posts
    This is illegal tho.
    Because noone on Facepunch does anything illegal

23. Post #23
    August 2008
    47 Posts
    Why are people saying its UK only?

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,178 Posts
    This is illegal tho.
    Not really. I could also go register in the UK where I'm going tomorrow, and then use it at home as well. I'm not doing anything illegal there.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,178 Posts
    Why are people saying its UK only?
    Because in the UK you get it without invite and in the US it's completely unavailable.

26. Post #26

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    4,939 Posts
    I am installing from the UK, so I might be able to give out invites... not sure yet though!

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    4,208 Posts
    Thanks, this worked perfectly.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,178 Posts
    Yeah, but real often there are no invites available and with this you don't need any.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,024 Posts
    I had an account for quite a while but the program wouldn't work, so I removed it. Because of this thread I decided to install it again and now it works somehow. :raise:

It's a nice program.

Also, it's cool that it can scrobble to Last.fm automatically but I'm rather weary of putting my username and pass on it. Is it safe?

31. Post #31
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    Dennab
    October 2005
    10,917 Posts
    It works everywhere except for USA.
    But in UK you don't need an invite.

Would of been stupid for a swedish developed program to only work in the UK.

Using it all time for music on the school computers, no need to bring an external harddrive.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,681 Posts
    It only works for 14 days. After that it finds out that you are using it outside the allowed countries, after that this happens:

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,024 Posts
    It only works for 14 days. After that it finds out that you are using it outside the allowed countries, after that this happens:

pic
    You're in the US I assume.

34. Post #34
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    Dennab
    October 2005
    10,917 Posts
    Yeah, I guess that's why I've been able to use it for months here in Norway.

You're in the USA, right?
    They can't allow the USA citizen to use it because of the copyright laws.
    Blame the RIAA, not Spotify.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,024 Posts
    God, Spotify really need global keys like Winamp, I keep hitting the Play hotkey.

Quick question, it's only completely restricted in USA (as in not even with invites) or the whole american continent? Because I live in Brazil and I don't want it to suddently block me.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,178 Posts
    God, Spotify really need global keys like Winamp, I keep hitting the Play hotkey.

Quick question, it's only completely restricted in USA (as in not even with invites) or the whole american continent? Because I live in Brazil and I don't want it to suddently block me.
    Probably only US, but there's only one way to find out.

37. Post #37
    March 2009
    19 Posts
    :sweden:

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,024 Posts
    Probably only US, but there's only one way to find out.
    Meh. Then again I have this account for quite a while but just now I'm listening to music on it, I'd think they would have already blocked it by now. I can register for invitations too so I guess it isn't blocked.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,178 Posts
    Just bumped this for vital information. In order to fix the 14 days thing which - yes - I received too, just set your country to your own afterwards. Strangely, it works like a charm.

40. Post #40
    February 2009
    40 Posts
    i love you. This is awesome. You sure it's kosher?