1. Post #41
    January 2009
    760 Posts
    Way to worthless bump.

(User was banned for this post ("Bump to complain about bump" - Terrenteller))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,962 Posts
    I Don't Understand.
    How Can i use Left 4 Dead Mpas In Gmod?
    It would be fantastic if i could use also Left 4 Dead 2 maps in gmod.
    Could someone explain me how to do it?
    Nice bump there.

(User was banned for this post ("Bump to complain about bump" - Terrenteller))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,876 Posts
    I Don't Understand.
    How Can i use Left 4 Dead Mpas In Gmod?
    It would be fantastic if i could use also Left 4 Dead 2 maps in gmod.
    Could someone explain me how to do it?
    |Both games run on the source engine.

Half Life 2 ran on the original source engine (I think - correct me if I'm wrong).

Half Life 2: Episode 2 uses the updated source engine called the Orange Box engine.

Left 4 Dead uses an even more updated version of the source engine.

The updated engine includes different lighting (I think), improved physics and more effects (probably other stuff too).

Because Garry's Mod runs on the Orange Box engine, it is missing a lot of features that are included in the latest Source engine that Left 4 Dead runs off.

Get it?

Edited:

And I think it's better that you bumped an old thread rather than making a new pointless one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    -snip-

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,876 Posts
    Darn it!

I really wanna know what you said!

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    Darn it!

I really wanna know what you said!
    No

Edited:

-snip- (haha j/k)

~ZOMG actually got the whole engine thing right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #47
    July 2009
    247 Posts
    They look terrible without color correction/film grain...
    well of course its not gonna look as good that's like taking a whole 4 course meal and trying to make it into 1 course its still gonna taste good but you gotta remove some unneeded extras to make it work i mean common if your a gmod player you didnt buy the game for its looks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,976 Posts
    well of course its not gonna look as good that's like taking a whole 4 course meal and trying to make it into 1 course its still gonna taste good but you gotta remove some unneeded extras to make it work i mean common if your a gmod player you didnt buy the game for its looks
    What the hell is that supposed to mean? Garry's Mod can't have good looking maps? Yeah, it can. It just only has a few...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    HOLY HELL MINIGUN SNARKS
    September 2007
    3,715 Posts
    You're arguing about something we solved about half a year ago.

And the L4D engine isn't really an updated one, most of It's code is different to accommodate the new effects.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,641 Posts
    |Both games run on the source engine.

Half Life 2 ran on the original source engine (I think - correct me if I'm wrong).

Half Life 2: Episode 2 uses the updated source engine called the Orange Box engine.

Left 4 Dead uses an even more updated version of the source engine.

The updated engine includes different lighting (I think), improved physics and more effects (probably other stuff too).

Because Garry's Mod runs on the Orange Box engine, it is missing a lot of features that are included in the latest Source engine that Left 4 Dead runs off.

Get it?

Edited:

And I think it's better that you bumped an old thread rather than making a new pointless one.
    ok you got everything else right just that hl2 was updated to the OB engine :P

11. Post #51
    Follow me on github!
    January 2009
    2,622 Posts
    Add in EP1 As well because it had HDR and And Prong shaders!

12. Post #52
    Ywa
    June 2007
    211 Posts
    Did anyone port L4D2 maps yet (to GMod)?

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,876 Posts
    Did anyone port L4D2 maps yet (to GMod)?
    If you need the .vmf's to do it, I can't because I only have the demo (I have the full game on Xbox) but I'm gonna go give it a go.

Shouldn't take too long, I've already got all the materials and models.

Edited:

Doesn't work :mad:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #54
    Ywa
    June 2007
    211 Posts
    Yeah. Porting L4D2 maps is harder than L4D.

Here's what I got so far:
    http://www.mr-green.nl/results/hl2%202010-01-07%2000-44-54-80.png

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,876 Posts

Why's it harder?

16. Post #56
    Ywa
    June 2007
    211 Posts
    Why's it harder?
    First of all you need to decompile BSP v21. After that you can't load the decompiled map in the Ep2/OB Hammer. Only without entities.

And that kind of stuff.

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,876 Posts
    First of all you need to decompile BSP v21. After that you can't load the decompiled map in the Ep2/OB Hammer. Only without entities.

And that kind of stuff.
    I thought L4D2 came with the .vmf's...?

18. Post #58
    I love bestiality!
    May 2009
    4,854 Posts

Atleast we have SOMETHING
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    17,472 Posts
    But it would still need the L4D2 SDK to compile properly... in BSP v21 format.

20. Post #60
    Ywa
    June 2007
    211 Posts
    No. Only L4D comes with the normal vmf's.

New screen:
    http://www.mr-green.nl/results/hl2%202010-01-07%2016-39-05-14.pngStill light issues and some missing/not working textures and models. Most seems to work though.

Are people interested in this or not? If so, I'll create a new thread or so for my L4D and L4D2 ports.

21. Post #61
    October 2008
    126 Posts
    i am Ywa
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #62
    August 2009
    1,206 Posts
    looks nice so far try to fix the lighting too

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,876 Posts
    OK, but couldn't you copy everything in the L4D2 hammer and paste it into the orange box hammer...?

Edited:

And couldn't you just port the materials, open it up and delete all the entities that aren't in GMod?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    3,027 Posts
    No. Only L4D comes with the normal vmf's.

New screen:
    http://www.mr-green.nl/results/hl2%202010-01-07%2016-39-05-14.pngStill light issues and some missing/not working textures and models. Most seems to work though.

Are people interested in this or not? If so, I'll create a new thread or so for my L4D and L4D2 ports.
    If you're still working on it, I'd love to see how it's going and help if I can. I know nothing about mapping, though, so sorry if I'm not of much use.

Now that we've got L4D2 models, I'd love to have the maps for some awesome shots. Specifically, I'd like to see Kiddie Land so I can pose Ellis in front of it yelling the name.

Edited:

ok you got everything else right just that hl2 was updated to the OB engine :P
    Only if you bought the Orange Box version. I bought the game for TOB on the PS3 and with the (now unavailable) Source Premier Pack for my PC. There's a notable difference besides the platform. I don't think they ever updated the separate PC version to be up-to-date with Ep 2 considering they haven't even updated the vortigaunt models.

25. Post #65
    July 2009
    838 Posts
    He hasn't worked on this last time I asked.