1. Post #1
    February 2006
    210 Posts
    Twitch Weaponry allows you to fight in a more cinematic fashion. Real people don't weld their rifles to their eye sockets; with a Twitch weapon, you can enter an aim mode that gives you more freedom to move around your weapon.

UPDATE:

New version released.

Q: Where do I activate the new features, for example the slowmo when in aim mode?
    A: Q Menu -> Options tab -> Addons -> Twitch Weaponry. Shown in this picture.

Q: What do I need to do to activate slowmo?
    A: Enable slowmo while aiming, with the menu described and shown above. Then in console activate cheats (type 'sv_cheats 1'). Then you will enter slowmo whenever you right-click to aim your weapon.

Sequel to Twitch Weaponry, a greatly improved now 20-weapon pack. With Twitch Weaponry, holding right-click enters an aim mode, in which you can aim more precisely and move your crosshair a certain distance from the centre of the screen. The weapon's model, as well as realigning to a less passive position when you aim, moves to point at where you are aiming, and transitions between aiming and not aiming are rapid yet smooth. The weapons have recoil, which can be reduced by crouching. Flashlights follow where you aim your weapon, making encounters in the dark more dramatic. The new version adds stability fixes, 12 new weapons (including 5 faithful part-replicas of HL2 weapons), additional customisation options (that can be changed in their own options entry) and a 'slowmo' feature for singleplayer games.

SOME OF THE OLD POST:

The Twitch P90 and Twitch Glock in action:

From left to right: AK47, Deagle, Glock, M249, M3, M4, MP5, P90, USP

(Infinite swarms of Combine provided by NPC Spawn Platforms.)

Download:

Extract to garrysmod/garrysmod/addons.

(Yes, this is an update on the Stationary Aim weapons I released a while ago, and was lost by garrysmod.org somehow. But it's a significant update, and the old name was silly.)

Please leave feedback in this thread. Thank you for your interest.

Additionally, if you wish to use the weapon base or any of the weapons themselves for one of your own projects, you may do so without contacting me, as long as you provide sufficient credit. (The technology is pretty simple, so if it can be any use, I'd rather it be used than pointlessly reinvented.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Lua King Lua King x 4Useful Useful x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,933 Posts
    Dude, that's fucking awesome. Downloading.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Vir
    January 2008
    59 Posts
    Nice job. Got my download.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    744 Posts
    Amazing. Been waiting for a pack like this to come out, great job.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,071 Posts
    Excellent job. There's a few things I have to say about this weapon pack, and suggestions for improvements in later versions.

-Semi-automatic handguns tend to feel much more comfortable and natural to use with this sort of aiming. I'm not sure why, but automatics just feel a bit odd. I think it's because of the lack of view recoil when twitch-firing automatics. I would advise you to set the rest of the handguns from Counter-Strike: Source to this base, they're very fun to use. The stationary aiming seems like a cross between RE4 and Far Cry.

-When I tried something like this, one method I tried in order to improve the "feel" of it was lowering mouse sensitivity when stationary firing. However, "sensitivity" is a protected ConCommand, so this doesn't seem possible. If you can find any way to make twitch-aimed weapons aim "slower", it would probably be beneficial to incoprorate it.

-The weapons' controls are almost flawless. You deserve a medal for how well you scripted the M3's reloading, that's always been a problem in other weapon packs.

-The world firing animations seem really off, but this is probably a garry's mod bug.

-The draw animations for the weapons are rushed, and there is a way to fix this. You can send a "draw" animation to the weapon during the Deploy hook, and then use SetNextPrimaryFire and other functions to "freeze" the weapon until the draw animation has finished. The length of time should be the amount of frames in the animation (you can find this in Model Viewer) divided by the FPS of the animation (you can find this in the v_models' .qc script, or I think somewhere in Model Viewer).

-It might be wise to control whether or not the player can sprint while they're twitch-aiming.

-Some realism advocates would prefer support for taking into account the presence or absence of a chambered round when reloading. This basically entails setting the amount of ammo in the current "clip" to the max capacity plus one, if the player reloads while there are rounds left in the previous "clip".

-I'm not too fond of the twitch-firing crosshair. The normal one is fine, but the twitch-aiming crosshair doesn't seem centered. Just a minor nitpick.

All in all, you've done a fine job on these. I'm definitely keeping them on my server.
    (Hey, you forgot the Glock on your "full weapon lineup" in the OP!)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Lua Helper Lua Helper x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    May 2007
    454 Posts
    Could you collaborate with 1337N008 and make the most awesomely realistic and comfortable Sweps ever?

Edited:

Oh, and awesome sweps man

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,519 Posts
    Now, we need a version that turns on slowmo with all pretty effects when you enter aim mode. THAT would get my download.

8. Post #8
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    9,868 Posts
    I think all the people making these awesome SWEP bases should collaborate and make a super awesome SWEP pack.
    This is extremely nice, by the way. I love this kind of aiming, it's fun to use.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member

November 2007
    2,584 Posts
    This would be awesome if you could hold it over your head and shoot (like over a wall)

10. Post #10
    January 2009
    72 Posts
    Exelent work!

11. Post #11
    February 2006
    210 Posts
    I posted something long in response to everything above, then the whole forum thing went down and now it's gone. Which is frustrating. So I'll talk about what I've included in the next version so far instead.

Now, we need a version that turns on slowmo with all pretty effects when you enter aim mode. THAT would get my download.
    The next version has a server cvar that, in singleplayer and if sv_cheats 1 is on (uses host_timescale), activates slowmo when you enter aim mode. Colour drains from the screen, including of your crosshair, and a mild sharpen effect is applied. Your weapons make lower-pitched firing sounds, and every shot is a tracer (which looks awesome). The degree of slowmo is changeable by cvar, but is default 0.2x speed. It is excellent for feeling a bit like Max Payne.

-Semi-automatic handguns tend to feel much more comfortable and natural to use with this sort of aiming. I'm not sure why, but automatics just feel a bit odd. I think it's because of the lack of view recoil when twitch-firing automatics. I would advise you to set the rest of the handguns from Counter-Strike: Source to this base, they're very fun to use. The stationary aiming seems like a cross between RE4 and Far Cry.
    The remaining semi-automatic pistols (P228 and Fiveseven) are in the next version, as well as some other weapons (MAC-10, TMP, UMP45, M1014). The dual elites weren't ever going to work very well, so I decided against including them.

-When I tried something like this, one method I tried in order to improve the "feel" of it was lowering mouse sensitivity when stationary firing. However, "sensitivity" is a protected ConCommand, so this doesn't seem possible. If you can find any way to make twitch-aimed weapons aim "slower", it would probably be beneficial to incoprorate it.
    I'd already subtly hacked down the mouse sensitivity by measuring players' aim changes and reducing them. I've added a client cvar allowing players to have a finer degree of control over what adjustment is made (default value 1, which translates to 0.5x default).

I posted something long in response to everything above, then the whole forum thing went down and now it's gone. Which is frustrating. So I'll talk about what I've included in the next version so far instead.

The next version has a server cvar that, in singleplayer and if sv_cheats 1 is on (uses host_timescale), activates slowmo when you enter aim mode. Colour drains from the screen, including of your crosshair, and a mild sharpen effect is applied. Your weapons make lower-pitched firing sounds, and every shot is a tracer (which looks awesome). The degree of slowmo is changeable by cvar, but is default 0.2x speed. It is excellent for feeling a bit like Max Payne.

-The draw animations for the weapons are rushed, and there is a way to fix this. You can send a "draw" animation to the weapon during the Deploy hook, and then use SetNextPrimaryFire and other functions to "freeze" the weapon until the draw animation has finished. The length of time should be the amount of frames in the animation (you can find this in Model Viewer) divided by the FPS of the animation (you can find this in the v_models' .qc script, or I think somewhere in Model Viewer).
    In the new version, by default, weapon drawing is at CS:S speed. I'm not going around hunting frame times, so I chose 1 second, which seems to work aptly for most weapons. You can reactivate it being controlled by sv_defaultdeployspeed with a server cvar.

-Some realism advocates would prefer support for taking into account the presence or absence of a chambered round when reloading. This basically entails setting the amount of ammo in the current "clip" to the max capacity plus one, if the player reloads while there are rounds left in the previous "clip".
    Done for next version, cheaply. Newly spawned weapons start with a round already chambered (e.g. newly spawned AK has 31 rounds loaded), and you don't get the +1 round if you reload having emptied the weapon).

-I'm not too fond of the twitch-firing crosshair. The normal one is fine, but the twitch-aiming crosshair doesn't seem centered. Just a minor nitpick.
    Next version uses a smaller version of the non-aim crosshair in aim mode, and smoothly resizes said crosshair to its new size when you enter and leave aim mode.

Additionally, there is a client cvar for hiding the HUD excluding the crosshair, a client cvar for hiding the crosshair, and a server cvar for having infinite ammo whilst in aim mode once you have only one bullet left (so you can romp through a stronghold with a MAC-10 and don't have to have the hassle of reloading). How far the crosshair is allowed to go left and right has been increased, so you have a wider aiming range without having to move the whole camera.

I'm pretty much ready to make a new video then a release, but I'm still open to requests and suggestions.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,519 Posts
    Devenger posted:
    Epic.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    3,116 Posts
    In the new version, by default, weapon drawing is at CS:S speed. I'm not going around hunting frame times, so I chose 1 second, which seems to work aptly for most weapons. You can reactivate it being controlled by sv_defaultdeployspeed with a server cvar.
    Viewable directly in the model viewer below the animation selections.

There's also Entity.GetSequenceDuration( ) or some similar function, but I've never tried using it so I dunno.

I fell that playing the draw animation adds feeling to the weapon, just be careful because a lot of weapons have a huge gap of nothing in the animation :/.

Excellent pack.

14. Post #14
    🚑 Sarcasm Wambulance 🚑
    January 2009
    14,929 Posts
    Submited on GMod.com, wait for Anti-reject :D

Edited:

Here you go:
    http://garrysmod.com/?dont_buff_my_p...itch_Weaponary

15. Post #15
    February 2006
    210 Posts
    Thanks a lot, although it's a pity your enthusiasm did no favours for your spelling. :D

If any garrysmod.com moderators could fix up the spelling errors on that post (particularly the title, if possible) that would be very welcome... or simply copy the description from the garrysmod.org download, which is a little clearer on the features IMO...

New version is incoming tomorrow probably, just adding stupid cvars like 'twitch_aim_bullettime_onjump' now. (But trust me, auto-bullettime when you are airborne is really cool!)

16. Post #16
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    9,868 Posts
    Can we get silencers for the weapons that support them, too?

17. Post #17
    September 2008
    481 Posts
    I want HL2 and TF2 version of these.
    ...I don't own CS:S. :(

18. Post #18
    Dennab
    June 2008
    1,096 Posts
    Do you mind if I use this idea to develop weapons of my own in my gamemode?

19. Post #19
    February 2006
    210 Posts
    I want HL2 and TF2 version of these.
    ...I don't own CS:S. :(
    I'll release a pack with some of the simple HL2 weapons alongside the next version, I've made a couple (Pistol and SMG) with a slightly tweaked base and they work fine. I'll work on making one base weapon fit all, so that players can run either or both packs.

Do you mind if I use this idea to develop weapons of my own in my gamemode?
    As I said in the first post, any weapon base content (the code) I would appreciate credit for. The idea itself is generic enough that you don't need to credit anyone for the idea alone. If you want any help on the technical side (making your own base with a similar aim setup or whatever) post here or PM me and I'll be happy to help - more good gamemodes for Garry's Mod is something I'd love to see happen and be involved in.

Coincidentally, I'm working on a gamemode myself using this weapon tech, slowly. No promises though (my record for finishing big projects is poor at best).

20. Post #20
    July 2008
    178 Posts
    This addon reminds me of Wii control aiming, and also reminds me light gun arcade games such as Time Crisis. This got my download easily.

21. Post #21
    Respected User
    September 2006
    1,580 Posts
    It looks nice but you could have them looking down the actual sights while twitching (except for the M4, FAMAS, P90 and Sig 552 where they are obstructed, messed up or nonexistent).

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,000 Posts
    I was doubtful at first, but this pack is bloody brilliant!
    Few things on my side that've been on my mind about it though:
    1. the pump-shotty is 'lolwut?' (reloads uber fast and drags behind the cursor in aim mode, not a very good weapon to put in there)
    2. USP is simply amazing
    3. haven't tested out the flashlight thing yet, but it looks awesome
    4. needs 'weapon modes' to change styles of firing
    5. referring to number 4, this should beable to overlap the CS:S Realistic SWEPs, just so we can have it for all weapons and beable to use the firing modes.

23. Post #23
    April 2008
    53 Posts
    Heh... I thought this would be a gun that accidently fires when someone startles you...

But this is extremely cool.

24. Post #24
    June 2009
    3 Posts
    Love it. First thing I downloaded as a new Garrysmod user.

Not a fan of the cross hairs though.

P.s. Sorry! Accidentally hit the bad spelling button. XD

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    798 Posts
    nice idea Devenger.

danh, you can change your rating. just muse over to the icons and click something else, it will remove the dumb rating you made, and replace it with whatever else you clicked

26. Post #26
    June 2008
    918 Posts
    sweet, man

27. Post #27
    March 2009
    162 Posts
    Making a video for this, going to get my clan together for a building raid beforehand and film that since I've got 3/4 of it done, needs a nice ending.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,097 Posts
    Did this use those Stat. Aim weapons as a base? Or did you start fresh?

I say you did a good job getting some more realistic and better weapons with this aim mode.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    3,419 Posts
    Hell yeah, the Stationary Weapons are back!

30. Post #30
    August 2008
    28 Posts
    I've been waiting for something like this for a long time. Good job :D

31. Post #31
    🚑 Sarcasm Wambulance 🚑
    January 2009
    14,929 Posts
    Thanks a lot, although it's a pity your enthusiasm did no favours for your spelling. :D

If any garrysmod.com moderators could fix up the spelling errors on that post (particularly the title, if possible) that would be very welcome... or simply copy the description from the garrysmod.org download, which is a little clearer on the features IMO...

New version is incoming tomorrow probably, just adding stupid cvars like 'twitch_aim_bullettime_onjump' now. (But trust me, auto-bullettime when you are airborne is really cool!)
    mm3guy fixxed the speling xDDD

32. Post #32
    February 2006
    210 Posts
    Did this use those Stat. Aim weapons as a base? Or did you start fresh?
    I just built upon the roughly robust Stat.Aim weapon base. I'd even go far as to say Twitch is functionally the same, it's just a vast improvement in presentation with some additional functionality. I worked out ways of doing things I assumed were impossible when I first made Stat.Aim, often little things you could reasonably take for granted but pose vector-based and angle-based nightmares.

1. the pump-shotty is 'lolwut?' (reloads uber fast and drags behind the cursor in aim mode, not a very good weapon to put in there)
    2. USP is simply amazing
    3. haven't tested out the flashlight thing yet, but it looks awesome
    4. needs 'weapon modes' to change styles of firing
    5. referring to number 4, this should beable to overlap the CS:S Realistic SWEPs, just so we can have it for all weapons and beable to use the firing modes.
    1. That's odd. I've slowed the reload, but it wasn't game-breakingly fast before (I just wanted consistency with the M1014 which needed a slower rate to animate correctly). The dragging behind the cursor in aim mode must be a bug, that's not meant to happen. Anything else odd happen when you tested it?
    4. Weapon modes... possibly, but probably not next version.
    5. Unlikely, it would be a real bitch to combine code at this point.

It looks nice but you could have them looking down the actual sights while twitching (except for the M4, FAMAS, P90 and Sig 552 where they are obstructed, messed up or nonexistent).
    The way models move around the screen when you move your aim - or, more confusingly, the way they don't relative to your actual aim angles, means the movements will never be accurate enough that real sights will work. You'd have to approach the problem quite differently to make the sights constantly align with the screen as you move the weapon around. (One reason I didn't attempt this is that I dislike how ironsight views show up severely incomplete models.)

Also, if anyone happens to know the names of a scope texture (transparent circle inside black area) in HL2 or CS:S or GMod, that would be very handy. I want to add scoped weapons, but I don't want to have non-lua downloads required for the weapons to work.

33. Post #33
    Taught by John Lua
    May 2007
    2,680 Posts
    I absolutley love these SWEPs, you have done an amazing job, well done.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,000 Posts
    1. That's odd. I've slowed the reload, but it wasn't game-breakingly fast before (I just wanted consistency with the M1014 which needed a slower rate to animate correctly). The dragging behind the cursor in aim mode must be a bug, that's not meant to happen. Anything else odd happen when you tested it?
    4. Weapon modes... possibly, but probably not next version.
    5. Unlikely, it would be a real bitch to combine code at this point.
    1. Might've exagerated a bit on reload time, it's not neckbreaking, but it's really unrealistic. Ever seen Ultra Violet? Yea, reloading that fast.
    Haven't tested the auto-shotty yet, but I get what you mean about the anim being out-of-wack with slower reloads. And nothing else is funky that I know of.
    4. Haha, that's better than a 'no'!
    5. Ya, I can understand that, was just a suggestion.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,303 Posts
    I have to agree with Mooee. The reload time is a bit messed up. After firing a shot, I can simply hit "r" and reload that shell in half a second and keep going without running out.

Other than that, this is a godly pack.

What are the commands that allow you to disable the HUD, crosshairs, etc? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

EDIT: This is a bit of a bug report. After I stripped myself of weapons in assmod (single player) and spawned some NPC's to fight with, the twitch weapons have a sort of orange glow to them. Not sure if this is a bug of the weapons themselves or because I had the grav gun on when I stripped my weapons, but it's something to investigate.

36. Post #36
    What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?
    June 2006
    2,341 Posts
    It's not the weapons, that happens sometimes.

37. Post #37
    March 2009
    162 Posts
    I suggest that when you sprint, your weapon is held not in a ready-to-fire position, but against your body
    (like here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GnWnx-ZH5w)

I also suggest adding grenades to the pack, since there's no good grenades that aren't a part of packs. The HE, smoke, and flash grenades from CSS. I have a sound for the flash here: http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=71243

Also, if you're going to add firemodes: Don't, unless you have an original method. All previous methods have failed. Miserably. Weapons with single shot, for example, will continuously tell the client he's firing, but while not depleting his ammunition, spamming muzzleflashes, recoiling, shell ejections, etc, and it's just terrible. Full-auto weapons usually keep depleting ammo without recoil, muzzleflash, or shell ejection - and that's HELL!

What are the commands that allow you to disable the HUD, crosshairs, etc? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

EDIT: This is a bit of a bug report. After I stripped myself of weapons in assmod (single player) and spawned some NPC's to fight with, the twitch weapons have a sort of orange glow to them. Not sure if this is a bug of the weapons themselves or because I had the grav gun on when I stripped my weapons, but it's something to investigate.
    cl_drawhud 0, crosshair 0

And the bottom problem is probably because you stripped when you had your crossbow out or something. With RagMod (and probably parachute), if you ragdoll with the crossbow out, its glow gets stuck on weapons. There is no fix for this, it's been a horrid nuisance since GMod9 (but back then it was like nothing caused it D:)

EDIT: garry just fixed the orange sprite issue :)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,000 Posts
    I suggest that when you sprint, your weapon is held not in a ready-to-fire position, but against your body
    (like here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GnWnx-ZH5w)
    Just need to combine this, CS:S Realistic, and Condition. Then you got one realistic gun.
    I also suggest adding grenades to the pack, since there's no good grenades that aren't a part of packs.
    Again, CS:S Realistic has some awesome ones.
    Also, if you're going to add firemodes: Don't, unless you have an original method. All previous methods have failed. Miserably. Weapons with single shot, for example, will continuously tell the client he's firing, but while not depleting his ammunition, spamming muzzleflashes, recoiling, shell ejections, etc, and it's just terrible. Full-auto weapons usually keep depleting ammo without recoil, muzzleflash, or shell ejection - and that's HELL!
    Eh? I was talking about the E+Mouse2 thing, i.e. Glock is single shot in first mode, switch modes, now it's burst fire.

39. Post #39
    October 2008
    116 Posts
    I just went and added all weapons that was left, except the grenades.
    Great sweps, and when you edit them you can come up with really interesting weapons.

40. Post #40
    March 2009
    162 Posts
    Just need to combine this, CS:S Realistic, and Condition. Then you got one realistic gun.

Again, CS:S Realistic has some awesome ones.

Eh? I was talking about the E+Mouse2 thing, i.e. Glock is single shot in first mode, switch modes, now it's burst fire.
    1. You can't just combine them.
    2. I'm not using their pack just for their grenades. Devenger is a scripter and I'm sure he's determined to make his pack better when he knows he can.
    3. I wasn't talking to you. Plus, those break. A lot. And those were what I was referring to. Unless you play SP alone all the time, you'd know they are VERY prone to not working correctly.