1. Post #81
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,937 Posts
    I realize this a huge bump but a good number of the links are dead.

2. Post #82
    King Shit of Turd Mountain
    July 2009
    8,914 Posts
    How does one bump a sticky...

3. Post #83
    October 2009
    100 Posts
    Last Updated: 06/25/11

Name/Nickname for Comics: JD

Skin:

Comic List: Series

Ghostbreakers - On indefinite hiatus
    #1 - "Pilot"
    #2 - "A Rough Start"
    #3 - "Why me?"
    #4 - "First Day on the Job"

ExtermiNation - On indefinite hiatus
    #1 - "Pilot"

Opinion of latest comic: Probably my last one for a long time.

Upcoming Comic: None.

Teasers/Extra: None.

On A Side Note: Both Ghostbreakers and ExtermiNation are now on indefinite hiatus. I'm not going to mark either dead because it's definitely possible for me to become extremely bored one week and do a new entry in either series.

4. Post #84
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,080 Posts
    I've restored the FP thread links on the ones I could and updated the list with my latest entry: Bodygroups and YOU

Continent 4
    ACT 1
    Episode 1 - Lee Calvert
    Episode 2 - Sarah Gallahan pt.1
    Episode 3 - Sarah Gallahan pt.2
    Episode 4 - The Sergreant

Star Trek: Intrepid
    Episode 1 - Into the Deep

OTHER COMICS:
    tempora mutantur
    Bodygroups and YOU
    Lou Collins - Man of War

That's it for my main comics. If I make more, I'll update this.

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    8,142 Posts
    Updated the list (finally someone @_@)

If you find any dead links, it would really help to tell me which ones exactly so I don't have to go through each and every one.

6. Post #86
    April 2009
    551 Posts
    Fine, these aren't working for me.

How To Make Nesto Flavored Laser Beams!
    Semi-Desaturated SHEFing Tutorial
    Haz-Life's Comic Tutorial
    Bullets and Blood Tutorial.
    Bliblix's Camera angles tutorial.
    How to pose an antilion: By Riller.
    Comic Template PSD/Hints and Tips, And Photoshop Q&A. By: DaveP
    The Screenshots Forum Megatutorial - By Combine_dumb
    The Facepunch Photoshop Tutorial Megathread.
    -Get_A_Life-'s MUZZLEFLASH tutorial
    Hayate's Rain Tutorial
    Poopipoopoo's Fire Tutorial
    Making localized fire in Gmod10, by pMnky
    Dirtydiaper's Explosion Tutorial
    Kaskade007's Smoke Tutorial
    GenericAdmin's Wonderful Guide to Comic Making

And since these are from phw, they only work when replacing "boards.phwonline.info" to "phwboards.info".

AN AMAZING GROUP OF TUTORIALS, PHOTOSHOP, GIMP, IN GAME, EVERYTHING. THANKS TO PHWONLINE FOR THIS ONE.
    Headswapping without Photoshop in GM10
    Ben_912's Screenshot / Comic MegaTutorial (*Possibly outdated*)

7. Post #87
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    8,142 Posts
    Fine, these aren't working for me.

How To Make Nesto Flavored Laser Beams!
    Semi-Desaturated SHEFing Tutorial
    Haz-Life's Comic Tutorial
    Bullets and Blood Tutorial.
    Bliblix's Camera angles tutorial.
    How to pose an antilion: By Riller.
    Comic Template PSD/Hints and Tips, And Photoshop Q&A. By: DaveP
    The Screenshots Forum Megatutorial - By Combine_dumb
    The Facepunch Photoshop Tutorial Megathread.
    -Get_A_Life-'s MUZZLEFLASH tutorial
    Hayate's Rain Tutorial
    Poopipoopoo's Fire Tutorial
    Making localized fire in Gmod10, by pMnky
    Dirtydiaper's Explosion Tutorial
    Kaskade007's Smoke Tutorial
    GenericAdmin's Wonderful Guide to Comic Making

And since these are from phw, they only work when replacing "boards.phwonline.info" to "phwboards.info".

AN AMAZING GROUP OF TUTORIALS, PHOTOSHOP, GIMP, IN GAME, EVERYTHING. THANKS TO PHWONLINE FOR THIS ONE.
    Headswapping without Photoshop in GM10
    Ben_912's Screenshot / Comic MegaTutorial (*Possibly outdated*)
    Well that's a good amount of them...

Someone start making more tutorials lol

8. Post #88
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,937 Posts
    I can't find shit on Haz-life...It's like...he never existed!

9. Post #89
    Fabulous Vailglorous Extraordinaire
    February 2007
    10,708 Posts
    Sad that (almost) all of the tutorials does not work

10. Post #90
    October 2009
    100 Posts
    Uh the link to my post also links to Lt_C's instead. D:

11. Post #91
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    8,142 Posts
    Uh the link to my post also links to Lt_C's instead. D:
    I have no idea what you're talking about, quit being ~crazy~

12. Post #92
    October 2009
    100 Posts
    I have no idea what you're talking about, quit being ~crazy~
    Oh, you sly.

13. Post #93
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    333 Posts
    If only we had a search function...

14. Post #94
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,820 Posts

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    333 Posts
    Well what'dya know, we do.

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,059 Posts
    It really is shame that all the links in "AN AMAZING GROUP OF TUTORIALS, PHOTOSHOP, GIMP, IN GAME, EVERYTHING. THANKS TO PHWONLINE FOR THIS ONE." are broken.

17. Post #97
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,521 Posts
    Any of you fellow comic makers know any good sci-fi maps? By that, I mean in a city or a ship sci-fi style.

No NeoTokyo type of stuff, I'm aiming for a Mass Effect style here.

18. Post #98
    If someone calls you a whore, salute them!
    July 2007
    13,802 Posts
    Damn this place has died.

19. Post #99
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,059 Posts
    Sorta a shame.

20. Post #100
    July 2007
    13,802 Posts
    Eh, was about to happen some time.

Did have a swell time between 2007-2009 though, even with some bumps.

21. Post #101
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,937 Posts
    I blame Rambo and his faggot crew.

22. Post #102
    July 2007
    13,802 Posts
    That was like 2 years ago.

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,820 Posts
    I blame errybodeh

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,937 Posts
    I blame interactive comics.

25. Post #105
    A six sided fish cube of the Flounder variety
    March 2010
    3,182 Posts
    Seeing as most of these tuts are left broken, maybe I can ask a question?

I'm trying to make a comic using photoshop but I don't know the best way to start putting my images together into a strip. Do I really have to do the math to figure out the correct dimensions of all of my images put together? Or is there a simpler way?

26. Post #106
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,542 Posts
    Here's my personal rule of thumb for making a comic:

Either take pictures at resolutions of 1024x768 or 1280x960 (I use this resolution). Always make the width of the page 1000px and the images 1000px as well. That way when you crop your images on the page, it'll basically 'snap' as a perfect fit onto the page and all you need is a thick black border to finish off that panel. Now, this all depends on the style you go for. I generally believe that serious comics, like the ones I prefer making, should be simple and to the point. That is, follow the general rule I just mentioned.

For humor comics, you could follow the same idea. Make the comic page a width of 1000px but make your panel's widths slightly smaller than the page width (like 800px ) then you can apply your borders to both the page and panel and you'll have the classic comic book style in the sense that the panels do not tightly 'snap' onto the page but rather appear to be "floating".

With regards to the height, this usually does not matter. You can make the height as big as you want (for the most part). If I'm making a comic, I'll make it 1000x8000 and see how many panels I can fit in there since I crop a lot of the images before I put them onto the page. If you're out of panels and have left over space, just merge the images and crop out the left over page.

If you want, I can give a visual demonstration what I'm talking about if you want clarification. There is no "right" way to making the pages I suppose. It just requires a little experimentation.

27. Post #107
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    333 Posts
    I tend to use something similar, but a little skinnier I think. I stole it off of Near Elite's tutorial a long time ago. Page width of 900 px and then three vertical, one at 40 px, one at 50 px and one at 860 px. I use two sizes, 800 x 600 for important images (explosions, fighting) or just scenes with lots of stuff. These are snapped to the 50 px guide on the left and follow a single line. For just dialogue I use 400 x 300 in rows of two. One snaps to the 40 on the left and the other snaps to the 860 on the right. Then I apply a simple black border and a little drop shadow. To make things easier I have a template saved with the 3 lines and a throw away layer with the style for the pics on it.

Now you don't really have to do it that way, as long as it is in some kind of order no one will really mind. You could use a template with any style you choose to make things easier though.

28. Post #108
    March 2010
    3,182 Posts
    Thanks for the tips. I'm trying it out now and all seems to be going well so far.

29. Post #109
    March 2010
    3,182 Posts
    Sorry for the double post, but any other tips you would give to someone who wants to give a go at making comics?

30. Post #110
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,542 Posts
    Speech bubbles.

Try to get more circular bubbles instead of the more oval kind. This is influenced by how you organize the text within the bubble. Try to compact the text neatly together, centered in the bubble. That means you may have to cut down on the amount of text in each bubble. There is no rule of thumb on the amount of text in each bubble but try to keep it 6-8 short lines of text, if you know what I mean.

Lines and text placement styles in bubbles (example):

"Wrong"

aksdfjsfkjsfkj
    asdfkjasdfkjasdkfjasdfkjaf
    kasdjfkasjfaskfjaskdfj

"Right!" (but centered)

asdfasdf
    asdfasdfasf
    fasjfdsajd
    asdfad

Something like that. You should get the idea. Unfortunately, the text is automatically aligned to the left of the page on here so the example sort of fails but you should know what I mean.

Like anything in photoshop, it takes practice and patience to find that style that suits you.

I'm trying to think of what else would be a good tip for the basics...

31. Post #111
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,521 Posts
    Sorry for the double post, but any other tips you would give to someone who wants to give a go at making comics?
    Read comic books. Steal Get some inspiration from their layouts.

Story and humor wise, watch cartoons, read Sunday morning comics, play video games, etc.

Depending on the story and premises, you have to use the right maps and models. Since people don't like seeing a map that they're used to, you can download new maps at garrysmod.org or FPSBanana.

For fonts, go to www.dafont.com and www.blambot.com I use Anime Ace and Comic Book for my comics.

32. Post #112
    Respected Member
    January 2005
    759 Posts
    fucking goddamn usaokay
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #113

34. Post #114
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    864 Posts
    Eh, was about to happen some time.

Did have a swell time between 2007-2009 though, even with some bumps.
    necroreply, you ready for it?

And that's when this place was at it's finest. You may have posted this months ago, but I still agree.

Although it's cool that some people still make comics. I stopped. I said I was coming back like twice now, and I don't think it's going to happen. It would be really cool though.

Anyone know if the Steam group still has chats? I haven't even been on Steam in like a year now. Xbox Live took a hold of me.

35. Post #115
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    727 Posts
    necroreply, you ready for it?

And that's when this place was at it's finest. You may have posted this months ago, but I still agree.

Although it's cool that some people still make comics. I stopped. I said I was coming back like twice now, and I don't think it's going to happen. It would be really cool though.

Anyone know if the Steam group still has chats? I haven't even been on Steam in like a year now. Xbox Live took a hold of me.
    This place was the best in '05-'06.

That's when this section was really alive, people started leaving and stuff in '07 - '08.

And in '09 - '10 everyone left because there was such a shitstorm.

36. Post #116
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    864 Posts
    This place was the best in '05-'06.

That's when this section was really alive, people started leaving and stuff in '07 - '08.

And in '09 - '10 everyone left because there was such a shitstorm.
    I think I left in '08.. I can't quite remember. Apparently Facepunch deleted all my old threads or something so I can't check.

You still doing anything here Gogi? You where one of my favorites, lol. Juss' sayin'.

37. Post #117
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    727 Posts
    I think I left in '08.. I can't quite remember. Apparently Facepunch deleted all my old threads or something so I can't check.

You still doing anything here Gogi? You where one of my favorites, lol. Juss' sayin'.
    My old threads are also deleted, it happened when the forum really got infested with trolls and some mod's account got hacked.

I did make a comic not so long ago actually, it should be on the second page by now.

38. Post #118
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    864 Posts
    My old threads are also deleted, it happened when the forum really got infested with trolls and some mod's account got hacked.

I did make a comic not so long ago actually, it should be on the second page by now.
    Yeah I read it, pretty much all the comments summed up everything I thought. It's just like old times, haha.

You know what, I've said it before but I think I'm serious this time. I'm gonna make a comic. It's been quite awhile, I haven't even been on gmod since I stopped making them. It'll happen, sometime.

Also, why is it that terrorist (Arctic Avenger or something like that, I actually don't remember) makes for the best 'idiot' out of all the guys on Counter-Strike? Every time I used him I'd make him the stupid one.

39. Post #119
    October 2009
    100 Posts
    It's been about half a year since I made my last comic and I've just started making comics again, with a new series. Still scrounging for a certain type of map I need. Oh my favorite part, always.

40. Post #120
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    727 Posts
    Yeah I read it, pretty much all the comments summed up everything I thought. It's just like old times, haha.

You know what, I've said it before but I think I'm serious this time. I'm gonna make a comic. It's been quite awhile, I haven't even been on gmod since I stopped making them. It'll happen, sometime.

Also, why is it that terrorist (Arctic Avenger or something like that, I actually don't remember) makes for the best 'idiot' out of all the guys on Counter-Strike? Every time I used him I'd make him the stupid one.
    I don't know actually... He just seems so stupid. Also, i think he's the worst ragdoll of the terrorists.