1. Post #281
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,023 Posts
    Pretty clever, Even that it would generate some collision problems since the "cutten" collision mesh most likely has a hole.
    Uh? The back of a portal is probably a flat wall, and is only see through for now.

Anyway, coming along good Null, I was wondering why you were posting stuff I thought you had completed ages and ages ago. So why are you remaking it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

2. Post #282
    November 2008
    127 Posts
    A web based game, unknown (http://www.costeira.com/unknown/)
    The start page is cryptic
    The login is for my friends & me
    The rest is a secret/suprise (shhhh)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

3. Post #283
    May 2008
    999 Posts
    I feel emasculated after reading the first 3 pages...

Anyways, I don't have any pretty pictures yet, but I'm working on a test for my ai code. Basically going to be lot's of little robots flying around killing and eating each other :D.

...Or possibly spinning around in circles mocking my stupidity.

4. Post #284
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    735 Posts
    Nothing.

Edited:

It would be a complete mindfuck if the portal was two sided and you were messing about with two different objects.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

5. Post #285
    September 2001
    12,435 Posts
    Haha or if the portals were back to back, you put it on one and it came out the other back to front or something

6. Post #286

May 2009
    78 Posts
    I'm currently working on a server control panel. To simply put, it can only start/stop/restart any game server on a unix based system at the moment, I aim is to allow it to setup and manage the dedi's the game servers run on.

I love PHP's ssh2 class :D.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #287
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,450 Posts
    Pretty clever, Even that it would generate some collision problems since the "cutten" collision mesh most likely has a hole.
    Nope, the collision mesh is not cutten.

Edited:

Uh? The back of a portal is probably a flat wall, and is only see through for now.

Anyway, coming along good Null, I was wondering why you were posting stuff I thought you had completed ages and ages ago. So why are you remaking it?
    The old engine was more of a tech demo, it was hard to make it into anything useful. The new engine is written with a much better design in general, and all of this stuff is working out a lot more smoothly than than it did the first time.

8. Post #288

February 2005
    189 Posts
    You could just make a back to the portal instead of having it see-through.

edit: I just realized r4nk_ said the same thing :x

9. Post #289
    April 2008
    933 Posts
    Put the other portal into the 1st portal ?

HEZZY ! Get the guns ...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Turkey Show Events

10. Post #290
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,665 Posts
    Actually, what happens if you do this null?

Could be interesting. If it's buggy you could make it so that if one portal goes through another, the just pass right through.

Edited:

Oh yeah, I've almost finished making my mapmaker.

The brush is scaleable using the '+' and '-' buttons as seen in the bottom panel. When the brush is red (by pressing the delete button), you can erase. Each map part on there is saved in a multidimentional array fuck yeah, so that the map can easily be saved. I haven't programmed saving and opening map files yet but it should be easy.

I'm not going to reveal what it's for yet...    because I don't know yet for myself, although I have a few ideas.   

11. Post #291
    February 2009
    853 Posts

Could be interesting. If it's buggy you could make it so that if one portal goes through another, the just pass right through.

Edited:

Oh yeah, I've almost finished making my mapmaker.

The brush is scaleable using the '+' and '-' buttons as seen in the bottom panel. When the brush is red (by pressing the delete button), you can erase. Each map part on there is saved in a multidimentional array fuck yeah, so that the map can easily be saved. I haven't programmed saving and opening map files yet but it should be easy.

I'm not going to reveal what it's for yet...    because I don't know yet for myself, although I have a few ideas.   
    Can i haz source? :3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events

12. Post #292
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,450 Posts

Well, currently, it would try to split the portal into two spots. The problem is that the splitting is all smoke and mirrors, as with everything else in games, so the second "part" of the portal that went through will be disfunctional. I'm thinking of simply allowing portals to collide with each other, instead of passing through.

Nice, simplicity is golden.

13. Post #293
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,739 Posts
    Nice! Metroid mod?
    yea something like that. gotta get all the coding done first because that's the most vital part.

14. Post #294
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,665 Posts
    Well, currently, it would try to split the portal into two spots. The problem is that the splitting is all smoke and mirrors, as with everything else in games, so the second "part" of the portal that went through will be disfunctional. I'm thinking of simply allowing portals to collide with each other, instead of passing through.

Nice, simplicity is golden.
    But would the other half of the portal still stick out of the second? And that's a good idea. Also, thanks :). Wi would make a video of it in use, but in my screen recorder, if the video doesn't meet the specified FPS it speeds the video up to reach it, which is really annoying.

15. Post #295
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,665 Posts
    Triple post apparently :O.

16. Post #296
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,665 Posts
    Sorry guys.

17. Post #297
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,450 Posts
    But would the other half of the portal still stick out of the second? And that's a good idea. Also, thanks :). Wi would make a video of it in use, but in my screen recorder, if the video doesn't meet the specified FPS it speeds the video up to reach it, which is really annoying.
    Try Camstudio.

18. Post #298

June 2009
    94 Posts
    Pretty much started programming last week. Finally setup a window, initialized directx and output the mouse Pos at the top of the screen if the project was built in debug. I'll probably have a console to toggle it on/off in the future.

Making a habbo type chatroom that focuses more on building with pixel art objects.

19. Post #299
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    7,584 Posts
    Try Camstudio.
    Camstudio is good, been using it for quite a while now. However when recording games I get the wierd colour bands (like an image reduced from 32 bit to 8 bit colour) and the same kind of problem with hypercam where parts of the image don't change properly when the colour hasn't changed significantly in game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iiAyD45RmE <- sort of like that.

What do you use to record portalized? Camstudio as well? If so what settings do you use?

20. Post #300
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,665 Posts
    I'm on Linux, and I'm using XVidCap. It''s actually really good, I just need to get to grips with all of the settings. It's command line based :).

21. Post #301
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,450 Posts
    Camstudio is good, been using it for quite a while now. However when recording games I get the wierd colour bands (like an image reduced from 32 bit to 8 bit colour) and the same kind of problem with hypercam where parts of the image don't change properly when the colour hasn't changed significantly in game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iiAyD45RmE <- sort of like that.

What do you use to record portalized? Camstudio as well? If so what settings do you use?
    Nah, fraps.

22. Post #302
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,665 Posts
    Fraps is brilliant for fullscreen things. I can't wait to get onto programming this game :D.

23. Post #303
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    671 Posts
    It's kinda stupid to open up a new thread just for this, and this is almost like a chat thread so why not:

I need a formula to find out a normal vector to a line defined by two points (the points have x and y values). I assume a normal vector is the vector perpendicular to the line and of length 1. Google didn't help much.

Also there should be two normals to one line amirite?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Croatia Show Events

24. Post #304
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    It's kinda stupid to open up a new thread just for this, and this is almost like a chat thread so why not:

I need a formula to find out a normal vector to a line defined by two points (the points have x and y values). I assume a normal vector is the vector perpendicular to the line and of length 1. Google didn't help much.
    IIRC, a normal is just a perpendicular vector. It doesn't have to have a length of one. It's very basic math, you can probably find the info you're looking for on wikipedia.

25. Post #305
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,023 Posts

Just cross it with a vector in the z direction, eg:

( x, y, 0 ) x ( 0, 0, 1 )

where x is the cross product.

And then you have to normalise the result. If you want the other normal for the line just cross it with ( 0, 0, -1 )
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

26. Post #306
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    3,577 Posts
    A vector has an infinitive amount of normals (at least in a >2D space).
    And yes, normals don't have to be unitvectors.
    To find one of the two in a 2D space, you can simply switch the x and y coordinates and negate one element != 0 (since you are in a 2D space :D).

27. Post #307
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,412 Posts
    Learning C++, using the best guide out there (according to some of the people I know)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

28. Post #308
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    372 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

29. Post #309
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,450 Posts

This is actually quite simple. Find the direction from one point to the other, and then rotate the vector 90 degrees: r90(x, y) -> (-y, x)
    Code:
    vec2 dir = point0 - point1;
    vec2 perpendicular(-dir.y, dir.x);
    And then you can normalize it:
    Code:
    perpendicular.normalize();

30. Post #310
    July 2009
    5 Posts
    not programming and looks like shit regardless

(User was permabanned for this post ("troll" - garry))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

31. Post #311
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    239 Posts
    I got vector graphics working. I don't know how I'm going to do my borders between Green (Buildable) zones and Red (not buildable) zones.

32. Post #312
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    315 Posts
    Got a basic calculator going for windows mobile. It's not much at all, but it still looks better than the default one. I'll probably get a scientific mode going, and then start work on skinning it to make it better looking.

.exe link(also works in windows)
    http://jivemasta.com/programs/JiveCalc.exe

.cab installer(for phones)
    http://jivemasta.com/programs/JiveCalcSetup.cab

33. Post #313
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,450 Posts
    Got a basic calculator going for windows mobile. It's not much at all, but it still looks better than the default one. I'll probably get a scientific mode going, and then start work on skinning it to make it better looking.

Nice and simple, looks good.

34. Post #314
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,790 Posts

Make the buttons Eyecandy-ish, Try running it on WM6.5, it might look better, and yeah, good work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events

35. Post #315
    July 2009
    5 Posts
    I got vector graphics working. I don't know how I'm going to do my borders between Green (Buildable) zones and Red (not buildable) zones.

loving the coder design
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

36. Post #316
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    239 Posts
    loving the coder design
    except it looks terrible and I'm not sure how to fix it. I think I'm going to remove the border between the red tiles, and make a bold red border for the green tiles

37. Post #317
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    169 Posts
    I love the bloom!

38. Post #318
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    642 Posts
    except it looks terrible and I'm not sure how to fix it. I think I'm going to remove the border between the red tiles, and make a bold red border for the green tiles
    Why aren't you using a background image and sprites for the objects?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

39. Post #319
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,665 Posts
    Can i haz source? :3
    I'm thinking about making this open source depending on how well it goes :). So if I muck it up and just not use it, then yeah sure :D.

40. Post #320
    February 2009
    853 Posts
    I'm thinking about making this open source depending on how well it goes :). So if I muck it up and just not use it, then yeah sure :D.
    Cool. .D