1. Post #121
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,720 Posts
    ITT Shugo589 pretends to be a lawyer on the internet
    He's entirely right though. That's why private schools for the same reason can, and DO discriminate who gets into them. It may not be be fair, but technically it's legal.

There was a case over here recently about an Islamic woman who wanted to work at a private school (Christian one (I believe her reasoning was because it was the closest school to her house and that they were in need of someone with her 'expertise') and they told her that she couldn't work there 'cos she was Islamic.

I don't think anyone listened to her though because it was a private school and they could do as they pleased. I wish there was a follow up story so that I could see what came from all of that.

2. Post #122
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,603 Posts
    Why would you assume the black kid is always from from the inner city?
    It said they were from Philadelphia.

Edited:

referring to the bold, if you read the fucking article, you'd know that it wasn't because of the size of the group that made them kick the kids out. it was because they were black! One woman said "what are these black kids doing here? I don't want them to hurt my child!" the camp counselors were told that the club didn't allow minorities.

referring to the italics... I never saw anything referring to them as from an inner-city area. are you saying this because they're black? are you saying that the owners wanted to prevent disorder caused by them because they MAY have come from an inner city district?

Ah! I get it now! you're a big, fat, BIGOT! :dogout:
    You're trying to argue with me for the sole purpose of trying to identify me as a bigot.
    I'm not, it is absolutely true that the club has the right to kick them out.
    The funny thing is that we haven't seen these kids.
    I'm betting they were a rowdy inner-city bunch, seeing as though they were from Philadelphia.
    However, we can't be sure, I guess.

3. Post #123
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,706 Posts
    He's entirely right though. That's why private schools for the same reason can, and DO discriminate who gets into them. It may not be be fair, but technically it's legal.

There was a case over here recently about an Islamic woman who wanted to work at a private school (Christian one (I believe her reasoning was because it was the closest school to her house and that they were in need of someone with her 'expertise') and they told her that she couldn't work there 'cos she was Islamic.

I don't think anyone listened to her though because it was a private school and they could do as they pleased. I wish there was a follow up story so that I could see what came from all of that.
    I don't think they didn't listen to her was because they were a private school, but because of the HUGE FUCKING RELIGIOUS DIFFERENCE.

She was Islamic, that was a Christian School.

"but wait, Xenomoose," you may be saying, "wouldn't the racial difference between the black people and the white clubowners have the same basic argument as the islamic woman and the catholic school?"

no, because the club never said "white people only", nor does it say "no colored people allowed." which gives the campers reason to believe that they WOULD be allowed, and weren't told otherwise until they joined and were just about to enjoy it's commodities.

and before you start accusing me of contradiction, the religion case is significantly different because we're talking about two almost completely different cultures right here. meanwhile, the cultural differences between a Black American and a White American are jack squat. any kid, black or white, could grow up to be just the same, whether they grew up with a poor family in the innermost part of an inner city area, or if they grew up with responsible parents in a nice suburb.

Edited:

You're trying to argue with me for the sole purpose of trying to identify me as a bigot.
    I'm not, it is absolutely true that the club has the right to kick them out.
    The funny thing is that we haven't seen these kids.
    I'm betting they were a rowdy inner-city bunch, seeing as though they were from Philadelphia.
    so.. because they grew up in a particular city, they're most likely inner-city troublemakers?

that's like saying everyone from LA's a gangbanger. that's like saying everyone in NYC's a ghetto scumbag. that's like saying everyone from the California Coast is a totally rad surfer dude/dudette. it may seem that way because of how the media portrays it, but it's not necessarily TRUE.

it's just generalizing from what you've heard, but not necessarily experienced firsthand, unless you grew up in Phillie. and seeing as you're not an inner-city troublemaker that means you either didn't, or your generalizations are false. pick one. I'll be back sometime tomorrow to see. g'night.

(I'm actually starting to enjoy this argument. shame.)

4. Post #124
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,365 Posts
    next open a gym and don't let blacks in because their sweat is black and it stains the equipment.
    No, don't let blacks in because they are physically superior to everyone due to slavery...

White people took the strongest and best blacks and made them have super black babies... So they would make all the white people look bad in the gym.

5. Post #125
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,720 Posts
    Discrimination against religions is still discrimination though. As long as she's not trying to convert anybody or blabbing about her religion why not hire her? I'm fairly sure the school didn't say, "Christians only," or she wouldn't have bothered to apply (however that said it should be relatively obvious that they'd only hire Christians, what with it being a Christian school and all).

You can't pick and choose with discrimination, that's unfair in itself. If it's discrimination not to let black people into a club, then it's discrimination not to let a Muslim into a private school (the fact is, both ARE discriminatory, but both ARE perfectly legal if it's a privately owned club/school/whatever as the people in charge get to decide who comes in).

And anyway, is the word of god* not to treat others fairly and as you would have them treat you? To be kind and compassionate towards your fellow man? To set aside your differences and live in peace? If the school is not to be hypocritical and ignore their beliefs then surely they should have let her teach there. She's as much of a person as they are even if she does believe in something different. Just as black people are as much people as white people are, even if their skin is a different colour.

*Note: I do not believe in god. I reject the idea of his existence.

6. Post #126
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    60 black, Philadelphian campers barge in.
    I see that as being a bit intrusive and disruptive to the community.
    They paid for it, smart one.

I don't know what kind of capitalist society denies people their right of something they've paid for.

Edited:

fresh prince of bellair is not research bro

7. Post #127

July 2009
    78 Posts
    What the actual fuck, do these people think black people eat children or something? I thought this shit ended 40 years ago.
    Give it a rest with the phony outrage.

Edited:

Extrapolation: TH89 relies upon the appeal to authority fallacy for sustenance.

8. Post #128
    June 2009
    1,408 Posts
    I don't see a problem.

9. Post #129
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    I don't see a problem.
    when richard nixon sees no problem, there's a problem

10. Post #130
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,603 Posts
    I don't think they didn't listen to her was because they were a private school, but because of the HUGE FUCKING RELIGIOUS DIFFERENCE.

She was Islamic, that was a Christian School.

"but wait, Xenomoose," you may be saying, "wouldn't the racial difference between the black people and the white clubowners have the same basic argument as the islamic woman and the catholic school?"

no, because the club never said "white people only", nor does it say "no colored people allowed." which gives the campers reason to believe that they WOULD be allowed, and weren't told otherwise until they joined and were just about to enjoy it's commodities.

and before you start accusing me of contradiction, the religion case is significantly different because we're talking about two almost completely different cultures right here. meanwhile, the cultural differences between a Black American and a White American are jack squat. any kid, black or white, could grow up to be just the same, whether they grew up with a poor family in the innermost part of an inner city area, or if they grew up with responsible parents in a nice suburb.

Edited:

so.. because they grew up in a particular city, they're most likely inner-city troublemakers?

that's like saying everyone from LA's a gangbanger. that's like saying everyone in NYC's a ghetto scumbag. that's like saying everyone from the California Coast is a totally rad surfer dude/dudette. it may seem that way because of how the media portrays it, but it's not necessarily TRUE.

it's just generalizing from what you've heard, but not necessarily experienced firsthand, unless you grew up in Phillie. and seeing as you're not an inner-city troublemaker that means you either didn't, or your generalizations are false. pick one. I'll be back sometime tomorrow to see. g'night.

(I'm actually starting to enjoy this argument. shame.)
    What would happen if a bunch of blacks were bounced out of a gig in the city?
    Is that a crime?

11. Post #131
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,230 Posts
    What the hell, are they stuck in the 50's or something?
    This.

12. Post #132

July 2009
    78 Posts
    What an insightful comment.

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    6,406 Posts
    Oh that filthy bastard. No amount of turpentine can clean that unconscionable stain on his rep. Even though it was a private pool, he had no right, no reasonable justification to do that evil thing.

14. Post #134
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    321 Posts
    Haha, I thought the title mean't that they were afraid that the water in the pool would become black :D

But overall, what the fuck is wrong with these people?

15. Post #135
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    300 Posts
    People have brought up employment and how various types of discrimination are illegal in that circumstance, but I fail to see how it can be enforced short of the employer actually saying to the applicant that they can't get a job because they're black. Isn't it just as easy to say they didn't get the job because their attitude wasn't right for the company or something along those lines? Because in order to successfully take an employer to court over this you would actually have to demonstrate they didn't hire you because of whatever form of illegal discrimination they supposedly committed which would be impossible if the employer doesn't state this to anyone.

16. Post #136
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,266 Posts
    Discrimination against religions is still discrimination though. As long as she's not trying to convert anybody or blabbing about her religion why not hire her? I'm fairly sure the school didn't say, "Christians only," or she wouldn't have bothered to apply (however that said it should be relatively obvious that they'd only hire Christians, what with it being a Christian school and all).

You can't pick and choose with discrimination, that's unfair in itself. If it's discrimination not to let black people into a club, then it's discrimination not to let a Muslim into a private school (the fact is, both ARE discriminatory, but both ARE perfectly legal if it's a privately owned club/school/whatever as the people in charge get to decide who comes in).

And anyway, is the word of god* not to treat others fairly and as you would have them treat you? To be kind and compassionate towards your fellow man? To set aside your differences and live in peace? If the school is not to be hypocritical and ignore their beliefs then surely they should have let her teach there. She's as much of a person as they are even if she does believe in something different. Just as black people are as much people as white people are, even if their skin is a different colour.

*Note: I do not believe in god. I reject the idea of his existence.
    Not everyone can be Michael Jackson and change their race, however.

17. Post #137
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,720 Posts
    Not everyone can be Michael Jackson and change their race, however.
    Apparently he had Vitiligo.

18. Post #138
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,266 Posts
    Apparently he had Vitiligo.
    Not everyone can have Vitiligo.

19. Post #139
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    7,143 Posts
    haha awesome excuse

20. Post #140
    November 2008
    520 Posts
    That's what I was thinking.

But anyway, that's really... I'm not even sure. It goes beyond stupidity. Black people and white people are exactly the same aside from the fact one has white/peachy colored skin and the other has brown colored skin. When will people realize that?

If I was one of the kids in the pool I would have gone up too one of the black kids and asked too be friends |:
    Seriously, what were the white kids so afraid of? It's not like a bunch of zombie children got into the pool.

21. Post #141
    June 2008
    226 Posts
    black people aren't bad, it's the damn zombies you need to worry about, give them some time and they'll go feral on you
    Then god damn raiders too...

Anyway,

Well SOME black people are bad, but some are good, like with all races.

Except mexicans...... Dem illegals hoppin mah borderz.

22. Post #142
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    4,300 Posts
    Well at least I dont have to bring my gauge, a uzi and the mothafuckin 22 to the pool with me just to feel safe.

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,242 Posts
    They can allow or disallow anyone to pay for their shit if it's private.
    If it's based on race they can't. It's against the law to discriminate against race under any circumstances.

24. Post #144
    May 2007
    190 Posts
    If it's private, they really have no ground for legal action.. This has happened before, and nothing came out of it.

25. Post #145
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    300 Posts
    If it's based on race they can't. It's against the law to discriminate against race under any circumstances.
    No. If you think this then you're stupid, and separating by race isn't he only form of discrimination. It's a fact of life that black people are different from white people and that males are different from females etc etc, so it's no surprise they are treated differently in certain situations. This of course isn't one of those situations, but for example if I wasn't attracted to black women then I wouldn't hit on them and would turn them down if they hit on me etc and that would be discrimination, but by no means is it or should it ever be illegal. Also, while your post doesn't specifically mention other types of discrimination, I'd imagine you feel the same way about other major types such as the aforementioned gender one. If a dude started hitting on me then I would absolutely turn him down based on sex and that would be sexist, but I guess you wouldn't want to get in trouble with the 'law' ;).

26. Post #146
    May 2009
    361 Posts
    Hell if I went to a medium-sized pool and sixty kids all came into the pool I would just leave.

Regardless of race.

27. Post #147
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,106 Posts
    Maybe the lifeguard mixed them up with killer whales. Those are black too.
    hey my brother was a killer whale

28. Post #148
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,059 Posts
    Maybe the lifeguard mixed them up with killer whales. Those are black too.
    Hay your the BLACK mod :smugdog:

29. Post #149
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,021 Posts
    It's a private club, they can do what they want.

30. Post #150
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,603 Posts
    Proof please?

Edited:

No. If you think this then you're stupid, and separating by race isn't he only form of discrimination. It's a fact of life that black people are different from white people and that males are different from females etc etc, so it's no surprise they are treated differently in certain situations. This of course isn't one of those situations, but for example if I wasn't attracted to black women then I wouldn't hit on them and would turn them down if they hit on me etc and that would be discrimination, but by no means is it or should it ever be illegal. Also, while your post doesn't specifically mention other types of discrimination, I'd imagine you feel the same way about other major types such as the aforementioned gender one. If a dude started hitting on me then I would absolutely turn him down based on sex and that would be sexist, but I guess you wouldn't want to get in trouble with the 'law' ;).
    Totally agree.
    Some people are stupid enough to believe that race is immaterial.
    There are differences among race and that is what makes our country such a flavorful and diverse one.

31. Post #151
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,929 Posts
    Totally agree.
    Some people are stupid enough to believe that race is immaterial.
    There are differences among race and that is what makes our country such a flavorful and diverse one.
    yeah. for example: without black people, what race would there be for you to assume are from the inner city?

I don't want a bunch of inner-city kids in my private pool club.
    You assume that the black people are from the inner city, despite the fact that the article says, IN THE FIRST SENTENCE, that they are from Northeastern Philadelphia, not central Philadelphia.

Edited:

60 black, Philadelphian campers barge in.
    They didn't fucking barge in, they payed the fee. And don't act like it's all innocuous, the owner of the club even said that their race was an issue.

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,729 Posts
    Black adults aren't bad, but teenagers are real asses sometimes. I can understand why those people got scared, especially when you hear about that guy and his family beaten by black teenagers, and see 60 kids probably cursing and throwing shit. But kicking them out is still fucked up.

33. Post #153
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,098 Posts
    Yeah who gives a fuck, it's private. I could make a private waterpark, hang up a sign that says "NO NIGGERS ALLOWED" and it'd be legal.
    And I'm sure you'd have a lot of people of all colours giving you a hard time. I'd rip the sign down.

34. Post #154
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    11,833 Posts
    Meh, Chrysler(Before they went bankrupt) is a privately owned company, so you're saying they are allowed to discriminate?
    They should be able to, yes.

It's mean to do so, but if that's what a PRIVATE company wants to do, then so be it.

I mean, I don't know why they would, they would lose sales, and would also look like a bigot company too, so that would also cost them business, but, it should be their choice.

35. Post #155
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,706 Posts
    What would happen if a bunch of blacks were bounced out of a gig in the city?
    Is that a crime?
    only if the only reason they got kicked out was because they were black. then it is. anybody can be as rowdy and stupid as these inner-city black philidelphians you hate so much. jocks, for example.

36. Post #156
    February 2008
    368 Posts
    Jesus Christ.

Where's the black panther party when you need it?

37. Post #157
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,021 Posts
    And I'm sure you'd have a lot of people of all colours giving you a hard time. I'd rip the sign down.
    And I'd make you buy me a new one.

38. Post #158
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,603 Posts
    yeah. for example: without black people, what race would there be for you to assume are from the inner city?

You assume that the black people are from the inner city, despite the fact that the article says, IN THE FIRST SENTENCE, that they are from Northeastern Philadelphia, not central Philadelphia.

Edited:

They didn't fucking barge in, they payed the fee. And don't act like it's all innocuous, the owner of the club even said that their race was an issue.
    I generally find that when over 50 children flood into a medium-sized club, being in one group, I find that to be a bit of an intrusion.

Edited:

Jesus Christ.

Too busy killing whites and inciting violence.

39. Post #159
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    4,300 Posts
    Jesus Christ.

Yes a militant pro black group would really improve the situation.

40. Post #160
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,706 Posts
    I generally find that when over 50 children flood into a medium-sized club, being in one group, I find that to be a bit of an intrusion.
    you probably wouldn't make a good father.